Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 221445 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Level 3

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#90165 May 22, 2013
Tyler Armstrong wrote:
<quoted text>
You should really believe in a God because he has power to save. Also he's the one that made everything in his own image.
A compelling argument.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#90166 May 22, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I don't tell anyone there is no god. I just don't believe in one. That you seem to think that evolution is incompatible with the notion of god is the fault of evangelicals, not scientists. No scientist goes around saying "evolution disproves god." It's the religious nutjobs who go around saying "evolution can't possibly be true... because god!"
There are many professed scientists who go around saying that evolution disproves God.
For example, William B Provine, Ph.D., a renowned historian of science and professor at Cornell University, wrote...
"Naturalistic evolution has clear consequences that Charles Darwin understood perfectly. 1) No gods worth having exist; 2) no life after death exists; 3) no ultimate foundation for ethics exists; 4) no ultimate meaning in life exists; and 5) human free will is nonexistent."*

*(Provine W.B., "Evolution: Free will and punishment and meaning in life." Abstract of Prof. William B. Provine's 1998 "Darwin Day address, "Darwin Day" website, University of Tennessee Knoxville TN, 1998).

You are guzzling evo-koolaid. The disclaimer that God is compatible with Darwinism is made oly for purposes of political correctness.
buckwheat

Tulsa, OK

#90167 May 22, 2013
Tyler Armstrong wrote:
<quoted text>I'm a huge follower of Christ
I'm sad for you. Maybe, someday, you can break loose of that childhood brainwashing that we all went through as children.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#90168 May 22, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Why not take a count of the number of cells and parts that were created so that you can live and breath.
You make the expected and mundane fundamental(ist) error in stressing the word "created." It is a word that you cannot shake from your daily lexicon and a telling limitation.
Following your lead to its logical conclusion, don't you know that biology is meddling with the mysteries of God, hospitals are the houses of Satan and medicines are demonic potions? If it's God's Will for you to suffer a headache, who are YOU to supplant His Will with an asprin?

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#90169 May 22, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
There are many professed scientists who go around saying that evolution disproves God.

For example, William B Provine, Ph.D., a renowned historian of science and professor at Cornell University, wrote...

"Naturalistic evolution has clear consequences that Charles Darwin understood perfectly. 1) No gods worth having exist; 2) no life after death exists; 3) no ultimate foundation for ethics exists; 4) no ultimate meaning in life exists; and 5) human free will is nonexistent."*

*(Provine W.B., "Evolution: Free will and punishment and meaning in life." Abstract of Prof. William B. Provine's 1998 "Darwin Day address, "Darwin Day" website, University of Tennessee Knoxville TN, 1998).
Which is nothing but his (their) opinion(s).
Provine's (or other similarly-minded) PERSONAL OPINIONS are just that. Opinion. Worth only the weight you might endow it with.

Certianly not proof of a pattern of thought amongst all scientists.
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>You are guzzling evo-koolaid. The disclaimer that God is compatible with Darwinism is made oly for purposes of political correctness.
Which is nothing but YOUR opinion.
Your PERSONAL OPINIONS are just that. Opinion. Worth only the weight anyone might endow it with.

Certainly not proof of a pattern of thought amonst all Christians.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#90170 May 22, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Which is nothing but his (their) opinion(s).
Provine's (or other similarly-minded) PERSONAL OPINIONS are just that. Opinion. Worth only the weight you might endow it with.
Certianly not proof of a pattern of thought amongst all scientists.
<quoted text>
Which is nothing but YOUR opinion.
Your PERSONAL OPINIONS are just that. Opinion. Worth only the weight anyone might endow it with.
Certainly not proof of a pattern of thought amonst all Christians.
I was merely refuting the statement, "No scientist goes around saying "evolution disproves god."
That is clearly not the case.

Level 3

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#90171 May 22, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You are guzzling evo-koolaid. The disclaimer that God is compatible with Darwinism is made oly for purposes of political correctness.
He is in the minority.

