Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 199178 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Level 1

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#98638 Aug 25, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
"There are over 7 billion humans on earth....I would guess that they don't believe in your God any more then you believe in theirs."

Meant to say 4 billion out of 7 billion are not followers of Christianity.

To many mistakes today....I'm going to bed.:-)
Ok
Level 1

Location hidden

#98639 Aug 25, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>The figure is as it stands, the universe appears to have been born 13.7 bya, but this is not written in stone like a prophesy.
That figure can change, and figures do change in science as new information and knowledge becomes available.
Just like the word multiverse that you struggle with.
Please grace us with some more of your pig headed stupidity now.
I have no issues with multi verses.

You have issues with it. You try and call multi verses universes. Uni meaning ONE.

Universe - all known or theorized matter and energy and space.

By definition multi verses are part of the universe. Sad you can't grasp something so simple.
Level 1

Location hidden

#98640 Aug 25, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>Not just A fossil. A contiuum of fossils and the relationship between one and the next. If you lined up the progression on a table you might argue that each could be the same species as the one to the left and the one to the right in every case. But jump 2 to the left or right and that is not likely and jump 3 and the differences are large.

Furthermore this gradation of differences starts with specimens measurably more similar to typical ape morphlogy and gradually moves to measurably more human morphology.

And of course, dating of this row of specimens will also show the most apelike to be the oldest and the least to be the youngest.

This is all as evolution predicted before the first was found, a perfect case of a theory making valid observable predictions. A creationism neither predicted nor can explain it.
The Cambrian explosion is missing billions and billions of transition fossils.

Why?
Level 1

Location hidden

#98641 Aug 25, 2013
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>Wouldn't it take God time to think about creating time? So where did God's time come from?

Theists have this weird idea that God can just exist without explanation but the universe can't. That's a fallacy called special pleading.

Put simply, if the universe needs a creator then the creator needs a creator.
If the creator doesn't need a creator then why should the universe?

God isn't nothing. He's a something and yes he does need explaining.
Time is part of the universe so no it does not take time for God to do anything, he also knows the beginning just as he knows the end. It all there for him to see.

"creator.
If the creator doesn't need a creator then why should the universe?"

Because God always existed. The universe had a beginning 13.7 billion years ago.

Time had a starting point.
Nothing can exist with out time
Nothing can happen with out time.
For time to pop into existence requires Time. "Paradox"

Level 2

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#98642 Aug 25, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
I see, first it was 70% of the world is atheist so we must be right
Then when the real number are shown
You say "argument from popularity proves that majority of the world is Deluded and stupid,"
Go Figure
I don't remember anyone saying 70% was Atheists. Someone said it was 70% non-Christian.

Level 1

Since: Aug 13

La Mesa, CA

#98643 Aug 25, 2013
Here are my thoughts about 'the theory of evolution': 1) It's a theory, and therefore, should not be taught in schools as if it is a fact - let's teach just the facts in our schools, and 2) 'the theory of evolution' cannot account for the fact that fully-evolved species simply appear out of nowhere, as if they were just all-of-a-sudden created, with no fossil records showing them 'evolving over time.' Even in the present, we continue to discover new species of life that we didn't know about previously - something that we don't understand is happening here - new species continue to appear out of nowhere, as if they had just been created and introduced into the world - we can't explain how this is happening.

Level 2

Location hidden

#98644 Aug 25, 2013
... and the non-Christian number goes up if you include Catholics and Mormons in that number like the evangelicals do.
Level 1

Location hidden

#98645 Aug 25, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>The Bible makes the assertions you claim as "Truth", the burden to substantiate them is on you. Where to start? Plants created before the sun? A day is a light and dark or a thousand years? Adam and Eve? City of Enoch? Global flood? Tower of Babel? Talking reptiles, donkeys, etc.? Parting the Red Sea? 3 days living in a fish? The walls of Jericho and the actual existence of Nazareth? Walking on water? How about >any< evidence that the scriptures are inspired by >any deity< at all?
"Plants created before the sun"

But not before light was created, funny how you reach for straws

The Days Of Creation

Here's a list of what God created on each of the six days of creation:

Day 1: The heavens, the earth, light and darkness.

Day 2: Heaven

Day 3: Dry land, the seas, and vegetation.

Day 4: The sun, the moon and the stars.

Day 5: Living creatures in the water, birds in the air.

Day 6: Land animals and people.

Day 7: God "rested".

How Long Is A Day?

There is a theory that says each of God's days in Genesis were actually millions of years for us. Is this true?

Maybe we need to ask what does the word "day" mean in Genesis?

The Hebrew word "yom" is translated as day in Genesis. Just as our word "day" can have different meanings based on its context, so can the word "yom". For example, in the Old Testament "yom" is translated to mean a 24 hour day 1109 times. It means a long, long period of time--such as an age--about nine times.

However, every time the word "yom" is used with the term evening or morning in the Bible, it means a regular 24 hour day.

Every time the word "yom" is used with a number, such as "40 yom" (40 days), it means a regular 24 hour day.

What we now see is that in Genesis chapter one God is going out of His way to emphasize that each day is a normal 24 hour day. For example in verse five He says:

"And there was evening and there was morning, one day."

Verse 8: "And there was evening and there was morning, a second day."

Verse 13: "There was evening and there was morning, a third day."

For each day of creation the pattern is the same: evening, morning, number, day. Just part of that pattern, for example using the words "evening" and "day" together, tell us it was a 24 hour day. But God tells us in three ways -- evening, morning, number -- that the word day means... an ordinary 24 hour day.

