Letter: You can believe in God and ev...

Letter: You can believe in God and evolution

There are 393 comments on the The Desert Sun story from Oct 19, 2013, titled Letter: You can believe in God and evolution. In it, The Desert Sun reports that:

Re: "End the secularist loyalty requirement," William R. Snaer, and "Evolution is just a theory," Louie Raspa, Oct. 13. The pejorative use of the word "secular" by Snaer and Raspa provides further indication of the religious nature of intelligent design theory.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Desert Sun.

First Prev
of 20
Next Last

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#1 Oct 20, 2013
Yes if one wants to be sane, lol.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#2 Oct 21, 2013
is it sane to believe in something there is no evidence for?

Level 5

above and beyond

#3 Oct 21, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
is it sane to believe in something there is no evidence for?
If you have the skills to understand the concepts. Nothing wrong with learning both physics and metaphysics, for instance, right?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#4 Oct 22, 2013
Metaphysics has nothing to teach.

It's really just people making up BS and saying they know more about the BS they made up than everyone else does and pretending it's real.

Then they complain about the mean old 'elitists' for actually getting an education.

St. Croix valley

#5 Oct 22, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
If you have the skills to understand the concepts. Nothing wrong with learning both physics and metaphysics, for instance, right?
if there were anything to learn in metaphysics other than there is no such thing...

St. Croix valley

#6 Oct 22, 2013
if you have any factual evidence of anything metaphysical, please be forthcoming with it...
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#7 Oct 22, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
if you have any factual evidence of anything metaphysical, please be forthcoming with it...
Unfortunately that's the problem - the term's own prefix precludes such a thing. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#8 Oct 22, 2013
God is knowledge and is omniscient. The knowledge of the holy is understanding. Prov. 9:10. The Universe is composed of matter and energy that follows strict physical laws. God cannot do anything that is outside of these laws and against nature. Miracles are contained within these properties. When God the Messiah comes we will witness miracles on the part of both Elijah and the Messiah. These will be actions that will seem to defy the laws of nature but God is the author of nature and she can manipulate and change it.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#9 Oct 23, 2013
susanblange wrote:
God is knowledge and is omniscient. The knowledge of the holy is understanding. Prov. 9:10. The Universe is composed of matter and energy that follows strict physical laws. God cannot do anything that is outside of these laws and against nature. Miracles are contained within these properties. When God the Messiah comes we will witness miracles on the part of both Elijah and the Messiah. These will be actions that will seem to defy the laws of nature but God is the author of nature and she can manipulate and change it.
So God has limits. Great.

No wonder She picked you.(shrug)

St. Croix valley

#10 Oct 23, 2013
susanblange wrote:
that just proved that god could not have created the universe.

clearly proves the god it attempts to create to be false...

Level 5

above and beyond

#11 Oct 26, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>So God has limits. Great.

No wonder She picked you.(shrug)
Hey Dud, what limits are you talking about? Maybe it's your perspective that's limiting your frame of mind. How can such a swag like you be narrow-minded like a fundie? Dracula will beat ya anytime.

The sky is the limit!
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#12 Oct 27, 2013
Cybele wrote:
Hey Dud, what limits are you talking about?
Go ask Suzy. She's the one who expects God Almighty to follow her orders.
Cybele wrote:
Maybe it's your perspective that's limiting your frame of mind.
Not at all. Since *I* have not limited God in any way shape or form. If you go back and read Suzy's post again you will see it was all her saying God can do this, God can't do that, blah blah blah.
Cybele wrote:
How can such a swag like you be narrow-minded like a fundie?
That's because I'm not. I am far more open-minded than any fundie there is around here. I am open to the possibility of (a) God. I don't claim that things which aren't impossible are impossible, like evolution. I don't claim that God can't use evolution like the fundies do. And furthermore, I am open to the possibility that God is a liar. Because most base scenarios boil down to this:

1 - Evolution occurred and God does not exist.

