Letter: You can believe in God and evolution

Oct 19, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Desert Sun

Re: "End the secularist loyalty requirement," William R. Snaer, and "Evolution is just a theory," Louie Raspa, Oct. 13. The pejorative use of the word "secular" by Snaer and Raspa provides further indication of the religious nature of intelligent design theory.

Comments
361 - 380 of 393 Comments Last updated Nov 18, 2013

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#368
Nov 14, 2013
 
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't seer any problem with being called a cur or mutt.
And what makes your kind more intelligent than so-called godbots?

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#369
Nov 14, 2013
 
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I will ban myself first before Topix ban me. And I know you're hoping that I add a G to that.
oh sweetie...even mom's basement dwelling internet site moderators wouldn't ban(g) that shit. As you well know...

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#370
Nov 14, 2013
 
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
And what makes your kind more intelligent than so-called godbots?
Maybe I'm part Afghan Hound. They are more intelligent than Godbots. When was the last time you saw a dog genuflect in front of a crucifix or sit and watch a televangelist? It would seem to me that if all creatures were smart enough to queue up to the Ark, they should be aware enough to defer to the Abrahamic God Almighty. Unless it's all just an artificial fabrication....Oh noes! Iz possable?

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#371
Nov 14, 2013
 
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
And what makes your kind more intelligent than so-called godbots?
geee...ummmm?...we don't believe in things that have already been proven to be false? just for starters?

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#372
Nov 14, 2013
 
Just when i thought i'd seen it all. Judaism thread Lilith: adams first wife.
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>The pen is mightier than the sword. I had my 15 minutes of fame 30 years ago and it's a long story. I defended socialism and condemned the west for idolatry. This was published in many nations around the world. Isaiah 52:13-15. The USSR commented that Americans had no respect for human dignity. It was in the Spring of 1985 that Gorbachev came out with glastnost and perastroika. I wrote him a letter in the Spring of 1988 and asked him to let the Jews emigrate. About 3 weeks after mailing it, the doors were opened. Have you ever heard of the 50 foot shrunken apple head woman?
I spontaneously forgot how to google.

Ah well, Susan you should publish a compilation of all your posts in evo an here and other places.

• "Attack of the 50-Foot Shrunken Applehead Woman". It was a series of clips of a granny-type applehead doll "terrorising" people in front of the "Hotel Rest-A-Lot" and on a city block. "I'm a 50-foot shrunken apple head woman... see little people! Outta mah way... I'm-a eat you!" The voice was pretty hilarious as it was an African-American MAN attempting to do a woman's voice.

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#373
Nov 14, 2013
 
Homemade by Susan Seagrave

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#374
Nov 15, 2013
 
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Arguments only disturb me when I see glaring errors. Computer languages bundle binary instruction sets.(Almost) nobody writes in binary - true.(Almost) every code is fundamentally in binary - true.
Bots are banned from Topix. Godbots are similarly unintelligent, but if they were banned Topix would be far less amusing.
The discussion/argument arose because Cybele stated and I quote “You couldn't plant a seed to save your life but you try with binary codes in your virtual fantasy world.”

Other than the facts that I have quite a large vegetable and flower garden that I maintain with my husband and kids and that the virtual worlds I create are occasionally fantasy but mostly serious documentary, commercial mimic and scientific models, I am also human, not a computer.

She made glaring errors in all three of her childish and inane accusations.

As for your post, I have never said otherwise, digital computers operate at the user level by processing binary instructions. Computer languages compile or interpret to binary in digital computers. However humans (of which I am one) do not use binary for anything more than hobby tinkering and have not (other than for novelty or training purposes) used binary since the days of punch card input.

Even in more recent times (certainly since the 1970s) if humans wanted to access low level functions they would use ocatal, hexadecimal or assembly language representations of binary, considerably more user friendly and readable.

However if you believe I have made glaring errors please feel free to specify them out and I will discuss them with you.

