Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story
Mark

United States

#81027 Mar 15, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, dark matter is suggested by the calculated movement of objects in space. It is based on empirical evidence but only a few years ago, entirely different calculations and conclusions based on observation was also the pinnacle of science. Generally speaking, I prefer Occam's razor rather than elaborate speculation based on little empirical evidence, but that still doesn't suggest deity. At some point, you just have to accept that you're here to ponder your existence, therefore it is implicit that there was some form of creation. You'll never escape the cycle of who created what and what created who.
On the other hand, you've probably observed the hostile nature of the current batch of posters. Please don't call them advocates of science. They are little more than professional victims in the name of proletarian consumption of resources. They like to call themselves scholars of various sorts, but they really are just shaking their fists defiantly at their own idea of who authority is. The reality of authority completely eludes them.
When it comes down to it, conflict is always inevitable and choices have to be made to protect what you have against those who would take it all from you. For now, it's a worthless debate. You're dealing with those who have gambled on stability lasting through their lifetimes. They may be right, in which case they are just pushing and shoving for as much slop as they can consume before the rest of farmer Bob's swine take it from them.
To hear them talk of morality is absurd. As soon as they resort to trolling, they've lost all moral authority in what is supposed to be a civil forum. But then again, don't we all tailor our morality to suit our means?
I still don't see anyone addressing morality as they discuss religion. I still don't see anyone offering pure science without injecting vigilante political dogma into the debate. There's little here but a will to raise the rabble, and that is why you'll only continue to see arrogance instead of real debate.
I am new, but if I may offer a comment on the subject "dark matter". Actually this is really intresting to one that beleives science should consist of the testable/repeatable model. There used to be a diff between operational science aand origin science. Now they have mixed them and most all public instititions view natrual science through an evolutionary lense. So now we have this mass "belief" in "dark matter". Now think about this, it can't be seen nor detected, but is responsible for holding the entire universe together! In truth, they need dark matter for the problem of time - if the universe was old it would have flown apart long long ago without it. Astro physisists had many a sleepless night seeing thier spiral galaxies unraveling before their eyes (which they are) and the evolutionary clocks stop ticking, dark matter became their pixy dust, a fairy tale, sweet dreams.. it was needed, so it was invented to get their thoughts of ID deflected and medicated. Regards

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#81028 Mar 15, 2013
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
I am new, but if I may offer a comment on the subject "dark matter". Actually this is really intresting to one that beleives science should consist of the testable/repeatable model. There used to be a diff between operational science aand origin science. Now they have mixed them and most all public instititions view natrual science through an evolutionary lense. So now we have this mass "belief" in "dark matter". Now think about this, it can't be seen nor detected, but is responsible for holding the entire universe together! In truth, they need dark matter for the problem of time - if the universe was old it would have flown apart long long ago without it. Astro physisists had many a sleepless night seeing thier spiral galaxies unraveling before their eyes (which they are) and the evolutionary clocks stop ticking, dark matter became their pixy dust, a fairy tale, sweet dreams.. it was needed, so it was invented to get their thoughts of ID deflected and medicated. Regards
No, wrong.

You are somewhat right about how astronomers knew that there was something else out there. Galaxies do spin too quickly. Now you might have a claim if that was all the evidence there was. It isn't. Gravity bends light. They can calculate how much a galaxy should bend light and how much it should bend light if there was dark matter. Guess which one they observe.

And very rarely galaxies collide. When they do at least temporarily the dark matter is separated a bit from the galaxy that it is associated with. That can be seen by how it reacts with light too.

So astronomers do have more evidence for Dark Matter than the simple fact that galaxies spin too quickly.

Level 5

Since: Apr 12

Hefei, China

#81029 Mar 15, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
i gues being in a cult makes one really angry...
Maybe, or maybe being angry makes a person join a cult.
Or maybe a third factor causes both.
bohart

Newport, TN

#81030 Mar 15, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually no, we've never claimed that some animals don't ever change.
Not once.
You'd think that even though you're incapable of paying attention at least SOME facts would even slip through to your brain even by accident.
Liar! sharks, crocidiles , coelacanths,etc, etc.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#81031 Mar 15, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Liar! sharks, crocidiles , coelacanths,etc, etc.
Yes, and they all have changed.

