Atheism and homosexuality

Dec 5, 2011 Full story: Conservapedia 3,862

Creationist scientists and creationist assert that the theory of evolution cannot account for the origin of gender and sexual reproduction.http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/136http://www.answersingenesis.org/pbs_nova/0928ep5.asp [[Creation Ministries International]] states: "Homosexual acts go against [[God]]'s original [[Intelligent design ... (more)

Full Story

“No Headline available”

Level 2

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#2092 Aug 28, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Where's the greater harm? A gay couple having to be referred to a less religious photographer or the government fining the photographer for her artistic freedom? Where's the greater tolerance?
The greater harm comes at your attempts at thought, all of which are magnificent failures.

Brian, do you have the mental capacity to articulate how having to take photographs of a gay couple in any way infringes upon the photographer's free exercise of religion, which would begin to indicate that you are not a complete imbecile and that your argument is valid?

I don't think you do.

DNF

“Judge more and you love less”

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH-Baltimore MD-S.Fla

#2093 Aug 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe it.
Where are your peer reviewed examples?
This is the sort of claim that requires more than one test since errors can happen, bias can affect the result.
You made the positive claim the burden of proof is therefore on you.
Power of Prayer: Studies Find Prayer Can Lead to Cooperation, Forgiveness in Relationships
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/05/...

Does prayer have the power to heal? Scientists have some surprising answers.
http://www.webmd.com/balance/features/can-pra...

Testing Prayer: Can Science Prove the Healing Power of Prayer?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/candy-gunther-b...

Now if you can provide links that show prayer is harmful I'd be happy to look at them as well.

DNF

Level 2

#2094 Aug 28, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So unlike any physicist or philosopher in the world, you know for certain that the universe has always existed.
Hilarious.
While we have some theories of an eternal universe and some of one with starting points, all real scientists agree that we do not have sufficient information to determine which scenario is true.
Neither do you.
Give it up. A REAL skeptic is one who says "I do not know" when he does not know. A REAL skeptic will not accept the existence of something unless there is evidence for it - which is why I do not believe in God - BUT knows where to stop. Lack of evidence of existence is NOT PROOF of non-existence.
Your statements are as stupidly dogmatic as the worst Christian's, and you are afflicted with the same disease.
I never ceases to amaze me that people such as skeptics and atheists can be just as fascist as christian fundamentalists.

You say I have a disease because I believe in God, while they say I have a disease because I am sinning.

Both make moral judgements based on their own opinions not on knowing me as a whole person.

DNF

Level 2

#2095 Aug 28, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Where's the greater harm? A gay couple having to be referred to a less religious photographer or the government fining the photographer for her artistic freedom? Where's the greater tolerance?
The government did NOT fire her. They treated her just as they would any bigot who defies the laws she did.

You claim to be so moral yet you insist on telling lies.

I guess you'd be OK with people refusing to do business with Christians just as they did with Jews in Nazi Germany.

After all it's their "artistic freedom" and her use of religious discrimination that matters more to you than the law or what is moral and just.

DNF

Level 2

#2096 Aug 28, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Wow I never understood that a group of men in white sheets and hoods burning a cross on a black person's lawn was simply an exercise in "artistic freedom". I guess those tattoos in Nazi Concentration Camps was just "artistic expression as well.

Care to show where artistic freedom is covered in non discrimination laws?

LMAO!

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#2097 Aug 28, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I never ceases to amaze me that people such as skeptics and atheists can be just as fascist as christian fundamentalists.
You say I have a disease because I believe in God, while they say I have a disease because I am sinning.
Both make moral judgements based on their own opinions not on knowing me as a whole person.
I don't say you have a disease if you believe that God is possible.

I do say that jumping from there to dogmatic insistence that a bunch of scriptures, purporting to be from God but actually written by a bunch of ancients, should determine:

how we should live
how we should accept or reject science
how we should make laws

etc

You can only maintain these things by a dogmatic attachment to convictions YOU personally have that you cannot demonstrate are true or even close to true.