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#375
Nov 15, 2013
 
Cybele wrote:
So now you're going to play victim now, Christine?
I know the role of IT. Just because your IT dept. is limited to troubleshooting, doesn't mean that bigger companies with more IT staff is not part of IT.
Go search for IT jobs and you'd be surprised that it even includes Web Developers and Software Engineers. Here's a list (it may not be complete)

I guess you're the ignorant moron now, huh?
And yes you told someone else my son's school is a fund school and that COBOL is used for business when I admitted that I was mistaken and that they did learn C++. So who's confused now, you can't even remember what you said.
You're the one who said that I probably get turned on by being humiliated. That's proof that you were trying to humiliate me and telling me that I've been dragged through the dirt. So don't play victim now when you instigated the attack.
And you don't know who James Bond is? I thought you're from UK? Or is that a lie too? Everyone knows who he is and yes he turns on a lot of women. You probably don't know him because you prefer women over Bond. Is that true?
What makes you think I am playing victim, the evidence here is in black and while, you can’t just slope your shoulders and the good christian way and ignore it.

Nope you DO NOT appear to know the role of an IT department which is why I have asked you (twice) to look up the definition of the function of an IT department, an education that I fear you have ignored.

Nope, what it means is that an IT department is and IT department and you have screwed up.

Oh honey, I would not be surprised at all. I have worked in this industry for 18 years since qualifying at university, I am well aware of the complexities and nuances that seem to escape you. From your list I should think that about half the job functions could come under the auspices of a defined IT department. However we are not considering computer related jobs in genera as you seem to be, our discussion concerned the role of the IT department and whether IT personal coded. Just because you want to obfuscate the role of IT department with the work and procedures of other departments is your problem

There is a strict definition that is adhered to by the majority of companies, you would more than likely find that it is smaller companies that stray from that definition because of financial restraints, not the larger ones.

No I did not tell anyone that you sons school was anything, I have not discussed your sons school with anyone other than you in response to your posts, so either you are lying or your are culpable in the lies of another. However if you feel that you can provide evidence to support your accusation then please feel free to present it of butt out

Yes this is true it seems that you do get turned on by humiliation. That is no proof of my post, but proof of your seem to enjoy humiliating yourself. Your sexual preferences are nothing to do with me. As I have said before, the evidence of your hatred toward me and others is written in black and white, in the case of our interaction you hatred started right from your first reply to me. There is no argument that is fact and cannot be denied, except of course by a christian liar.

Don’t be so bloody stupid, read my response to your hatred –“James who? This another fiction that turns you on?” As it happens I know 2 people called James Bond and one called Jane Bond, I considered that your world of hatred and fantasy was guiding you. However I have only read one Flemming book and decided the rest were not worth my time.

There you go again casting hate based aspersions based on nothing more than ignorance and dumb stupidity in the vain hope of gaining an adverse reaction that you can then mock. Honey, it’s your sexual preferences that are in question here, not mine so the whole statement it not really worth responding to any further you stupid, ignorant, lying T\/\/AT

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#376
Nov 15, 2013
 
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
The discussion/argument arose because Cybele stated and I quote “You couldn't plant a seed to save your life but you try with binary codes in your virtual fantasy world.”
Other than the facts that I have quite a large vegetable and flower garden that I maintain with my husband and kids and that the virtual worlds I create are occasionally fantasy but mostly serious documentary, commercial mimic and scientific models, I am also human, not a computer.
She made glaring errors in all three of her childish and inane accusations.
As for your post, I have never said otherwise, digital computers operate at the user level by processing binary instructions. Computer languages compile or interpret to binary in digital computers. However humans (of which I am one) do not use binary for anything more than hobby tinkering and have not (other than for novelty or training purposes) used binary since the days of punch card input.
Even in more recent times (certainly since the 1970s) if humans wanted to access low level functions they would use ocatal, hexadecimal or assembly language representations of binary, considerably more user friendly and readable.
However if you believe I have made glaring errors please feel free to specify them out and I will discuss them with you.
If it's in my garden and not green, I need more spray paint.
I thought I was clear. Programs are far too long for a human to compose them in zeros and ones, the days of writing in binary are long gone, except perhaps for the most basic levels of architecture. To deny that is nuts.
That said,
Transistors only have 2 states, so binary isn't going away anytime soon.
The glaring error is being so offended by a fruitloop.

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#377
Nov 15, 2013
 
ChromiumMan wrote:
The glaring error is being so offended by a fruitloop.

To err is human.
You have allready decided that the offence comes from a fruitloop.