The fact that they are recognizable as sharks, crocodiles and coelacanths does not mean that they have not changed.

Your idiocy continues to shine across the interwebs.
*THOR*

United States

#81032 Mar 16, 2013
Thomas Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe, or maybe being angry makes a person join a cult.
Or maybe a third factor causes both.
Cult is just another word for Religion.

cult\ˈkəlt\
noun
Usage: often attributive
1 : formal religious veneration : worship
2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents

Burnt to a crisp is another word for atheist.
*THOR*

United States

#81033 Mar 16, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, and they all have changed.

The fact that they are recognizable as sharks, crocodiles and coelacanths does not mean that they have not changed.

Your idiocy continues to shine across the interwebs.
"The fact that they are recognizable as sharks, crocodiles and coelacanths does not mean that they have not changed."

From what? Gold fish? Lmao

Level 9

Everett, WA

#81034 Mar 16, 2013
[QUOTE who="*THOR*"]<quo ted text>
"The fact that they are recognizable as sharks, crocodiles and coelacanths does not mean that they have not changed."
From what? Gold fish? Lmao
[/QUOTE]

Really?!? Are you that stupid?

Yes, of course you are. The differences between various sharks is bigger than the differences between the various great apes, which of course includes man.

I get so tired of creatards who cannot think.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#81035 Mar 16, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, of course you are. The differences between various sharks is bigger than the differences between the various great apes, which of course includes man.
There's no other kind.

"There is no such thing as a thinking creationist."
d-pants7

Chicago, IL

#81036 Mar 16, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
Well, Carchar King, where is this proof of the great flood? You would be the first human to ever have a shred of evidence for it. Please share.
yesm you can make fun of atheism all you want. It would be bettter if you had some actual points to make fun with.
what about all the ancient civilizations submerged in the seas of the east? They were not flooded with water? Why are they submerged then. Earthquake? Its still a flood when there's that stuff called water involved.
d-pants7

Chicago, IL

#81037 Mar 16, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
we are tired of retards who keep trying to prop up a 150 year old theory called darwinism when you have NO fossil evidence to prove your theory and genetics blow it out of the water. Ever look at the human gene map compared to any other organism on earth? Yeah, that's right, if it slams darwin just call it junk and ignore it. Here's another question. How come in natural evolution, animals adapt to survive in a changing enviroment, but human evolved so fast to such a level that we are destroying our surroundings? Isn't that called mutation?
d-pants7

Chicago, IL

#81038 Mar 16, 2013
Just restating, I'm agnostic.

“All things considered”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#81039 Mar 16, 2013
HOG_ Hand of God wrote:
Spirituality is the first science:
Watch the point 6:20-7:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =EeUrU-UA858XX
Good video...but the idea of the subconscious being just a mere recording device... I believe could be questioned with Kekuls Dream as a representation of how the mind solves problem on a higher level of conscious implying that the subconscious works on problems through the use of symbols and images. Which could possibly be linked to the thinking process of the mind before the development of language.

Kekuls Dream

In 1890, at the 25th anniversary of the benzene structure discovery, Friedrich August Kekul, a German chemist, reminisced about his major accomplishments and told of two dreams that he had at key moments of his work. In his first dream, in 1865, he saw atoms dance around and link to one another. He awakened and immediately began to sketch what he saw in his dream.

Later, Kekul had another dream, in which he saw atoms dance around, then form themselves into strings, moving about in a snake-like fashion. This vision continued until the snake of atoms formed itself into an image of a snake eating its own tail. This dream gave Kekul the idea of the cyclic structure of benzene1.

So far as the "spiritual" world and the quantum field being the same, I would have to agree...Science is just now coming to terms with age old concepts and proving in mathematical formulas what ancient civilizations new all along.
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#81040 Mar 16, 2013
d-pants7 wrote:
<quoted text> we are tired of retards who keep trying to prop up a 150 year old theory called darwinism when you have NO fossil evidence to prove your theory and genetics blow it out of the water. Ever look at the human gene map compared to any other organism on earth? Yeah, that's right, if it slams darwin just call it junk and ignore it. Here's another question. How come in natural evolution, animals adapt to survive in a changing enviroment, but human evolved so fast to such a level that we are destroying our surroundings? Isn't that called mutation?
...and next year, maybe a virus will mutate and kill off the entire human race before it can adapt to it.

