Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.
Comments
65,161 - 65,180 of 114,913 Comments Last updated 4 min ago
anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a different matter entirely. The wiki gives a pretty good description so I won't repeat that part.
Let's take something we all know on here well enough, I will refrain from referencing specific persons or posts though:
Take someone who is overly sexual, either because that's how they are or because they have been brainwashed into thinking that's how they should be. The brainwashing version is actually quite typical of women in the US, they like to fill our heads with this "women should be sensual" bull and give us "baby" dolls as young girls to enforce it.
So they become overly sexual and deep down feel shame for that as well, a side effect of religious doctrine. Thus they over sexualize everything, to them everything has to be about sex because that's all they believe they should think about, but they struggle with the "teaching" that it's wrong to think about it so they feel guilty in some way.
Along comes someone who shows no sexual urges, no drive at all, so they try to find anything they can to call sexual, even when there is nothing sexual about it, as a way to say, in their mind, "that person likes sex a lot so I must be 'normal'." Even though outwardly they'll say things like "that's a sin and you should be ashamed of it." I also call it "forced common ground," because they are trying to bridge a gap that's not even there by using their own traits completely ignoring any possibility that the other person has different traits.
I hope I explained it well and didn't ramble too much. Psychology is a fascinating subject, and seeing such a strong case of any psychological trait in a single person spikes my interest in them.
<cont>

I think it's characteristically Caucasian to respond defensively in complex social conditions. That doesn't mean they are paranoid. They just find everything to be an intuitive problem that will work itself out in the end. Well, at least in the U.S., that creates enough negative feedback over time that it creates more problems than it solves.

Personally, I think most people are riding a metaphorical horse that they fear will throw them. It really doesn't matter what they say or do. It's just the fear of the moment. I can't claim to have a solution other than to say what most therapists would say: "First, you have to WANT to get better."
Dozerman

Danville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Natural processes, of course.
No need at all for magic ones.
ok so what started the natural process were did it come from i mean if humans evolved from chimps or whatever were did the the chimp come from and why are they not still evolving
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Time and Space wrote:
'God' simply being used as a generic term for higher beings...for the sake of this discussion...
Still don't care about them freekin aliens.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe in marriage. period. I don't know why women fantasize about this fairy tale of meeting their prince charles. I'm not into that thing.
Don't blame ya. I mean Prince Charles, come on...

:-/
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I think Queen Victoria might have said:
"We are not amused!"
Ah, well...

Dozerman

Danville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
It started on Earth once Earth had life.
<quoted text>
The chemicals present on Earth were the result of Earth's formation from the proto-planetary disk, plus anything that hit the Earth later on, such as asteroids or comets.
if you say so. the question remains where did the chemicals,asteroids,comets come from. let me guess another form of chemical or dust. it all started somewhere everything comes from something they don't just appear
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>Well, that escalated quickly!
I think marriage is an oath that is best enforced by the religious community, not the state. Let the state deal with the legal complications, whether in a civil union or a marriage. Let the state stay out of the morality issue and the religious endorsement of the conditions of a marriage.
The gays can't tell the church to marry them. The state can't wave a wand, demanding that churches recognize state marriages. Nobody gets tax breaks or inheritance breaks for marriage and no legal segue for turning gay marriage into affirmative action or hate crime laws. Makes sense yet?
Churches aren't necessary for marriage. State doesn't have to give a fig about any morality issue, it just needs to legally recognise the marriage and whatever legal benefits/detriments that go with them. Religion only enters in to play if those who are getting married give a fig about religion. Then they can work out all the religious details to their hearts content.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Dozerman wrote:
<quoted text> ok so what started the natural process were did it come from i mean if humans evolved from chimps or whatever were did the the chimp come from and why are they not still evolving
(sigh)

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Tenerife

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Dozerman wrote:
<quoted text> ok so what started the natural process were did it come from i mean if humans evolved from chimps or whatever were did the the chimp come from and why are they not still evolving
A long time ago our DNA threw out an anomalous gene that had two parts joined and we ended up with 46 chromosomes instead of 48 like the chimps and great apes. That along with our hox p2 gene and hyiod bone that is necessary for speech and here we are.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Churches aren't necessary for marriage. State doesn't have to give a fig about any morality issue, it just needs to legally recognise the marriage and whatever legal benefits/detriments that go with them. Religion only enters in to play if those who are getting married give a fig about religion. Then they can work out all the religious details to their hearts content.
That's a stealth tactic to begin with. Recognizing gay marriage implies that you recognize homosexuality as normal behavior. That leads to the hate crime laws, the Affirmative Action agenda, and all of the silly things that the state doesn't want to get tied up with, like dealing with like unwanted advances, and so on.

The state should provide civil unions that have no bearing on sexual relationships. That's it.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a stealth tactic to begin with.
Nope, just a recognition of equal rights without religious interference. Of course those who WANT religious interference still have that choice.
anonymous wrote:
Recognizing gay marriage implies that you recognize homosexuality as normal behavior.
It occurs in human communities, it occurs in animal communities. Hence, normal.
anonymous wrote:
That leads to the hate crime laws, the Affirmative Action agenda, and all of the silly things that the state doesn't want to get tied up with, like dealing with like unwanted advances, and so on.
If you don't wanna be hit on by a gay man just tell him. If you don't wanna be hit on by a black person just tell them. If you don't wanna be hit on by a woman just tell her. Any potentially illegal responses from either party are dealt with in the normal way.