Speaking for myself it's a bit like the girl next door suddenly attacking you. Out of character.

Or more appropriately the expectation of a certain reserve and a congenial attitude supposed in virtual discussion suddenly turning ad hominem.
Who ever thought that anyones integrity would be at stake.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#378
Nov 16, 2013
 
MAAT wrote:
ChromiumMan wrote:
The glaring error is being so offended by a fruitloop.
To err is human.
You have allready decided that the offence comes from a fruitloop.
Speaking for myself it's a bit like the girl next door suddenly attacking you. Out of character.
Or more appropriately the expectation of a certain reserve and a congenial attitude supposed in virtual discussion suddenly turning ad hominem.
Who ever thought that anyones integrity would be at stake.
Aye, to err is human, and perhaps I should work on my propriety and decorum.
My apologies Cybele, my believing mumbo jumbo is just that and nothing more isn't in itself a reason to call names.

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#379
Nov 16, 2013
 
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Aye, to err is human, and perhaps I should work on my propriety and decorum.
My apologies Cybele, my believing mumbo jumbo is just that and nothing more isn't in itself a reason to call names.
What are you apologizing to Cybele for!
You should apologize to Christine M.!

You still have along ways to go. l.o.l.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#380
Nov 16, 2013
 
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you apologizing to Cybele for!
You should apologize to Christine M.!
You still have along ways to go. l.o.l.
NO.

Christine says that, "French is the premier word in English."
DO NOT expect that to be a forgiven offense.

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#381
Nov 16, 2013
 
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
NO.
Christine says that, "French is the premier word in English."
DO NOT expect that to be a forgiven offense.
Christine had an entire list on english loans from French, of which premier was not even the premier word.

Besides we all know you speak angel-saxon.
Making a german kneejerk would be too much to ask.

But lets not quibble.
Just be a man.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#382
Nov 16, 2013
 
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Christine had an entire list on english loans from French, of which premier was not even the premier word.
Besides we all know you speak angel-saxon.
Making a german kneejerk would be too much to ask.
But lets not quibble.
Just be a man.
Genetically, I'm a mongrel and I'm as much (or more) French in ancestry as any other.

Meanwhile, the Acadmie Francais is inventing science words because 'they' dislike the influx of English to their language.
If English borrows an applicable word from French, I submit "haughty."

http://french.about.com/cs/francophonie/a/aca...

If there is a "premier" word in English, I would propose that is the first in the dictionary and certainly one of its most commonly used. "A".

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#383
Nov 16, 2013
 
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Genetically, I'm a mongrel and I'm as much (or more) French in ancestry as any other.
Meanwhile, the Acadmie Francais is inventing science words because 'they' dislike the influx of English to their language.
If English borrows an applicable word from French, I submit "haughty."
http://french.about.com/cs/francophonie/a/aca...
If there is a "premier" word in English, I would propose that is the first in the dictionary and certainly one of its most commonly used. "A".
You could also be Celtic.
We should ask Christine.

And be Lucky we are not having Iceland as hinterland.

"tölva" (= computer) which was created using the word "tala" (= number) and the word "sími" (= telephone) which is an Old Icelandic word which originally meant, "thread".

Although Icelanders try to resist foreign influence on their own language, they realize the necessity in having knowledge in other languages. All Icelandic school children are taught English and Danish. These languages are obligatory in high school and many students take German, French, or Spanish.

sími + tala = tölva
I would not have figured that out in a milion years!

The French are going overboard too. email e-mail Mais non, courreil!
What would be their problem with a hyphen?
At least it stays limited to the cyberworld.

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#384
Nov 18, 2013
 
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
If it's in my garden and not green, I need more spray paint.
I thought I was clear. Programs are far too long for a human to compose them in zeros and ones, the days of writing in binary are long gone, except perhaps for the most basic levels of architecture. To deny that is nuts.
That said,
Transistors only have 2 states, so binary isn't going away anytime soon.
The glaring error is being so offended by a fruitloop.
Your garden is painted?…hmmmm…. OK…So if she had made her guess at you and accused you of not knowing how to plant a seed then she could perhaps have been correct?

People do not generally switch transistors, the switching is most often performed by digital code written in higher level languages, or analogue action (temperature or level sensors etc). Also some transistors have 3 states
http://www.labri.fr/perso/strandh/Teaching/AM...
and a new innovation is the tri gate 3D device
http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Tr...

