Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.
Comments
59,661 - 59,680 of 112,833 Comments Last updated 24 min ago
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Honestly I prefer genetically engineered fruits. But from time to time I buy organic foods.
I'm talking about HUMAN genetic engineering or even cloning. I actually support stem cell research.
Interesting stuff, if ethics keep it in proper scope, because the one thing science has NOT been able to master, is the alteration of time. What already is an existance, already is, therefore any attempts of pristine original recreation, is theoretically, genetically impossible.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible has the following either implied or stated as fact:
Our universe was spoken into existence out of nothing…by a floaty thing in the sky
Plants were created before the sun was.
The first man was created from dust.
The first woman was made from a rib taken from the first man.(we both have the same number of ribs however)
They are in a garden that has ‘magic’ fruit, to make people live forever and be smart.
There is a talking snake.(did it have legs I wonder)
Incest was used to jump start the population.
There are Angels…good and bad…and demons.
There are giants and Unicorns.
There are witches, wizards and magicians.
There are bad Angels that rape human women.
Human pregnancy/reproduction is possible with no human father.(just like some of the other gods around the time of Jesus).
People can rise from the grave and walk the streets.(Zombies anyone?)
People live as long as 900+ years.
Dinosaurs and people lived together.
God commits genocide by flooding the earth and only saving 8 humans.(apparently the thought of just starting completely over never occurred to Him).
God makes the Sun stay in the sky so a human battle can be completed.
There is a talking, burning bush somewhere in the mountains of the Sinai desert.
There is a talking donkey.
People (other than Moses) can change wooden staffs into live snakes.
A man sees Jesus in a beam of light…and all of Jesus’ thoughts and wishes are downloaded to him.(Hollywood Blvd. anybody?).
There is a man that lives inside a fish for 3 days.
Insects are said to have 4 legs (would a God REALLY be this stupid??).
The cure for leprosy is dove blood sprinkled on the toes (REALLY??)
If you position mating livestock in front of a stripped stick, they will produce stripped offspring.
Today we can actually disprove most of these Biblical assertions/stories.
Yeah, christianity is real logical bud
Check out some of the latest, MUCH more modern secular books some time--

For example, oh..one something like- the History of Israel and Judea.

Been a lot warring over there-just like some of those ancient books say---for a LONG long time!!

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

So do you want to debate or is nonsense all you have?

Of course it is impossible for a creationist to win a scientific debate about evolution.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Bat Foy wrote:
Kitten I brought pi 3.14159265359
how golden of you lol
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Subduction Zone wrote:
So do you want to debate or is nonsense all you have?
Of course it is impossible for a creationist to win a scientific debate about evolution.
Ever hear of the
'duhm as rocks" theory?

Telling ya---there's something to it lol

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever hear of the
'duhm as rocks" theory?
Telling ya---there's something to it lol
Great, another Idiot for Jesus is spamming the board.

Why is it illegal to teach creationism in school? Because it is only religious hokum. And people like Inde prove that claim every day.
bohart

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
... and your delusion is so deep you can't even consider just admitting something other than your nonsense book of myths is correct, or your head will go splody. You should pick up a different book once in a while, and one that written about that one book does not count as a different book, nor does picking up one of the dozen different "translations" count as different books. A different book would be something like First Grade Biology, and that would be a serious improvement in your knowledge base. You'd still be an idiot, but you'd be one tiny step closer to actually being ... educated. A whole 0.0000000000000153% percent.
Back she bitch! back putrid bar wench,back Jezebel, back to the pus filled boil on Satans ass from whence ye spewed forth to infect mankind. Return to the dark nether world where thy faith in life giving goo illuminates the pit with a sickly greenish glow creating a night light for various imps and demons which make up the audience for the cascading bile erupting from the wound under your nose.Learn more from thy mentor Srewtape before once again rising from Satans rectum to the light, and the world of man.

Since: Sep 12

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>It is one thing for an individual, or individuals to have a personal faith about the beginning of the world. I don't happen to agree with it for it flies in the face of scientific methodolgy to try to prove its message. I see no problem for christianity in parts of the bible being wrong/inaccurate, given its origins. As an historian, I certainly do not see it as a history book, it is a book of faith.

