Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

“HATRED EATS THE SOUL OF”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

THE HATER -- NOT THE HATED

#94457 Jun 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Not once. You misinterpreted what I wrote. The path of evolution can be described as a drunkard's walk. That does not mean the process is random. The best quick analogy that I can come up with is to think of a drunkard's walk down a slope. His path will be erratic but sooner or later he will be at the bottom of the hill.
I thought you said it was random, I guess not. Ok then as the drunkard walk going down hill, sooner or later he will get there so evolution has direction?

“The strength of science is”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

founded in facts.

#94458 Jun 28, 2013
Aussiebob wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude go tell some one who cares
ROFL!!!

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#94459 Jun 28, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought you said it was random, I guess not. Ok then as the drunkard walk going down hill, sooner or later he will get there so evolution has direction?
In hindsight yes, in foresight no. There are so many positive paths that evolution can take it is hard to predict what will happen ahead of time. There are some very narrow aspects that can be predicted, but even then the exact path cannot be specified. Look at sight as an example. It has evolved many times and taken many different paths. The end result is roughly the same, but the mechanics are different due to the different paths.

“pshhhhh”

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#94460 Jun 28, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>I thought you said it was random, I guess not. Ok then as the drunkard walk going down hill, sooner or later he will get there so evolution has direction?
Forgive me if I'm wrong but would a drunkards walk down a hill not be the most random thing you've ever seen lol

Level 5

#94461 Jun 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
In hindsight yes, in foresight no. There are so many positive paths that evolution can take it is hard to predict what will happen ahead of time. There are some very narrow aspects that can be predicted, but even then the exact path cannot be specified. Look at sight as an example. It has evolved many times and taken many different paths. The end result is roughly the same, but the mechanics are different due to the different paths.
The direction is in the population.

The environment drags the population toward greater fitness within it. The population exists in an environment containing life-threatening hazards that can destroy individuals in the population. Because there are variations among the individuals, some are better able to resist the hazards and survive, and others are more vulnerable and are destroyed.

By destroying the more vulnerable members, the environment inadvertently leaves behind the individuals who were best able to resist destruction (the survivors). Those will be the parents of the next generation, and the next generation will tend to have characteristics similar to their parents, i.e. the characteristics of the survivors.

The variation among individuals is random, without direction. Then the environment destroys the ones who are less well suited to surviving in that environment, which gives a direction to the population's evolution by only allowing changes in one direction to be successful.

That is the direction of evolution.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#94462 Jun 28, 2013
Aussiebob wrote:
<quoted text>
Forgive me if I'm wrong but would a drunkards walk down a hill not be the most random thing you've ever seen lol
Where did he start and where did he end? If you did not see the walk you might make the mistake of thinking he took a straight path.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#94463 Jun 28, 2013
Aussiebob wrote:
<quoted text>
You dont get older being silly in this country none of the animals you mentioned pose serious threat anyway
I grew up in the bush n il quite happily handle a brown snake along with any other hmm no crocs where i am I'm afraid or funnel webs haha scared of roos you gotta be kidding
Those dingos are gonna get you man! lol

“pshhhhh”

Location hidden

#94464 Jun 28, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>The direction is in the population.

The environment drags the population toward greater fitness within it. The population exists in an environment containing life-threatening hazards that can destroy individuals in the population. Because there are variations among the individuals, some are better able to resist the hazards and survive, and others are more vulnerable and are destroyed.

By destroying the more vulnerable members, the environment inadvertently leaves behind the individuals who were best able to resist destruction (the survivors). Those will be the parents of the next generation, and the next generation will tend to have characteristics similar to their parents, i.e. the characteristics of the survivors.

The variation among individuals is random, without direction. Then the environment destroys the ones who are less well suited to surviving in that environment, which gives a direction to the population's evolution by only allowing changes in one direction to be successful.

Yupp i agree with this post

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#94465 Jun 28, 2013
News Flash!
Aussie Bob was mangled to death today in Queensland by a viscous gang of goannas led by a Tasmanian devil. lmao

“pshhhhh”

Location hidden

#94466 Jun 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>Where did he start and where did he end? If you did not see the walk you might make the mistake of thinking he took a straight path.
An obviously missed alot in-between ?

“pshhhhh”

Location hidden

#94467 Jun 28, 2013
Don't live in tasmania weirdo there is devils here

“pshhhhh”

Location hidden

#94468 Jun 28, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
News Flash!
Aussie Bob was mangled to death today in Queensland by a viscous gang of goannas led by a Tasmanian devil. lmao
Il eat the goannas

“pshhhhh”

Location hidden

#94469 Jun 28, 2013
Aussiebob wrote:
Don't live in tasmania weirdo there is devils here
Is no devils here

Level 9

Everett, WA

#94470 Jun 28, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
The direction is in the population.
Really? No direction.

What if the environment is continually cooling. Since evolution has no direction soon all life will die because it gets below 55 degrees Fahrenheit at night.

Hmm, that does not seem to be the case. Perhaps replaytime is wrong.

Level 5

#94471 Jun 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? No direction.
What if the environment is continually cooling. Since evolution has no direction soon all life will die because it gets below 55 degrees Fahrenheit at night.
Do you not comprehend what that says? Where in any of that does it say "no direction"?

Level 9

founded in facts.

#94472 Jun 28, 2013
Aussiebob wrote:
<quoted text>
Yupp i agree with this post
Yep, it is called natural selection. You just agreed with evolution.

SBT
Level 2

United States

#94473 Jun 28, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>human eyes are actually rather pathetic by comparison in the real world.
why did your proven mythical god give his favorite species foruth rate eyes?
when you look at yoru cult with an objective eye and logic, it falls apart, as do all your arguments...
My eyes are ok, you should see the woman I got..
Also I'm still here because I have better eyes than the bears I used to dodge in alaska LOL.

Level 9

founded in facts.

#94474 Jun 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? No direction.
It is confusing direction with selection pressure.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#94475 Jun 28, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you not comprehend what that says? Where in any of that does it say "no direction"?
Yup, you got me. I made a mistake.

Level 5

#94476 Jun 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? No direction.
I believe the cooler temps would be covered in the environment.

And again nowhere in there does it say evolution has no direction.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Science News (Sep '13) 59 min Ricky F 2,942
How would creationists explain... 1 hr Chimney1 300
Genetic entropy 13 hr Discord 159
24 hour dental emergency (Nov '13) 15 hr Wally West 3
An atheistic view on evolution vs. a godly view... 21 hr The Dude 466
What you should know about Tuesday's vote on ev... (Feb '08) Wed IAMIOOWAN 516
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) Wed Brian_G 13,614
More from around the web