And if it's not compatible, then your religion is automatically disqualified from consideration. I don't care about being politically correct - in fact, I'm happy for you to take yourself out of the running. The evidence for evolution is so clear and so compelling that, if set up as diametrically opposed to religion, it's no contest.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#90172 May 22, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>He is in the minority.
And if it's not compatible, then your religion is automatically disqualified from consideration. I don't care about being politically correct - in fact, I'm happy for you to take yourself out of the running. The evidence for evolution is so clear and so compelling that, if set up as diametrically opposed to religion, it's no contest.
You have no concept of science to make such an asinine statement. It is "clear and compelling" that all proposed mechanisms of evolution are biologically impossible.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#90173 May 22, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Psalm 2:12 "Kiss the Son lest he be angry and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little"
So you are a christian terrorist. Great, you admitted it on an open forum for the world to see, now the FBI can track you and arrest you. Gitmo is still open.

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#90174 May 22, 2013
Tyler Armstrong wrote:
<quoted text> I agree very strongly with your statment. I'm a huge follower of Christ
You should try the Adkins diet.

Obviously not a huge follower of reality though.

Odd, another grey box poster from Englewood, CO with the same level of intelligence and the same misguided understanding of Christianity.

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#90175 May 22, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no concept of science to make such an asinine statement. It is "clear and compelling" that all proposed mechanisms of evolution are biologically impossible.
What proposed mechanisms of evolution are biologically impossible? You are all over the place.

When you are confronted with reality, do you always turn to this frantic, irrational means of dealing with it?

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#90176 May 22, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>What proposed mechanisms of evolution are biologically impossible? You are all over the place.
When you are confronted with reality, do you always turn to this frantic, irrational means of dealing with it?
That's what his mental disorder does.

The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#90177 May 22, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>I would say that by Christ shedding every drop of his blood on our behalf is quite the sacrifice.
I wouldn't. Didn't affect him one bit. Lives up in heaven, right? The incarnation of God Himself in the form of His Son, right? He's just dandy. Remember Jesus is the Arquillian Ambassador in Men In Black. His body is merely a robot shell. The only "sacrifice" was God's demand for blood.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#90178 May 22, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
I was seriously asking you,
What research have you seen or done, first hand, that would prove the Bible to be false?
Been high up enough to see the curvature of the Earth. And I ain't talking circle.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#90179 May 22, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>You need to read Chapter 3 notes on the wine in B.W. Johnson's Commentary on John where it explains the wines of those days. That is just one work that covers the topic.
Yes, because apologists make GREAT scholars!

When he HAS evidence of talking lizards and donkeys let me know.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#90180 May 22, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Human life at the time of Noah was confined to the middle east and fertile crescent. The purpose of the flood was to kill mankind and it was a vast but localized flood. Only the animals indigenous to that part of the world were included on the ark.
I can live with that. It still renders the flood irrelevant.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#90181 May 22, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, there is more.
You will be shocked, changed forever, and you will regret that it took you so long to finally realize it's true....and you will realize it one day, whether it be during life on earth or when it's too late, one.
You will be shocked, shocked to find out that God is nothing at all like you expected, and doesn't really wanna spend eternity with humans at all. And you'll end up six feet under believing you're an atheist.(shrug)

Quite ironic wouldn't you say?
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#90182 May 22, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>The New Earth WILL abide forever.
(ahem)

Um, excuse me Mikey, but only The Dude abides forever.

Abide with me.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#90183 May 22, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
God made everything. God only allows satan to use evil spirits or God may protect a person or nation from satans evil spirits or 'demons'(same thing) if they obey Him.
Yes, it does certainly appear to be a mutual relationship.
imagine2011 wrote:
At least now someone on this thread is starting to admit there truly are invisible spirits in this physical world.
Invisible? Nah. Transparent? ABSOLUTELY!

http://www.drinksupermarket.com/media/catalog...
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#90184 May 22, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
FYI: Susan's beliefs differ greatly from most Christian beliefs.
By golly Holmes! Astounding!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 min Aura Mytha 69,865
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 5 min yehoshooah adam 3,776
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 1 hr Subduction Zone 161,435
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr Into The Night 30,080
News Defending the Faith: Intelligent design vs. 'Go... 4 hr Subduction Zone 1,969
Is Creationism and Intelligent Design debunked ... 6 hr Subduction Zone 90
Where was the cradle of life located? 7 hr Subduction Zone 9
More from around the web