Evolution vs. Creation

There are 20 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“If It Is Possible”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

It Will Likely Happen

#90696 May 27, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
What you have done Replaytimes is add words to the text to make it same what you want it to say. This is just another of your dog and pony shows. And it proves Christians are devious, dishonest and deceitful.
You don't even care that the BibleGod is going to remove your name from the book of life because of what you just did here. Amazing. It is Christians like you that give all of humanity a bad name.
Not added, just repeated what it says when you research it. But being you come from a monkey I would not expect you to understand.

http://biblehub.com/matthew/26-11.htm

“Don't be mad at me.”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

I'm just a little bunny.

#90697 May 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
So in other words you have nothing.
Hey SZ, I have been reading "The rocks don't lie" and I must say I am developing a renewed appreciation for the work you geologists have done over the last several hundred years. The book not only gives a very good history of modern geology and evidence refuting a global flood, but is a nice review of the development of modern fundamentalism in the United States.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#90698 May 27, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I can. This world and the things God made, are testiment to His existence. You can try and twist your words or fake science, but it's obvious to everyone who walks this earth that there had to be a designer, period. Even children have enough sense to know this, even if they've never gone to church, in their entire lives. It is a given.
“For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth.
*****For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.
*****For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened.
*******Claiming to be wise, they became fools …
Until you show some sort of evidence that there is a reason to believe the Bible it has not application in this debate.

You have yet to give any evidence that this world, or any other was made by any gods and not by natural processes. We can observed natural processes every day. We have yet to observe god.
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#90699 May 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I will answer you foolish questions for you if that is what you really want.
The best answer is: So what? Those claims apply to each and every religion out there. There are probably even some atheists out there who realized that living a life of partying will not bring you ultimate happiness. We call that "growing up".
Some people are rather childish and cannot grow up without an invisible friend. An event that can be applied to all religions cannot be used as evidence for your religion. It is much more likely that social pressures to act right have finally gotten through to someone. If he needs a crutch to help him along I will not kick it out from under him. It is still a crutch, nothing more.
And please, don't tell me that I give nasty remarks when you are just as bad if not worse. Frank said as long as atheists are good we can go to heaven too. For you that is not good enough. If we don't believe like you do you believe that we deserve to be tortured forever.
Who is the sick one now?
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Frank said as long as atheists are good we can go to heaven too. For you that is not good enough. If we don't believe like you do you believe that we deserve to be tortured forever.
Who is the sick one now?
The only reason I would tell you truth about needing faith in the savior Jesus Christ and being born again, is because I want you to know everything, not just part of it.

If I wanted unbelievers to be tortured forever, I wouldn't even bother to tell them about salvation, that doesn't make much sense.

You still didn't honestly answer my questions. You just said "so what" and named off what your unbelieving friends do.

That's not what I asked you about.

“Don't be mad at me.”

Level 9

I'm just a little bunny.

#90700 May 27, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh you must mean where as evolutionist take out of context in their own words that it says the earth is flat. It does not say that but that is what you all read. Four corners of the earth, hmmmm maybe N, S, E, and W?
It isn't limited to evolutionists. Others have gotten the inference that the earth is flat and square that is implied in the Bible. Your answer would have to be backed up by evidence indicating that they used those directions and further that direction was indicated rather than actual corners defining an area. I see nothing to indicate that direction was indicated in the passages in question. A very weak defense.

“If It Is Possible”

Level 5

It Will Likely Happen

#90701 May 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
No, in context the Bible says that the Earth is flat.
To get it to say that the Earth is a sphere you have to take it out of context.
Isaiah 40:22 (NIV)- 22 He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in.

Origin of SPHERE - Middle English spere globe, celestial sphere, from Anglo-French espere, from Latin sphaera, from Greek sphaira, literally, ball; perhaps akin to Greek spairein to quiver — more at spurn
First Known Use: 14th century - That was after the bibles was written.

Now I have shown you where in the Bible it says Earth is a "circle"

Your turn to show me where it says in the bible that the Earth is "flat".

“Don't be mad at me.”

Level 9

I'm just a little bunny.

#90702 May 27, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I can. This world and the things God made, are testiment to His existence. You can try and twist your words or fake science, but it's obvious to everyone who walks this earth that there had to be a designer, period. Even children have enough sense to know this, even if they've never gone to church, in their entire lives. It is a given.
“For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth.
*****For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.
*****For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened.
*******Claiming to be wise, they became fools …
It is not obvious. You just say it is. If it is obvious then there would be signs that it was so and there simply are no signs. Just saying it does not make it so.

