Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Comments (Page 3,606)

Showing posts 72,101 - 72,120 of111,639
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> You or any one else can not right off the Exodus accounts of Moses and the Israelites from the land of Egypt, i think, there were some truth there, they can not just fabricate such a story.
Remember, this is a story between two existing nations.
Yet a fabrication is appears to be. Based on the, you know, evidence. Or lack there of.

Level 8

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Stinking defeat and defeat, are truly not really the same. The defeat were really beyond their imaginations, to avoid that, they decided not to put down the story.
Think, why the Egyptians and not any other nations?
What???

Level 8

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
SCREW the tenth commandment!!!
>:-(
I can haz Cheezburger?

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>Most don't. Most are like me and demand evidence.

Do you have any? No.
Hmm. SZ babbling BS again. Go figure.

"According to a survey of members of the American Assn. for the Advancement of Science, conducted by the Pew Research Center in May and June this year, a majority of scientists (51%) say they believe in God or a higher power, while 41% say they do not."

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text>A question for you.
If truly we christians are liars, why after a century of your so called enlightenment, you guys are still in the minority?
You're giving them too much credit
Minority! They barely exist!

The CIA World Factbook gives the world population as 7,021,836,029 (July 2012 est.) and the distribution of religions as Christian 33.35%(of which Roman Catholic 16.83%, Protestant 6.08%, Orthodox 4.03%, Anglican 1.26%), Muslim 22.43%, Hindu 13.78%, Buddhist 7.13%, Sikh 0.36%, Jewish 0.21%, Baha'i 0.11%, other religions 11.17%, atheists 2.04%.

"Posted earlier by derek4

Study: Atheists Have Lowest 'Retention Rate' Compared to Religious Groups

Only about 30 percent of those who grow up in an atheist household remain atheists as adults. This "retention rate" was the lowest among the 20 separate categories in the study.

There were 1,387 atheists (weighted) in the survey. Four-hundred thirty-two weighted respondents said they were raised atheist. Of those, 131 self-identified as atheist.

Continued:

Gray also noted that, "of those raised as atheists, 30% are now affiliated with a Protestant denomination, 10% are Catholic, 2% are Jewish, 1% are Mormon, and 1% are Pagan."

Jehovah's Witness, congregationalist and holiness churches had the next lowest retention rates at 37 percent, 37 percent and 32 percent, respectively. Thirty-eight percent of those who grew up with no particular religious faith or belief system remained that way.

Hindus had the highest retention rate at 84 percent, followed by Jews (76 percent), Muslims (76 percent), Greek Orthodox (73 percent), Mormons (70 percent) and Catholics (68 percent).

Baptists had the highest retention rate of the Protestant Christian categories at 60 percent, followed by Lutheran (59 percent) and Pentecostal (50 percent).

http://www.christianpost.com/news/study-athei...

[Right; NO thinking people don't want to be atheists.]

July, 2012

“Atheists abandon their beliefs more often than people in other religious groups, study finds”

A new study has found that people raised in an atheist home abandon those beliefs as adults more often than people raised with other religious belief systems, putting atheism at a 30 percent retention rate. Conclusions and interpretations of the study are that atheists are more often "made" as adults rather than "raised." The highest retention rates are in the Hindu faith, which holds onto about 84 percent of adherents.

Those who grow up in an atheist household are least likely to maintain their beliefs about religion as adults, according to a study by Georgetown University's Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate (CARA).

Only about 30 percent of those who grow up in an atheist household remain atheists as adults. This "retention rate" was the lowest among the 20 separate categories in the study.

There were 1,387 atheists (weighted) in the survey. Four-hundred thirty-two weighted respondents said they were raised atheist. Of those, 131 self-identified as atheist.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765589392/...

