Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 221262 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#119215 Jul 30, 2014
messianic114 wrote:
<quoted text>
Either that or you really don't have anything.
Nah. You just aren't worth the pixels to write more.
Bedbugs have evolved resistance to specific chemicals because of latent genetic gifts in God's design? Even if I had nothing, an objective clean slate would be 100% better than that lame Liar for Jesus excrement.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#119217 Jul 30, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
I contest the opinion that Bohart would view genocide as a bad thing.
If there was such a thing as a race of "Boharts" I might tend to agree.
messianic114

Calgary, Canada

#119218 Jul 30, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Pertaining the question: YES.
Are you a split personality? This was addressed to ChromiuMan.
I would not like someone saying my answer wasn't very good, give him a chance to do better.
messianic114

Calgary, Canada

#119219 Jul 30, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you asking questions pertaining to evidence when evidence doesn't matter to you? If YOU have an assertion to make then back it up with evidence. We don't have to back up or falsify each and every one of your baseless "what if" assertions. You've been caught lying almost as often as Bo (and that's saying something), yet you've only been here a fraction of the time.
I'm not the one making assertions.
Your getting caught with no facts or faulty reading of the facts so now you are trying to turn the tables and making personal attacks.
TurkanaBoy

Since: May 14

the Earth Clod

#119220 Jul 30, 2014
messianic114 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you a split personality? This was addressed to ChromiuMan.
I would not like someone saying my answer wasn't very good, give him a chance to do better.
Why should not answer questions posed from A to B?
It is a public forum here.
At least I am not dodging all the questions posed.
TurkanaBoy

Since: May 14

the Earth Clod

#119221 Jul 30, 2014
messianic114 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not the one making assertions.
Your getting caught with no facts or faulty reading of the facts so now you are trying to turn the tables and making personal attacks.
See? Responding again.
He TOO asked you a decent question and you didn't answer.

AGAIN: why are you asking all these questions?
And, above all, WHY are you not addressing the answers but just jump to the next question.
Do you have ANY idea of proper DEBATE?
WHAT IS YOUR POINT?

I predict:
- we will starting to pose questions too
- you will not be able to answer them properly.

Read my lips.
Don't get me wrong, it will be DECENT questions.

Question 1: can you give us a short definition of evolution theory?
It is a VERY relevant and DECENT question while, in normal debate, you are OBLIGED to have a basic understanding of the things you discuss. If else, all you say will be a straw fallacy by definition.

See, we can pose questions TOO.
BTW I will recognize copycats in one second.
If I am not satisfied with your answer, I will interrogate. Like you do.

Level 2

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#119222 Jul 30, 2014
Subliminal wrote:
<quoted text>So I ain't goona swear you out no more cuz ;D means I may agree with some of what you say, maybe not, but i'm Definitely having waaayyy more fin than you and
I got somethin' waaayyy better than troll tools to play with.
BTW sorry for fighting with you- it's ALL good now, hope you're ok, and i'm NOT calling you a troll or a tool in this message. That specifically meant a tool that is used by a troll.
You're right about that God thing. The Kabballah Jews call it Ein Sof - "The Incomprehensible" roughly translated
Fare the well Oh Sublim!,

P.S.. have fun

Level 2

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#119223 Jul 30, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Quite easily - by the definitions, proposals and allegations presented to us. We can easily judge the actions of the character as portrayed in the OT as a twisted ahole. We can easily judge the assertions made by fundies to argue for its existence to be highly flawed. And we can easily judge the evidence presented for its existence to be simply completely totally and utterly lacking.
Keep talking

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#119224 Jul 30, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Resistance is advanced by a random process, of minute mutations, though the advance is a clear progression toward survival. This is the same with antibiotic resistant bacteria, that's why it's important to rake the full course of the drug. Killing the bacteria that have developed some resistance to it. If you fail to do that a generation of a strain with some resistance is allowed to live. This is the way evolution works.
The mutation is random, but the selection is not random.

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#119225 Jul 30, 2014
messianic114 wrote:
<quoted text>
I was responding to someone who claimed evolution was not random. But how do you know they didn't already have a resistance and this is an example of genetic drift?
Resistance genes do exist in some populations at very low frequencies and by nonrandom selection, the resistance trait is selected. Resistance can also result from mutation and selection for that mutation. Both cases are evolution.

