Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 219629 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#57596 Nov 8, 2012
Dogen wrote:
You follow the evolution of English back far enough it is not distinguishable from the German of the same period.
English is just a name we give to a collection of words that are used today. It is not, and never has been a fixed thing. It has no origin. It has originS,... many originS.
You realize that you're attempting to explain that to a man who doesn't understand that there was no such thing as a "first human being" either?

Apparently, Charles thinks that everyone on the island of Great Britain spoke some non-English language, and suddenly, as if by magic, everyone simultaneously started speaking "English".

“When you treat people as they ”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#57597 Nov 8, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Madness. See a doctor.
You accuse others of madness after you can accuse a christian minister of who you know absolutely fuuk all of child murder – I am surprised you even have the bottle to show your face in public

Or is it that you don’t need courage when you are as deliberately ignorant as you are?

Level 1

Since: Jul 12

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#57598 Nov 8, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> And you ofcourse, can never live forever. We must all be answerable to the creator, after death.
You are confusing a physical life with a soul. Souls die with the body.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#57599 Nov 8, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text>Going by your analogy, humans gradually were/ are beginning to know their selves and the things around them, evolution sort of. But to date, death is/ are unstopable, why?
Some great wisdom in this....

I have killed the deer.

I have crushed the grasshopper.

And the plants he feeds upon.

I have taken fish from the water.

And birds from the sky.

In my life I have needed death

So that my life can be.

When I die I must give life

To what has nourished me.

The earth receives my body

And gives it to the plants

And to the caterpillars

To the birds

And to the coyotes

Each in its own turn so that

The circle of life is never broken.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#57600 Nov 8, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text>And you ofcourse, can never live forever. We must all be answerable to the creator, after death.
This is just silly. How can one answer for what the creator already knew was going to happen. The damned must answer to the creator because he is disappointed in himself?
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#57601 Nov 8, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Nature has made us finite organisms. What is so hard to understand?
He cannot understand the meaning of finite. In fact he fears it.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#57602 Nov 8, 2012
sugar star wrote:
<quoted text>and German,Erse, Danish and countless other tongues, Charles can't seem to grasp that spoken languages don't "originate" or indeed come with ownership deeds and titles they evolve through necessity and need, no one ever sat down and said, "right...not much on my plate today I think I'll invent the English language"One of the traits of "american" english is how it has tried to throw off it's roots of origin in other languages.......cheque becomes check, colour becomes color and on and on. Slang and the assimilation of native words are perhaps the most unique contributions to the evolution of the language, it's just a shame that no one says canoe or toboggan and thinks..."Hey am I talking ojibway or what??
Shush!!! I'm still trying to get my cheque for 500 off him for using my language!
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#57603 Nov 8, 2012
NikkiShae wrote:
<quoted text>
This is just silly. How can one answer for what the creator already knew was going to happen. The damned must answer to the creator because he is disappointed in himself?
Bingo.

SCP.

Level 1

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#57604 Nov 8, 2012
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Shush!!! I'm still trying to get my cheque for 500 off him for using my language!
So you're the guy!!Better write cheque the american way or you'll confuse him, well, more than usual I mean...

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Level 7

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#57605 Nov 8, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Some one with eyes and high thinking faculty, can never ask such a stupid question. Animals are animals, unlike humans. The world we are, is a human world, not animals.
Is not Pride a deadly sin?

You elevate humans above every other living creature. Why? Because the Bible tells you so?

Level 7

Nehwon

#57606 Nov 8, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Dodge?
How you against the fact that, mathematics is not a science? yes or no?
Again, man defines all disciplines or professions.
Seems that we are making progress here. You appear to be agreeing that 1 + 1 = 2 and that there's a general consensus that that is true because man defines it to be true.

And from there, we can build upon that for further agreements. 2 x 2 = 4. Multiplication is a short cut for addition.

Now compare and contrast mathematics to religion. The world can agree on math. Religion not so much.

Science is based on math and measurements the world can agree on even if they differ on the measuring. You can convert pounds to kilograms.

How can you convert Jesus as Messiah to Islam's Last Prophet?

This is why science works and religion doesn't. Scientists can get into some quite heated bickering over ideas which spawns further research.

Religion starts wars in the name of peace.

Level 7

Nehwon

#57608 Nov 8, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Grow up and stop the blindness. The bible is just one, with several version. Saul/ Paul never usurped anything.
So how is it the Letters of Saul/Paul carry a lot of significance in the New Testament?

14 of the 21 Letters are attributed to Paul. He wasn't even an Apostle. And Peter was supposed to be the Rock of the Church.

Maybe you should learn the history of the Bible and read what's actually there instead of trying to believe a fairy tale of what you've been told.

Level 7

Nehwon

#57609 Nov 8, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> The centre focus of the bible, is God.
But our two life examiners, are God and Satan.
Have you even read the Bible?

