Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#49163 Sep 28, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
Since philosophy is not a science, on what basis did you doubt my comments?
<quoted text>
From Merriam-Webster: "a discipline comprising as its core logic, aesthetics, ethics, metaphysics, and epistemology"
What is your problem. If philosophy is not science, then what is it or rather it is?

Level 2

Location hidden

#49164 Sep 28, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Which person alive today originated English?
Nobody.
Therefore, nobody owns English.
English language belongs to the English( people of England).

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#49165 Sep 28, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, he's headed for Boston and is at the Los Angeles boarding track.
Hehehe.

Platform 13...
Elohim

Branford, CT

#49166 Sep 28, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> What is your problem. If philosophy is not science, then what is it or rather it is?
Perhaps you missed this part of his reply.......
'From Merriam-Webster: "a discipline comprising as its core logic, aesthetics, ethics, metaphysics, and epistemology" '

Level 2

Location hidden

#49167 Sep 28, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
So what? Was that ever an issue?
According to you, philosophy, is un-important, then why all the fields of learning need it?

“Live Love Laugh”

Level 1

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#49168 Sep 28, 2012
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
http://cdeboe.blogspot.nl/2011/03/stones-and-...
1971 jeep
I consider it old news.
Apologetic sites never adapt to reality.
The point is that you can find lot's of movement in that darn desert, allavro. 11 c BC-9thc towers for defence to name a few big ones.
But not for that narrow gap 'various' bibles, so usually Anno Mundi as calculated from the Septuagint, emploi.
The hebrew bible calculation shows some what more activity in the area but it needs a radical Finkelstein overhaul.
But as i stated people moved for various reasons.
Climate-change depopulated the area for a while.
And with the Arab countries in the way, and now having thrown out all western archeologist it will take forever to get the history of the area in proper perpective.
We are now left to simply deep photographing f.i. Syria.
(How convenient, but hey YOU DO NOT TOUCH THE ARCHEOLOGISTS)
First of all, one has to believe the Biblical account. I don't. Even those archaeologists who did believe in the Bible and went on digs for years didn't find anything. That was my point. The other point was that someone seeing something round in murky water claiming they had found an Egyptian chariot wheel that he thought proved the story before it was even brought to the surface is the type of thing that discredits all of research done by believers. Not that it should, it just does because things like that have been done by the hopeful so many times.

“Live Love Laugh”

Level 1

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#49169 Sep 28, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, don't assume that male HS mated with females of other breeds or vice-versa. It's not a requirement for anything other than the assumption that none of the early traits were part of genome of the modern x chromosome. That's still not a given if we take into account chromosomal crossover.(and I'm really not sure if such a thing occurs between x and y chromosomes!)
Also, obviously we have traits that go back in history long before apes or other mammals. I bring up the idea of building blocks from the marsupial days whose original purpose has become secondary to the new strategy. This goes along with my contention that "junk" DNA is probably inaccurate. People can be a bit too focused on "normal" behavior and not the exceptions.
Now, I don't know what they say about Sumerians in Australia. It seems improbable but than again, so are Aryans in early India. What I find the most interesting possibility, and there appears to be evidence supporting it, is a grey zone between voluntary and involuntary metabolic responses among the aborigines. They have also been known to be able to lower their body temperature a good deal in extreme desert conditions.
All this is my conjecture. I really don't try to follow the research that closely. I was annoyed several years ago when they claimed that the Neanderthal were completely isolated from modern humans and share none of their DNA. They were wrong! I was right! Life goes on.:o)
I think some people are too focused on what they think is 'normal' behavior today and don't have the knowledge to think any differently.

Level 2

Location hidden

#49170 Sep 28, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
Do you have a Chromosome 2?
<quoted text>
I didn't ask you that.
Yes or no? If you won't answer, I'll keep asking.
If won't answer mine, i will keep asking.

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#49171 Sep 28, 2012
TedHOhio wrote:
<quoted text>
Claiming that chaos 'created' DNA demonstrates that you really do not understand the Theory of Evolution much at all. I would recommend a decent Biology 101 course, the PBS site on Evolution ( http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/ ), or the Berkeley Evolution 101 site ( http://evolution.berkeley.edu/ ).
Once you understand why your original comment was totally inapplicable, then maybe we can have a reasonable discussion on Evolution and why it is one of the most well supported of all the scientific theories.
Yep now let's hope all READ and LEARN.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_ther...
As in all developments, also calculus, rest on the shoulders of the people before.
We can imagine chaotic motion of the atoms in a contained gas, all jumping or ending up by chance in a small portion of the entire gaseous substance...thus we beget order in a conventional sense again...from chaos. However interesting, it is hardly relevant.

Furthermore we learned that black holes only get so big...and then start pumping out matter, and that process will slow itself down again. A matter of the angle and plane of rotation of the event horizon, and thus a helix forming in a conic shape.

That's about it as far as iterated additions go.

“Live Love Laugh”

Level 1

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#49172 Sep 28, 2012
Knightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
You haven't been able to that in anyone of your posts so far...and talk about delusions...evolutionists couldn't think for themselves if it really mattered...
I've studied creationism for years. I have also studied evolution. Though I am not a scientist, I am not blindly going to overlook evidence because it disagrees with what someone else believes, either.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#49173 Sep 28, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>First of all, you'd have to prove there is a God, and then specifically your God.
Then you'd have to prove 'Eternal Life'. Since you have no proof of any of the above, I think I'll go with something that has evidence.
I guess this doesn't count: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jpallan/46330007... - Sid Harris, in "American Scientist", 1977.