2 - God used evolution.

3 - God is a liar.

The vast majority of fundies pick option 3 but refuse to call lies lies. Which therefore means they are lying. Thats why fundies have to lie to defend their positions and I don't.
Cybele wrote:
Dracula will beat ya anytime.
Of course he would. He has all that charm, super strength, sharp teeth, immortality and ability to turn himself into a bat at will. All I got is this measly blessed water, UV lamp and sharp wooden stick.
Cybele wrote:
The sky is the limit!
For fundies, yes. Not if you're God though. Or in fact, if you're anybody who doesn't reject science for the sake of their religious beliefs. Which is why science is what got us past the sky, and not religion. Fundies will remain forever Earth-bound, except for the hypocrites who have no problem using the computers that science gave them using scientific concepts they reject for theological reasons.

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#13 Oct 28, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Dud, what limits are you talking about? Maybe it's your perspective that's limiting your frame of mind. How can such a swag like you be narrow-minded like a fundie? Dracula will beat ya anytime.
The sky is the limit!
Now this depends on what you mean by sky, I have heard that the blue stuff you see as sky starts to turn black from about 12 miles high but the effects of earth atmosphere can be measured between 400 and 600 miles out from the surface

So you are saying your gods limits are somewhere between 12 and 600 miles?

Level 5

above and beyond

#14 Oct 28, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>Now this depends on what you mean by sky, I have heard that the blue stuff you see as sky starts to turn black from about 12 miles high but the effects of earth atmosphere can be measured between 400 and 600 miles out from the surface

So you are saying your gods limits are somewhere between 12 and 600 miles?
It's not my problem that you are stuck on miles. I speak light years.

St. Croix valley

#15 Oct 28, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
but with no basis in the real world, as christine pointed out...

Level 6

#16 Oct 29, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
What a load of self delusional and ignorant BS

You stated a specific (or as specific as the sky can be)

I provided scientific figures for that specific

Not in any language, not even religious mumbo jumbo can the sky said to be light years away.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#17 Oct 29, 2013
Cybele can't tell the difference between the sky and outer space. She's not interested in providing rational justification for her beliefs, only in pretending to know more while actually knowing less. She basically prefers dancing instead of dealing with people's posts directly.

Level 6

#18 Oct 29, 2013
The Dude wrote:
Cybele can't tell the difference between the sky and outer space. She's not interested in providing rational justification for her beliefs, only in pretending to know more while actually knowing less. She basically prefers dancing instead of dealing with people's posts directly.
Cybele can't tell talk from mutter

But it’s fun pointing it out.

St. Croix valley

#19 Oct 29, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Cybele can't tell talk from mutter
the 'new age'ers are funny...they'll tell you exactly how the universe works, from something they read or were told, and then when you question them rationally about what they just said, suddenly everything is just a vague allegory of how things work or if you don't understand it, you must not be in touch with the universe...

really, the exact same argument the religious cult fundies use, but then it is just another religious cult...kind of a non-union one.

Level 5

above and beyond

#20 Oct 29, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>Cybele can't tell talk from mutter

Hey lady, silence is golden. Now if you're going to find the answer on the periodic table to analyze that statement, make sure you don't run into a silver spoon.

Do you not see stars in the sky? What happens when you try to reach a star? Do you have an idea or any speculation at all?

The sky is a view of space. It's the expanse of space that gives it that view. It has no boundaries unless you are defining atmosphere. Can you guess what the word atmos is? Get a clue, missy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 20
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 10 min Chimney1 40,228
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 23 min Rosa_Winkel 15,747
can anyone explain to me why humans are the onl... (Mar '08) 1 hr Reno Hoock 83
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr DanFromSmithville 201,013
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 1 hr DanFromSmithville 151,414
Scientists create vast 3-D map of universe, val... 3 hr One way or another 6
The conscious God or the inanimate nature 14 hr Fear-God 8
More from around the web