I see we have a confusion of meaning. The discussion she instigated was based on her ignorant abuse of what I use to code graphics (a boorish cybele damp squid spite attack). Because her post was targeted at a human being (me, not a low level device), my response specifically focuses on human beings coding (as stated) and the complexity of programming in today’s digital environment. She then chose to include IT departments with little or no comprehension of the role of said departments

I was not offended, I respond in kind, It’s who I am, besides it’s fun to point out her christian spite.

You will notice that she has now started to accuse me of being lesbian because her James Bond fantasy backfired on her.

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#385
Nov 18, 2013
 
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Genetically, I'm a mongrel and I'm as much (or more) French in ancestry as any other.
Meanwhile, the Acadmie Francais is inventing science words because 'they' dislike the influx of English to their language.
If English borrows an applicable word from French, I submit "haughty."
http://french.about.com/cs/francophonie/a/aca...
If there is a "premier" word in English, I would propose that is the first in the dictionary and certainly one of its most commonly used. "A".
Much of the English language is derived from French (and other northern European languages)

English uses around 4000 French words that are spoken and spelled in exactly the French way and perhaps another 20 thousand that sound similar and are spelled similar to the French

Perhaps it is no “accident” that the “premier” word in the English language is an “excellent” example, which begs the “question”, was it an “intelligent”“decision” to ‘exploit’?

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#386
Nov 18, 2013
 
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Your garden is painted?…hmmmm…. OK…So if she had made her guess at you and accused you of not knowing how to plant a seed then she could perhaps have been correct?
People do not generally switch transistors, the switching is most often performed by digital code written in higher level languages, or analogue action (temperature or level sensors etc). Also some transistors have 3 states
http://www.labri.fr/perso/strandh/Teaching/AM...
and a new innovation is the tri gate 3D device
http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Tr...
I see we have a confusion of meaning. The discussion she instigated was based on her ignorant abuse of what I use to code graphics (a boorish cybele damp squid spite attack). Because her post was targeted at a human being (me, not a low level device), my response specifically focuses on human beings coding (as stated) and the complexity of programming in today’s digital environment. She then chose to include IT departments with little or no comprehension of the role of said departments
I was not offended, I respond in kind, It’s who I am, besides it’s fun to point out her christian spite.
You will notice that she has now started to accuse me of being lesbian because her James Bond fantasy backfired on her.
If she'd written that I don't know how to plant seeds, I'd have told her I don't plant seeds - I give them a burial service. The garden center has to have grief counselors visit with the plants after I leave. I had a green pet rock in the '70's... it turned yellow and shriveled up. When the neighbors weed their lawns they bring me the crabgrass and dandelions out of pity. The HOA formed the first ever chapter of People for the Ethical Treatment of Plants and have been picketing my driveway. My hands are registered as lethal weapons with the USDA. I got a letter from the golf course accusing me of messing with the golfers with an unauthorized sand trap, but they can't do anything about it because my lawn's been designated the smallest desert ecosystem on Earth. Punkin Chunkin says that I can't use my pumpkins in competition because there isn't any pellet gun category. NASA heard about some ears of corn I grew and wants me to hold a workshop at a miniaturization symposium. I bought a plastic plant for the corner of the lanai and two days later it had decomposed into a puddle of crude oil.

You are still just fussing about binary versus complex coding. Essentially, you are arguing that you don't use letters because you write sentences. That's not to say I ever thought Cybele's mind is an amicable or reasonable place.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#387
Nov 18, 2013
 
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Much of the English language is derived from French (and other northern European languages)
English uses around 4000 French words that are spoken and spelled in exactly the French way and perhaps another 20 thousand that sound similar and are spelled similar to the French
Perhaps it is no “accident” that the “premier” word in the English language is an “excellent” example, which begs the “question”, was it an “intelligent”“decision” to ‘exploit’?
English is a hodgepodge of borrowed words and contradicted rules.
By far and away it contains the largest number of words, and even 24,000 is a small fraction of it's totality. Plus, the French "borrowed" premier from the Latin primarius. <shrug> But, I get it - you have a tho for the "language of romance." Whatever. I don't.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••