Genetic drift is more likely to result in the loss of any existing resistance genes due to their low frequency.
wondering

Morris, OK

#119226 Jul 30, 2014
you are correct little one. it is a geographical region as i stated in several of my first posts but some how i changed it to geological region in my later posts. good call. way to keep your eye on the ball.
wondering

Morris, OK

#119227 Jul 30, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I see that you are still trying to defend your idiotic statement.
And if you want to use the term "geological" then Cyprus is definitely not part of Europe. But then neither is Iceland. The inclusion of Cyprus as part of "Europe" is only a political inclusion. It is not a geographical one. It would be tantamount to calling Hawaii North American since it is part of the United States. And once again, Turkey is mostly Asian. Your own source specifically said that the European part of Turkey is not part of the Middle East.
Once again you have been hoisted by your own petard.
this discussion was over last night the results were you need to study geography. end of story.
wondering

Morris, OK

#119228 Jul 30, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
You were very good at admitting your wrong, as I may conclude out of your rantings with Sub.
NOW how about THAT pertaining the previous points we discussed?
So god made the plants just one day before he made the sun?
So the sun is younger than the plants?
Let's check the science: the first algal scum formed on the land 1,200 million years ago, the first more complex photosynthetic plants developed on the earth over 1,000 m.y.a. The sun emerged 4,600 million years ago.
TOTALLY WRONG. As RIDICULOUS as it can be.
BESIDES, what is it:
1) a day in Genesis is just a day, OR, as many creationists assume in their pathetic attempts to reconcile the bronze age crap book with modern science:
2) a very long period, hence "day" to be considered form god's perspective, which were to be eternal.
Do us a favour, instead of your weekly dancing and worshipping exhibition, for a change start a serious debate with your fellow bronze age mythology dwellers about the EXACT meaning of the biblical use of the word "day". When you reached a verdict, let us know. That will save us form your tattles until, I estimate, the ends of times.
BTW, do not start a religious war in between. Leave us OUT of your caboodle.
Do you think I have any respect for a book from which it even isn't clear whether a day should be considered to be just 24 hours, like all normal people do, or up to millions of years?
I have no clue what a day is considered in the bible. but you are the bible expert so inform us all.
wondering

Morris, OK

#119229 Jul 30, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Mustard custard.
ketchup is better
wondering

Morris, OK

#119230 Jul 30, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you arguing that there really was a six 24 hour creation?
i have no clue. do you? inform us what it really meant if you know.
wondering

Morris, OK

#119231 Jul 30, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
The mustard is not a tree. CAN'T HELP.
And you can say bla bla or blo blo or pruttle pruttle or da da or doe doe or whatever your want to tattle, it is not a tree.
The bible is wrong.
you cannot show one post where i "called" it a tree. however i did say several times with a height of 8-9 foot it could resemble a small tree or that 4000 years ago they might have thought of it as a small tree. i never called it a tree! your reading comprehension is showing no sign of improvement i see.
wondering

Morris, OK

#119232 Jul 30, 2014
TurkanaBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
MY research leads to the conclusion that mustard plants are not trees.
At best they grow shrubs.
DO WE NEED to entertain you about the difference between a shrub and a tree??????
You endless TATTLES are annoying AT BEST.
see my last post. puff fart stink.
wondering

Morris, OK

#119233 Jul 30, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll grant that "hissy fit" was an unwarranted exaggeration. My apologies.
"where has anyone messed with someones personal lives?" has the appearance of incredulous disbelief. To my knowledge, no one has said or even implied that you've engaged in such on Topix, but it has and does happen. I said what I was trying to say, which is that it's an unacceptable action.
no apology needed. i never threw a fit over personal attacks. i merely asked where it had been done.
wondering

Morris, OK

#119234 Jul 30, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again you moron, I did not call you a liar. I called you an idiot. Your own sources disagreed with you.
Or are you still trying to defend your idiotic claim about the Middle East?
the funny thing is you are both a liar and a idiot. are we clear on that now?
wondering

Morris, OK

#119235 Jul 30, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>As you noted, the Middle East is a geographical region and not a geological region. I am puzzled how someone could think that the mustarg plant including the black mustard could be mistaken for or considered a small tree. Height seems to be the main criteria for this statement. Well that and ignorance. There are many non-tree plants that have exceptional height and it doesn't make them a tree.
this post was to you: you are correct little one. it is a geographical region as i stated in several of my first posts but some how i changed it to geological region in my later posts. good call. way to keep your eye on the ball.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 min Science 67,215
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Science 28,657
Curious dilemma about DNA 1 hr Confucius 368
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 2 hr Subduction Zone 160,955
What location did life started in? 2 hr Confucius 11
Are Asians/whites more evolved? (Sep '07) 2 hr Confucius 1,766
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 3 hr Regolith Based Li... 3,531
News Defending the Faith: Intelligent design vs. 'Go... 12 hr replaytime 332
More from around the web