Letter: You can believe in God and evolution

Oct 19, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Desert Sun

Re: "End the secularist loyalty requirement," William R. Snaer, and "Evolution is just a theory," Louie Raspa, Oct. 13. The pejorative use of the word "secular" by Snaer and Raspa provides further indication of the religious nature of intelligent design theory.

Comments
21 - 40 of 393 Comments Last updated Nov 18, 2013

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2013

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey lady, silence is golden. Now if you're going to find the answer on the periodic table to analyze that statement, make sure you don't run into a silver spoon.
Do you not see stars in the sky? What happens when you try to reach a star? Do you have an idea or any speculation at all?
The sky is a view of space. It's the expanse of space that gives it that view. It has no boundaries unless you are defining atmosphere. Can you guess what the word atmos is? Get a clue, missy.
AuÖ Simple solution, you said it, be silent then.

Stars appear to be in the sky Ė notice the word appear.

I donít know, tell me, what happens when you reach a star, considering that it has NEVER EVER been done, even for our closest star your question can only be hypothetical. However knowing what stars are then we can assume will burn to your component atoms long before you get close enough to say you have got there.

The sky is an effect of atmosphere, the sky we see is an effect of the atmosphere surrounding the planet we live on. It has the boundaries of the atmosphere surrounding the planet. Just because you give it an another, irrelevant definition is no ones fault but you own but it does explain your stupidity

Atmos? Well apart from the obvious shortening of the word atmosphere it was a device in a doctor who episode, a lighting effects studio, and cloud storage system and a thatís the limits of my knowledge of the word so I did a google and there are over 14 million results, which were you referring to?

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2013

No the answer is not Au. Au is just an effect of silicon and nitrogen. Now you can keep turning your wheels to make sense out of that or crawl back to your craves.

Anyways, you still don't understand the word sky even when I MADE it pretty clear for you. Are you having a bad weather wherever you are?

You know it's not my problem that your obscurity is a sign of your own limitations. If i were you I would really give up your sanity for your own sake. It's not helping at all.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2013

Judged:

Cybele wrote:
Do you not see stars in the sky?
Actually no we don't. We see stars THROUGH the sky.
Cybele wrote:
No the answer is not Au. Au is just an effect of silicon and nitrogen. Now you can keep turning your wheels to make sense out of that or crawl back to your craves.
Anyways, you still don't understand the word sky even when I MADE it pretty clear for you.
Yes you did. You said the sky is the limit. Since the nearest star is at minimum 3.8 light years away, the sky quite obviously refers to Earth's atmosphere, which does not extend anywhere near as far as that. Hence our point, fundies are limited by the sky. Quite literally in fact. They abhor science and therefore could have never made it even that far, much less reach for the stars. Though their hypocritical stance allows them to quite happily take all the fruits of science they hate while they take a massive dump upon it, then give all credit for science's discoveries to their deity which they can't even demonstrate exists.

Science reaches for the stars. Fundies reach for the heavens. And contrary to popular belief they are not the same thing, as reaching for the heavens requires a rather permanent and quite terminal solution.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2013

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually no we don't. We see stars THROUGH the sky.
<quoted text>
Yes you did. You said the sky is the limit. Since the nearest star is at minimum 3.8 light years away, the sky quite obviously refers to Earth's atmosphere, which does not extend anywhere near as far as that. Hence our point, fundies are limited by the sky. Quite literally in fact. They abhor science and therefore could have never made it even that far, much less reach for the stars. Though their hypocritical stance allows them to quite happily take all the fruits of science they hate while they take a massive dump upon it, then give all credit for science's discoveries to their deity which they can't even demonstrate exists.
Science reaches for the stars. Fundies reach for the heavens. And contrary to popular belief they are not the same thing, as reaching for the heavens requires a rather permanent and quite terminal solution.
Science is perfectly compatible with religion and the prophets understood science. Daniel 1:4. When the Messiah comes, there would be signs in the heavens. There seem to be annual, recurring meteor showers when significant things were happening. The star in the east was a big sign of the spiritual rebirth of the Messiah. It appeared in the eastern sky on Friday, January 6, 1984 and was probably a super nova.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Science is perfectly compatible with religion and the prophets understood science. Daniel 1:4. When the Messiah comes, there would be signs in the heavens. There seem to be annual, recurring meteor showers when significant things were happening. The star in the east was a big sign of the spiritual rebirth of the Messiah. It appeared in the eastern sky on Friday, January 6, 1984 and was probably a super nova.
Bullshit. Meteor showers occur at regular times during the year and have nothing to do with significant events. I can easily show that various showers such as the Perseides Meteor shower occur every year at roughly the same time:

http://www.universetoday.com/103826/the-2013-...

