Letter: You can believe in God and ev...

Letter: You can believe in God and evolution

There are 393 comments on the The Desert Sun story from Oct 19, 2013, titled Letter: You can believe in God and evolution. In it, The Desert Sun reports that:

Re: "End the secularist loyalty requirement," William R. Snaer, and "Evolution is just a theory," Louie Raspa, Oct. 13. The pejorative use of the word "secular" by Snaer and Raspa provides further indication of the religious nature of intelligent design theory.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Desert Sun.

First Prev
of 20
Next Last

“When you treat people as they ”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#388 Nov 18, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
If she'd written that I don't know how to plant seeds, I'd have told her I don't plant seeds - I give them a burial service. The garden center has to have grief counselors visit with the plants after I leave. I had a green pet rock in the '70's... it turned yellow and shriveled up. When the neighbors weed their lawns they bring me the crabgrass and dandelions out of pity. The HOA formed the first ever chapter of People for the Ethical Treatment of Plants and have been picketing my driveway. My hands are registered as lethal weapons with the USDA. I got a letter from the golf course accusing me of messing with the golfers with an unauthorized sand trap, but they can't do anything about it because my lawn's been designated the smallest desert ecosystem on Earth. Punkin Chunkin says that I can't use my pumpkins in competition because there isn't any pellet gun category. NASA heard about some ears of corn I grew and wants me to hold a workshop at a miniaturization symposium. I bought a plastic plant for the corner of the lanai and two days later it had decomposed into a puddle of crude oil.
You are still just fussing about binary versus complex coding. Essentially, you are arguing that you don't use letters because you write sentences. That's not to say I ever thought Cybele's mind is an amicable or reasonable place.
I have a yellow pet rock, it attached itself to me during a visit to Solfatara. I thought it had left home, for warmer climes, perhaps back to it’s volcanic home in Italy without telling me. However wonder of wonders (and by complete coincidence I assure you) it turned up on Saturday hiding at the back of a drawer, cuddled up to a 2000 year old piece of roman concrete from the amphitheatre at Sainte

I am “fussing”(your word) about cybele’s ignorant verbal abuse. Binary is only one example.

Level 6

#389 Nov 18, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
English is a hodgepodge of borrowed words and contradicted rules.
By far and away it contains the largest number of words, and even 24,000 is a small fraction of it's totality. Plus, the French "borrowed" premier from the Latin primarius. <shrug> But, I get it - you have a tho for the "language of romance." Whatever. I don't.
Quite a lot of European languages gave latin and greek influence

I spend a lot of time in France and will be moving there in the next couple of years so am busily trying to learn the language so that I don’t have to act like a lost tourists

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#390 Nov 18, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Much of the English language is derived from French (and other northern European languages)
English uses around 4000 French words that are spoken and spelled in exactly the French way and perhaps another 20 thousand that sound similar and are spelled similar to the French
Perhaps it is no “accident” that the “premier” word in the English language is an “excellent” example, which begs the “question”, was it an “intelligent”“decision” to ‘exploit’?
Oh evidently. If i do not know the English word i just think of the French.
And if they reverted back to middle- or old-English i would win too, since that is related to Dutch and German.
I speak a little Danish too and understand Swedish so it's win win win allover the board. Very smart cookies those Brits.
lol

I have more trouble with American-English spelling and English.
f.i. Note the capital letters. Americans have done away with those.
Doubling or not a.s.o.

Level 5

Location hidden

#391 Nov 18, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a yellow pet rock, it attached itself to me during a visit to Solfatara. I thought it had left home, for warmer climes, perhaps back to it’s volcanic home in Italy without telling me. However wonder of wonders (and by complete coincidence I assure you) it turned up on Saturday hiding at the back of a drawer, cuddled up to a 2000 year old piece of roman concrete from the amphitheatre at Sainte
I am “fussing”(your word) about cybele’s ignorant verbal abuse. Binary is only one example.
DRAT! I told him to apologize.

An emotional double bind to a rock is fine, but not to a mongrels words. lol

I have a semi-fossil. Ever since i know that, i'm looking at it to see if it has grown. Some chemical reaction at immeasurable pace.
I should have measured it.
And remembered the proper name.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#392 Nov 18, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I never denied that she is verbally abusive, I don't even deny that >I< am verbally abusive. I was merely pointing out that fundamentally, binary has not gone away and therefore binary is a poor example of something to rail against.
She can accuse you of coding CG in binary, but is that really more exasperating than the analog fantasy world she's written for herself between her own ears?

Level 6

#393 Nov 18, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I never denied that she is verbally abusive, I don't even deny that >I< am verbally abusive. I was merely pointing out that fundamentally, binary has not gone away and therefore binary is a poor example of something to rail against.
She can accuse you of coding CG in binary, but is that really more exasperating than the analog fantasy world she's written for herself between her own ears?
I am not railing, I am providing facts, that people do not program (more than a few instructions) in binary no matter what she accuses me of. That of course is not the same thing as saying that digital machines do or don’t use binary code. Digital machines were not in question, my knowledge was.

Nope she can accuse me of whatever turns her on (and there are some real woozies) but all things considered it’s fun to yank her chain in reply.

Level 6

#394 Nov 18, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
DRAT! I told him to apologize.
An emotional double bind to a rock is fine, but not to a mongrels words. lol
I have a semi-fossil. Ever since i know that, i'm looking at it to see if it has grown. Some chemical reaction at immeasurable pace.
I should have measured it.
And remembered the proper name.
I have a roman oil lamp in fired clay with a stamped image of Diana on the top and the makers thumbprint embedded in the handle, including the swirls and loops of his print. That has more personal meaning to me than just about any other antique I own.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#395 Nov 18, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Quite a lot of European languages gave latin and greek influence
I spend a lot of time in France and will be moving there in the next couple of years so am busily trying to learn the language so that I don’t have to act like a lost tourists
Fine, whatever. Your "premier" statement is still rubbish.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#396 Nov 18, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not railing, I am providing facts, that people do not program (more than a few instructions) in binary no matter what she accuses me of. That of course is not the same thing as saying that digital machines do or don’t use binary code. Digital machines were not in question, my knowledge was.
Nope she can accuse me of whatever turns her on (and there are some real woozies) but all things considered it’s fun to yank her chain in reply.
You use programs that bundle complex instruction sets (in binary).
No need to elaborate further... you don't write in vertical, horizontal and diagonal lines, curves and dots - you type French on buttons.

Level 6

#397 Nov 18, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Fine, whatever. Your "premier" statement is still rubbish.
There is no doubt that premier is the first and leading word in the English language

Level 5

Location hidden

#398 Nov 18, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a roman oil lamp in fired clay with a stamped image of Diana on the top and the makers thumbprint embedded in the handle, including the swirls and loops of his print. That has more personal meaning to me than just about any other antique I own.
There are some things one should not write when English.
I had to read that twice.

Ah that Diana.
Fingerprint not by Charles. lol
Roman sec.

Yes i understand, it makes it alive, like my semi fossil.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#399 Nov 18, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no doubt that premier is the first and leading word in the English language
Only in your mind, dear.

Level 6

#400 Nov 18, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Only in your mind, dear.
Look up the meaning of the word

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 20
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 35 min Frindly 83,830
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 1 hr Frindly 3,226
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 1 hr Dogen 164,923
Ten Reason Why Evolution Is a Lie (Jul '09) 10 hr MIDutch 1,996
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 22 hr Regolith Based Li... 223,191
Time Dec 9 THANKS 2
Evolution exposed Dec 8 Dogen 6
More from around the web