New Orleans schools ban creationism and 'revisionist' history in rebuke of Texas

Dec 19, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Raw Story

The school board for Orleans Parish in Louisiana voted Tuesday night to ban the teaching of creationism as science and what they called a "revisionist" history curriculum promoted by the state of Texas.

Comments
81 - 100 of 206 Comments Last updated Jan 22, 2013
Level 6

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
There is more evidence of humans having a common ancestor to the other apes than there is evidence of gravity itself. Since we see that everything eventually merges into the same tree, then eventually you get to one common ancestor.
The evidence for a single tree of life is no more compelling than the wild guess of 5000 original trees of life.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Shubee wrote:
<quoted text> The evidence for a single tree of life is no more compelling than the wild guess of 5000 original trees of life.
Not really. Since DNA works the same for all organisms. DNA is a measure of how closely related all organisms are. Therefore all you do is apply an arbitrary barrier that proposes separate biological trees for the sake of theological convenience.
Level 6

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really. Since DNA works the same for all organisms.
All gas-powered automobiles work the same but that doesn't mean that 95% of all cars are produced by the same manufacturer.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Shubee wrote:
<quoted text>All gas-powered automobiles work the same but that doesn't mean that 95% of all cars are produced by the same manufacturer.
Wow.

This could be the first correct thing you've ever said.
Level 6

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

The Dude wrote:
all you do is apply an arbitrary barrier that proposes separate biological trees for the sake of theological convenience.
I propose that the number of separate biological trees is to be determined by measurements in actual experiments.

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Shubee wrote:
Just for the record, here is my protest against Intelligent Design:
http://everythingimportant.org/SeanPitman/
That is the helluva start to a screenplay. You gonna have Brad Pitt play you?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Shubee wrote:
<quoted text>I propose that the number of separate biological trees is to be determined by measurements in actual experiments.
Which is meaningless in the face of literally potentially billions of instances of quantum God-poofing.

Darn.
Level 6

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

The Dude wrote:
Which is meaningless
You're saying that science is meaningless and that middle school students need to blindly accept the belief that oak trees and humans have a common ancestor.

http://assessment.aaas.org/items/EN046007#/0
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/arti...

Leave those kids alone.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Shubee wrote:
<quoted text>You're saying that science is meaningless and that middle school students need to blindly accept the belief that oak trees and humans have a common ancestor.
http://assessment.aaas.org/items/EN046007#/0
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/arti...
Leave those kids alone.
So, you're a troll. Or do you actually think we'd not notice that you are using creationist arguments?

Look, scientists have literally come up with the best explanation of speciation, it's such a good explanation that nothing has ever provided any better answers, or better tools to help in so many other areas of advancement. The same theory you are decrying right now made it possible for you to have a highspeed cellphone capable of surfing the net. This theory has survived the test of time and is the longest standing theory to not need massive changes. The theory of evolution has more evidence, more benefit, and has served us better than even the theory of gravity. Common descent is part of that theory because nothing else explains why things are the way they are better. If birds were in any way "created" they'd not have the inefficient muscle design for wings. If we were never related to four legged creatures, we wouldn't have a gallbladder. Come up with an explanation for these two things without common descent, I dare you to.
Level 6

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you're a troll.
So your definition of a troll is any person that requires legitimate standards to be practiced in every discipline called science?

"The fundamental principle of science, the definition almost, is this: the sole test of the validity of any idea is experiment." Richard P. Feynman.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Shubee wrote:
<quoted text>So your definition of a troll is any person that requires legitimate standards to be practiced in every discipline called science?
"The fundamental principle of science, the definition almost, is this: the sole test of the validity of any idea is experiment." Richard P. Feynman.
No, a troll contradicts things just to stir up trouble, it's one of the traits common.

You can't stand a middle ground between science and mythology, then make the same fallacies you are, especially repeating the creationist garbage that has already been addressed many times by various people across the internet. It belies that you are a troll. You are ignoring evidence presented, not even reading it, not even considering it, you are either lying about being a creationist or you are a troll, because anyone actually interested in facts would check those facts presented instead of making excuses.
Level 6

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
No, a troll contradicts things just to stir up trouble,
I realize that trouble is made by challenging Darwinists to defend middle-school dogma scientifically. However, the issue is obviously much larger than my pleasure in exposing Darwinists' inability to defend middle-school level evolutionary theory.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Shubee wrote:
<quoted text>I realize that trouble is made by challenging Darwinists to defend middle-school dogma scientifically. However, the issue is obviously much larger than my pleasure in exposing Darwinists' inability to defend middle-school level evolutionary theory.
No, the issue is that you would rather teach pseudo-science in place of real science in a place where fact based science is suppose to be taught. It's pretty simple. Whether you call if "god" or "aliens," it's all the same mythology, just different social imaginations.
Level 6

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
Look, scientists have literally come up with the best explanation of speciation, it's such a good explanation that nothing has ever provided any better answers, or better tools to help in so many other areas of advancement.
How is that relevant to my challenge to Darwinists to prove to middle-school students that the number of biological trees on planet earth can't possibly be 2, 3, 4 or even more?

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Shubee wrote:
<quoted text>How is that relevant to my challenge to Darwinists to prove to middle-school students that the number of biological trees on planet earth can't possibly be 2, 3, 4 or even more?
You are asking to do go against the evidence? Do you not get what science is?

“Keep Marriage Husband and Wife”

Level 5

Since: Mar 11

This Space For Let

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

What if human life is a result of intelligent design?

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Do not hate wrote:
We evolved from other life forms, that much is fact.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Do not hate wrote:
You mean some god fiddling around?

Fine, what is your evidence of this?
Level 6

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
You are asking to do go against the evidence?
Why am I debating this with you? Middle-school students have greater powers of discernment!

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Shubee wrote:
<quoted text>Why am I debating this with you? Middle-school students have greater powers of discernment!
Ah yes, the ad homs, one of the ploys of a person who lack evidence and credibility.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

10 Users are viewing the Evolution Debate Forum right now

Search the Evolution Debate Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Should evolution be taught in high school? (Feb '08) 13 min One way or another 171,556
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 15 min DanFromSmithville 134,593
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 25 min bohart 113,170
The Universe is fine-tuned for life 2 hr polymath257 435
Why do half of Britons not believe in evolution? 2 hr aggressive dressmaker 2
24 hour dental emergency (Nov '13) 11 hr Courtney Galler 2
GOP House candidate Bob Frey believes dinosaurs... 13 hr TurkanaBoy 21
One reason some Atheists arecomplete idiots. 15 hr The Dude 58
•••
•••