You do no honor to anyone by allowing ignorance and stubbornness to blind you and lay a foundation for lies. Science only seeks to understand the world around us. That is all. Just because you don't like what science finds does not make it wrong. Perhaps it is you that has misinterpreted things and been led astray.
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#90703 May 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
So in other words you have nothing.
God says He was here before creation and will be here after its destroyed. He says He is the beginning and end, alpha and omega, 1st and last. He calls Himself "I Am that I Am".

He doesn't tell us if He was created Himself. He calls Himself "The Creator", so my interpretation is that He was always here.

Who have YOU created out of dirt?

“Don't be mad at me.”

Level 9

I'm just a little bunny.

#90704 May 27, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
The only reason I would tell you truth about needing faith in the savior Jesus Christ and being born again, is because I want you to know everything, not just part of it.
If I wanted unbelievers to be tortured forever, I wouldn't even bother to tell them about salvation, that doesn't make much sense.
You still didn't honestly answer my questions. You just said "so what" and named off what your unbelieving friends do.
That's not what I asked you about.
You know this is a forum about the discussion of the science of evolution. If you want to preach or discuss religion, there are forums for that elsewhere.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#90705 May 27, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Hey SZ, I have been reading "The rocks don't lie" and I must say I am developing a renewed appreciation for the work you geologists have done over the last several hundred years. The book not only gives a very good history of modern geology and evidence refuting a global flood, but is a nice review of the development of modern fundamentalism in the United States.

It's more like a rejectionist movement.

“If It Is Possible”

Level 5

It Will Likely Happen

#90706 May 27, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>It isn't limited to evolutionists. Others have gotten the inference that the earth is flat and square that is implied in the Bible. Your answer would have to be backed up by evidence indicating that they used those directions and further that direction was indicated rather than actual corners defining an area. I see nothing to indicate that direction was indicated in the passages in question. A very weak defense.
maybe N, S, E, and W? is what I said, so it could have been. If it is such a weak defense as you say. Then you should easily prove it wrong. You have no more proof of it being wrong as I do for it being right.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#90707 May 27, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
God says He was here before creation and will be here after its destroyed. He says He is the beginning and end, alpha and omega, 1st and last. He calls Himself "I Am that I Am".
He doesn't tell us if He was created Himself. He calls Himself "The Creator", so my interpretation is that He was always here.
Who have YOU created out of dirt?
No, he does not say that.

You are conflating a book written by a group of bronze age sheep shaggers with god. You better hope that your god has a sense of humor or you could get zapped by him for the blasphemy that you just posted.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#90708 May 27, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Isaiah 40:22 (NIV)- 22 He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in.
Origin of SPHERE - Middle English spere globe, celestial sphere, from Anglo-French espere, from Latin sphaera, from Greek sphaira, literally, ball; perhaps akin to Greek spairein to quiver — more at spurn
They thought it was a round disk , with a bowl shaped sky.
The land supported by pillars.

It's flat earth terms dunce hat.

http://www.ufunk.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/...

“If It Is Possible”

Level 5

It Will Likely Happen

#90709 May 27, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>You know this is a forum about the discussion of the science of evolution. If you want to preach or discuss religion, there are forums for that elsewhere.
I could have swore that the name of the thread was "Evolution vs. Creation" but maybe I read it wrong. lol

Level 9

Everett, WA

#90710 May 27, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you just proved that in context the Bible describes a flat Earth.

The ancient Jews had a word that could be used for sphere, go the thesaurus you love and you will probably find the English translation of that word there:

http://thesaurus.com/browse/sphere

They never used that word for the Earth, though it was used in the Bible.

It makes no sense to pitch a "tent" over a sphere. It does make sense to have a "tent" over a flat circle.

That is not the only time in the Bible that it describes a flat Earth in context. There are others too. Do you think you can find them?
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#90711 May 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I will answer you foolish questions for you if that is what you really want.
The best answer is: So what? Those claims apply to each and every religion out there. There are probably even some atheists out there who realized that living a life of partying will not bring you ultimate happiness. We call that "growing up".
Some people are rather childish and cannot grow up without an invisible friend. An event that can be applied to all religions cannot be used as evidence for your religion. It is much more likely that social pressures to act right have finally gotten through to someone. If he needs a crutch to help him along I will not kick it out from under him. It is still a crutch, nothing more.
And please, don't tell me that I give nasty remarks when you are just as bad if not worse. Frank said as long as atheists are good we can go to heaven too. For you that is not good enough. If we don't believe like you do you believe that we deserve to be tortured forever.
Who is the sick one now?
No, the Pope Didn't Just Say All Atheists Go to Heaven

Instead, he was emphasizing the openness of the Catholic Church, which is perhaps even more important.