[Who would want to be an atheist? LOL]"
anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

Humanoid wrote:
<quoted text>If a human baby is raised by monkeys, the human will act like a monkey....correct? If a child is raised by wolves, the child will act like a wolf.....agreed? A child learns a religion, it will live that religion......so true? See, monkey see, monkey do. A human is a product of its environment. It adapts to survive or it dies. Religion warps reality....its a survival mechanism, formed out of fear..........they are out there.
I prefer to call it a pathological lie. Religion is a set of lies produced by a culture that they understand intuitively, while others only get a simple story recommending personal sacrifice that will never be rewarded. Religion IS bigotry. No other interpretation even comes close.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>It's more like my style of guitar-picking, I keep playing the same chourds over and over again and I have hurt myself with that.:)
Well, I don't think you'll be labeled an artist anytime soon.

Still sounds like a Caucasian flavor of bigotry to me. Gibberish, invented to obfuscate at best, but possibly a mental disorder.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
You're giving them too much credit
Minority! They barely exist!
The CIA World Factbook gives the world population as 7,021,836,029 (July 2012 est.) and the distribution of religions as Christian 33.35%(of which Roman Catholic 16.83%, Protestant 6.08%, Orthodox 4.03%, Anglican 1.26%), Muslim 22.43%, Hindu 13.78%, Buddhist 7.13%, Sikh 0.36%, Jewish 0.21%, Baha'i 0.11%, other religions 11.17%, atheists 2.04%.
"Posted earlier by derek4
Study: Atheists Have Lowest 'Retention Rate' Compared to Religious Groups
Continued:
Gray also noted that, "of those raised as atheists, 30% are now affiliated with a Protestant denomination, 10% are Catholic, 2% are Jewish, 1% are Mormon, and 1% are Pagan."
Jehovah's Witness, congregationalist and holiness churches had the next lowest retention rates at 37 percent, 37 percent and 32 percent, respectively. Thirty-eight percent of those who grew up with no particular religious faith or belief system remained that way.
Hindus had the highest retention rate at 84 percent, followed by Jews (76 percent), Muslims (76 percent), Greek Orthodox (73 percent), Mormons (70 percent) and Catholics (68 percent).
Baptists had the highest retention rate of the Protestant Christian categories at 60 percent, followed by Lutheran (59 percent) and Pentecostal (50 percent).
http://www.christianpost.com/news/study-athei...
[Right; NO thinking people don't want to be atheists.]
July, 2012
“Atheists abandon their beliefs more often than people in other religious groups, study finds”
A new study has found that people raised in an atheist home abandon those beliefs as adults more often than people raised with other religious belief systems, putting atheism at a 30 percent retention rate. Conclusions and interpretations of the study are that atheists are more often "made" as adults rather than "raised." The highest retention rates are in the Hindu faith, which holds onto about 84 percent of adherents.
Those who grow up in an atheist household are least likely to maintain their beliefs about religion as adults, according to a study by Georgetown University's Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate (CARA).
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765589392/...
[Who would want to be an atheist? LOL]"
Most recent polls show the number of non-believers in the US to be far far higher than 2%...

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
CYBELE with hindsight and taking a look at the page, i urgently suggest you take a look at wiki for a better explanation of the higgs-boson.(shock and all that god-particles brrr)
I still go for Geons.
How is higgs-boson different from prime matter?

here's a 3 min explanation of prime matter that make up the element hydrogen

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
How is higgs-boson different from prime matter?
here's a 3 min explanation of prime matter that make up the element hydrogen
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Do we know this prome matter exists? how?

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Do we know this prome matter exists? how?
The theory makes sense considering hydrogen is the lightest and simplest element and the most abundant in the universe. Hydrogen bond is critical in overall stability of DNA. So it's a key to life creation.

"Hydrogen is a chemical element. Its atomic number is 1, which makes it the simplest, known element in the entire universe.[4] Hydrogen is the true primordial substance, the first atom produced after the big bang. All chemical elements were formed from hydrogen by the processes of nuclear fusion." - wiki

Level 8

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Speaking of that goddamn particle:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/18/us-...