What evidence supports your crazy claim?
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2013

Judged:

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit. Meteor showers occur at regular times during the year and have nothing to do with significant events. I can easily show that various showers such as the Perseides Meteor shower occur every year at roughly the same time:
http://www.universetoday.com/103826/the-2013-...
What evidence supports your crazy claim?
They do occur every year and are some of many astrological signs. God established lights in the heavens for signs. Genesis 1:14. I'm just saying that these things coincide with important prophecies. I don't know which came first, probably the biblical events because they were foreseen.

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2013

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>Actually no we don't. We see stars THROUGH the sky.

Cybele wrote, "No the answer is not Au. Au is just an effect of silicon and nitrogen. Now you can keep turning your wheels to make sense out of that or crawl back to your craves.
Anyways, you still don't understand the word sky even when I MADE it pretty clear for you."

I didn't know in UK you guys see stars through the sky. Here in US we say we see stars IN the sky. Language can really be a disadvantage to some, worse if it becomes a barrier.

Which god believers you know abhor science? As far as I'm concerned they only argue against atheists who use science to disprove their beliefs.

God or no God, it all boils down to the fact that you will eventually look at the skies for answers. But I know you WILL, deny that fact.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2013

Judged:

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>They do occur every year and are some of many astrological signs. God established lights in the heavens for signs. Genesis 1:14. I'm just saying that these things coincide with important prophecies. I don't know which came first, probably the biblical events because they were foreseen.
"Astrological signs"?!?!

You've just kicked the crazy into a higher gear.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>They do occur every year and are some of many astrological signs. God established lights in the heavens for signs. Genesis 1:14. I'm just saying that these things coincide with important prophecies. I don't know which came first, probably the biblical events because they were foreseen.
astrology? seriously? i thought you were crazy before, but astrology??!?

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2013

Judged:

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't know in UK you guys see stars through the sky. Here in US we say we see stars IN the sky. Language can really be a disadvantage to some, worse if it becomes a barrier.
Which god believers you know abhor science? As far as I'm concerned they only argue against atheists who use science to disprove their beliefs.
God or no God, it all boils down to the fact that you will eventually look at the skies for answers. But I know you WILL, deny that fact.
we may say that, but we do not think the sky extends up to the stars, or that the stars are in the .sky...

people say the sun is setting or rising even though we know it is just the earth turning. no, no one but you , it seems, thinks the sky extends up to the stars...

people say the sun is setting or rising even though we know it is not, it is the earth turning

Level 6

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

Cybele wrote:
Anyways, you still don't understand the word sky even when I MADE it pretty clear for you. Are you having a bad weather wherever you are?
You know it's not my problem that your obscurity is a sign of your own limitations. If i were you I would really give up your sanity for your own sake. It's not helping at all.
Oh did you misunderstand, I was simply stating au, is in my surprise at your stupidity, as well as providing the atomic symbol for gold. I know, I know, it was perhaps too far beyond your intellect but I simply could not resist.

BTW. Gold is an element and therefore not made of silicon or nitrogen but of gold you numbskull? And you say you are something in the medical field? Sheeshs.

What you made clear is irrelevant, what is reality is relevant

Ahh, I see, what you are saying is that because I understand the English language and use its wording as properly as I am able and most certainly and not bastardise it to suite my religion or whim then I am somehow at fault for not understanding that you twist and fook words up to suite yourself? Go figure

Honey, you have long since given up your sanity, you donít need to pretend to be someone else.

Level 6

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

susanblange wrote:
At itís most basic, they occur every year because of the suns gravitational attraction.

