Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 223360 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#51113 Oct 8, 2012
President Starky wrote:
Questions for Evolutionists:
"How did blind chemistry create mind/ intelligence, meaning, altruism and morality? If everything evolved, and we invented God, as per evolutionary teaching, what purpose or meaning is there to human life? Should students be learning nihilism (life is meaningless) in science classes? See: G.K. Chesterton: Darwinism is ‘An attack upon thought itself’.
Philosophical straw-man. Life is what you make it. Of course none of this is relevant to the validity of scientific concepts.

Besides, since creationists lying for Jesus is a necessity, it's rather ironic them talking about morality...

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#51114 Oct 8, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Philosophy in a more literal sense. "Love of Knowledge".
In your imagination.
Philosophy as a discipline, covers all areas, including arts, sciences and social sciences. All are centres for knowledge.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#51115 Oct 8, 2012
President Starky wrote:
Where are the scientific breakthroughs due to evolution? Dr Marc Kirschner, chair of the Department of Systems Biology, Harvard Medical School, stated:“In fact, over the last 100 years, almost all of biology has proceeded independent of evolution, except evolutionary biology itself. Molecular biology, biochemistry, physiology, have not taken evolution into account at all.”9 Dr Skell wrote,“It is our knowledge of how these organisms actually operate, not speculations about how they may have arisen millions of years ago, that is essential to doctors, veterinarians, farmers ….”10 Evolution actually hinders medical discovery.11 Then why do schools and universities teach evolution so dogmatically, stealing time from experimental biology that so benefits humankind? See: Is evolution relevant or helpful to real science?
Ah, I see. Flu shot? Evolution. Cancer research? Evolution. While the Commies during the Cold War were busy playing with Lamarck and failing to take the farming community by storm the rest of the world were applying evolutionary principles to agriculture, resulting in greater crop yields. This is the part were creationists start whining "BUT IT'S ONLY MICROEVOLUTION! MICRO MICRO MICROOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" "
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#51116 Oct 8, 2012
FALCONER wrote:
<quoted text>
I happen to find some of the other posts on here to be far more rude than the questions this poster is asking.
It seems to me that you are less bothered by the so-called spamming and more upset about the content of legitimate questions being asked about the topic at hand.
As I told the other poster, I'm not a scientist but I do find his/her posts provocative and interesting.
It may be that the truth lies somewhere in between intelligent design and evolution, but you seem to dismiss all argument that doesn't comply with your views.
That is not constructive debate.
IMHO!
However surely if Sparky was interested in debate he'd do that, rather than spam copy-paste nonsense from a Young Earth Creationist site - without citation (which is plagiarism)- and demonstrate in a coherent rational manner how creationism works and falsify evolution?
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#51117 Oct 8, 2012
President Starky wrote:
"Science involves experimenting to figure out how things work; how they operate. Why is evolution, a theory about history, taught as if it is the same as this operational science? You cannot do experiments, or even observe what happened, in the past. Asked if evolution has been observed, Richard Dawkins said,“Evolution has been observed. It’s just that it hasn’t been observed while it’s happening.”12 See: A valid distinction: origins science versus operational science.
Another way of saying: "How do YOU know? Where you THERE?!?"

Courtroom judges are just big ol' meanies though, as they tend to just roll their eyes whenever somebody says that.(shrug)
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#51118 Oct 8, 2012
President Starky wrote:
Why is a fundamentally religious idea, a dogmatic belief system that fails to explain the evidence, taught in science classes? Karl Popper, famous philosopher of science, said “Darwinism is not a testable scientific theory, but a metaphysical [religious] research programme ….” Michael Ruse, evolutionist science philosopher admitted,“Evolution is a religion. This was true of evolution in the beginning, and it is true of evolution still today.” If “you can’t teach religion in science classes”, why is evolution taught? See: The religious nature of evolution,“It’s not science”.
Popper disagreed with Popper. Of course creationists already know this and prefer to mine quotes either out of context, or before people came to their sense later on (as those kinds of epiphanies are politically and theologically inconvenient). Unfortunately while you attempt to tangent towards philosophical arguments, evolution carries on.

Science couldn't give two hoots what philosophy has to say about it.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#51119 Oct 8, 2012
President Starky wrote:
<quoted text>
I happen to know the history of both antibiotics and oil (As in their discovery and use by man)
Man discovered,manipulated their properties and utilized the end product.
It was hardly random.
Ah! Oil! That stuff which Young Earth Creationists are so good at finding using "Creation geology!"

