Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 223384 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#99636 Sep 14, 2013
MikeF wrote:
Interesting to note hat Politix is running a poll right now asking "Is evolutionary science a threat to Christianity?"
It's been almost 90% No.
:-)
Yes, but read the comments. An amazing number of the noes are from creatards that do not believe the theory of evolution.
buckwheat

Tulsa, OK

#99637 Sep 14, 2013
Faith: not WANTING to know what is true.

Friedrich Nietzsche

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

#99638 Sep 14, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but read the comments. An amazing number of the noes are from creatards that do not believe the theory of evolution.
No surprise. They never know when to shut up.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#99639 Sep 14, 2013
Croco_Duck wrote:
So why is it that Moses had to lay down the rules of what animals were OK to eat and which weren't to the Israelites, but everyone else gets to eat bacon? Why doesn't the laws of Leviticus 11 apply to Christians?
the infallible god was wrong the first time...
spOko

Oakland, CA

#99640 Sep 14, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>the evidence would suggest we ALL become nothing when we die.
Lots of stuff happens after a living thing dies
http://www.memorialpages.co.uk/articles/decom...

As for the “energy” nothing much happens, it follows the law of the conservation of energy. Maybe an analogy will help. When your car is running, there's an interesting flow of energy of a variety of types through the engine, electrical system, and so forth. When the car is off, most of that flow ceases. The energy itself doesn't disappear or do anything surprising or hard to explain. The thermal energy in the hot engine gradually leaks into the environment, etc.
spOko

Oakland, CA

#99641 Sep 14, 2013
Croco_Duck wrote:
So why is it that Moses had to lay down the rules of what animals were OK to eat and which weren't to the Israelites, but everyone else gets to eat bacon? Why doesn't the laws of Leviticus 11 apply to Christians?
LOL ... you would have to ask Moses :-)

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#99642 Sep 14, 2013
spOko wrote:
<quoted text>
Lots of stuff happens after a living thing dies
http://www.memorialpages.co.uk/articles/decom...
As for the “energy” nothing much happens, it follows the law of the conservation of energy. Maybe an analogy will help. When your car is running, there's an interesting flow of energy of a variety of types through the engine, electrical system, and so forth. When the car is off, most of that flow ceases. The energy itself doesn't disappear or do anything surprising or hard to explain. The thermal energy in the hot engine gradually leaks into the environment, etc.
but lacking any evidence for a soul or any afterlife. that would be nothing for that dead person.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#99643 Sep 14, 2013
spOko wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL ... you would have to ask Moses :-)
the proven false god of the bible laid down those laws, not Moses...

“Good day to you!”

Level 2

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#99644 Sep 14, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yes, after the trauma that caused the death. not trauma after death...
your entire thesis is based on nonesense, just like your cult...
Nonsense to you. That is understandable. Humans are one of the only known species to exist that pass nothing of the past onto those being born after them. All species pass on several or many DNA oriented skills for survival and some things are implanted into the memory for the next generation, like elephants passing on where watering holes are to babies that have never been to them. But grown and alone they know where to locate these water holes they have never been to.
Humans pass down nothing as all other species do concerning survival instinct. We don't follow migration routes, we're not tuned into the earth's magnetic field to use it for travel, we don't pass down knowledge where the best cave and oasis are, we pass down absolutely not a thing as other species do that they 'naturally' use for an instinct for survival. Nearly everything that we know happens by watching and being taught for years on end.
Our species is suppose to be linked to the cells hundreds of millions to billions of years past, a time period that should have given us qualities we don't have, and we the supreme thinking specie are born dumb as a door knob without survival skills or instincts to live. Ever think about that?

“Good day to you!”

Level 2

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#99645 Sep 14, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>the proven false god of the bible laid down those laws, not Moses...
lolol.....PROVEN false god???? lol...how in the fricking *ell do you prove something that can't be proven to exist is proof it doesn't/can't exist? Too funny dude...

Level 2

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#99646 Sep 14, 2013
spOko wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL ... you would have to ask Moses :-)
Come to think of it, the Old Testament was written for the Jews. Why do Christians follow it at all? And if they claim to follow its laws, why do they always ignore the Leviticus 11 part?

Level 2

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#99647 Sep 15, 2013
Croco_Duck wrote:
Come to think of it, the Old Testament was written for the Jews. Why do Christians follow it at all? And if they claim to follow its laws, why do they always ignore the Leviticus 11 part?
Not to mention the Leviticus 19:27 part - "You shall not round off the side-growth of your heads nor harm the edges of your beard."

Horoscopes and fortune cookies - Leviticus 19:31 - "Do not turn to mediums or spiritists; do not seek them out to be defiled by them. I am the Lord your God."

No tattoos - Leviticus 19:28 - "You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the Lord."

Polyester - Leviticus 19:19 - "You are to keep My statutes. You shall not breed together two kinds of your cattle; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor wear a garment upon you of two kinds of material mixed together."

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#99648 Sep 15, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
lolol.....PROVEN false god???? lol...how in the fricking *ell do you prove something that can't be proven to exist is proof it doesn't/can't exist? Too funny dude...
the god of the bible has been proven false. by the bible itself, the man-made book that created the god of abraham.

are your thought processes as twisted as your sentence structure?