It is a totally different matter to take creationism into schools as if it was an established scientific fact. Creationists suggest it is a perfectly viable alternative to evolution and should be taught in science classrooms. It is not. It is a religious-based interpretation, not one based on correct scientific methodology. At the heart of it is the conclusion to which facts are ignored or manipulated to prove God did it. You cannot prove faith, you either believe it or you do not. No one can prove the existence of a deity, nor the lack of one. The only possible place it might have in the classroom would be in a religious education lesson, not in a science one.
While I don't disagree totally and I am in no way saying we shouldn't teach evolution nor am I saying don't teach creation.
When you have kids grade school to jr high who have been raised with parents who believe the creation story. Than a teacher tells them "no you your parents and anyone else who believes in creation is stupid we evolved" the kid is going to break one side or the other and it can drive a rift between parent and child or child to teacher. Rifts of mistrust can kill a relationship.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
While I don't disagree totally and I am in no way saying we shouldn't teach evolution nor am I saying don't teach creation.
When you have kids grade school to jr high who have been raised with parents who believe the creation story. Than a teacher tells them "no you your parents and anyone else who believes in creation is stupid we evolved" the kid is going to break one side or the other and it can drive a rift between parent and child or child to teacher. Rifts of mistrust can kill a relationship.
They should not say the parents are "stupid". They should say the parents are wrong.

What do you send your children to school for in the first place? For an education of course. Now if a parent is illiterate and cannot speak proper English does that mean you don't teach the child how to write and speak properly? Or do you simply say "We wouldn't want to drive a rift between Johnny and his parents so we are keeping him out of English class"?

It is a teacher's JOB to correct students. Part of the reason we participate in this debate is that we can show that Evolution happened. Evolution is the right answer.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, so can we assume that you are a loser?
Sorry.
<quoted text>
How about you answer some questions, girlie?
How old is the earth?
I don't degrade people who wash my car, the janitor at work or school, or my gardener. That's for idiots like you.

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting stuff, if ethics keep it in proper scope, because the one thing science has NOT been able to master, is the alteration of time. What already is an existance, already is, therefore any attempts of pristine original recreation, is theoretically, genetically impossible.
alteration of time? LOL

“I Am No One To Be Trifled With”

Level 7

Since: Jun 09

Dread Pirate Roberts

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
you know that's not what I was talking about, yet you cannot stop twisting things to make your lies seem "good" to you, you know you're wrong, you know you indoctrinate children, but your indoctrination prevents you from breaking the cycle, that's how scams perpetuate. You are redefining, that which you copied did not say "teach," it said train, you don't train humans, you train other animals, you teach humans. The two words mean something completely different, teaching is explaining things, training is behavioral condition and nothing else. Twist and turn, your lies are lies, accept it. Maybe one day you can break the indoctrination that prevents you from using your head for more than a hat-rack.
Main Entry: teach &#8194;[teech] Show IPA/tit&#643;/ Show Spelled
Part of Speech: verb
Definition: educate; instill knowledge
Synonyms: advise, brainwash*, break in, brief, catechize, coach, communicate, cram, demonstrate, develop, direct, discipline, drill, edify, enlighten, exercise, explain, expound, fit, form, give instruction, give lessons, give the facts, ground, guide, illustrate, imbue, impart, implant, improve mind, inculcate, indoctrinate, inform, initiate, instruct, interpret, lecture, nurture, open eyes, polish up, pound into, prepare, profess, rear, school, sharpen, show, show the ropes, train, tutor
Notes: learn means to acquire or gain skill, knowledge or comprehension; teach means to impart skill, knowledge or comprehension to

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tra...

transitive verb
1: trail, drag
2: to direct the growth of (a plant) usually by bending, pruning, and tying
3a : to form by instruction, discipline, or drill b : to teach so as to make fit, qualified, or proficient
4: to make prepared (as by exercise) for a test of skill
5: to aim at an object or objective : direct <trained his camera on the deer> <training every effort toward success>
intransitive verb
1: to undergo instruction, discipline, or drill

Interesting...you SURE you know your definitions?