Oh, wait. They're not actually doing that...
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#51120 Oct 8, 2012
FALCONER wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the best question of all.
Most people who believe in evolution also happen to be atheists,so they become very aggressive when they find out that their own belief is in fact a religion.
I kept this question for my facebook friends many of whom are atheists.
I'm off to have some fun with them.
Keep up the good work.
Evolution and atheism are two separate concepts. Atheism is a point of view towards a philosophical concept. Evolution is science. There are also Christians who accept evolution. Also your new friend there has acted dishonestly.

Choose your friends wisely...
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#51121 Oct 8, 2012
President Starky wrote:
<quoted text>
How convenient.
Got any proof?
Thought not.
"Proof" is only for math and alcohol, not science. Science deals with facts and evidence. The reason being potential falsification is important in science.
The Dude

Stevens Point, WI

#51122 Oct 8, 2012
But you see?
President Starky is not responding to grey sock trolls.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#51123 Oct 8, 2012
President Starky wrote:
<quoted text>
The evidence to my argument is simple.
Your lack of evidence.
My argument is that Man did not evolve from apes.
Show me evidence which proves my argument wrong.
40+ enough?

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/T9Q...

And we haven't even mentioned ERV's yet.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#51124 Oct 8, 2012
President Starky wrote:
<quoted text>
Questions cannot be lies.
Only your answers.
But I don't even give you that much credit since your answers were "Wrong" and then personal attacks on the scientist who asked the questions.
Your "questions" were front-loaded and phrased in a dishonest manner.
Anyone can be grey sock

Warwick, RI

#51125 Oct 8, 2012
President Starky is not responding to grey sock trolls.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#51126 Oct 8, 2012
President Starky wrote:
<quoted text>
Show some evidence (Scientific) which proves that man evolved from apes.
Since that already happened before you even got here, now can you explain why you were asking for something which we both know you will never accept no matter what for theological reasons? Why the dishonesty on your part?

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#51127 Oct 8, 2012
So provide the scientific definition for "ape", and tell us how humans do not meet that definition.
Charles Idemi wrote:
Apes can not invent...
Whether or not apes can invent something is not part of the definition of "ape".

So provide the scientific definition for "ape", and tell us how humans do not meet that definition.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#51129 Oct 8, 2012
Now back to your own error. In your original claim, did you say "in my country"? Yes or no?
Charles Idemi wrote:
But initially, you said that philosophy was never taken as a general subject, true or false?
False, I never said that.

Now back to your own error. In your original claim, did you say "in my country"? Yes or no?

I've answered your question. Are you going to avoid answering mine?
Be a Man

Columbus, OH

#51130 Oct 8, 2012
and register or sign in.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#51131 Oct 8, 2012
President Starky wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you projecting your violent anger on others?
You've claimed that evolution is a lie, and therefore so must be those who promote it. So why are you projecting your violent anger on others? Why does your god demand hypocrisy of its followers?
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#51132 Oct 8, 2012
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical Answer By An Uneducated Moron.
I Have Hunted Since I Was Twelve, I Have Spent More Time In The Rugged Mountains Then Most People. I Pride Myself In Knowing Every Animal In These Mountains, As A Kid I Could Name Each Very Easily.
Not Only Was I Not Mistaken, But Could Have Killed The Thing.
I Chose Not To For Fear Of Enviromentalists And PETA Bringing Lawsuits Against Me, If I Were To Show Pictures And Annouce It.
It Is Much Easier To SIt And Claim Lack Of Evidence And Debunk It As A Myth, Then To Understand That Science Has No Idea, And Is Incapable Of Researching It. Spoon Fed Idiots Couldnt Walk The Mountains, Or Be Quiet Enough,
I Have Decided That Given The Circumstances Again, I Will KIll The Beast And Parade It Through Downtown, Just To Insult The Intelligence Of The Elites.
But Then, They Would Argue It Must Be The Missing Link, OR Darwins Step-son.
MORONS
Sorry, you're right. There's no mistaking bigfoot.

By the way, Starky? This guy's on your side.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#51133 Oct 8, 2012
President Starky wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not assuming that you're ordering me around.
I'm informing you that you are impotent to do so.
Just as impotent as you are at articulating an intelligent debate.
Didn't you just spam a whole bunch of BS from a Young Earth creationism website? Tell us about the SLoT next.(shrug)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 36 min Endofdays 87,206
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 40 min Endofdays 166,297
What's your religion? 57 min Endofdays 767
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 9 hr superwilly 5,811
Are Asians/whites more evolved? (Sep '07) 14 hr Stargirl 1,822
Scientific Method Feb 15 stinky 20
Evolving A Maze Solving Robot Feb 6 Untangler 2
More from around the web