Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Comments (Page 4,044)

Showing posts 80,861 - 80,880 of105,858
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Elohim wrote:
<quoted text>Please share it. We are all on pins and needles.
I can believe the needles part.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Elohim wrote:
<quoted text>I do indeed know the fable of Christ.
Then you don't know him. Like I said
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Elohim wrote:
<quoted text>Cool! I enjoy laughing at fundies.
"<<<<<< <<<<<<< <<<<<<< <<<<<<< <<

This article is about scientific estimates of the age of the universe.

The age of the universe is defined inphysical cosmology as the time elapsed since the Big Bang. The best estimate of the age of the universe, as of 22 March 2013, is 13.798 ± 0.037 billion years (4.351 ± 0.017 × 1017 seconds) within the Lambda-CDM concordance model. The uncertainty of 37 million years has been obtained by the agreement of a number of scientific research projects, such as microwave background radiation measurements by the Planck satellite, the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe and other probes. Measurements of the cosmic background radiation give the cooling timeof the universe since the Big Bang, and measurements of the expansion rate of the universe can be used to calculate its approximate age by extrapolating backwards in time.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_the_uni...

Hubble Time

The inverse of the Hubble constant H has the units of time because the Hubble law is
v = H d
where v is the velocity of recession, H is the Hubble constant, and d is the distance. Thus, from this equation, we have that 1/H = d/v. but d/v is distance divided by velocity, which is time (e.g., if I travel 180 miles at 60 miles/hour, the time required is t = d/v = 180/60 = 3 hours).

Thus, the Hubble time T is just the inverse of the Hubble Constant:

T = 1 / H
Taking a value of H = 20 km/s/Mly (where Mly means mega-light years),

where all the factors are necessary to convert the time units to years and I've rounded some numbers to simplify the display.

The physical interpretation of the Hubble time is that it gives the time for the Universe to run backwards to the Big Bang if the expansion rate (the Hubble "constant") were constant. Thus, it is a measure of the age of the Universe. The Hubble "constant" actually isn't constant, so the Hubble time is really only a rough estimate of the age of the Universe.

Reasonable assumptions for the value of the Hubble constant and the geometry of the Universe typically yield ages of 10-20 billion years for the age of the Universe. For example, H near 50 km/s/Mpc gives a larger value for the age of the Universe (around 16 thousand million years), while a larger value of 80 km/s/Mpc gives a lower value for the age (around 10 thousand million years). Therefore, we shall take this information, and additional information from other methods to estimate the age of the Universe that we have not discussed, to indicate an age of approximately 15 billion years for the Universe.

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr162/lect/cosmo...

April 24, 2002 — The Hubble Space Telescope has read the embers of burnt-out stars to come up with a new way of estimating the universe’s age, scientists said Wednesday. The latest age estimate — 13 billion to 14 billion years — is consistent with the conclusions reached using other methods.

Past observations of faraway celestial objects known as Cepheid variable stars have yielded estimates of 12 billion to 15 billion years for the universe’s age. But those observations depended on assumptions related to how the universe has expanded over those billions of years.

Another method, used by the European Southern Observatory, depended on estimating the rate of radioactive decay within old stars. The European researchers came up with a figure of more than 12.5 billion years.

University of Chicago astrophysicist Michael Turner, commenting on the latest research, said that further studies were essential because the question of the universe’s age is so fundamental to our understanding of the cosmos.

“What’s exciting is, we’re now making enough measurements that we can do these critical tests for age consistency,” he toldMSNBC.com ."

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3077812/

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, let's back up then... Do you believe in God/Yawhew?
I seen he haw before?
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>“Christ is supposed to have been a Jew, and his disciples are said to have been Jewish fishermen. His language, and the language of his followers must, therefore, have been Aramaic—the popular language of Palestine in that age. But the Gospels are written in Greek—every one of them. Nor were they translated from some other language.

Every leading Christian scholar since Erasmus, four hundred years ago, has maintained that they were originally written in Greek. This proves that they were not written by Christ's disciples, or by any of the early Christians. Foreign Gospels, written by unknown men, in a foreign tongue, several generations after the death of those who are supposed to have known the facts &#9658;such is the evidence relied upon to prove that Jesus lived.” &#9668;

http://www.infidels.org/library/historical/ma...

My emphasis arrows
They are still looking for the first edition.
It might not have survived.

Sorry you never thought of that.

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Level 5

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>the one of the bible? not a matter of believing, it is a proven myth.
God? Do tell, why do you think God is a myth?
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>Oh really? Reference, please.
Medical Science
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>Stupid.
Yes I can see that!

Well just an FYI. I am smart.

:)
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>You're absolutely right.
Thank you.

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Level 5

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I seen he haw before?
Good boy! Now here's a biscuit...:)
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>Which has absolutely nothing to do with my comment. Go back and read it again. Or are you too lazy?

I recommend you abstain from crack before you start posting.
Oh good one you used my words against me. I bet that took a lot of thought on your part.

And yes I am too lazy to go back for one of your post.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>We know why.
It's the crack right?
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>Why else would the Satan lie to you so much?
Point -> Snevaeh legna
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>Delusional bliss, blinded by lies and demons. That's okay though if you wish to stay in that state of mind. Don't worry, I'm not here to change you..
It is fun to watch them though isn't it?

;)

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
So do we.
Then for the thousandth time why don't you list it and explain it.

I can explain why the fossil record supports evolution. No creationist to date has been able to explain the fossil record from a creationist paradigm without having that paradigm shot down.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Oh chuckie...how can yuou so openly lie about your cult? they left a swath of bloodshed int eh name of your cult across the planet. in south america, in north america. in asia, in africa, on every continent but antarctica and that was only because there was no one to disagree with them there.

it was the muslims that caused them to otrure jews in the inquisition? really? it was the muslims that had them kill off the natives that didn't convert in the americas? it was the muslims that killed off the Cathars?

you really need to stop lying for you cult, Chaz...
Slow down woody. Take a chill pill and relax!

"how can "yuou" so openly lie about your cult? they left a swath of bloodshed "int eh" name"

We're all just having fun here. You need to watch the blood pressure my boy.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
Good boy! Now here's a biscuit...:)
Actually , you have to try on this saddle.:)

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Point -> Snevaeh legna
no, using a proven myth does not make a point..

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Level 5

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
It is fun to watch them though isn't it?
;)
Yup, demons are funny sometimes... They know their place though... it's under my 'boots'...:)
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>there is no satan. that is part of your cult which has been proven to be based on lies. you god is a lie and so is satan.

your cult lies to you and you continue that lie every time you repeat it.
"has been proven"
Nothing has been proven. You really need to back up and see what you're claiming is total BS. We all know it! you're not fooling anyone with your atheist lies. You've posted not a thing that can't be seen 100 time before on these threads.

Try a new beginning post something worth wild and new to the discussion.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 80,861 - 80,880 of105,858
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••