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
The theory makes sense considering hydrogen is the lightest and simplest element and the most abundant in the universe. Hydrogen bond is critical in overall stability of DNA. So it's a key to life creation.
"Hydrogen is a chemical element. Its atomic number is 1, which makes it the simplest, known element in the entire universe.[4] Hydrogen is the true primordial substance, the first atom produced after the big bang. All chemical elements were formed from hydrogen by the processes of nuclear fusion." - wiki
Again, do we know that this prime matter exists? is it just another theory like dark matter?

Most things i have read suggest that hydrogen was not the only element to come out of the cooling universe. other light elements were there also.

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Again, do we know that this prime matter exists? is it just another theory like dark matter?
Most things i have read suggest that hydrogen was not the only element to come out of the cooling universe. other light elements were there also.
Other elements were there but hydrogen was produced first. Do you know how other elements were formed? Hydrogen has one electron and one proton and the other elements have combination of electrons and protons and neutrons.

from yahoo:

The more gas there is, the higher the compression, and the hotter it gets. A star is a mass of trillions of tonnes of gas that has contracted till it has heated up to billions of degrees. The compression and temperature is so great, that atoms of hydrogen are fused together to form helium.

When the hydrogen is all fused, then further compression will cause the helium to fuse to form other elements. Elements hydrogen, helium, lithium, berrberylliumon and carbon are formed in this way.

Elements more complex than carbon cannot be fused in a star - it takes the massive energy of an exploding star to form the other elements of which the earth (and us) is composed. We are therefore composed in part from stardust of an exploding star.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Other elements were there but hydrogen was produced first. Do you know how other elements were formed? Hydrogen has one electron and one proton and the other elements have combination of electrons and protons and neutrons.
from yahoo:
The more gas there is, the higher the compression, and the hotter it gets. A star is a mass of trillions of tonnes of gas that has contracted till it has heated up to billions of degrees. The compression and temperature is so great, that atoms of hydrogen are fused together to form helium.
When the hydrogen is all fused, then further compression will cause the helium to fuse to form other elements. Elements hydrogen, helium, lithium, berrberylliumon and carbon are formed in this way.
Elements more complex than carbon cannot be fused in a star - it takes the massive energy of an exploding star to form the other elements of which the earth (and us) is composed. We are therefore composed in part from stardust of an exploding star.
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com
yeah, yeah...I took 7th grade science class. again, how does anyone know this prime matter exists.

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

MikeF wrote:
Speaking of that goddamn particle:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/18/us-...
First if a massive asteroid hits Earth, we're doomed especially if it hits a nuclear plant. And when Earth is gone, it will affect the moon and it will affect the other planets. It will affect our solar system and the sun will die out like death of stars and galaxies. But I don't think it would be the end of the universe. The universe will continue to exist. But it will be different.

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yeah, yeah...I took 7th grade science class. again, how does anyone know this prime matter exists.
just like how we think the higgs-boson exists

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmm. SZ babbling BS again. Go figure.
"According to a survey of members of the American Assn. for the Advancement of Science, conducted by the Pew Research Center in May and June this year, a majority of scientists (51%) say they believe in God or a higher power, while 41% say they do not."
If you want to make a point about me you should have quoted me. So what are you trying to refute with this post? There are all kinds of scientists. Physicists have a higher percentage of atheists than chemists. And believing in God does not mean that you do not believe the theory of evolution.

So I seriously don't think you made a point since you forgot to quote properly.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

I see that Langoliers is misreading the PEW poll. Yes, atheism does have a higher percentage that leave it than religions do. Yet it is growing faster than religions according to the PEW poll too. How could that be?
And the fact that Atheism is growing faster than religions is the critical number. One of the reason that atheism loses people is that many people do get tired when fighting the majority. Since atheism is growing faster than religion that will not always be a problem.

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
just like how we think the higgs-boson exists
But we have actually created the higgs boson. has anyone ever created any prime matter that can be detected?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 72,101 - 72,120 of111,639
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••