Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.
Comments
70,981 - 71,000 of 115,245 Comments Last updated 10 min ago

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#75441 Feb 12, 2013
people in short will always be slightly annoyed with the answer that without space-time there is no concept of before.

Even I...what about the hole in the cosmic background radiation! I'll bet that is the most studied place right now.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#75442 Feb 12, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm still waiting for a definition.
But even if we say no space-time and then poof vavoom, the question would still be what there was before.
Everything! there was never nothing, as far as we know. that is the first clue that someone has no idea that they know anyuthing about the current big bang theory.(outside the TV show)...

what was in the singularity was not nothing, but in fact everything. it just expanded.

St. Croix valley

#75443 Feb 12, 2013
MAAT wrote:
people in short will always be slightly annoyed with the answer that without space-time there is no concept of before.
Even I...what about the hole in the cosmic background radiation! I'll bet that is the most studied place right now.
how 'bout the hole in cell phone coverage that seems to vbe just at my house?!?

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#75444 Feb 12, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, no. it is not random what s/he was saying. exactly the opposite.
we evolved to fit the universe we are in. that is exactly the non-random cause-effect you are talking about.
"And for the people who scoff at the possibility of all this around us being random chance.
So what!!"

I was replying to this statement that he/she posted...pay attention.

Level 5

Location hidden

#75445 Feb 12, 2013
The question could be what happened in that miniscule time between zilch and 10^-34 second, or what happened after the hot phase when we had a cool phase before anything formed.
Usually left out of simulations.
And after that it took a good while before everything accelerated. And that is interesting as well.
The cool phace would be the object of speculations, since the cosmic microwave (hot mainly) background radiation forms a barrier.

Level 5

Location hidden

#75446 Feb 12, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>how 'bout the hole in cell phone coverage that seems to vbe just at my house?!?
And the hole in my server-service.

Way understudied. Strictly amateur attempts.

St. Croix valley

#75447 Feb 12, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
"And for the people who scoff at the possibility of all this around us being random chance.
So what!!"
I was replying to this statement that he/she posted...pay attention.
perhaps i misunderstood your post. It has happened before. i apologize if I did.

Location hidden

#75448 Feb 12, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, no. it is not random what s/he was saying. exactly the opposite.
we evolved to fit the universe we are in. that is exactly the non-random cause-effect you are talking about.
Besides, if everything "evolved" to it's environment, everything would basically be the same....

example: all insects would be pretty much be Identical under the same environmental factors...but it's clearly not the case.

St. Croix valley

#75449 Feb 12, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Besides, if everything "evolved" to it's environment, everything would basically be the same....
example: all insects would be pretty much be Identical under the same environmental factors...but it's clearly not the case.
but there are not the same environmental factors everywhere, so we had many kinds of insects evolve, and we had many kinds of life evolve in one area. insects are cool in that they can move, and adapt to the new environment they move into. perhapse you have heard the term exotic species bandied about of late?

sheesh!

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#75450 Feb 12, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Good grief.
Yes, hydrogen is the simplest element, and the lightest because of that.
It's commonest because of that, too.
And, as you might not know, its formation is fairly well documented at about T0 +400,000.
Good grief.

You have an actual theory? Or do you think the string theory can give you some insight.

St. Croix valley

#75451 Feb 12, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
you do have a small point, all the insects in my neck of the woods have evolved to be able to withstand winters up to -35f.

insects in the south have not such evolutionary trait.

St. Croix valley

#75452 Feb 12, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Which environment did the Monarch butterfly adapt to, the mexican environment, or the all the rest of N. America where they reside?
Alien Outlaw

Kansas City, MO

#75453 Feb 12, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
How can an adult living in the 21st Century believe the creation myth in the buy-bull? It's clearly absurd. There were day and night, as well as growing plants before there was a sun. Eve was made from Adam's rib. Eve would have had the same DNA Adam did. Eve would have been a man.
I can see how ignorant Bronze Age goat herders believed that stuff, but come on people...THINK!
Rose what is your belief concerning human existence?

St. Croix valley

#75454 Feb 12, 2013
Alien Outlaw wrote:
<quoted text>Rose what is your belief concerning human existence?
She is for it!

Location hidden

#75455 Feb 12, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>but there are not the same environmental factors everywhere, so we had many kinds of insects evolve, and we had many kinds of life evolve in one area. insects are cool in that they can move, and adapt to the new environment they move into. perhapse you have heard the term exotic species bandied about of late?
sheesh!
and again, that's not what I said...every insect living, lets say in the amazon rain forest, would be living in more or less under the same environmental factors...so by evolutionary standards, they should pretty much develop the same, in accordance with the environmental factors present...but the sheer diversity implies otherwise.

Level 5

Location hidden

#75456 Feb 12, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
How can an adult living in the 21st Century believe the creation myth in the buy-bull? It's clearly absurd. There were day and night, as well as growing plants before there was a sun. Eve was made from Adam's rib. Eve would have had the same DNA Adam did. Eve would have been a man.
I can see how ignorant Bronze Age goat herders believed that stuff, but come on people...THINK!
;] liked your entry, the outfit and timing particularly.
The thing is that they would read fertile soil and broad/wide birth and in most myths some castration and lots of red blood and spermwaving is bound to follow. Agricultural seasonal myths.
The golden bow. Robert Graves (? not entirely sure of the name) is an exhaustive source.
The hebrew one (with another that i forgot)aims to give a lesson about responsibility. But the proto human names the concepts that he will be responsible for, but he's not equal to god. Even thogh they share responsibility. Eve however eats and then adam so they become co-life-fillers. A helper, all are. Now they also experience the consequences. A retro-stories to try and explain how we came to be. And why at that perticular place. But and that sets them apart with a moral leson about responsibility.(not sex or guilt. They sexed alover theplace with no idea that anything waswrong about that before they became awareof consequences and in reflection thought different about their unconscionable* acts.)
* pfft navigated that cliff in one go. I admit i sometimes change entire sentences just because i can't figure out the spelling.

But yes it stays very strange this salience directed to literal interpretation.

St. Croix valley

#75457 Feb 12, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
and again, that's not what I said...every insect living, lets say in the amazon rain forest, would be living in more or less under the same environmental factors...so by evolutionary standards, they should pretty much develop the same, in accordance with the environmental factors present...but the sheer diversity implies otherwise.
hardly, the insects that live in the canopy have a far, far different environment than those that live on the floor or near the floor. or in the ground.

and then, of vcourse, there is the fact that insects move fronm one area to another and adapt to that area.

face it, you gave it a shot and fell flat on your face.

try science next time.

Level 5

Location hidden

#75458 Feb 12, 2013
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3623
Sir George James Frazer.
The golden Bough.
Free e-book, you can read it online.
Alien Outlaw

Kansas City, MO

#75459 Feb 12, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>She is for it!
It? Tinman

St. Croix valley

#75461 Feb 12, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
they do all evolve to withstand the heat. and the humidity. see how this works? all the insect here evolved to withstand a dormant period or eggs that can withstand the winter.
science is fun!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 17 min macumazahn 136,267
Should evolution be taught in high school? (Feb '08) 43 min MikeF 172,521
Genetic 'Adam' and 'Eve' Uncovered - live science (Sep '13) 57 min TurkanaBoy 317
Evolution Theory Facing Crisis 1 hr TurkanaBoy 208
Science News (Sep '13) Thu positronium 2,848
The Satanic Character of Social Darwinism Aug 27 Zog Has-fallen 343
Natural Selection Not The Only Process That Dri... (Jan '14) Aug 25 reMAAT 20
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••