Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 197306 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#110782 Apr 6, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
Whenever variation is pushed to extremes by selective breeding
Ah, there's yer problem. Eugenics. Yes, that would be an impediment to diversification. NATURAL selection on the other hand doesn't have that problem.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#110783 Apr 6, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said they digested anything?
Which is why creationists are full of shi
Don't lookit me, that's AIG.
Kyle Broadneck

Cincinnati, OH

#110784 Apr 6, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I recently saw that referred to as the Big Bong Theory on here.
That was me. I made a typing mistake. It turned out to be funny. I think god made the universe a living thing and all of us plants and animals inside it are part of it. Just like the little one cell guys that live inside us. Does that sound to stupid?
Nick

Canada

#110785 Apr 6, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>You demand proof, but offer none of your own. The evidence you do offer is a concrete teddy bear. A phenomenon that was understood by science long before some wanker put a child's toy in a waterfall. You want proof go to a liquor store. If you want science, examine the evidence that is globally well known and documented. It is explained by no other theory than the theory of evolution.
Think of the difference between belief and science as such. Imagine an apple orchard in Minnesota. Trees laden with beautiful, sweet fruit. Science has named, the genus, species and variety. Modern agriculture based on science has result in a yield to ensure a bountiful harvest. You can exam its biology at the population, generic, individual or molecular level and show these to be apple trees. You are the horticulturalist that askews science in favor of belief. Because Eve ate the apple, you can't bear that your job is to work with such trees. You believe that they are oranges, despite the facts. You treat them as such and the harvest is lost. You die for want of the fruit of these trees and your disregard of knowledge.

Well it doesnt say eve ate an apple it say she ate a forbidden fruit but we dont know what friit it was or even if we still have it today an you want proof look at the bible nothing in it has been contradicted no ones been able to disprove it also look at the complexity of differrent animals they are far to complex and would need all the components that make them them to survive they could not survive if they slowly developed over millions of years
Shazam

Canada

#110786 Apr 6, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, evolution can be revised as new evidence is taken into account.
However the Bible was falsified long ago, at least, if you take it literally that is.
Flat Earth. Adam and Eve. Talking lizards and donkeys. Global flood.
At which point creationists make up all sorts of excuses to claim why these still happened because either the "literal" word of the Bible isn't really literal at all (such as flat Earth), or Godmagic fixes any and all problems (because if God wants a global flood it can darn well HAVE a global flood).
Of course out of creationism and evolution, only ONE of these successfully passes the scientific method. Care to guess which one?
The bible doesn't say the earth is flat adam and eve could have ver well been there even with evolution there needed too be at least two first humans sometime or another and it wasnt the animals that talked it was god through the animal and science has been able to say that that didnt happen it just makes it seem highly unlikely
Shazam

Canada

#110787 Apr 6, 2014
And i was supposed to write hasnt at that last sentence oops :-P

“Dinosaurs survived the flood!”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Jesus probably rode dinosaurs!

#110788 Apr 6, 2014
Kyle Broadneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That was me. I made a typing mistake. It turned out to be funny. I think god made the universe a living thing and all of us plants and animals inside it are part of it. Just like the little one cell guys that live inside us. Does that sound to stupid?
Yes, I remember now. Thanks.

Other than stating I am a Methodist, I don't normally share my religious views on this forum, but it seems I have been on this thread. I don't really consider the universe a living thing, but beyond that I would agree with you in principle based on those religious beliefs.

I don't find your particular view stupid. What I consider stupid is to ignore facts in favor of unsupported dogma.

“Seventh son”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#110789 Apr 6, 2014
Shazam wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible doesn't say the earth is flat adam and eve could have ver well been there even with evolution there needed too be at least two first humans sometime or another and it wasnt the animals that talked it was god through the animal and science has been able to say that that didnt happen it just makes it seem highly unlikely
Your friend just came into the room and told you god spoke through the cat , and you're saying science said it was unlikely?

Level 9

#110790 Apr 6, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
Well it doesnt say eve ate an apple it say she ate a forbidden fruit but we dont know what friit it was or even if we still have it today an you want proof look at the bible nothing in it has been contradicted no ones been able to disprove it also look at the complexity of differrent animals they are far to complex and would need all the components that make them them to survive they could not survive if they slowly developed over millions of years
The apple was metaphorical and meant to fulfill my example. The fruit of the story was likely a fig. I was just checking and the center of origin of apples is central Asia, so there is a good chance the Hebrews new them. I really don't know. Did you know that production is as much as 69 million tons a year worldwide. That is a lot of solar energy, water and nutrients in yummy little packages.

