Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.
Comments
74,321 - 74,340 of 113,101 Comments Last updated 4 min ago

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
No use in living one either since you can't, in fact, disprove the existence of God using the scientific method.
in living one what? yes, you told us you can't prove that the Spaghetti Monster is your god...

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously. The only thing I got out of all your babbling was "lies of religious cults". Which is an interesting concept when you stop and think about it.
Since you don't believe in Heaven anyway, what does it matter to you?
yes, i'm sure that;s all you could get...

just more evidence of the made up nature of the cults.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>That may well be true.
IT'S CALLED "LEARNING", YOU HALFWIT!!!!
And the "concepts of the bible" will still be in the Bronze Age.
yes, I have learned that when you tell me a scientific truth today, that tomorrow it might not be so true after all...but one thing that I do have to give to you... consistency.

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, so now your admitting that thousands of year old biblical "mythology" correlates to your scienctific concepts...but just a little out of order.lol
no, that was just as close as you could get twisting the words to fit the real world...

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Gobekli Tepe

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't waste your time with these fools. No one was around the time the Big Bang occurred. The big bang is another theory and still being debated. No one observed how the universe was formed but these fools believe everything about science.
No one was around when your supposed 'God' supposedly created the universe. So you have no idea.
anonymous

Barberton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I don't live in any one neighborhood. I have traveled the entirety of the continental, mainland, USA, that's all but the islands and Alaska. I have seen people go out of their way to not only help me, but others, just for the sake of helping. The news only shows the worst stories, because good news doesn't sell papers or periodicals of any sort ... good news also doesn't get reported that often because most times people don't do it for the publicity. Humanity is on the right track, as long as we do not allow religious nonsense to continue to hold us back. In the US the only problem we truly face that can actually be solved is to educate people, and religious doctrine doesn't like learning, it can't stand intelligence, because when you are learned, you question everything, and under any scrutiny religious nonsense collapses.
I don't say that all people are bad. And I don't say that you just have to go to bad neighborhoods to witness badness.

I just say that bad times turns just about everyone bad. Goodness is limited to acts that don't betray one's status in a community. Being "the Man" or being "a snitch" can equally make you a victim in any particular community depending on how others perceive you, while being a penniless bum can leave you unmolested in some places and make you a pestilence in others.

I'd like to think that I've played different roles in different places. For the most part, I've found that people liked me the most when I was a soldier who could protect them or an established person who could pay their bills. The important thing is that I didn't see many people who thought about the long term.

Without a long term plan, most gestures are fairly empty and low-budget. I stopped living my life around peoples coupon-clipping social values long ago. Coupons won't buy groceries if you still don't have enough cash to be a player. People turn very ugly when they suddenly find that they have nothing but coupons, metaphorically speaking. Be careful in those dark times. Nobody sees them coming.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>in living one what? yes, you told us you can't prove that the Spaghetti Monster is your god...
Nor can you, by using the scientific method, disprove the existence of God. Now I'm officially hungry for spaghetti. Thank you very much, atheists.

Level 9

Gobekli Tepe

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
That is an incredibly simple-minded stance. The Bible was written by many people with different motives over a long period of time. It doesn't stand or fall as a unit. Even the individual units have been reworked so many times that the original texts have no relation to the modern ones. Nonetheless, there will be historical references that are correct mixed in with the legends and outright fabrications.
<quoted text>
Why not? Some parts could be perfectly reliable and other quite poor in their veracity. The same thing happens with all ancient historical texts.
Yes you are right, but it seems to me that a book that was God inspired wouldn't have any mistakes. Would you agree?

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't say that all people are bad. And I don't say that you just have to go to bad neighborhoods to witness badness.
I just say that bad times turns just about everyone bad. Goodness is limited to acts that don't betray one's status in a community. Being "the Man" or being "a snitch" can equally make you a victim in any particular community depending on how others perceive you, while being a penniless bum can leave you unmolested in some places and make you a pestilence in others.
I'd like to think that I've played different roles in different places. For the most part, I've found that people liked me the most when I was a soldier who could protect them or an established person who could pay their bills. The important thing is that I didn't see many people who thought about the long term.
Without a long term plan, most gestures are fairly empty and low-budget. I stopped living my life around peoples coupon-clipping social values long ago. Coupons won't buy groceries if you still don't have enough cash to be a player. People turn very ugly when they suddenly find that they have nothing but coupons, metaphorically speaking. Be careful in those dark times. Nobody sees them coming.
Sorry, but bad times are when people with good morals shine the brightest., they do not turn just about everyone bad.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yes, i'm sure that;s all you could get...

just more evidence of the made up nature of the cults.
Hahahaha You are a funny one. I'm not in a cult. I'm not brainwashed. I haven't drank the kool aid. I simply have an opinion contrary to your own. One of which you cannot disprove using the scientific method. Feel free to insult me all you want if it makes you feel better about yourself. Your opinion of me, or my faith as a theist, matters nothing to me. It's the arrogance with which you so easily pass judgement upon anything and everything that contradicts your own opinion of the world that offends. Pretty brazen of someone who can't even use the scientific method to disprove the very God they claim doesn't exist in the first place if you ask me.