Oldies but goodies.

“Live Love Laugh”

Level 1

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#49174 Sep 28, 2012
Knightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
You do at that don't you?
So you can't refute what I said and had to change my post, huh?

That's okay. I take everything from its source. And the source of this one isn't capable of honest discussion from knowledge instead of apologetics someone else has written. The reason you can't is because you haven't actually studied either side. It is evident you don't know your Bible and certainly do not know even the basics of evolution.

I am used to the ugliness of Christian fundies on Topix. It's everyday fare because they do not have the knowledge to actually discuss anything, much less make a sensible rebuttal.

Level 2

Location hidden

#49175 Sep 28, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
That question is relevant to that issue.(The issue is not "humans never evolved from apes" but instead, "All apes, including humans, evolved from a common ancestral population".)
So answer the question. Do you have a Chromosome 2? Yes or no?
Humans are not apes. Chromosome 2, is never a result of evolution but creation, if it exist.

“Live Love Laugh”

Level 1

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#49176 Sep 28, 2012
Knightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah...gotcha...so what made you leave...what, who or why did you leave?
I had questions no one could answer. So I started studying. I read the Bile from cover to cover without the help of apologetics. I started learning what things meant in context and in the languages in which they were written.

I studied and prayed for answers. I got the answers. They just aren't the ones I was hoping and praying for.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#49177 Sep 28, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.
In English it is not possible to be "more unique". What word are you translating to get "unique".
About that word you keep using,......
"...I do not think it means what you think it means."

Level 2

Location hidden

#49178 Sep 28, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
The Harry Potter series talks about London, a real city. Does that make the Harry Potter series non-fiction?
<quoted text>
Are the Harry Potter books fiction or non-fiction?
<quoted text>
Answer my question first, then I'll answer yours.
If you don't answer mine, how am i going to answer yours.
Harry Potter, is a comic name unlike the bible characters.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#49179 Sep 28, 2012
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>The old Testament is the same for Jews and Christians.
Not if you've ever had a haircut, or worn a cotton/poly leisure suit.

Good grief, you're STILL wearing that?

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#49180 Sep 28, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
OK. It sure sounds like you're struggling to keep your topics sorted between the different people here. Get some sleep if that's all you're lacking! ;)
No amount of sleep cures focus when ongoing issues are not suitably taken care if.
I'll potter along, if you don't mind.

Even if you do...

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#49181 Sep 28, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
A psychological reaction.
Other religions have similar moments with different names.
"Satori" springs to mind.

“I am evolving as fast as I can”

Since: Jan 08

Brooklyn, in Dayton OH now

#49182 Sep 28, 2012
Kenhunt wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you lose, something you ought to be used to. Since your reference dodges the regression line of evolution back to the beginning, I again call out either chaos of something else.
By "chaos" I mean beginning with the big bang things mixed and collided absent any kind of guidance, perhaps absent the laws of physics now known to us. Over huge expanses of time things expanded, remixed, formed new elements and particles and over billions of years this chaotic sequence somehow generated the cell from which all life here on our planet descended through what some here have called an organized process until the ultimate living intellect, humans, were evolved. And, voila, we have Shakespeare, Newton, and of course, YOU.
The old joke was if one had an infinite number of typewriters and an infinite number of monkeys, sooner or later one would type, "To be or not to be, that is the gezezenflop." The gezezenflop being, of course, YOU. Or US.
I personally do not find US as statistically improbable given the number of galaxies and planets and years involved. But when I begin to look at the details of things and come upon the process by which cells divide and duplicate DNA strands, it is hard to imagine something that complex and fine just happening from, if one goes back far enough, chaos.
Does that make what I said clearer?
Aside from mis-representing the concept of evolution, you are also making a logical fallacy argument. Basically you are saying that since you cannot believe that life could have possibly come about without an intelligent being guiding it's development, then obviously it could not have happened.

That's called an argument of incredulity and it's the same sort of argument made against Copernicus, Galileo, Wilbur and Orville Wright, to name a few. Your inability to understand the concept still doesn't invalidate the concept. It does make one question your basic science education.

As for your typewriters, it is an incredubly poor analogy for evolution and is only used by people who have no real argument against evolution. Now, if you are interested in improving the analogy slightly -- please note the use of the word slightly, stand behind the monkeys and every time you see something that is part of any Shakespearian work, grab it and save it. Now you are one increment closer to it being an evolutiona nalogy because you have added in an analogy of the role of Selection. Of course, there are many other pieces missing, so this is still a poor analogy, but at least it's a tiny bit closer.

I know you won't stop using it, but then you haven't made a single viable argument against evolution, have you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Creationism isn't a science and doesn't belong ... 2 min Iconoclast 1 665
Should evolution be taught in high school? (Feb '08) 10 min Aura Mytha 176,880
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 21 min marksman11 140,983
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr One way or another 16,721
Birds Evolved From Dinosaurs SlowlyThen Took Off 4 hr The Dude 14
An atheistic view on evolution vs. a godly view... 8 hr Denisova 1,364
Brainwashed: Christian school taught Intelligen... Sun Denisova 6
More from around the web