If all you ever focus in on is God/Satan, you are missing a lot. There's a ton more going on there where God and Satan are used as excuses for conflicts won or lost.

I'd love to hear your explanation of the story of Job. From your perspective, all you'd see is that Satan bet God like it was a poker game. And God won because It can stack the deck. Nevermind that God tossed Job under the bus to win the game.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#57610 Nov 8, 2012
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you even read the Bible?
If all you ever focus in on is God/Satan, you are missing a lot. There's a ton more going on there where God and Satan are used as excuses for conflicts won or lost.
I'd love to hear your explanation of the story of Job. From your perspective, all you'd see is that Satan bet God like it was a poker game. And God won because It can stack the deck. Nevermind that God tossed Job under the bus to win the game.
Consider as well that there's suppose to be a plan in all this. What kind of sadistic crackhead plans on torturing someone just on a bet?

Level 7

Nehwon

#57611 Nov 8, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
The way I see it is the US politics is divided only two ways – republican far right and the democratic far right. The fascist element comes in with religion and the majority of religious seem to be far right.
Actually much of our country would be quite willing for you to look after you own back next time you pick a fight. If you can’t look after your back then you have no cause to pick the fight. The only reason Blare had the backing to be Bush’s lapdog is because he lied to the British public about the WMD dossier. By the time the lie was uncovered then it was too late, we were committed.
As far as I remember it was the US administration who stationed the British at Basra and they did have your back covered from a great swathe of the Iranian border
Also consider that the US had 165,000 active military personnel in Iraq and the UK had 46,000.
I also seem to remember that the UK forces are playing a pretty active role in Afghanistan.
Yeah, Iraq isn't exactly one of our proudest moments in either Gulf War I (in the aftermath) or Gulf War II.

For the former, we encouraged the residents of Basra to rise up and when they did, we did nothing.

GW II was pretty much a sham from the get go for the far, far, far right wing to play emperor for a day. It's not something we should have asked for a favor from the Brits.

Afghanistan was a different story as the factions that attacked the US were there. That was a justifiable military response and I was happy that the UK would join in to help there. But then the US saw a shiny object in the Middle East...

I like that the US and UK are friends. But sometimes, when one friend is itching for a fight, you just need to let them get a bloody nose. Maybe next time they won't so eager to go looking for a fight.

Level 7

Nehwon

#57612 Nov 8, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Noise making!
French is French, English is English, etc. We can only say, dialect. But the original remains the original.
Black/White thinking detected.

It's easier to lump things into a group. Christian, Muslim, French, American, English, a species.

Things start to get muddy and confusing if you look any deeper. Say Protestant, Catholic, Eastern Orthodox Christian. Sunni, Shiite Muslim. French speakers from France, the former colonies or Quebec. And so forth.

Once you let shades of grey in... well, that's just too hard to comprehend anymore. You now have to learn and think and argue and sometimes be wrong and learn from your error.

Level 7

Nehwon

#57613 Nov 8, 2012
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Christine, I have to respectfully disagree. The VAST MAJORITY of the US are much more moderate....Left or Right of center to varying degrees, certainly.
But it is the extreme elements on either end that get all the press, and make all the noise. Evidence "Westboro Baptist Church" and "Fox News".
Comparative to other Western nations, the Democrats are Center-Right and the GOP is far right.

Far as I'm concerned, the GOP is getting into Taliban (religion) and/or Fascist (business/government) territory.

Level 7

Nehwon

#57614 Nov 8, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Zero!
You are ignorant. One evidence of God's existence, is death. Why do we die, when truly we don't want to?
Because being immortal would be boring once you've seen the same things a million times.

Dying gives you an urgency to do something with your life.

And the Christian promise of the afterlife is an undying existence?

I'd rather do the reincarnation thing where I learn it all over again as if it was new to me.

Level 7

Nehwon

#57615 Nov 8, 2012
antisocial wrote:
<quoted text>
We die because your demiurge,i.e. demon god was flawed.
US Christians generally don't know about the demiurge.

That was a gospel that was rejected by the creators of the Bible.

Level 7

Nehwon

#57616 Nov 8, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Chimps, other apes as well as other animals, can never be compared to humans. Period.
Thus spake the false emissary of God, missionary of Satan, Charles Idemi. Period.

You made your claim. I make mine. Since we both said "Period." there is nothing more to argue about, right?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 11 min Dogen 27,479
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 26 min MADRONE 159,382
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 1 hr yehoshooah adam 2,046
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr IB DaMann 58,601
News Intelligent Design Education Day 19 hr Subduction Zone 8
Are Asians/whites more evolved? (Sep '07) Feb 23 Sentinel 1,758
News Betsy DeVos' Code Words for Creationism Offshoo... Feb 16 scientia potentia... 1
More from around the web