This is the whole rub of the "evolution debate forum". The arguments against evolution are almost always, almost entirely, motivated by people whose sacred texts are contradicted...especially if they interpret those scriptures literally.

Yes, I would call that a disease of severe reality denial. And I wouldn't care except that scriptural dogmatists in their various guises are currently wrecking the world.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#2098 Aug 28, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Religious and moral reasons not to want to participate in a same sex marriage. Nobody can force you to attend an opposite sex marriage; why should these three victims of Political Correctness be persecuted for their religion?
<quoted text>These hate laws harm free expression and speech, a photographer's art has been corrupted by court action. A baker is forced to support a service he finds immoral; where's the tolerance in charging a florist with violating state codes when all she's done is turned down an invitation to photograph a same sex wedding?
<quoted text>I've never been divorced; I don't make false and derogatory claims about my political opponents; this is where we differ. There are good and bad people on both sides of this issue. Many homosexuals support one man and one woman marriage.
I believe their dishonest because truth and reason aren't on their side.
<quoted text>Thanks for trying.
So it's more moral to deny someone of their Constitutional rights? Got it.

Oh, and uh...
Brian_G wrote:
I believe their dishonest because truth and reason aren't on their side.
Irony meter go boom.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#2099 Aug 28, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Power of Prayer: Studies Find Prayer Can Lead to Cooperation, Forgiveness in Relationships
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/05/...
Does prayer have the power to heal? Scientists have some surprising answers.
http://www.webmd.com/balance/features/can-pra...
Testing Prayer: Can Science Prove the Healing Power of Prayer?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/candy-gunther-b...
Now if you can provide links that show prayer is harmful I'd be happy to look at them as well.
Prayer isn't harmful as there is no mechanism to cause harm, unless we're talking about the placebo effect, whether it be positive or negative. So far beyond placebo I highly doubt that there is evidence to support a positive claim.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1849...

But if Christians (for example) feel better if they get prayed for I'm all for it. If it helps a positive mental outlook then that in itself can help recovery.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#2100 Aug 28, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I never ceases to amaze me that people such as skeptics and atheists can be just as fascist as christian fundamentalists.
I'm pretty sure that when he said the 'worst Christians' he was referring to fundies and not Christians of the non-fundie variety.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Level 2

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2101 Aug 28, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you think costs tax payers more,,, Tax free churches or government tit sucking free loaders that don't want to work, live for free, eat for free, have health care for free, in some cases have more children to get a bigger check not to mention some live better than some hard working people.
You describe 99.999% of your typical Christian here.

Classic.

Can you spell "hypocrisy?" Good.

Level 2

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2102 Aug 28, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Yer still nuts. The mods roll their eyes when they see your complaints, crybaby.
Nope.

They delete the offensive posts.

I just confirmed several I had reported, are now gone.

Level 2

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2103 Aug 28, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Response to this and your posts that followed.

Firstly I do not cling to any God possibility. I fully accept death as full and final, and that we are on our own as far as developing rules and morals to live by.
I realize this now, and also realize we got cross-posted between your comments, Skeptic's over-the-top/knee-jerk stuff and what I said.

I suspect you and I are far closer in our outlooks than either one of us realizes.
Chimney1 wrote:
But when I say God is a possibility, I am talking about sentience as author of a universe that is run on the laws we can discern from our observations and logic. Certainly not from delusionals claiming God spoke to them whether now or 3000 years ago. I am merely acknowledging that it is a possibility we have not been able to definitively rule out. But its far more likely to me that sentience is a product, not the cause, of the universe.
I cannot definitively rule out some sort of super-god-being.

But it seems to be contrary to everything discovered about the universe so far.

Or else, the limits placed on this god-being are pretty severe, in light of our current understanding of the universe, that we may as well not even use the word "god" to describe it.
Chimney1 wrote:
As far as my practical views go I cannot be distinguished from any athiest.

Now, I do have a problem with those who wish to REPLACE Christian dogma with new dogmas. These include the rabid marxists and even those who propose a so called Humanist Manifesto. They are merely finding new dogmas to cling to. Its the whole notion of dogmatic thinking that is a problem.
I'm rather against **any** sort of worldview that is backed by force.

