Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 223358 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#79091 Mar 6, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not seeking validation for my own opinions. I'm confident in what I believe. Nor do I feel the need to condemn you for believing differently. I'm simply stating a fact. I fail to see why you are so flustered.
I'm not flustered. Perhaps a little confused as to why you keep attributing things to me that I never said. And why you have difficulty remembering things YOU have said.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#79092 Mar 6, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>not crafty at all. i use logic.
we can disprove the existence of the god in the christian bible by showing that the myth is based on lies.
Your posting style is familiar, who did you post under before jan. 13?
The bible is a myth and therefore should not be taken literally. How does the myth prove that there is no God? Maybe there is a reason why the authors of the bible wrote such literature. Did Shakespeare exist or not?
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#79093 Mar 6, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
FSM? I'm cool with Hindus not caring about my God. I don't particularly worship theirs either. I'm cool with the Hindus themselves, though. Let them believe what they want. So long as they don't try to impose said belief system upon me. Or deny that mine exists simply because theirs does. Especially when they can't use the scientific method to disprove my God's existence. How ridiculous is that?
Oh, I agree that the concept of a God having anything to do with science is religious. Of course in the US everyone is free to believe whatever they want. Which is why religion is illegal to teach in public schools.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#79094 Mar 6, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha God magic? I love it! Hey. Harry Potter's the shit. Those movies rock. Fundie shmundie. Don't label me. I don't like it. The fact is I don't believe in God simply because of evidence or the lack thereof. I just believe. Until you can use the scientific method to disprove the existence of GOD, I'm gonna keep right on believing. Until then, you can't tell me that said belief is wrong. The most you can do is disagree with it.
I don't agree nor disagree with it. What I will do is disagree when someone says something which is contrary to scientific facts.
01Justsayin wrote:
Which doesn't bother me at all.
While some of your posts were jovial, I thought some of your others seemed quite passionate. But either way, groovy.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#79095 Mar 6, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
Seriously. You people could argue with a lamppost.
Only if said lamppost has a computer..:-)
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#79096 Mar 6, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't worship Adam and Eve. I worship God. Until you can use the scientific method to disprove HIS existence, I have no reason not to believe in him. I return your shrug with a shrug of my own.
I have no interest in disproving the existence of non-scientific concepts. That would be like painting a fence satin red when it already has ten coats of satin red. I was merely pointing out that some concepts are scientifically testable and hence can be proved wrong. Adam and Eve being one of them. Or two should I say.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#79097 Mar 6, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Observer bias is the distortion of evidence because of the personal motives and expectations of the viewer.
You already made up your mind. You will not accept any form of evidence even if it smacked you in the face.
Actually we'd have to if someone smacked us in the face with it. That would cause a physical reaction.

So far though, creationism is armless, metaphorically speaking.

“Looks Good To Me”

Level 2

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#79098 Mar 6, 2013
I could have spent all day reading this topix. Thinkers--vs--Believers--vs--N on-Believers. This is real entertainment. Thanks guys.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#79099 Mar 6, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
It's Jewmagic now? lol What is this obsession you have with magic? Unfulfilled childhood dream? The ONLY fact in the atheist/theist argument is this: You cannot use the scientific method to prove or disprove that GOD (the existence of whom this entire argument rests upon) exists. Thus neither party (atheist or theist) can definitively tell the other party that they are wrong. All we can do is disagree. Moving on.
I don't have an obsession with magic, I leave that to creationists.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#79100 Mar 6, 2013
LooksGood2Me wrote:
I could have spent all day reading this topix. Thinkers--vs--Believers--vs--N on-Believers. This is real entertainment. Thanks guys.
two shows on Saturday. tip your servers!
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#79101 Mar 6, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you very much, Professor Smartbutt, for your words of not so much wisdom. I feel good and thoroughly edumicated. Kindly use said scientific method, then, to disprove the existence of GOD.
If you had been paying attention to my posts you would no that I have neither the desire, or need to.
01Justsayin wrote:
Until you can do that, you have no right whatsoever to tell me that my beliefs are wrong. Having a differing opinion doth not make you right.
In the case of theology, I agree. On matters of science, I disagree. And I would be right. The reason being that we can use science to back ourselves up.

So all in all it depends on what your beliefs are and how far they go. Strictly scientifically speaking I cannot tell you that your belief in a God is wrong. I CAN tell you that a belief in Adam and Eve (if you happened to have such) is wrong. Unless of course Adam and Eve turn out to be not the progenitors of the human race but merely part of an already present population.

St. Croix valley

#79102 Mar 6, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible is a myth and therefore should not be taken literally. How does the myth prove that there is no God? Maybe there is a reason why the authors of the bible wrote such literature. Did Shakespeare exist or not?
i have many times clearly stated that one cannot disprove the existence of some god, regardles of the total lack of evidence for such a being.

the bible myth proves there is no god of the christian bible.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#79103 Mar 6, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Response bias is the systematic tendency as a result of nonsensory factors for an observer to favor responding in a particular way. For example, the use of terms like "cult" or "goddidit"
Yes, you're right. Unfortunately reality tends to be biased towards anti-reality. Sorry.(shrug)
Cybele wrote:
What kind of magic have you tested? Am I missing something?
Yep. And that is that no-one has tested it. Since no-one is able to come up with a way to test magic that passes the scientific method.

That's not to say no-one has tried. Unfortunately for them the only results they ended up with were "inconclusive".

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#79104 Mar 6, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not what he said. Again, amazing reading comprehension fail by a creatard.

Go back and reread his post.

St. Croix valley

#79105 Mar 6, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Only if said lamppost has a computer..:-)
a preferable argument to some you'll get from believers...

I've known several lamposts with better arguments than our friend charlie...
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#79106 Mar 6, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
I do enjoy a smartass. Use the scientific method to disprove the existence of my "invisible magic Jew God" and this conversation will be over.
In order for me to test that you need to come up with a testable hypothesis for (a) God. Can you?
01Justsayin wrote:
Until then, I don't need a science lesson or a lesson on the English language. Thank you all the same.
You're welcome. If you post here you will get it anyway. Such is the nature of this thread.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#79107 Mar 6, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmm...my apologies.
No worries, I'm rarely offended on here.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#79108 Mar 6, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Exactly.
Oh hey Chuckles. You do realise that you're contradicting yourself even with this just one simple word, right?

No, of course you don't.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#79109 Mar 6, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Because that is what the entire atheist/theist conundrum is based upon. The fact that the scientific method can neither prove or disprove the existence of God. By all means, formulate your own opinion. But having your own opinion doesn't automatically make mine wrong.
Ah, the old atheist/theist "conundrum". Personally I find it irrelevant.

That seems to frustrate some of the fundies around here though.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#79110 Mar 6, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible is a myth and therefore should not be taken literally. How does the myth prove that there is no God? Maybe there is a reason why the authors of the bible wrote such literature.
Control.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min Into The Night 87,614
What's your religion? 3 hr 15th Dalai Lama 774
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 5 hr Samuel Patre 166,398
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 13 hr Wisdom of Ages 5,843
Are Asians/whites more evolved? (Sep '07) Feb 21 Anonymous 1,825
Scientific Method Feb 15 stinky 20
Evolving A Maze Solving Robot Feb 6 Untangler 2
More from around the web