Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 218799 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#90814 May 28, 2013
OOOOObama wrote:
What are your opinions on the Shroud of Turin? Have any of you researched into it, honestly? On Wikipedia, in the "Recent developments" section of the Shroud of Turin article, even some agnostics believe that the Shroud is genuine. If it's genuine, how could the face and EVERYTHING be so perfect, short of a miracle? This would be impossible to deny. You would HAVE to believe in Jesus! If such a miracle as this is possible, then so would be the other miracles, such as the Resurrection. After all, this isn't just Jesus' blood randomly splattered on a linen cloth, rather, it actually forms a FACE -- the face of Jesus Christ Himself. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shroud_of_Turin
I believe the shroud formed the silouette of Jesus thru the action of Him rising from the dead.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#90815 May 28, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the shroud formed the silouette of Jesus thru the action of Him rising from the dead.
LOL! You'd believe the Earth is made of guacamole and knockwurst if you read it in the Book you worship.

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#90816 May 28, 2013
OOOOObama wrote:
What are your opinions on the Shroud of Turin? Have any of you researched into it, honestly? On Wikipedia, in the "Recent developments" section of the Shroud of Turin article, even some agnostics believe that the Shroud is genuine. If it's genuine, how could the face and EVERYTHING be so perfect, short of a miracle? This would be impossible to deny. You would HAVE to believe in Jesus! If such a miracle as this is possible, then so would be the other miracles, such as the Resurrection. After all, this isn't just Jesus' blood randomly splattered on a linen cloth, rather, it actually forms a FACE -- the face of Jesus Christ Himself. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shroud_of_Turin
imagine2011 wrote:
Most evidence shows the Shroud to be a fraud. None shows it to be a burial cloth of Jesus.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#90817 May 28, 2013
replaytime wrote:
Yes back in biblical times people became slaves to survive. I don't know why people find that hard to believe for in a way it is still happening today.
Take your job for example, who ever you work for halfway control your life for you are doing the work for someone else and surviving off of what benefits(pay)you get from that by being able to get food, housing ect. Just like the people in the biblical days did it to get food, housing ect. It is like modern day slavery.
The closest thing in modern times we have to slavery is marriage, ironically. But that is still nothing compared to what slavery back then was. Even if it was all flowers and doves like you dishonestly try to paint it, you are still justifying owning another human being as property.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#90818 May 28, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, rivers can't flow up hill.
Never could and there for the Colorado river never made that canyon.
Look it up dolt!
Oh great, you do realize that Mr. Hovind, the stark raving lunatic, who's father is in jail for tax fraud, is not a scientist right? He also got the direction of the river backwards and misrepresented the facts quite erroneously in that video. In short, he conned you, for some money and fame, he tricked you out of your money and adoration.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#90819 May 28, 2013
OOOOObama wrote:
It was a fraud, case closed.
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#90820 May 28, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> So thank you for pointing out , there is no known ancient Hebrew pointing out the fact.

There is no known ancient Hebrew claiming the world is flat.
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#90821 May 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
The Hebrews were not well know for being sailors. Some of them were fishermen, that does not make them sailors.
Due to the influence of the Greeks the fact that the world is a sphere was fairly well known after Jesus died. Many translations were affected by the proper knowledge of the shape of the Earth. How do you think Genesis might have been translated if they knew the truth about evolution?
I don't believe Genesis was intended for the critique of biologists so it really doesn't matter.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#90822 May 28, 2013
OOOOObama wrote:
What are your opinions on the Shroud of Turin? Have any of you researched into it, honestly? On Wikipedia, in the "Recent developments" section of the Shroud of Turin article, even some agnostics believe that the Shroud is genuine. If it's genuine, how could the face and EVERYTHING be so perfect, short of a miracle? This would be impossible to deny. You would HAVE to believe in Jesus! If such a miracle as this is possible, then so would be the other miracles, such as the Resurrection. After all, this isn't just Jesus' blood randomly splattered on a linen cloth, rather, it actually forms a FACE -- the face of Jesus Christ Himself.
No it ain't. It's quite obviously Harry Shearer from Spinal Tap.
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#90823 May 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
What, you don't like the fact that I do not accept lies?
I am not a Christian. Lying goes against my personal philosophy. Too many Christians seem to have no problem lying for Jesus.
Do you have a link proving too many Christians seem to have no problem lying for Jesus? Without a link one could surmise that it is your default argument when your actual argument flounders in the face of facts. You say lying goes against your personal philosophy but supply no link proving that lying goes against your personal philosophy. Heck you could be Pinocchio posting on Topix. LOL.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#90824 May 28, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
You should read your Bible.

