Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.
Comments
80,621 - 80,640 of 112,798 Comments Last updated 7 min ago

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"Sorry Dude, but I hate to tell you this, most chrisitans (Christians) and other deists believe in the Big Bang theory and the theory of evolution. Its only the wacko evangelical fundamentalist crowd that refuses to accept science"
Science? Funny...... More like Satan.
Nope, just science. The U.S. is one of the few countries where there is a significant belief in the Genesis myths by Christians exist.
Was the Big Bang nothing exploding and creating everything?
The Big Bang was not an explosion. Only creatards make that claim. And yes, it very well be that the Big Bang occurred from nothing. As long as the total energy of the universe is zero the creation of matter does not violate conservation of energy. And to truly understand that you will have to talk to a physicist.
How old is the universe?
Can matter exist outside the universe?
We only can know how long ago the Big Bang occurred. For all practical purposes that is the start of the universe. It could have existed before then, we may never know.

What does that have to do with evolution anyway? It seems that you are moving the goal posts pretty far back.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"And KJV, what is the difference between your creator and magic? It can be shown how the universe can come from nothing from understanding the laws of physics."
In your eyes there would be no difference. However magic could not exist if there was nothing. Nothing is a complete void of everything.
You believe all that ever existed sprang fourth out of nothingness.
I claim it was all created.
No, it has been shown that "nothing" is impossible in our universe, or don't you understand that?

You keep claiming "magic", or in other words your invisible friend did it. I claim that everything can be explained by observable repeatable science.

And once again, why are you moving the goal posts so far back? Though I am an atheist I have never claimed evolution disproves god. It only disproves the silly version of god that you believe in.
The existence of a god does not mean that it has to be the god of the Bible. So rather than argue how the universe started lets move the goal posts back where they belong. Onto the Earth. Where the evidence of evolution is so undeniable that as a percentage more historians deny the holocaust than scientists believe in creation.

You are a believer in an unsupported cult.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"Why couldn't the universe exist on its own? "
Did the universe always exist?
Your science claims a age to the universe. The universe is everything. So there had to be nothing before the universe. The laws of our universe does not allow something to come from nothing.
It had to then be created.
No, once again, we can date when the Big Bang occurred. That is not necessarily the beginning of the universe.

It is only the beginning of the universe as we know it. Is that concept above your ability to understand or not?

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"And KJV, what is the difference between your creator and magic? It can be shown how the universe can come from nothing from understanding the laws of physics."
In your eyes there would be no difference. However magic could not exist if there was nothing. Nothing is a complete void of everything.
You believe all that ever existed sprang fourth out of nothingness.
And you have no evidence that backs up your claims. I do.

If somebody claimed he saw a cow fly would you believe him if he did not give you any evidence at all?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
The Universe is commonly defined as the totality of existence, including planets, stars, galaxies, the contents of intergalactic space, and all matter and energy.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe
Translate universe | into French | into German |into Italian | into Spanish
Definition of universe
noun
1 (the universe) all existing matter and space considered as a whole; the cosmos. The universe is believed to be at least 10 billion light years in diameter and contains a vast number of galaxies; it has been expanding since its creation in the Big Bang about 13 billion years ago.
Origin:
late Middle English: from Old French univers or Latin universum, neuter of universus 'combined into one, whole', from uni-'one'+ versus 'turned'(past participle of vertere)
universe in other Oxford dictionaries
Definition of universe in the US English dictionary
http://www.definitions.net/definition/univers...
universe, existence, creation, world, cosmos, macrocosm(noun)
everything that exists anywhere
"they study the evolution of the universe"; "the biggest tree in existence.
http://i.word.com/idictionary/universe
Main Entry: uni·verse
Pronunciation:\ˈyü-nə-ˌvə rs\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin universum, from neuter ofuniversus entire, whole, from uni-+versus turned toward, from past participle of vertere to turn — more at worth
Date: 14th century
1 : the whole body of things and phenomena observed or postulated :cosmos: as a : a systematic whole held to arise by and persist through the direct intervention of divine power b : the world of human experience c (1): the entire celestial cosmos (2): milky way galaxy (3):an aggregate of stars comparable to the Milky Way galaxy 2 : a distinct field or province of thought or reality that forms a closed system or self-inclusive and independent organization 3 : population 4 4 : a set that contains all elements relevant to a particular discussion or problem5 : a great number or quantity <a large enough universe of stocks … to choose from — G. B. Clairmont>
Yes there are many definitions that change over time.
This is in fact the evolution of knowledge itself..no?
No comprende father unknowing, but when you do finally catch up.