I am not a Bible scholar, but since I was a child I noted the inconsistencies in the Bible and questioned them, at least to my self then, and later more widely. For instance the two stories of creation in Genesis 1 and 2. Other parts are simply not supported by any facts. The primary example that comes up here is Noah and the global flood. Your belief in the infallibility of the Bible is an example of the adherence to religious dogma over facts. It is your business if you do, but it has a lot of down sides including, in my opinion, an incomplete understanding of God and the whole of the natural world.

What you are referring to has lately been called irreducible complexity. It is a dead or at least dying concept. Essentially, life is alleged to have burst into existence fully formed and certain features could not be reduced down to more primitive features and function. It has never been supported by any evidence. The example that often comes up here is the bacterial flagella. It is driven by an engine made up of proteins and other molecules that has been said to be functionless if any part is removed. Then some damned scientist went and found another bacteria possessing another structure based on the same set up with fewer parts. There are other examples. You are welcome to look them up. You will probably run across the mouse trap example. Don't be fooled. It isn't irreducibly complex either.

Let me mention that what you did was make an assertion, actually a number of them and then didn't support your assertions with the details of evidence. Saying something doesn't make it true and it may not be so even with evidence, but do us a favor and try.

A will take this time to mention complexity. Complexity is not a requirement of evolution, but it is a result. You can have less complex organisms that evolved from more complex organisms. Parasites and in a similar, but lesser degree parasitoids are examples of organisms that show less complexity in their form, biology, or functions than related non-parasitic species or their ancestors. Cave flora and fauna are another example. Many troglobitic species have reduced complexity compared to their extant and extinct relatives. In the case of some, perhaps all of these examples, lost complexity resulted from losing the protection of natural selection.

Level 9

#110791 Apr 6, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
I wanted to mention this, but it slipped my mind earlier. The unwritten implication of irreducible complexity is perfection. Living things are far from perfect in their form and function. If you are willing to go a little further, then do a review and comparison of the human eye and that of the squid. Ask yourself, why would a designer create flawed eyes for some and not others. Why would there be flawed designs at all?
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#110792 Apr 6, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
Well it doesnt say eve ate an apple it say she ate a forbidden fruit but we dont know what friit it was or even if we still have it today
Well, it says the tree's fruit gave the "knowledge of good and evil." Pretty strange "fruit," wasn't it? Isn't it OBVIOUS that this is a story element in a FAIRY TALE?
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
you want proof look at the bible nothing in it has been contradicted no ones been able to disprove it
What nonsense. There are hundreds of thousands of books and websites detailing the countless ways in which the Bible has errors of history, geography, science and plain fact.

We know from modern science that there was no Noachian Flood, nor COULD there have been. We know the earth is very old, not 6000 years old as some fundamentalists insist.

We know that homo sapiens evolved gradually out of earlier, proto-human species, and the=at there never were, nor COULD there have been, two distinct First humans," in the same way that you cannot look at a rainbow and find the exact point where red turns into orange, for example. It's a seamless blend.
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
look at the complexity of differrent animals they are far to complex and would need all the components that make them them to survive they could not survive if they slowly developed over millions of years
Of course they could have survived over millions of years. Each mother gives birth to a baby that is slightly different from her. Those changes gradually accumulate until, in some cases,t he species are so different they have branched off into NEW SPECIES. But each individual in each generation is healthy and lives its life.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#110793 Apr 6, 2014
Shazam wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible doesn't say the earth is flat adam
You're right, there is no one passage that says, "Yea, verily, I sayeth unto thee, my people, ye earth is FLAT."

But in HUNDREDS of passages, the writer describes the earth as if it is a flat disc covered by a semi-circular dome with lights stuck into it and holes through which the rain can come down, and through God presumably can peek to watch you masturbate, etc.

The Bible’s flat earth/solid sky dome universe
http://www.goatstar.org/the-bibles-flat-earth...
Shazam

Canada

#110794 Apr 6, 2014
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right, there is no one passage that says, "Yea, verily, I sayeth unto thee, my people, ye earth is FLAT."
But in HUNDREDS of passages, the writer describes the earth as if it is a flat disc covered by a semi-circular dome with lights stuck into it and holes through which the rain can come down, and through God presumably can peek to watch you masturbate, etc.
The Bible’s flat earth/solid sky dome universe
http://www.goatstar.org/the-bibles-flat-earth...
Well people thought it was flat back then and the probably wrote it into theire writings it doesnt mean that the earth is flat it just means that the people back then thought it was
Shazam

Canada

#110795 Apr 6, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Your friend just came into the room and told you god spoke through the cat , and you're saying science said it was unlikely?
If my friend just came into the room and said that no id never believe him until i saw it but if God said that he spoke through these different animal the. Id believe it and is why i believe the bible

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#110796 Apr 6, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
Your inability to use correct grammar is compelling.

