Evolution vs. Creation

There are 164158 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#81009 Mar 15, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't stop there, use all your religious defenses.
1. Liar.
2. Fundie, Creatard or any standard insult
3. accusations of ignorance and stupidity.
4. explain your own intellectual superiority
Didn't rely on number 4 in that instance. I then proceeded to demonstrate the other three.

Same as I always do with you.

Just stick to lame puddle-goo jokes and you'll be fine. I can't expect too much from kids.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#81010 Mar 15, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
O-R-I-G-I-N O-F T-H-E S-P-E-C-I-E-S
By your prophet Charles Darwin
Not bad as far as prophets go. Came up with a theory that started a scientific revolution. Fundies got jealous and invoked Godwin's.

I'm a prophet too.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#81011 Mar 15, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Hear ye, hear ye! Bohart is accused of heresey against the church!
The all knowing,knowing all Subduct presiding judge, all rise!
Prosecuting attorney, the Dude.
Subduct: you may procede Dude
Dude: you bohart are a lying,creatard fundie,with no education to dare question the beliefs of your intellectual superiors.
Subduct:I find you guilty! no mention of a diety is allowed , nor is any defamation of our prophets tolerated.
I sentence you to a re education camp where Darwins works are read daily and Dawkins videos and books will be your new holy scripture.!
bohart: noooooooooooooo!
Ah, so we were right?(shrug)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#81012 Mar 15, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Boy you nailed that one, it's not so much that they fail to see though, but that they refuse to see, or even consider it for a moment. It is simply not allowed to be discussed.
Pretty much anything's allowed to be discussed. It's you who avoids discussion.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#81013 Mar 15, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Accuse others of lying , bragging on your intelletual superiority.
two more defense mechanisms to go .
You keep skipping the fact that we can back up our claims.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#81014 Mar 15, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolutions better? you claim that rodents evolved into men , hey changes over time thats what evolution says. Some animals don't ever change, what do you say? well evolution predicts that too!Your God of evolution explains everything right? then it explains nothing
Actually no, we've never claimed that some animals don't ever change.

Not once.

You'd think that even though you're incapable of paying attention at least SOME facts would even slip through to your brain even by accident.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#81015 Mar 15, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
What conspiracy? Why, the evil world-wide atheist Darwinist evolutionist elitist scientist gayhomo liberal socialist Communist Nazi anti-Christian God-hating Satan-worshipping baby-eating Jewish illuminati conspiracy of course!
ROFL!

I have my EWWADEESGLSCNACGHSWBEJI membership card right here.

It's actually 3" X 5".

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#81016 Mar 15, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>ROFL!
I have my EWWADEESGLSCNACGHSWBEJI membership card right here.
It's actually 3" X 5".
What a noob...we just call it ew-wad....

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#81017 Mar 15, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
And though HOG may be more intelligent than our average creatard here, he is still dishonest.
He obviously believes in creation by a god of some sort but he will not go into any details of his belief.
Trying to play coy is not being honest. We cannot have a civilized debate if one side is not fully honest from the start.
Also, science can refute a claim if it is well enough defined. He is playing the I won't be specific so you can't debunk my claims game. Another dishonest ploy.
So yes, science cannot "prove" anything. It cannot prove that the universe was made last Thursday complete with false memories and fake evidence. But to believe that is a fruitless belief.
What science can do is tho show how ideas "work". As an idea evolution "works" creationism doesn't. It is a very useful too that is guiding present day medicine, is used in oil exploration, is used even in modern day engineering. Creation as a science is not used in anything.
Creationism does not "work".
To paraphrase the wonderful Neil deGrasse Tyson,“God is an ever-decreasing pocket of&#65279; scientific ignorance.”

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#81018 Mar 15, 2013
HOG_ Hand of God wrote:
<quoted text>
No you do not know the source of the gravitational disturbances; thats why you associate them with a "Dark" matter.
The term "Dark" is used to represent the ignorance of its true nature.
So you dont know whether the thing which you have identified is the actual thing that exists.
And until you can whip up a pound in a scoop and drop it "PLOP!" on the laboratory table; you cant talk to me as if you know what it is.
<quoted text>
Do not try to prove the reality of things that you dont know. You ARE foolish when you try.
Okay, if that's your metric...

Let's see your pound of God.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#81019 Mar 15, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>this is why no-one has yet attempted to say exactly what this 'dark matter' is. we lnly know its effects.
now...wouldn't that same thing go for this 'god' you profess exists? when you can plop a scoop of your god an a lab table, we can start the discussion of its existence...
logic is fun!
Blast. Beat me to it.

I shoulda known that was too easy.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#81020 Mar 15, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>ROFL!
I have my EWWADEESGLSCNACGHSWBEJI membership card right here.
It's actually 3" X 5".
Oh cool! I haven't got one yet!
drinK the hivE

New York, NY

#81021 Mar 15, 2013
Sounds 2 Me Like U Got Fried By Kundalini Energy...

http://rt.com/files/news/north-korea-leader-d...
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#81022 Mar 15, 2013
HOG_ Hand of God wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I could say that the Dark Matter proposed by science is pure hokum too; because its existence can only be logically inferred.
But how is it that ones like you are ready to accept a thing that you can only logically infer; yet you cant see how the reality of The Almighty's existence can be inferred?
Is it that your capacity to infer just shuts the f@ck down when its time to think of The Almighty?
Well, dark matter is suggested by the calculated movement of objects in space. It is based on empirical evidence but only a few years ago, entirely different calculations and conclusions based on observation was also the pinnacle of science. Generally speaking, I prefer Occam's razor rather than elaborate speculation based on little empirical evidence, but that still doesn't suggest deity. At some point, you just have to accept that you're here to ponder your existence, therefore it is implicit that there was some form of creation. You'll never escape the cycle of who created what and what created who.