Not only ancient Hebrew, there are at least two claims in the New Testament too.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#90825 May 28, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe Genesis was intended for the critique of biologists so it really doesn't matter.
Yes, fairy tales usually are not meant to be criticized in general. They are just good stories, or bad stories.

“praying for you!”

Level 1

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#90826 May 28, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Irrelevant even if he was. Evolution makes no racist claims, and doesn't view any race to be "more evolved" than another. Though that's not to say that some in the past have not misconstrued evolution (be it deliberately or non-deliberately) for a racist agenda.
Darwin however, while not perfect was a product of his time:
Darwin on race
"By the way, a negro lived in Edinburgh, who had travelled with Waterton and gained his livelihood by stuffing birds, which he did excellently; he gave me lessons for payment, and I used often to sit with him, for he was a very pleasant and intelligent man."
"Great God how I should like to see the greatest curse on Earth Slavery abolished."
"For instance, early in the voyage at Bahia in Brazil he defended and praised slavery, which I abominated, and told me that he had just visited a great slave-owner, who had called up many of his slaves and asked them whether they were happy, and whether they wished to be free, and all answered “No.” I then asked him, perhaps with a sneer, whether he thought that the answers of slaves in the presence of their master was worth anything. This made him excessively angry, and he said that as I doubted his word, we could not live any longer together."
"The Indians are now so terrified that they offer no resistance in a body, but each flies, neglecting even his wife and children; but when overtaken, like wild animals, they fight against any number to the last moment….Every one here is fully convinced that this is the most just war, because it is against barbarians. Who would believe in this age that such atrocities could be committed in a Christian civilized country?"
"This posta was commanded by a negro lieutenant, born in Africa: to his credit be it said, there was not a ranche between the Colorado and Buenos Ayres in nearly such neat order as his….I did not anywhere meet a more civil and obliging man than this negro; it was therefore the more painful to see that he would not sit down and eat with us."
"I was pleased with nothing so much as with the inhabitants. There is a mildness in the expression of their countenances which at once banishes the idea of a savage; and intelligence which shows that they are advancing in civilization….It has been remarked, that it requires little habit to make a dark skin more pleasing and natural to the eye of an European than his own colour. A white man bathing by the side of a Tahitian, was like a plant bleached by the gardener’s art compared with a fine dark green one growing vigorously in the open fields."
(credit to PT)
Of course none of this is relevant to the scientific validity of evolution.
a fish has always been a fish
an ant has always been an ant.
a bird has always been a bird.

humans have always been humans.
the complexed INTELLIGENT DESIGN within a single cell confirms creation.
you can't have specific DESIGN without a designer.

simple as falling off a log.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#90827 May 28, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
That may be because all you've got of the original Bible is a scrap of cloth big enough to fit in the palm of your hand. But as it turns out you couldn't read ancient Hebrew even if you had the whole thing.

So all we have are a bunch of translations followed by a bunch of retranslations (and so on and so forth) which eventually leads you to the (stilted) English version you have today. And that tells us unequivocally that the Earth is a flat square circle which rests fixed and unmoving on foundations while hanging on nothing at the center of a geocentric universe which revolves around it - contrary to all scientific evidence. Many fundies today tell us that the Bible is "literally" true, except when it's not, and that this is one of those times. Meaning they are second-guessing the guy who translated it, who in turn second-guessed the guy who tranlsated it before them, and so on and so forth. One could imagine going back in a time machine to the original author who would be quite appalled at the 3,000 years of revisionism which happened and still happens today, that he may say "HELL NO mofo, when I said the Earth was flat I MEANT the Earth is flat! You got that, boy?!?"