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#99649 Sep 15, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Nonsense to you. That is understandable. Humans are one of the only known species to exist that pass nothing of the past onto those being born after them. All species pass on several or many DNA oriented skills for survival and some things are implanted into the memory for the next generation, like elephants passing on where watering holes are to babies that have never been to them. But grown and alone they know where to locate these water holes they have never been to.
Humans pass down nothing as all other species do concerning survival instinct. We don't follow migration routes, we're not tuned into the earth's magnetic field to use it for travel, we don't pass down knowledge where the best cave and oasis are, we pass down absolutely not a thing as other species do that they 'naturally' use for an instinct for survival. Nearly everything that we know happens by watching and being taught for years on end.
Our species is suppose to be linked to the cells hundreds of millions to billions of years past, a time period that should have given us qualities we don't have, and we the supreme thinking specie are born dumb as a door knob without survival skills or instincts to live. Ever think about that?
No, i don't think about it as it is patently false.

why do babies instinctively know to hold their breath underwater?

sorry charlie...

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#99650 Sep 15, 2013
Croco_Duck wrote:
<quoted text>
Come to think of it, the Old Testament was written for the Jews. Why do Christians follow it at all? And if they claim to follow its laws, why do they always ignore the Leviticus 11 part?
Because when they made up the myth that jesus was a god, they ran into a little theological conundrum. so they invented the three part god. so now those words were also the words of their god...even though they contradict one another... i guess their god is a schizoid....

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#99651 Sep 15, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>No, i don't think about it as it is patently false.
why do babies instinctively know to hold their breath underwater?
sorry charlie...
Babies don't hold their breathe instinctively idiot. It is a reflex of cool water on the face called the "Mammalian diving reflex"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammalian_diving...

To add a little more;
This reflex, also called the bradycardic response, causes babies to hold their breath when submerged, says Jeffrey Wagener, a pediatric pulmonologist in Denver. Parents can get this same reaction by blowing in their baby's face. The reflex weakens as a baby gets older, but even adults have it to some degree.

So by your comment the baby must think it is in danger of drowning when someone blows in the babies face too huh? LMAO.

It is a reflex, not a instinct. You do know what a reflex is don't you? It is involuntary. Meaning we have no control over it!!!

A reflex action, differently known as a reflex, is an involuntary and nearly instantaneous movement in response to a stimulus.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflex

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#99652 Sep 15, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Babies don't hold their breathe instinctively idiot. It is a reflex of cool water on the face called the "Mammalian diving reflex"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammalian_diving...
To add a little more;
This reflex, also called the bradycardic response, causes babies to hold their breath when submerged, says Jeffrey Wagener, a pediatric pulmonologist in Denver. Parents can get this same reaction by blowing in their baby's face. The reflex weakens as a baby gets older, but even adults have it to some degree.
So by your comment the baby must think it is in danger of drowning when someone blows in the babies face too huh? LMAO.
It is a reflex, not a instinct. You do know what a reflex is don't you? It is involuntary. Meaning we have no control over it!!!
A reflex action, differently known as a reflex, is an involuntary and nearly instantaneous movement in response to a stimulus.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflex
In other words it is instinctual. It is not a learned response.

Don't you know what instincts are?

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#99653 Sep 15, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words it is instinctual. It is not a learned response.
Don't you know what instincts are?
The Mammalian diving reflex and I say REFLEX is only stimulated in cool water. It is not triggered in warm water (70 degrees) thus it is a reflex to the cold water. If it was a instinct it would happen in any water, warm or cool being you can drown in both warm or cold water.

Level 2

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#99654 Sep 15, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
The Mammalian diving reflex and I say REFLEX is only stimulated in cool water. It is not triggered in warm water (70 degrees) thus it is a reflex to the cold water. If it was a instinct it would happen in any water, warm or cool being you can drown in both warm or cold water.
So you're saying that human babies don't have instincts? What about the instinct to suckle, or is that just a reflex?

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#99655 Sep 15, 2013
Croco_Duck wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're saying that human babies don't have instincts? What about the instinct to suckle, or is that just a reflex?
Where did anyone say that? The Mammalian diving reflex is a reflex. If it was an instinct it would happen in any water no matter the temperature.

Suckling is a survival instinct same as eating is to adults. Without eating we die. Now some will call it a reflex that is triggered by anything that touches the lips or the roof of their mouth causes them to suck. Sucking on the thumb or pacifier insures no survival but it still triggers the suckling reflex. So I would call it both. It is an instinct to survive and is triggered by a reflex. But then again some babies are born that don't have the suckling reflex and have to be tube fed until they can be taught how to eat.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 16 min Samuel Patre 169,833
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 51 min Wisdom of Ages 95,383
Genetic Study proves 90 percent of animals appe... 1 hr 15th Dalai Lama 71
List what words of Jesus (the Creator) you evol... 6 hr Davidjayjordan 98
Hawaiian Volcanic Eruptions and Prophetic Catac... 7 hr Davidjayjordan 22
The “cumulative evidence” problem 19 hr jla2w 30
E equals MC squared Sun Jim Ryan 15