Note how your concerns are just as equally addressed whether we're talking about homosexuals, blacks or women.
anonymous wrote:
The state should provide civil unions that have no bearing on sexual relationships. That's it.
And marriages that have no bearing on sexual relationships. Girl/guy? Same marriage laws. Guy/guy? Same marriage laws. Girl/girl? Same marriage laws. Black/white? Same marriage laws. Simples. The only reason NOT to allow this to happen is a desire to impose unequal restrictions on a particular group. This is very potentially unConstitutional.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Even atheists marry.
anonymous wrote:
Or they can have a civil union.
Not and still be assured of being treated legally the same as married couples.

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Dozerman wrote:
it all started somewhere everything comes from something they don't just appear
At this point, the evidence allows us to push back the history of the Universe to the hot dense state that preceded the Big Bang. More than that, we can say only "We don't yet know". It certainly doesn't allow us to conclude "It was poofed into existence magically by a god".

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

anonymous wrote:
Recognizing gay marriage implies that you recognize homosexuality as normal behavior.
It *is* normal behavior, for gay individuals.
TheIndependentMa jority

Hazard, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
I need gay sex! Will he fill that need for me? Or just more of that placebo nonsense?
I need sunshine, but hey you know...there are days, where there sure isn't much.

And sometimes on those types of days, Lord give me strength!
anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, just a recognition of equal rights without religious interference. Of course those who WANT religious interference still have that choice.
<quoted text>
It occurs in human communities, it occurs in animal communities. Hence, normal.
<quoted text>
If you don't wanna be hit on by a gay man just tell him. If you don't wanna be hit on by a black person just tell them. If you don't wanna be hit on by a woman just tell her. Any potentially illegal responses from either party are dealt with in the normal way.
Note how your concerns are just as equally addressed whether we're talking about homosexuals, blacks or women.
<quoted text>
And marriages that have no bearing on sexual relationships. Girl/guy? Same marriage laws. Guy/guy? Same marriage laws. Girl/girl? Same marriage laws. Black/white? Same marriage laws. Simples. The only reason NOT to allow this to happen is a desire to impose unequal restrictions on a particular group. This is very potentially unConstitutional.
Now you're being simple. Blacks and women are not being denied marriage nor do they have any interest in hitting on me. Blacks and women are what they are by genetics. What is the recognition and what is the religious interference that you talk about? It sounds rhetorical, not real.

If gays want the government to dictate to churches, that's wrong. They can always make their own church. The recognition isn't morality, it's a legal prejudice. It's recognition with a money angle, as all politics is. I'm not lifting a finger to help them blockade my political agendas or harass me with legal vigilantism.

I suppose you haven't ever worked in government and seen how people abuse discrimination laws either. Social engineering is a sloppy, last-chance effort to prevent riots at best. At worst, it buries the problems until they blow up in everyone's face.

I have a sister who ran on and on about how bad ol' business didn't hire minorities. We were at a scientist convention of hers and I asked her why no minorities (OK, mostly Blacks, and in Washington DC, 80% or so Black!) were in attendance. She blamed it on bad ol' business and wasn't even slightly interested in the fact that these were all university eggheads who probably never punched a clock off-campus in their entire lives!

The social problems are EVERYONE'S problems. You can't cherry pick the ones that fit your political pose and toss out the rest. Get rid of the tax breaks for married people and the inheritance breaks. See if anyone cares about recognition when you've eliminated the prejudicial treatment that married people get in their favor.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Drew Smith wrote:
Even atheists marry.
<quoted text>
Then that should change, but not just for gays, and not to the detriment of single, tax paying citizens.

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

anonymous wrote:
Then that should change, but not just for gays, and not to the detriment of single, tax paying citizens.
And the legal recognition of marriage is detrimental to single, tax-paying citizens how, exactly?
rushlimbaughdotm e

Titusville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

www.rushlimbaugh.me
get your very own rush limbaugh email address

yourname@RushLimbaugh.me

get yours today

write on the Rush Limbaugh Forum and more!

www.rushlimbaugh.me
anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
It *is* normal behavior, for gay individuals.
....Who make up a minute portion of the population. Most estimates, about 1 or 2 percent, liberals always claim about 7 percent and gays think Lincoln was gay. I don't have time to waste on the statistics.

Normal is also biological normal, where sex is about reproduction. Anything else, is your personal thrill and not anything that the state needs to protect.

Our Constitution allows people to pursue happiness. It doesn't guarantee happiness. At what point do we pack it all in on freedom and wad everything up into a ball do be dispersed in quotas? If that's your idea of government, have at it. Most of us are willing to give freedom a chance as long as we really are getting that chance. Quotas aren't freedom and they aren't a chance to improve one's place in the world.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 4 min TurkanaBoy 136,204
Should evolution be taught in high school? (Feb '08) 1 hr polymath257 172,480
Evolution Theory Facing Crisis 1 hr TedHOhio 165
Genetic 'Adam' and 'Eve' Uncovered - live science (Sep '13) 2 hr ChristineM 288
Science News (Sep '13) 2 hr Ricky F 2,847
The Satanic Character of Social Darwinism 23 hr Zog Has-fallen 343
Natural Selection Not The Only Process That Dri... (Jan '14) Aug 25 reMAAT 20
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••