The sun has held such gravitational attraction since it first coalesced over 4.5 billion years ago. That my dear was several BILLION years before your prophets exited. So some guy a few thousand years ago foretelling an annually recurring meteor shower that has happened for millions of years is not prophecyÖ it is observation

Here let me make one, next time the Perseides Meteor shower is visible it will be night time. Now get back to me next August and tell me I am a prophet.

Level 6

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Especially when your ignorance of science forces you to make it a barrier

You donít need to be atheist for science to disprove religious dogma, you do pretty well all on your own.

What have I told you about using clairvoyance? Do you get a headache when your prophecies turn out wrong?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Science is perfectly compatible with religion
Only if your religion doesn't require the rejection of reality for the sake of their faith.

That pretty much rules most fundies out.
susanblange wrote:
and the prophets understood science. Daniel 1:4. When the Messiah comes, there would be signs in the heavens. There seem to be annual, recurring meteor showers when significant things were happening. The star in the east was a big sign of the spiritual rebirth of the Messiah. It appeared in the eastern sky on Friday, January 6, 1984 and was probably a super nova.
Lots of people were born when 1984A appeared. But that still doesn't prove astrology is anything more than total BS.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

Cybele wrote:
I didn't know in UK you guys see stars through the sky.
That's because you're daft. Since we don't have as much smog as LA of course we can see stars through the sky.
Cybele wrote:
Here in US we say we see stars IN the sky. Language can really be a disadvantage to some, worse if it becomes a barrier.
We say that too. Which therefore means when you originally said it you WERE using metaphorical BS instead of making a genuine point. I understand this because for me, language is not a barrier.

That's why you fundies are so fond of metaphorical BS and flowery language which doesn't really mean anything.
Cybele wrote:
Which god believers you know abhor science?
Fundies. That includes you.

It's not as if you've never demonstrated yourself to be anti-science in the past.
Cybele wrote:
As far as I'm concerned they only argue against atheists who use science to disprove their beliefs.
But since you've been witness to these threads for a long time now you should know better. Science can't be used to disprove your baseless religious beliefs because they are at the core non-falsifiable non-scientific concepts. I keep telling you if you want a fundamentalist atheist, go find Skippy the 'Skeptic'.
Cybele wrote:
Answers for what? What fact? What will the skies tell us, apart from stars NOT being in it as evidence by us NOT being incinerated? Whatever your original point was I'm still waiting for you to make it coherent, instead of lost in a field of useless metaphors.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>astrology? seriously? i thought you were crazy before, but astrology??!?
I dunno, I thought it was at least slightly more rational than her being the personal phone line to the She God of the universe and prophet of the end times of 2013-2014(ish).

At least astrology is shared by more people, whereas only she believes the story of her own end-times prophecy.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

ChristineM wrote:
And you say you are something in the medical field?
Psychiatric patient?

Level 6

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Psychiatric patient?
LOL, could be, could be certainly makes more sense than a valedictorian in the medical field as she told me.

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>Oh did you misunderstand, I was simply stating au, is in my surprise at your stupidity, as well as providing the atomic symbol for gold. I know, I know, it was perhaps too far beyond your intellect but I simply could not resist.

BTW. Gold is an element and therefore not made of silicon or nitrogen but of gold you numbskull? And you say you are something in the medical field? Sheeshs.

What you made clear is irrelevant, what is reality is relevant

Ahh, I see, what you are saying is that because I understand the English language and use its wording as properly as I am able and most certainly and not bastardise it to suite my religion or whim then I am somehow at fault for not understanding that you twist and fook words up to suite yourself? Go figure

Honey, you have long since given up your sanity, you don’t need to pretend to be someone else.
You literalists will never get it, will you?

Let me put it this way:

Silence is golden.
Gold is Au.

Au is an effect of silicon and nitrogen.
If silicon is Si and nitrogen and N, then
Si + N = Au

Si + N should be silenced. Therefore, silence is golden.

Now I just gave you a moral lesson in science. Get that through your thick Neanderthal skull.

On that note, AU stands for astronomical unit.

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>Psychiatric patient?
And you're a dumb scientist.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••