On the other hand, you've probably observed the hostile nature of the current batch of posters. Please don't call them advocates of science. They are little more than professional victims in the name of proletarian consumption of resources. They like to call themselves scholars of various sorts, but they really are just shaking their fists defiantly at their own idea of who authority is. The reality of authority completely eludes them.

When it comes down to it, conflict is always inevitable and choices have to be made to protect what you have against those who would take it all from you. For now, it's a worthless debate. You're dealing with those who have gambled on stability lasting through their lifetimes. They may be right, in which case they are just pushing and shoving for as much slop as they can consume before the rest of farmer Bob's swine take it from them.

To hear them talk of morality is absurd. As soon as they resort to trolling, they've lost all moral authority in what is supposed to be a civil forum. But then again, don't we all tailor our morality to suit our means?

I still don't see anyone addressing morality as they discuss religion. I still don't see anyone offering pure science without injecting vigilante political dogma into the debate. There's little here but a will to raise the rabble, and that is why you'll only continue to see arrogance instead of real debate.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#81023 Mar 15, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>What a noob...we just call it ew-wad....
Hmm.

Perhaps a redesign is in order.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#81024 Mar 15, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh cool! I haven't got one yet!
I'll send you the express application.
qyddyd

Pittsburgh, PA

#81025 Mar 15, 2013
youtube.com/watch...
What came first Death or Birth
Mark

United States

#81027 Mar 15, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, dark matter is suggested by the calculated movement of objects in space. It is based on empirical evidence but only a few years ago, entirely different calculations and conclusions based on observation was also the pinnacle of science. Generally speaking, I prefer Occam's razor rather than elaborate speculation based on little empirical evidence, but that still doesn't suggest deity. At some point, you just have to accept that you're here to ponder your existence, therefore it is implicit that there was some form of creation. You'll never escape the cycle of who created what and what created who.
On the other hand, you've probably observed the hostile nature of the current batch of posters. Please don't call them advocates of science. They are little more than professional victims in the name of proletarian consumption of resources. They like to call themselves scholars of various sorts, but they really are just shaking their fists defiantly at their own idea of who authority is. The reality of authority completely eludes them.
When it comes down to it, conflict is always inevitable and choices have to be made to protect what you have against those who would take it all from you. For now, it's a worthless debate. You're dealing with those who have gambled on stability lasting through their lifetimes. They may be right, in which case they are just pushing and shoving for as much slop as they can consume before the rest of farmer Bob's swine take it from them.
To hear them talk of morality is absurd. As soon as they resort to trolling, they've lost all moral authority in what is supposed to be a civil forum. But then again, don't we all tailor our morality to suit our means?
I still don't see anyone addressing morality as they discuss religion. I still don't see anyone offering pure science without injecting vigilante political dogma into the debate. There's little here but a will to raise the rabble, and that is why you'll only continue to see arrogance instead of real debate.
I am new, but if I may offer a comment on the subject "dark matter". Actually this is really intresting to one that beleives science should consist of the testable/repeatable model. There used to be a diff between operational science aand origin science. Now they have mixed them and most all public instititions view natrual science through an evolutionary lense. So now we have this mass "belief" in "dark matter". Now think about this, it can't be seen nor detected, but is responsible for holding the entire universe together! In truth, they need dark matter for the problem of time - if the universe was old it would have flown apart long long ago without it. Astro physisists had many a sleepless night seeing thier spiral galaxies unraveling before their eyes (which they are) and the evolutionary clocks stop ticking, dark matter became their pixy dust, a fairy tale, sweet dreams.. it was needed, so it was invented to get their thoughts of ID deflected and medicated. Regards

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#81028 Mar 15, 2013
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
I am new, but if I may offer a comment on the subject "dark matter". Actually this is really intresting to one that beleives science should consist of the testable/repeatable model. There used to be a diff between operational science aand origin science. Now they have mixed them and most all public instititions view natrual science through an evolutionary lense. So now we have this mass "belief" in "dark matter". Now think about this, it can't be seen nor detected, but is responsible for holding the entire universe together! In truth, they need dark matter for the problem of time - if the universe was old it would have flown apart long long ago without it. Astro physisists had many a sleepless night seeing thier spiral galaxies unraveling before their eyes (which they are) and the evolutionary clocks stop ticking, dark matter became their pixy dust, a fairy tale, sweet dreams.. it was needed, so it was invented to get their thoughts of ID deflected and medicated. Regards
No, wrong.

You are somewhat right about how astronomers knew that there was something else out there. Galaxies do spin too quickly. Now you might have a claim if that was all the evidence there was. It isn't. Gravity bends light. They can calculate how much a galaxy should bend light and how much it should bend light if there was dark matter. Guess which one they observe.

And very rarely galaxies collide. When they do at least temporarily the dark matter is separated a bit from the galaxy that it is associated with. That can be seen by how it reacts with light too.

So astronomers do have more evidence for Dark Matter than the simple fact that galaxies spin too quickly.

Level 5

Since: Apr 12

Hefei, China

#81029 Mar 15, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
i gues being in a cult makes one really angry...
Maybe, or maybe being angry makes a person join a cult.
Or maybe a third factor causes both.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 51 min thetruth 19,049
How can we prove God exists, or does not? Tue Gillette 84
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) Tue DanFromSmithville 141,352
News Should evolution be taught in high school? (Feb '08) Mon UncommonSense2015 178,616
has science finally debunked the 'god' myth? Sun UncommonSense2015 10
News Darwin on the rocks (Sep '14) May 24 Chimney1 1,871
News British Ban Teaching Creationism As Science, Sh... (Jul '14) May 23 Swedenforever 159
More from around the web