“So it's not you, It's them?”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
So your argument is that kids with fundie parents shouldn't be taught evolution? Because it could cause a "rift" between the parents who believe in the "creation story" and their child?

Good parents who have the best interests of their child in mind, want their kid to do his or her own thinking. If that includes his or her embrace of evolution, a good parent would accept that.

Fundie parents can have their kids learn creationism at home, church, Bible camp (anywhere but at school). Are these parents "stupid"? Nah. They're just not as evolved as some others! LOL

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
As an historian, I certainly do not see it as a history book, it is a book of faith.
LOL. And you think everything in our history books are true?

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
I must say that creation is being taught and has been for centuries in the local church of your choice. To move it to the public school system would put government in charge of religious teaching. Do you really want that? It would also open table to the teaching of creation theories from any religion out there including those you or others won't agree with.

I was taught evolution in school and it was never presented as the correct alternative to "my parents religious beliefs." In fact, my parents accepted evolution and still were Christians but apparently not very good Baptists.

Level 9

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't degrade people who wash my car, the janitor at work or school, or my gardener. That's for idiots like you.
You have a gardener?

Level 9

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Chilli J wrote:
<quoted text>
So your argument is that kids with fundie parents shouldn't be taught evolution? Because it could cause a "rift" between the parents who believe in the "creation story" and their child?
Good parents who have the best interests of their child in mind, want their kid to do his or her own thinking. If that includes his or her embrace of evolution, a good parent would accept that.
Fundie parents can have their kids learn creationism at home, church, Bible camp (anywhere but at school). Are these parents "stupid"? Nah. They're just not as evolved as some others! LOL
I have got to learn to read down in these threads before posting. There is always someone that posts my sentiments in a much more inclusive and articulate manner and I find that post just after finishing mine.

Hello Chilli. Hope things are going well. Looks to be a good Christmas for me. Well for my kids anyway. Looks like you have raced away from me in points. Well done.

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>You have a gardener?
I live in Cali

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
I was under the impression blacks are black because the environment they live in is hot and they needed to be black to survive? Wouldn't that be a adapting?
The same for whites where they live is colder and so they have white skin and more hair.....like Robin Williams
It's a "linked" genetic trait, I forgot the technical term. It's linked to one that causes a resistance to something which is abundant in Africa, but rare elsewhere, So it's a bit more complicated than that, but as I said, our cultures are starting to see the mix as "beautiful" so people who have the mixed skin coloring tend to find mates more often. It started with people of one skin coloring finding those of the other more attractive, funny how society likes to deny it's lusts.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Knightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
Main Entry: teach &#8194;[teech] Show IPA/tit&#643;/ Show Spelled
Part of Speech: verb
Definition: educate; instill knowledge
Synonyms: advise, brainwash*, break in, brief, catechize, coach, communicate, cram, demonstrate, develop, direct, discipline, drill, edify, enlighten, exercise, explain, expound, fit, form, give instruction, give lessons, give the facts, ground, guide, illustrate, imbue, impart, implant, improve mind, inculcate, indoctrinate, inform, initiate, instruct, interpret, lecture, nurture, open eyes, polish up, pound into, prepare, profess, rear, school, sharpen, show, show the ropes, train, tutor
Notes: learn means to acquire or gain skill, knowledge or comprehension; teach means to impart skill, knowledge or comprehension to
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tra...
transitive verb
1: trail, drag
2: to direct the growth of (a plant) usually by bending, pruning, and tying
3a : to form by instruction, discipline, or drill b : to teach so as to make fit, qualified, or proficient
4: to make prepared (as by exercise) for a test of skill
5: to aim at an object or objective : direct <trained his camera on the deer> <training every effort toward success>
intransitive verb
1: to undergo instruction, discipline, or drill
Interesting...you SURE you know your definitions?
None of those say "teach" nor do they agree with "teach." You just want to justify indoctrination, and that is all. I bet you hit your kids too, beating them all the time, for simple mistakes I'd wager, things that are not actually mistakes.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••