Everything falls into place, including you.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Lagrangian L2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"May I 'see' it?"
I don't think so, atheist seem to have blinders on.
You can't show it to me, or you don't want to show me tour evidence?

I would think that if a Christian had proof of God they would gladly share this proof.

After all, I would gladly convert if I was shown incontrovertible proof....its only logical

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

KJV wrote:
...by a Magician.
Mary Magdalena

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>“The proposition that "Jesus Christ" never existed relies on much more than simply stating that we don't have evidence for his existence or that the Gospels are unbelievable. Showing that the story of Jesus Christ is not based on a person in any meaningful way requires showing that the story of Jesus Christ is better explained as having developed through non-historical methods than it is through historical methods.

We can identify literary sources and traditions that are not only capable of providing all of the material for the Jesus story, but indeed it is clear that the Jesus story is developed from these source materials, and this fact undermines the possibility that the stories are based on observed historical events.

If the crucifixion of Jesus were based on an observed historical event, then we should not expect that virtually every line of the crucifixion narrative comes from existing Hebrew scriptures (including themes that were mistranslated in the Greek sources that were used).

Not only does the scriptural basis of the Jesus stories undermine their historical credibility, but we also have historical facts, or lack thereof, which corroborate Jesus' absence of existence….

….Not only can Christianity be explained without a real historical Jesus at its core, but the historical facts that we do have are best explained if Jesus never existed.”

http://rationalrevolution.net/articles/jesus_...
So, are you claiming Jesus never exist?

Here is what some pretty intelligent people say about that-----

"H. G. Wells, British writer, 1866-1946

When asked which person left the most permanent impression on history, he replied that judging a person’s greatness by historical standards:

“By this test, Jesus stands first.”

“I am a historian, I am not a believer, but I must confess as a historian that this penniless preacher from Nazareth is irrevocably the very center of history. Jesus Christ is easily the most dominant figure in all history.”

“Christ is the most unique person of history. No man can write a history of the human race without giving first and foremost place to the penniless teacher of Nazareth.”

Kenneth Scott Latourette, former President of American Historic Society

In A History of Christianity:

“It is evidence of His importance, of the effect that He has had upon history and presumably, of the baffling mystery of His being that no other life ever lived on this planet has evoked so huge a volume of literature among so many people and languages, and that, far from ebbing, the flood continues to mount.”

“As the centuries pass by, the evidence is accumulating that measured by its effect on history, Jesus is the most influential life ever lived on this planet. The influence appears to be mounting.”

“No other life lived on this planet has so widely and deeply affected mankind.”

George Bancroft, great American historian

“I find the name of Jesus Christ written on the top of every page of modern history.”"

http://www.why-jesus.com/history.htm
Mary Magdalena

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>When you make statements like this, you are just demonstrating a level of ignorance that really undercuts any further argument you might make.

It's the equivalent of saying: "I'm not a mammal, I'm human"
Or "I'm not an animal with a spinal cord, I'm human".

I'm going to go ahead and assume you don't understand why either of those two statements poses a problem and explain it to you.

You have mammary glands, therefore you are a mammal. All humans are mammals.

You have a spinal cord, all humans have spinal cords.

You can be both things, they are not contradictory.

You are an ape. All humans are apes. To claim you aren't is just to demonstrate a profound ignorance of what the word means.

[QUOTE](Smirk)
"

I find it endlessly amusing that you would "smirk" after displaying your own ignorance.

Seriously, when we read posts like this, we think about the mentally deficient people who ride the little buses. The people who smear their own sh1t in their hair and proclaim: "I'm pretty! I'm pretty!".

No, M. You aren't pretty. You have sh1t in your hair.
I am a member of the human race.
You are a member of the ape family, freely admitted and you're proud of it.

You are the product of slim mutations.
I was created whole and perfect.

I have an eternal soul.
You hope the hell you don't have a soul.