Level 9

Gobekli Tepe

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
So are you admitting the Bible is an ancient historical text? What about the Talmud or the Midrash? They contain historical accounts as well. Do you dispute them as being accurate? Or are you going to pick and choose with that as well?
The Talmud contains the opinions of thousands of rabbis on a variety of subjects, including law, ethics, philosophy, customs, history, theology, lore and many other topics.

Midrash is a way of interpreting biblical stories that goes beyond simple distillation of religious, legal, or moral teachings. It fills in many gaps left in the biblical narrative regarding events and personalities that are only hinted at.

The original purpose of midrash was to resolve problems in the interpretation of difficult passages of the text of the Hebrew Bible, using Rabbinic principles of hermeneutics and philology to align them with the religious and ethical values of religious teachers. This method of interpretation was eventually expanded "to provide scriptural pretexts to justify oral tradition".

The Talmud and the Midrash are known man made works.

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Hahahaha You are a funny one. I'm not in a cult. I'm not brainwashed. I haven't drank the kool aid. I simply have an opinion contrary to your own. One of which you cannot disprove using the scientific method. Feel free to insult me all you want if it makes you feel better about yourself. Your opinion of me, or my faith as a theist, matters nothing to me. It's the arrogance with which you so easily pass judgement upon anything and everything that contradicts your own opinion of the world that offends. Pretty brazen of someone who can't even use the scientific method to disprove the very God they claim doesn't exist in the first place if you ask me.
when did I insult you? i in no way attempted to disprive god, as yu have found out, that is impossible. yet all the evidence shows it to be a man-made myth. that is all that can be said about that cult.

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Again you claim the Spaghetti monster doesn't exist, yet where is your proof? seems a tad hypocritical of you doesn't it?

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Nor can you, by using the scientific method, disprove the existence of God. Now I'm officially hungry for spaghetti. Thank you very much, atheists.
that is the power of the Pasta god working within you! you cannot deny his power.
Religion of Evolution

Hammonton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

It happened. I know you're sure of it. Randomness just kept creating complexity until it wasn't random anymore. Like it was intelligent or something.

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Religion of Evolution wrote:
It happened. I know you're sure of it. Randomness just kept creating complexity until it wasn't random anymore. Like it was intelligent or something.
No, no reason to see any intelligence in how the universe formed.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Religion of Evolution wrote:
Nope, wrong. That is not what the theory of evolution states. You cannot debunk what you do not understand.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>The Talmud contains the opinions of thousands of rabbis on a variety of subjects, including law, ethics, philosophy, customs, history, theology, lore and many other topics.

Midrash is a way of interpreting biblical stories that goes beyond simple distillation of religious, legal, or moral teachings. It fills in many gaps left in the biblical narrative regarding events and personalities that are only hinted at.

The original purpose of midrash was to resolve problems in the interpretation of difficult passages of the text of the Hebrew Bible, using Rabbinic principles of hermeneutics and philology to align them with the religious and ethical values of religious teachers. This method of interpretation was eventually expanded "to provide scriptural pretexts to justify oral tradition".

The Talmud and the Midrash are known man made works.
Yet you don't question their historical relevance. Question their teachings all you want. This still doesn't disprove the existence of God.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>when did I insult you? i in no way attempted to disprive god, as yu have found out, that is impossible. yet all the evidence shows it to be a man-made myth. that is all that can be said about that cult.
Cult? There goes that word again. Much more can be said if one would only listen. You only see what you wanna see though. No matter. The existence of God can neither be proven or disproven using the scientific method so formulate your own opinions as you wish. However, don't condemn me for having my own. For in doing so, you haven't a pot to piss in.

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet you don't question their historical relevance. Question their teachings all you want. This still doesn't disprove the existence of God.
tought o disprove a myth. can you disprove the Easter bunny? why not. so you are saying the easter bunny exists?

see how silly your un-argument is?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••