God is making it very clear: He created everything in six ordinary days.
Level 1

Location hidden

#98646 Aug 25, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>When trying to call someone an idiot you should at the very least be able to write a legible sentence.
So you're saying it doesn't take one to know one.

Level 2

Location hidden

#98647 Aug 25, 2013
ALaughterClub wrote:
Here are my thoughts about 'the theory of evolution': 1) It's a theory, and therefore, should not be taught in schools as if it is a fact - let's teach just the facts in our schools,
A scientific theory is made up of facts. You may as well say that the planets revolving around the sun is just a theory.
ALaughterClub wrote:
and 2)'the theory of evolution' cannot account for the fact that fully-evolved species simply appear out of nowhere, as if they were just all-of-a-sudden created, with no fossil records showing them 'evolving over time.' Even in the present, we continue to discover new species of life that we didn't know about previously - something that we don't understand is happening here - new species continue to appear out of nowhere, as if they had just been created and introduced into the world - we can't explain how this is happening.
This podcast mp3 may help you http://public.npr.org/anon.npr-podcasts/podca...
Level 1

Location hidden

#98648 Aug 25, 2013
Croco_Duck wrote:
<quoted text>I don't remember anyone saying 70% was Atheists. Someone said it was 70% non-Christian.
You right.
I miss read it.

“Dinosaurs survived the flood!”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Jesus probably rode dinosaurs!

#98650 Aug 25, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Men's room to the left because women are always Right! So you must be right.
At least you know where to go to the bathroom and to find your opinion. You have that going for you.

Level 9

#98651 Aug 25, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
You right.
I miss read it.
Seems to be a recurrent theme with you.

Level 2

Location hidden

#98652 Aug 25, 2013
Tomorrow I shall eat bacon, and will eventually go to Hell for it.

[QUOTE who="God the almighty, omnipotent ruler of the universe"]Leviticus 11
7 And the pig, though it has a divided hoof, does not chew the cud; it is unclean for you. 8 You must not eat their meat or touch their carcasses; they are unclean for you[/QUOTE]

I may even toss around a football or try to catch a greased pig at the fair.

Level 9

#98653 Aug 25, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
"We are getting off target here. there is no need to argue the small crap....I'm saying your God does not exist, and the proof is the Bible is full of proven lies and mistakes."
This of course is incorrect.
What is your evidence? Other than random, ancient and unsubstantiated references to nails in coal mines and bigfoot, I mean.

For instance the two different versions of creation in Genesis 1 and 2. These are known and discussed by biblical scholars. Do you even recognize their existence or understand the implications? This is just one of many inconsistencies that others have posted previously.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#98654 Aug 25, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're saying it doesn't take one to know one.
That's right.

I don't have to be an idiot to see that you are an idiot.

Very good. This was your first correct post here. Congratulations.

Perhaps even you can learn.

Level 9

#98655 Aug 25, 2013
ALaughterClub wrote:
Here are my thoughts about 'the theory of evolution': 1) It's a theory, and therefore, should not be taught in schools as if it is a fact - let's teach just the facts in our schools, and 2)'the theory of evolution' cannot account for the fact that fully-evolved species simply appear out of nowhere, as if they were just all-of-a-sudden created, with no fossil records showing them 'evolving over time.' Even in the present, we continue to discover new species of life that we didn't know about previously - something that we don't understand is happening here - new species continue to appear out of nowhere, as if they had just been created and introduced into the world - we can't explain how this is happening.
Are you saying that species don't exist until we find them? You seem to be combining the meaning of discovery and existence into one concept.

When you get something new, do you believe it didn't exist until you got it?

The theory of evolution explains where these "newly" discovered species come from. They are not appearing out of nowhere.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#98656 Aug 25, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
"We are getting off target here. there is no need to argue the small crap....I'm saying your God does not exist, and the proof is the Bible is full of proven lies and mistakes."
This of course is incorrect.
No, the Bible has been shown to be error filled.

It has over four hundred, that is right count them over 400 self contradictions.

It is filled with bad science. Sheep mating in front of sticks will have striped young. Doves blood can cure leprosy. And of course the debunked myths of Genesis.

It has bad history, there was no Exodus. An event of that "Biblical proportion" would have left evidence. There is none.

It is filled with bad morals. If you had a single daughter and a man raped her would it be okay with you if he paid you $500.00 and married your daughter? Would it be okay with your daughter? Sorry, no complaining allowed, the Bible says that will absolve him.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#98657 Aug 25, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
The Cambrian explosion is missing billions and billions of transition fossils.
Why?
No, its not.

And the "explosion" you refer to took over 70 million years including the preceding Ediacaran.

Level 2

Location hidden

#98658 Aug 25, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Are you saying that species don't exist until we find them? You seem to be combining the meaning of discovery and existence into one concept.
I think they are saying that new species are being created all the time. The Bible is apparently wrong when it said God was done in six days.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 min Chimney1 33,943
News ID Isn't Science, But That's the Least Of Its P... 5 min DanFromSmithville 31
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 18 min Don Barros Serrano 151,280
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 20 min DanFromSmithville 14,813
My Story Part 1 23 hr JanusBifrons 1
News Should evolution be taught in high school? (Feb '08) Fri Don Barros Serrano 179,706
Evolution in action Jun 20 Darth Robo 9
More from around the web