New Orleans schools ban creationism and 'revisionist' history in rebuke of Texas

Dec 19, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Raw Story

The school board for Orleans Parish in Louisiana voted Tuesday night to ban the teaching of creationism as science and what they called a "revisionist" history curriculum promoted by the state of Texas.

Comments
101 - 120 of 206 Comments Last updated Jan 22, 2013
Level 6

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
We evolved from other life forms,
No, the human race has devolved. You certainly believe that you're a superior human being but indisputably you're a mutant.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Shubee wrote:
<quoted text>Why am I debating this with you? Middle-school students have greater powers of discernment!
Not when you're done with them, they don't.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Shubee wrote:
<quoted text>No, the human race has devolved. You certainly believe that you're a superior human being but indisputably you're a mutant.
Way to demonstrate you know nothing of evolution at all.
Level 6

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Way to demonstrate you know nothing of evolution at all.
Come on! You're obviously a mutant and mutants aren't evolved.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Shubee wrote:
<quoted text>Come on! You're obviously a mutant and mutants aren't evolved.
Mutation is evolution, every change, every difference, is an evolutionary step. Lest you are a clone of your parents, then you posses many mutations.
Level 6

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Mutation is evolution, every change, every difference, is an evolutionary step.
Yes, it's an evolutionary step downwards. And being a super mutant, you have lost your ability to reason. I say again: mutants aren't evolved.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Shubee wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, it's an evolutionary step downwards. And being a super mutant, you have lost your ability to reason. I say again: mutants aren't evolved.
So then you are saying you are not "evolved?"
Level 6

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So then you are saying you are not "evolved?"
Sanford's genomic degeneration theorem is inescapable: "When subjected only to natural forces, the human genome must irrevocably degenerate over time."
http://everythingimportant.org/genome.pdf

So the older we get, the more devolved our DNA becomes.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/devolved
http://everythingimportant.org/devolution

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Sanford was shown to be wrong long ago and you have been shown that many times over. Natural selection has no problem removing "degenerate" genes.

Just a helpful reminder to Shube who keeps forgetting all of his defeats. I suppose it is reasonable to forget some of them when you have been proven to be wrong so many times.
Level 6

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
Sanford was shown to be wrong long ago and you have been shown that many times over.
Tell that to the French.
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-12/0...

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Shubee wrote:
<quoted text> Sanford's genomic degeneration theorem is inescapable: "When subjected only to natural forces, the human genome must irrevocably degenerate over time."
http://everythingimportant.org/genome.pdf
So the older we get, the more devolved our DNA becomes.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/devolved
http://everythingimportant.org/devolution
Oxidative stress on the DNA causes what we call aging, not "degeneration," different matters, one, oxidation, is based on reality. The other is your filed attempt at an ad hom. Yes, I am old, so what?

Oh, and Subduction already showed your error in using Sanford. Please, before you post anything about science, make sure you're caught up.
Level 6

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Judged:

Subduction Zone wrote:
Natural selection has no problem removing "degenerate" genes.
Silly man. That's logically equivalent to saying that natural selection has no problem preventing evolution.
Level 6

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Oxidative stress on the DNA causes what we call aging,
No. We're obviously programmed to age, which is an error in the DNA, but in the beginning the code represented maximal perfection.

Level 7

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Shubee wrote:
<quoted text>No. We're obviously programmed to age, which is an error in the DNA, but in the beginning the code represented maximal perfection.
Aging isn't an error in the DNA, it's a survival strategy.

If an organism didn't age, then population maximums would be reached quickly and there would be no room for new offspring.

As such, if a new threat (change in temp, lack of food, new predator, disease, etc) were to creep up, there would be no new variation capable of dealing with it.

So, things age and die, new things take their place. New genes creep up and get selected for or against.

Strategy

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
If an organism didn't age, then population maximums would be reached quickly and there would be no room for new offspring.
As such, if a new threat (change in temp, lack of food, new predator, disease, etc) were to creep up, there would be no new variation capable of dealing with it.
So, things age and die, new things take their place. New genes creep up and get selected for or against.
Strategy
Not entirely accurate. While things must die or we run out of room and resources, the stress on the DNA is just an advent of the chemical reactions themselves. More of a beneficial side effect.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Shubee wrote:
<quoted text>Tell that to the French.
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-12/0...
That article has nothing to do with you debunked Sanford claims, try again.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Shubee wrote:
<quoted text>Silly man. That's logically equivalent to saying that natural selection has no problem preventing evolution.
No fool. Natural selection eliminates bad mutations and saves good mutations. Obviously you do not understand natural selection which might explain your belief in Sanford in the first place.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
No fool. Natural selection eliminates bad mutations and saves good mutations. Obviously you do not understand natural selection which might explain your belief in Sanford in the first place.
I have one important question, how do you remember all of your socks?
Level 6

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Nuggin wrote:
Death is a survival strategy? I assert that you have a brain disorder caused by worshiping at the altar of Darwinism far too long.
Level 6

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Judged:

Subduction Zone wrote:
Natural selection eliminates bad mutations and saves good mutations. Obviously you do not understand natural selection which might explain your belief in Sanford in the first place.
It's obvious that Dr. Sanford and I understand the extraordinarily stupefying subterfuge called natural selection.
everythingimportant.org/genome.pdf

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••