The human race IS unique in that it is (to the best of our knowledge) the first species to occupy a niche based on using intelligence and tool making as a means of survival. It's only natural that a great many new adaptations would evolve quickly and that is still work in progress.

A couple of posters brought up a sci-fi author that I think theorized well on the subject of future evolution, although they(it was two authors working together) In this case, they invented a species that was trapped by the physics of its own star system and a method of reproduction that forced its civilization into cyclical collapse and that process had been going on for a long time.

In this particular vision, the species had broken itself into sub-species castes who were content in their roles, and somewhat beyond questioning the moral complications of their dilemma.

I wonder if you are like such a species, content to be a worker or a soldier because it is what you have been bred to be. Or have your just chosen a morality that you find prosperity in, as most people here have only done.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#81041 Mar 16, 2013
d-pants7 wrote:
<quoted text> what about all the ancient civilizations submerged in the seas of the east? They were not flooded with water? Why are they submerged then. Earthquake? Its still a flood when there's that stuff called water involved.
but it is not a world wide flood.

“All things considered”

Location hidden

#81042 Mar 16, 2013
In what way does the Quantum Theory support Evolution?

St. Croix valley

#81043 Mar 16, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Good video...but the idea of the subconscious being just a mere recording device... I believe could be questioned with Kekuls Dream as a representation of how the mind solves problem on a higher level of conscious implying that the subconscious works on problems through the use of symbols and images. Which could possibly be linked to the thinking process of the mind before the development of language.
Kekuls Dream
In 1890, at the 25th anniversary of the benzene structure discovery, Friedrich August Kekul, a German chemist, reminisced about his major accomplishments and told of two dreams that he had at key moments of his work. In his first dream, in 1865, he saw atoms dance around and link to one another. He awakened and immediately began to sketch what he saw in his dream.
Later, Kekul had another dream, in which he saw atoms dance around, then form themselves into strings, moving about in a snake-like fashion. This vision continued until the snake of atoms formed itself into an image of a snake eating its own tail. This dream gave Kekul the idea of the cyclic structure of benzene1.
So far as the "spiritual" world and the quantum field being the same, I would have to agree...Science is just now coming to terms with age old concepts and proving in mathematical formulas what ancient civilizations new all along.
Nothing magical about that at all. both my neighbor and i have very similar experiences when trying to figure out the problems with our snowplopw trucks.(We're not great mechanics, but do allright as long as we have older trucks that we can actually work on.

several times after being stumped on a problem one of us will think of someothing in our sleep tha turns out to be the cause or leads us to the problem.

the subconcious mind at work is nothing magical, just the mind at work. same as lucid dreaming pretty wild stuff, but just the mind at work...

“All things considered”

Location hidden

#81045 Mar 16, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Nothing magical about that at all. both my neighbor and i have very similar experiences when trying to figure out the problems with our snowplopw trucks.(We're not great mechanics, but do allright as long as we have older trucks that we can actually work on.
several times after being stumped on a problem one of us will think of someothing in our sleep tha turns out to be the cause or leads us to the problem.
the subconcious mind at work is nothing magical, just the mind at work. same as lucid dreaming pretty wild stuff, but just the mind at work...
?...Was not claiming anything magical about it.

“All things considered”

Location hidden

#81046 Mar 16, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>There's no other kind.
"There is no such thing as a thinking creationist."
Creationists believe in cause and effect, which is a basic scienctific concept that the whole Universe abides by.

You are proposing a effect without a cause,a claim that contradict all the known processes in the Universe, and call it logical thinking? Absurd.

St. Croix valley

#81048 Mar 16, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Laffin.
Thanks to Rapa Nui.
i just love that picture...it's how I THINK i look when being pensive or contemplative...

how i really look...

http://www.google.com/imgres...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
An atheistic view on evolution vs. a godly view... 33 min Charles Idemi 445
What you should know about Tuesday's vote on ev... (Feb '08) 5 hr IAMIOOWAN 516
How would creationists explain... 5 hr Hidingfromyou 286
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) 9 hr Brian_G 13,614
Science News (Sep '13) 12 hr positronium 2,939
sea-dwelling dinosaur found alive (Apr '10) 14 hr The Dude 87
Genetic entropy Mon Chimney1 157
More from around the web