Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 197626 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#91007 May 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
No, not everyone. This was obviously a biased poll. Polls are supposed to be unbiased to have any validity.
Perhaps you could link to the poll. You linked to a biased site that supposedly took the poll. Without seeing the poll I cannot really identify the flaws in it.
Put it this way, would you trust a poll proposed and taken by the Democrat party?
You want an unbiased poll? How about this oneand it is also good for a laugh.

According to the Pew Forum ,21% of those citizens claiming to be atheists believe in God or a Higher power. In addition,55% of those claiming to be agnostics also believe in God or a higher power. Finally 66% of those claiming to be secular unaffiliated also believe in God or a higher power.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/54298794/Pew-survey...
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#91008 May 28, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
But tress take in CO2 and put out O2. So how does that contribute to global warming?
I read where a guy wanted to invent a machine to get rid of all the CO2...thinking he could stop global warming.

Well, in the process he would kill all plants and trees, which make O2 oxygen for all the humans and animals, so in essence, everything would die.

Crazy idea!

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

He Is A Sock Know It All

#91009 May 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
Weird, replaytime your post disappeared on me.
No, to say that prayer is banned in school when you mean organized prayer is not a nit picking mistake.
The problem with "prayer in school" was that it was organized prayer. That is at the very heart of why it was made illegal. If you can't see what was wrong with organized prayer in school then you may be hopeless.
Which one disappeared?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#91010 May 28, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
You want an unbiased poll? How about this oneand it is also good for a laugh.
According to the Pew Forum ,21% of those citizens claiming to be atheists believe in God or a Higher power. In addition,55% of those claiming to be agnostics also believe in God or a higher power. Finally 66% of those claiming to be secular unaffiliated also believe in God or a higher power.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/54298794/Pew-survey...
Your link does not back up your claim.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#91011 May 28, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
I read where a guy wanted to invent a machine to get rid of all the CO2...thinking he could stop global warming.
Well, in the process he would kill all plants and trees, which make O2 oxygen for all the humans and animals, so in essence, everything would die.
Crazy idea!
A silly fantasy story for the uneducated.

We need some CO2. Without CO2 we would live on an ice world.

Too much CO2 will raise the temperature too far, and too fast.
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#91012 May 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
And you might want to check out this website:
http://cybercomputing.com/freeinquiry//skepti...
It has links to article after article debunking the Shroud of Turin.

Yet none of your sources examined the shroud. Here are a few that did.

The Authentication of the Turin Shroud:
An Issue in Archaeological Epistemology

by William Meacham - Archaeologist
CURRENT ANTHROPOLOGY - Vol. 24 - N° 3 -(June 1983)
Published by the University of Chicago Press
Copyright 1983 by the Wenner-Gren Foundation for Anthropological Research

"But in an epistemological framework no stricter than that normally operative for judgements of history and science, the image on the Shroud of Turin can, I submit, be confidently ascribed to the body of Christ."

//////////

STURP team member, Dr. Robert Bucklin, chief pathologist of the Los Angeles city morgue, states:

"If I were asked in a court of law to stake my professional reputation on the validity of the shroud of Turin, I would answer very positively & firmly that it is the burial cloth of Christ. It's Jesus whose figure appears on the Shroud. It is not a matter of faith to me, it's just a matter of common sense. Knowing what we know, who else could this have happened to?
//////////

"The Shroud of Turin is a genuine artifact of a first century Roman crucifixion of an adult Jewish male."

The Glyph, the Journal of The Archaeological Institute of America, San Diego, Vol 1, No. 10 (Sept 1997); No. 11 (Dec 1997); No. 12 (March 1998).

//////////

"My tests have convinced me that this Shroud is IN FACT the cloth in which CHRIST'S BODY was wrapped. I have isolated from the Shroud more than a dozen pollen grains from plants that grow only around Jerusalem & its deserts."
Dr. Max Frei of the University of Zurich

Level 9

Everett, WA

#91013 May 28, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Which one disappeared?
Your post where you accused me of being a nit picker. I thought it would have been obvious from my post. Several times I tried to quote it unsuccessfully, it would kick me to the page with the latest 100 threads on this part of topix. Finally it disappeared, only to reappear when I posted my reply.

“Day is Day”

Level 3

Since: May 13

Night is Night

#91014 May 28, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Common sense is a trait humans gained through evolution to protect us from the beasts that pray on us, it tells us that there are monsters in the shadows as a defensive mechanism.
Uhm,,, Sure if you say so it has to be right. So what you are saying that we need to start studying kids so we will know the ones that don't fear monsters and dark are going to be common sense dumb?
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#91015 May 28, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
You basically have two choices. You can make coherent posts backed up with objectively verifiable scientific evidence or treated as just another religious end-timer nut.(shrug)
There is a third choice. I can BS like you often do.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#91016 May 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I said that trees fought global warming. I take it you don't know what a carbon sink is .
You said "using more paper is a good thing global warming wise".