The little-L libertarian in me, I suppose.(in contrast to TeaBagger's noxious version)

Level 2

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2104 Aug 28, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Where so do you see bigotry in not wanting to participate in a same sex wedding?
Nobody is forcing **YOU**, bigot.

If a person is selling to the PUBLIC? They are not permitted to be a bigot.

If they don't like that? They are free to NOT sell to the public ever again.

“Lets all play DantheDipshyts”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

game.of annoyance. It's fun.

#2105 Aug 28, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The lost tax revenue from churches would *far* outweigh what we pay for social services.
<quoted text>
And those that have food, clothing, good jobs, and health care seem to think nobody else deserves them.
Instead of complaining that some poor people get a few breaks, why don't you complain about the huge companies that are subsidized? They take much more than the poor.
I live in a small town. There are around 12 churches. Now lets say each church gets a $30,000 tax break annually. That would be $360,000. Now also in this small town there are 150 (probably higher, using a low number) that live off the government getting rent, utilities, food, health care at a cost of around $1,200 per month(again that is a guess). 150 x $1,200 =$180,000 per month at a total of $2,160,000 annually.

And in the statement people thinking others don't deserve what they get,,, just look at how many say that about the ones living off the government by saying they get too much or need to be taken off of it. The ones that work don't like the ones that get all they do for not working and the ones that don't work want what the working people have so they always say they don't receive enough to live on trying to get more.

Level 5

#2106 Aug 28, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
You describe 99.999% of your typical Christian here.
Classic.
Can you spell "hypocrisy?" Good.
There ya go. First thing in your reply is to take a poke at and rundown religious people. And you call yourself not a bigot or hypocrite. You are just like Brian G but on the other side of the fence doing the same thing.

“The Intrepid”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#2107 Aug 28, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
it was launched thousands of years ago and its called religion.
There "were" NO atheists thousands of years ago. Everybody worshiped some sort of supernatural entity.

Loon.

“The Intrepid”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#2108 Aug 28, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Or we always have done.
<quoted text>
"We can assert with certainty that the Universe is all center, or that the center of the Universe is everywhere and the circumference nowhere." ~ Giordano Bruno

xD
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#2109 Aug 28, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>There "were" NO atheists thousands of years ago. Everybody worshiped some sort of supernatural entity.
Loon.
It was likely that there may have been some, but very few would have spoken out due to the often fatal consequences of blasphemy. Mind you even Marcus Aurelius contemplated it on occasion:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Since it is possible that thou mayest depart from life this very moment, regulate every act and thought accordingly. But to go away from among men, if there are gods, is not a thing to be afraid of, for the gods will not involve thee in evil; but if indeed they do not exist, or if they have no concern about human affairs, what is it to me to live in a universe devoid of gods or devoid of Providence?
After all, theism is a learned concept.

Level 2

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2110 Aug 28, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
There ya go. First thing in your reply is to take a poke at and rundown religious people. And you call yourself not a bigot or hypocrite. You are just like Brian G but on the other side of the fence doing the same thing.
No-- the difference?

Religious people **deserve** all the disrespect they get....

.... chiefly because religion and it's accompanying **bigotry** is a **choice***...

... whereas being born gay is **not.**

Level 5

#2111 Aug 28, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
No-- the difference?
Religious people **deserve** all the disrespect they get....
.... chiefly because religion and it's accompanying **bigotry** is a **choice***...
... whereas being born gay is **not.**
Bob let me ask you a question. Now by being born gay would that be considered a negative mutation in evolution being it will likely result in them not having offspring, which likely means their genes will not be passed on?

Not being a butt, just asking a question.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 3 min karl44 134,013
An atheistic view on evolution vs. a godly view... 21 min Kong_ 690
How would creationists explain... 3 hr Dogen 435
Science News (Sep '13) Wed positronium 2,944
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) Dec 22 Chimney1 13,624
Creationism coming to Ohio classrooms? Not with... Dec 20 nobody 7
24 hour dental emergency (Nov '13) Dec 19 Zach 4
More from around the web