Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 223366 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“May you be at peace.”

Since: Nov 07

Mars

#53365 Oct 18, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Mathematics, in clear terms, is not a language, but can be likened to that (language, a form of art, such as English, French, etc ).
If Maths is unreal according to you, why is it a compulsory requirement in the sciences?

I cannot tell from your reply if you understood what Drew was saying or not. You seem more in a hurry to argue than you are to understand.

Please reread Drew's post and see if you comprehend his meaning BEFORE you rush off to reply.

Drew Smith wrote:
No. With physics and chemistry, you are learning facts and theories about the real world. You may be learning some terminology, but that terminology is in an existing language (such as English or French or German).
With mathematics, you are not learning facts and theories about the real world. You are learning symbols and the grammar rules to manipulate them. Just as with learning any other language.
<quoted text>
Nobody here said otherwise, so what's your point?
<quoted text>
Which *still* doesn't make mathematics a science. Mathematics is a type of language. It has symbols and a set of rules to manipulate the symbols in a meaningful way.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#53366 Oct 18, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> And if that aspect of Mathematics, are completely out of physics, physics, Chemistry would no longer be a complete science.
That is why your analogy is wrong.

No, his analogy was exactly correct. Please read for comprehension.

Science uses mathematics but science is not mathematics.

There are some higher forms of research mathematics that could be considered a form of science, but this is not what people usually thing about when they talk about mathematics.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#53367 Oct 18, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> No.
Mathematics is a science and all subjects or courses are a type of language. All are important to mankind.

Gibberish.

Poor thinking.
Poor writing.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#53368 Oct 18, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Tell that to the dogs.
Since Physics and Chemistry are man made, they just a type of language...

Gibberish.

Poor thinking.
Poor writing.

“First it steals your mind..”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#53369 Oct 18, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>"Maths".
That's what I grew up calling it, too.
Yo amigo!

Vote for Double Fine!!

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/topix/T6TKUG3...

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#53370 Oct 18, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't worry, old chap.
At your age, such things happen
*Low blow alert*
How goes with you amigo?
Not too bad!

....didn't win the Lottery last nite....but other than that...

How you?

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#53371 Oct 18, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> My country is personal to me, but for this purpose, i will tell you my continent, my continent is Africa.

As you have been confirmed to be a liar on a previous issue it should not be shocking that you have lied again.

In a previous post you claimed to be from Iceland. So you were either lying then or you are lying now.

Africa actually makes more sense in looking at the quirks of how you write. I am guessing that you are from South Africa and your native language is Afrikaans. That is just an educated guess, but it would seem to fit the facts.

How did I do?

Oh, never mind. You will lie no matter what the truth is.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#53372 Oct 18, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Whatever!!!
But i know that, the koran as its roots or base from the bible...

And the bible has it's roots in the mythology of the middle east.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#53373 Oct 18, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Yo amigo!
Vote for Double Fine!!
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/topix/T6TKUG3...
Just did.

You appear to have a comfortable lead.

Hardly a shock.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#53374 Oct 18, 2012
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Not too bad!
How you?
Nor did I.

Again.

I think it's broken.

*grumble*

Level 5

#53375 Oct 18, 2012
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Not too bad!
How you?
Listening to Symphony X at work, sealed a major deal yesterday.

Going very well amigo.

How's about them debates, hey? Double Fine watches with a keen eye.

P.S. Double Fine has a failsafe way to win the lottery... Just ask and Double Fine will give you the (((SOLUTION)))

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#53376 Oct 18, 2012
New study regarding abiogenesis:

"Researchers show RNA ribozymes able to cooperate to reassemble themselves
October 18th, 2012 in Chemistry / Biochemistry

http://phys.org/news/2012-10-rna-ribozymes-co...

( Phys.org )—A team of chemistry and applied sciences researchers from several universities in the United States has shown that RNA fragments torn apart in the lab work together to reassemble themselves. This finding, the team claims in their paper published in the journal Nature suggests that early life may have started with cooperative efforts between RNA molecules eventually leading to cooperative replication.

The team based its work on mathematical theories proposed by Manfred Eigen, a chemist who suggested that because early RNA wouldn't be able to successfully evolve from short stranded molecules, they must have had help. That help, he said, may have come in the form of cooperative efforts between molecules.

In earlier work team lead Niles Lehman had found that if long RNA molecules known as ribozymes were cut into fragments and then placed together in a Petri dish, they would over time reassemble themselves into their original configuration. In this new research, Lehman et al altered three ribozyme samples so that they were identical save for one letter that allowed for distinguishing among them. Each was cut into two pieces and placed in a Petri dish. The team found that if the ribozymes were placed together in a Petri dish, they reassembled themselves faster than if they were put in the dish alone. This occurred, they report, because one of the ribozymes helped another reassemble, who then helped a third reassemble who in turn helped the first reassemble, which formed a closed loop network."

<<more at link above>>

Level 5

#53377 Oct 18, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Just did.
You appear to have a comfortable lead.
Hardly a shock.
Hehehe

Thanks amigo.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#53378 Oct 18, 2012
Dogen wrote:
Science uses mathematics but science is not mathematics.
And mathematics is not science.
anonymous

Chagrin Falls, OH

#53379 Oct 18, 2012
President Starky wrote:
Evolution is a religion.
Spambot!

Level 5

#53380 Oct 18, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Nor did I.
Again.
I think it's broken.
*grumble*
Try Double Fine's failsafe system, and you won't be disappointed.
anonymous

Chagrin Falls, OH

#53381 Oct 18, 2012
Elohim wrote:
<quoted text> Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Nothing is more dangerous that judgmental behavior from those who are convinced that they know the truth.- anonymous

Level 5

#53382 Oct 18, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing is more dangerous that judgmental behavior from those who are convinced that they know the truth.- anonymous
"If we can sue the cigarette companies for lung cancer, can we sue the beer breweries for all the ugly women we slept with?" - Double Fine
Elohim

Branford, CT

#53383 Oct 18, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
“The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”

Georgia Harkness

Level 5

#53384 Oct 18, 2012
Elohim wrote:
<quoted text>“The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
Georgia Harkness
"A man needs a woman with integrity, a woman with virtue, a woman with a desire to please, and a woman to stand behind him no matter what. Above all, the man needs to make sure those four women never meet" - Double Fine

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 10 min blacklagoon 3 93,386
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 23 min replaytime 167,923
Life started in an Alabama creek 2 hr Alabama science 1
The Design of Time is Prophecy and is absolute ... 7 hr Rose_NoHo 25
List what Evolution Discoveries have helped SCI... 8 hr Davidjayjordan 12
News Kenneth Miller finds good news in evolution 8 hr Davidjayjordan 1
Illuminati Elite never studied 'evolutionary LU... 9 hr Davidjayjordan 2