"The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone!'Father, the atheists?' Even the atheists. Everyone! And this Blood makes us children of God of the first class! We are created children in the likeness of God and the Blood of Christ has redeemed us all! And we all have a duty to do good. And this commandment for everyone to do good, I think, is a beautiful path towards peace. If we, each doing our own part, if we do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter: we need that so much. We must meet one another doing good.'But I don't believe, Father, I am an atheist!' But do good: we will meet one another there."

Some have reacted to this as a doctrine articulating the salvation of atheists. Having read all reported versions of Francis' homily, in both English and Italian, I do not find an explicit statement that an atheist who does that which is good, il bene in Italian, will be saved.

However, Francis does emphasize the universality of Christ's redemptive power, and it is through that redemptive power that salvation becomes possible.(which means belief in God) He is clearly open to the idea that Christ may well redeem even those who are non-believers. More fully articulated, that would open up a new wager, in which whether or not one believed, one's actions in the world would determine one's access to paradise. Even the hint of such an idea from man whose spiritual power stems from being the heir to St. Peter, holder of the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven, is striking. Still, that God might save those who neither believe nor participate in the sacraments is not a new idea. In the Catechism of the Catholic Church, one finds the statement, "God has bound salvation to the sacrament of Baptism, but he himself is not bound by his sacraments." If God wants to save someone, they will be saved.

“If It Is Possible”

Level 5

It Will Likely Happen

#90712 May 27, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
They thought it was a round disk , with a bowl shaped sky.
The land supported by pillars.
It's flat earth terms dunce hat.
http://www.ufunk.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/...
Again I have shown you a Bible vs that states the Earth is a circle. Can you just show me one Bible vs where it says the Earth is flat?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#90713 May 27, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
I could have swore that the name of the thread was "Evolution vs. Creation" but maybe I read it wrong. lol
Yes, but creationists will sometimes try to use the Bible as evidence. This sort of thing happens all of the time when the many flaws in the Bible are pointed out to them.

“Don't be mad at me.”

Level 9

I'm just a little bunny.

#90714 May 27, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
I could have sworn that you were banned once for threatening violence on others. Yes I was right, you were.

It is as you state, but that doesn't mean it is open for proselytizing when other forums are available for that. It does mean that we are to be discussing arguments and not wading through long tired explanations of wanna be martyrs.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#90715 May 27, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, the Pope Didn't Just Say All Atheists Go to Heaven
Instead, he was emphasizing the openness of the Catholic Church, which is perhaps even more important.
"The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone!'Father, the atheists?' Even the atheists. Everyone! And this Blood makes us children of God of the first class! We are created children in the likeness of God and the Blood of Christ has redeemed us all! And we all have a duty to do good. And this commandment for everyone to do good, I think, is a beautiful path towards peace. If we, each doing our own part, if we do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter: we need that so much. We must meet one another doing good.'But I don't believe, Father, I am an atheist!' But do good: we will meet one another there."
Some have reacted to this as a doctrine articulating the salvation of atheists. Having read all reported versions of Francis' homily, in both English and Italian, I do not find an explicit statement that an atheist who does that which is good, il bene in Italian, will be saved.
However, Francis does emphasize the universality of Christ's redemptive power, and it is through that redemptive power that salvation becomes possible.(which means belief in God) He is clearly open to the idea that Christ may well redeem even those who are non-believers. More fully articulated, that would open up a new wager, in which whether or not one believed, one's actions in the world would determine one's access to paradise. Even the hint of such an idea from man whose spiritual power stems from being the heir to St. Peter, holder of the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven, is striking. Still, that God might save those who neither believe nor participate in the sacraments is not a new idea. In the Catechism of the Catholic Church, one finds the statement, "God has bound salvation to the sacrament of Baptism, but he himself is not bound by his sacraments." If God wants to save someone, they will be saved.
Hey! Pay attention. I did not say "all atheists" I said atheists can go to heaven. Big difference. We just have to do good. Yes, I am sure there are some evil atheists out there. Just as there are evil Christians, Muslims, Jews, what have you out there.

Frank did not say anything about us having to believe in god, that is your lie that you are trying to insert into the discussion.

Frankly when it comes to heaven, I will go with Frank.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Darwin on the rocks (Sep '14) 47 min kenedy njoroge 1,678
No Place For ID? 1 hr In Six Days 80
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 hr Chimney1 18,851
Why Are There No Transitional Animals Today? (Mar '09) 8 hr yoo 895
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) Sun Paul Porter1 13,692
News Should evolution be taught in high school? (Feb '08) Sun Kong_ 178,596
The Definition of a Creationist Scientist Sun Zog Has-fallen 3
More from around the web