Using more paper means less trees unless I am missing something

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#91017 May 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Your post where you accused me of being a nit picker. I thought it would have been obvious from my post. Several times I tried to quote it unsuccessfully, it would kick me to the page with the latest 100 threads on this part of topix. Finally it disappeared, only to reappear when I posted my reply.
That's weird.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#91018 May 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I said that trees fought global warming. I take it you don't know what a carbon sink is .
A carbon sink something along the line of trees for example. they take in more CO2 than they put release.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#91019 May 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not sure what all can be considered a carbon sink. I think water may be. I could be wrong though.
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#91020 May 28, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
In the meantime fundies in America were more likely to support a genocide-loving invisible Jew responsible for more deaths and abortion than anyone or anything ever, slavery, rape, and shagging their sister, and calling it all "GOOD", all on the say-so of an old book which claims the Earth is flat.
Oh, and massive hypocrisy, let's not forget that.

Yet state atheism remains the Mother of All Murderers on Steroids with about 150 million dead men ,women and children to its credit during the 20th century. The atheist Red Army, true to form raped its way across Europe during WWII. The statue in Berlin to the Russian soldier as been given another name by German women.They call it the tomb of the unknown rapist.

//////////

The Atheistic Red Army in action

THE Red Army's orgy of rape in the dying days of Nazi Germany was conducted on a much greater scale than previously suspected, according to a new book by the military historian Anthony Beevor.

Beevor, the author of the best-selling Stalingrad, says advancing Soviet troops raped large numbers of Russian and Polish women held in concentration camps, as well as millions of Germans.

Alexander Solzhenitsyn, the Nobel laureate who was then a young officer, described the horror in his narrative poem Prussian Nights: "The little daughter's on the mattress,/Dead. How many have been on it? A platoon, a company perhaps?"

How many German women were raped? One can only guess, but a high proportion of at least 15 MILLION women who either lived in the Soviet Union zone or were expelled from the eastern provinces. The scale of rape is suggested by the fact that about two MILLION women had illegal abortions every year between 1945 and 1948.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/eur ...

State atheism is a plague on humanity.
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#91021 May 28, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Isaiah 38:8, "Behold, I will bring again the shadow of the degrees, which is gone down in the sun dial of Ahaz, ten degrees backward. So the sun returned ten degrees, by which degrees it was gone down."
You believe we should trust a book that tells us the sun went backwards in the sky?
Luke 4:5, "And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time."
No matter how high the mountain was one can not see "all" the kingdoms of the world. Perhaps if the earth were flat this might be remotely possible.
And lastly "n" is not a corner. The earth is round and no matter how many times you insist it is flat with corners you will not change the reality of it.
I had a really stupid pew warming woman pull out a map of the world and point to the four corners of the map and say, "there are your four corners!" The Bible says the four corners of the earth not the four corners of a map.
All this shows how warming pews divorces people from reality.

"In some awful, strange, paradoxical way, atheists tend to take religion more seriously than the practitioners."

Jonathon Miller

Level 9

Everett, WA

#91022 May 28, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
You said "using more paper is a good thing global warming wise".
Using more paper means less trees unless I am missing something
Yep, you are missing something.

Actually a couple of things. More paper in the long run means more trees. They don't just cut down trees to make paper these days. And paper is a wood product. Wood products are carbon sinks. Over all, using wood products means lower global warming. If you ignore the transport costs and production costs. With those in their it might tip the other way, but I doubt it.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#91023 May 28, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not sure what all can be considered a carbon sink. I think water may be. I could be wrong though.
Water can be a temporary water sink. Of course with global warming it can become a carbon source.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#91024 May 28, 2013
downhill, I am too tired to deal with the shroud nonsense tonight. Check out the story on carbon dating of the shroud. It pretty much seals the deal that it was a fake.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#91025 May 28, 2013
And downhill, I do apologize. The post you had did support your claim. I did not scroll down enough.

Of course to me that shows it was a poorly taken poll in some aspects. The latest poll on religion and atheism shows similar numbers for "Christians" that did not believe in god.

http://www.wingia.com/web/files/news/14/file/...

Level 9

Everett, WA

#91026 May 28, 2013
Getting very tired. Downhill, the poll you linked did support your claim. Sorry again, I wrote "post" in my previous post.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 18 min Uncle Sam 13,421
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 hr ChristineM 31,433
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 7 hr ChromiuMan 151,061
This is how christians fumble up the evolution ... Mon zxx838557 1
Rome Viharo debunks evolution Sun Paul Porter1 2
Evolution in action May 27 MIDutch 1
News RANT: Is "global warming" today's version of th... May 25 bearings 2
More from around the web