Regardless, the Earth isn't flat, Adam and Eve were mythical, lizards and donkeys DON'T talk, and there never was a global flood during humanity's reign.

Whether or not an invisible magic Jew really WAS responsible for the entire universe has yet to be determined.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#90828 May 28, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, you have no idea how right you are...
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#90829 May 28, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
The four books of the Gospels are known to be written by anonymous authors. These authors were NOT eyewitnesses to what they wrote about and yet they were placed in the Bible.
One New Testament scholar has said that we may not even have the real words of Jesus because of this. What was eventually placed in the Bible had more to do with politics than anything else.
Only in the sense that the author's names aren't clarified in the gospels,

"Second-century testimony is unanimous in attributing the four Gospels to the persons that now carry their name. This suggests that they received their titles early; for if they had not, there would have been a great deal of speculation as to who had written them - "a variation of titles would have inevitably risen," as had happened with the apocryphal gospels.[Thie.EvJ, 15]; see also [Heng.Mark, 82] It is rather harder to believe that the Gospels circulated anonymously for 60 or more years and then someone finally thought to put authors on them -- and managed to get the whole church across the Roman Empire to agree!
http://tektonics.org/ntdocdef/gospdefhub.html

There is not one different author suggested anywhere in church history for any of the gospels. Not one. It’s only recent modern “scholars” that claim the authorship of the gospels is in dispute. The early church always knew who wrote them. An example- Compare the gospels to the book of Hebrews which is anonymous. While the gospels have only one author per book, Hebrews has no less then half a dozen different traditional authors because apparently it was really anonymous and no one knew who wrote it.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#90830 May 28, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have a link proving too many Christians seem to have no problem lying for Jesus?
No problem. We could easy link to the DI, AIG, ICR, TIS, Ray Comfort, Kent Hovind, Ted Haggard, Walt Brown, oh, and right here on Topix dot net - there's a shedload of dishonest creationist YEC fundie liars for Jesus around here.(shrug)

Level 9

Everett, WA

#90831 May 28, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
No problem. We could easy link to the DI, AIG, ICR, TIS, Ray Comfort, Kent Hovind, Ted Haggard, Walt Brown, oh, and right here on Topix dot net - there's a shedload of dishonest creationist YEC fundie liars for Jesus around here.(shrug)
Correction, in this case the proper term is "shitload".
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#90832 May 28, 2013
MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Most evidence shows the Shroud to be a fraud. None shows it to be a burial cloth of Jesus.
"But among the rest, there was also another of the minsters, which was called the Church of my Lady Saint Mary of Blachernae, within which was the shroud wherein Our Lord was wrapped. And on every Friday that shroud did raise itself upright, so that the form of Our Lord could clearly be seen. And none knows - neither Greek nor Frank - what became of that shroud when the city was taken".

Robert de Clari's account of the Fourth Crusade, Chapter 91 La conquête de Constantinople

Eyewitness account of the sacking of Constantinople by a Crusader knight.(1204 AD)

downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#90833 May 28, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Heck you could do the same with atheists and their population numbers are much less than Christians so "too many" is a relative figure, is it not?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 45 min Richardfs 52,087
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 5 hr Richardfs 157,668
can anyone explain to me why humans are the onl... (Mar '08) 5 hr Aura Mytha 1,158
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 6 hr Eagle 12 24,841
Can the universe be God's brain? (Jun '07) Jan 19 scientia potentia... 98
News Darwin's Doubt: Giving a Case for Intelligent D... Jan 19 scientia potentia... 1
The Fossil Record Does Not Support The Theory O... Jan 18 scientia potentia... 48
More from around the web