Let me try.

Well god used a fruit to trick eve into learning something the old devil and then he said now you know something i am gonna kill you my bitch and that Adam fella he my bitch too and tho i created you with curiosity then put you in a garden and told you not to look at one thing you did dirty little fuckers and i knew you would since i created you to want to look that way therefore you must suffer and die which i also knew was inevitable too. dont like it? i will torture you forever and dont believe it i will torture you worse and here is your code of ethics by the way you have to commit genocide to activate the code of ethics.do this and dont do that well im gonna make your code of ethics so fucked up that you are left wondering whats real ethics and I am the God that LOVES YOU so perhaps you can tell ME cos fact is i never wanted you to know the difference between good and evil but i gave you the choice knowing you would choose it, fuck that was dumb so im gonna kill everyone with a flud then later as penetince for my own stupidity im gonna go down and pretend to be a man and get sacrificed cos at least if I cannot do much more i can stop these dumb humans killing animals in my name and which dumbass human had that idea anyay that i wanted them to do that..

How the F can you believe this infantile bullshit?
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#110797 Apr 6, 2014
Shazam wrote:
<quoted text>
Well people thought it was flat back then and the probably wrote it into theire writings it doesnt mean that the earth is flat it just means that the people back then thought it was
The point though, is that the Bible CANNOT be the inerrant "Word of God" if it is plainly WRONG on the shape of the earth, as well as hundreds of other things.

It was written by MEN, limited, fallible, self-interested MEN.
Nick

Canada

#110798 Apr 6, 2014
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
The point though, is that the Bible CANNOT be the inerrant "Word of God" if it is plainly WRONG on the shape of the earth, as well as hundreds of other things.
But its not wrong thats just what people believed back then
Nick

Canada

#110799 Apr 6, 2014
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your inability to use correct grammar is compelling.
Let me try.
Well god used a fruit to trick eve into learning something the old devil and then he said now you know something i am gonna kill you my bitch and that Adam fella he my bitch too and tho i created you with curiosity then put you in a garden and told you not to look at one thing you did dirty little fuckers and i knew you would since i created you to want to look that way therefore you must suffer and die which i also knew was inevitable too. dont like it? i will torture you forever and dont believe it i will torture you worse and here is your code of ethics by the way you have to commit genocide to activate the code of ethics.do this and dont do that well im gonna make your code of ethics so fucked up that you are left wondering whats real ethics and I am the God that LOVES YOU so perhaps you can tell ME cos fact is i never wanted you to know the difference between good and evil but i gave you the choice knowing you would choose it, fuck that was dumb so im gonna kill everyone with a flud then later as penetince for my own stupidity im gonna go down and pretend to be a man and get sacrificed cos at least if I cannot do much more i can stop these dumb humans killing animals in my name and which dumbass human had that idea anyay that i wanted them to do that..
How the F can you believe this infantile bullshit?
God loved us enough to give us a choice he didn't want us to be mindless slaves he wanted us to truly love him and he knew that if we did that that we would obey him and show others what it means to be loved by him. God didnt give adam and eve an impossible choice he only asked them to love him and obey his commands and if adam and eve didnt sin well then i would t be having this convo with you

“Seventh son”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#110800 Apr 6, 2014
Shazam wrote:
<quoted text>
If my friend just came into the room and said that no id never believe him until i saw it but if God said that he spoke through these different animal the. Id believe it and is why i believe the bible
So you spoke to god directly? Or you're saying since it said it in the bible you believe it?
I find that very odd that you take the word of a book over your friend.

Level 2

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#110801 Apr 6, 2014
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
The same type of men,..limited, fallible , and self-interested came up with the idea of evolution, yet you don't have a problem swallowing that load. Why? because you desire to believe it

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 7 min ChristineM 13,256
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 10 min ChristineM 31,237
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 19 min Chimney1 150,944
News RANT: Is "global warming" today's version of th... Wed bearings 2
Another "gap" gets closed Tue MIDutch 1
Christianity and why its wrong + evolution debates May 21 Zog Has-fallen 15
Are Asians/whites more evolved? (Sep '07) May 17 Bkd 1,746
More from around the web