Rather sad and empty.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Mary Magdalena wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a member of the human race.
You are a member of the ape family, freely admitted and you're proud of it.
You are the product of slim mutations.
I was created whole and perfect.
I have an eternal soul.
You hope the hell you don't have a soul.
Rather sad and empty.
rather sad that you think you are perfect...what about those that are not born whole and perfect? did they piss of your god somehow before they were born?
Mary Magdalena

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>rather sad that you think you are perfect...what about those that are not born whole and perfect? did they piss of your god somehow before they were born?
"rather sad that you think you are perfect.."

When God created man, he created him perfect. Man sinned and brought death into the world. So we are not perfect any longer.

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Mary Magdalena wrote:
<quoted text>
"rather sad that you think you are perfect.."
When God created man, he created him perfect. Man sinned and brought death into the world. So we are not perfect any longer.
you clearly said "I was created whole and perfect"

are you Adam or Eve?

just a Freudian slip?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>
...by a Magician.
Who did such a piss-poor job of it that he had to erase the whole mess and start over.
Mary Magdalena

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>you clearly said "I was created whole and perfect"

are you Adam or Eve?

just a Freudian slip?
No, not a Freudian slip. I am perfect. one of the lucky few. But sin is what caused you to be born less then perfect.
Mary Magdalena

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Who did such a piss-poor job of it that he had to erase the whole mess and start over.
Not quite! He turned the reigns over to man. It was man that screwed up. God just cleaned up the mess.

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Mary Magdalena wrote:
<quoted text>
No, not a Freudian slip. I am perfect. one of the lucky few. But sin is what caused you to be born less then perfect.
so first you are perfect. then you are not, now you are again...

you change your mind as much as your mythical god...

cult mentality, the truth is what you need to beleive now...

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Mary Magdalena wrote:
<quoted text>
"Sin" is a false idea.

You are an ape just like we are. You are no different. If any of us could stand to bed you, and you were not too old or too young, you could get pregnant from us. You are the same species as we are.

You are far from perfect. Your magic book does not even claim that of its believers. They are all still "sinful".

I am not saying that Jesus never existed. I am saying he was only a man.

Your Bible is full of nonsense that includes immorality of the worst sort, failed prophecies and scientific errors.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Mary Magdalena wrote:
<quoted text>
Not quite! He turned the reigns over to man. It was man that screwed up. God just cleaned up the mess.
No, that's still an incompetent magician.

If he couldn't do any better "poofing", he should've left it alone.

In no way is it his creation's fault.

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Mary Magdalena wrote:
<quoted text>
no, your mythical god has cleaned up nothing...because he is a myth.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Lagrangian L2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Mary Magdalena wrote:
<quoted text>
So, are you claiming Jesus never exist?
Here is what some pretty intelligent people say about that-----
"H. G. Wells, British writer, 1866-1946
When asked which person left the most permanent impression on history, he replied that judging a person’s greatness by historical standards:
“By this test, Jesus stands first.”
“I am a historian, I am not a believer, but I must confess as a historian that this penniless preacher from Nazareth is irrevocably the very center of history. Jesus Christ is easily the most dominant figure in all history.”
“Christ is the most unique person of history. No man can write a history of the human race without giving first and foremost place to the penniless teacher of Nazareth.”
Kenneth Scott Latourette, former President of American Historic Society
In A History of Christianity:
“It is evidence of His importance, of the effect that He has had upon history and presumably, of the baffling mystery of His being that no other life ever lived on this planet has evoked so huge a volume of literature among so many people and languages, and that, far from ebbing, the flood continues to mount.”
“As the centuries pass by, the evidence is accumulating that measured by its effect on history, Jesus is the most influential life ever lived on this planet. The influence appears to be mounting.”
“No other life lived on this planet has so widely and deeply affected mankind.”
George Bancroft, great American historian
“I find the name of Jesus Christ written on the top of every page of modern history.”"
http://www.why-jesus.com/history.htm
Another thing to consider Mary is that Adam and Eve never existed; therefore there wasn't any 'Original Sin' that needed to be expiated by a human blood sacrifice. There was no need for Jesus.

I always thought the Dogma of original sin was stupid anyway. This is using the meme that one couples 'Sin' is spread to all mankind and there are places in the Bible were God says that the son does not carry the 'Sins' of the father.

So, no Adam and Eve equals no need for Jesus....at least according to St. Paul

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••