Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 216606 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#44158 Sep 8, 2012
Doctor Who Two wrote:
<quoted text>
The Mad Spinster strikes again.
Laugh it up, fuzzball! When you're being judged by Archimedes himself, you won't be laughing!

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Level 2

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#44159 Sep 8, 2012
wolverine wrote:
My Vehicles Probably Cost More Then Your Home.
Yet my home is worth more than your vehicles.

The trick to capitalism is ti avoid being exploited. You work all year and brag about a week with your wife in Hawaii. The trick with capitalism, is to make it work for you, not to allow it to make you work for it until you drop.

Let me know how that works out for you, Aristotle.

“Jon Snow”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

The King in the Nor±h

#44161 Sep 8, 2012
Doctor Who Two wrote:
<quoted text>
Spinster hard at it.
Is that what you believe scientific facts to be ?

Level 5

Since: Apr 12

Jinan, China

#44163 Sep 8, 2012
HTS wrote:
"They employ their twisted logic in all avenues of thought, including science and mathematics."

So you're still contending that Creationists are more logical than Evolutionists?
An Evolutionist won my first logic contest; let's see who wins this one:

HTS, Wolverine, Charles Idema, and KJV have each earned a advanced degree.
These degrees were in chemisty, geology, botany, and zoology, although not necessarily in that order.
These degrees were awarded by Harvard, Yale, Cal Tech, and MIT, although not necessarily in that order.

Following are the hints:

Charles Idema transferred from MIT to write a dissertation on the Intelligent Design of bananas.

HTS changed his major from botany to write a dissertation on what good is a half an eye.

KJV and the zoologist have patented a radiometer which rendered all other radiometers obsolete.
This instrument can be used for any fossil, gives an accurate reading within a year, and has never given a reading older than 4004 BC.

The Cal Tech graduate and the geologist hosted a documentary on the Evolutionists' frequent disappointing expeditions in search of the crocoduck.

Charles Idema and the chemist have published a runaway best-selling paperback book entitled "Why Are There Still Monkeys?"

These brilliant scholars have made contributions in other fields also.
With assistance from the chemist, Wolverine published an article in a literary journal about the rules of capitalization.
With assistance from the zoologist, Wolverine published an article in the same journal about the correct use of the three-dot ellipsis.
Charles Idema has collaborated with the zoologist on a definitive history of the English language.

Given these clues, match each scholar with his field and his alma mater.

Level 5

Jinan, China

#44164 Sep 8, 2012
Aura Mytha covered a lot of territory.

Aura Mytha wrote:
"Morality is learned by civilization , what is and is not acceptable is decided by the people within the society."

Yes and no.
There are cultural differnces, but there are also universal similarities.
In animal species also, there are cultural differences and universal similarities.

Aura Mytha wrote:
"So in a way religion may have influenced some traits of morality
such as with homosexuality , this is learned from doctrine."

Evolution favors normal heterosexuality because normal heterosexualiy reproduces. Homosexuality, pedophilia, and zoophilia don't.
Consequently, we are born with an instinct which favors normal heterosexuality.
It is our twisted environment which causes thes aberrations.

Aura Mytha wrote:
"Early on it was decided that things like murder were not acceptable,"

In most species, there is a taboo against killing conspecifics.
Our closest relatives, the chimpanzees, are an exception.

The Bible says “thou shalt not kill,” but it doesn’t stick to that dictum very long.
Apparently it’s all right to kill Philistines and Canaanites.

Aura Mytha wrote:
"I suspect things like incest come from the very core of being human , we nurture and help our young we teach them and this is engrained in the aspects of father and motherhood to protect our children, we need not of religion to learn these things."

The Finnish sociologist Edvard Westermarck was interested in this sort of thing. He maintained that a brother and sister who grew up together don't fall in love with each other not because they are brother and sister, but because they grew up together.

Westermarck's theory has stood the test of time. A long time ago, there was a news story about a boy who grew up in an adopted home and a girl who grew up in another adopted home. They later met, fell in love, got married, and discovered that they were brother and sister. They defied a court order to have their marriage annulled.

It has been observed that children who grow up in the same Israeli kittutz seldom get married. Of those few exceptions, it has always been found that one or both of the partners were latecomers to the kibbutz.

This effect has come to be known as the "Westrmarck effect." There may have been human or animal populations which lacked this effect, but if there have, those populations have inbred themselves to extinction.

I agree with that last part.

Level 5

Jinan, China

#44165 Sep 8, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
“This is what separates us from being animals the deductive reasoning skills of higher brain function.”

I agree that we have a larger cerebral cortex than other species, and that we can therefore diagram sentences and calculate square roots better than other species.
But so far, I haven't heard you mention anything which requires this faculty.

Aura Mytha wrote:
"Religions can teach us any trait of morality as being normal , even ones that are contrary to what is decided normal from being human. Such as with slavery, we know as humans it is wrong but religion can promote it to being acceptable,"

Darwin might agree with you on that.
I am currently reading Origin of Species.
Darwin speaks of slavery in the ant family, which he finds abhorrent.

Aura Mytha wrote:
"while promoting that homosexuality is unacceptable."

In my opinion, men carry an instinctive desire to establish stag friendships with virile men, since virile men make better hunting partners.
Because of this instinct, the authors of the Bible probably carried a feeling of repugnance toward homosexuals and pretended that they were disfavored by God.

Aura Mytha wrote:
While the human equation tells us that homosexuality is acceptable and slavery is not.

Never heard that term before.
What is the “human equation”?

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#44166 Sep 8, 2012
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Bush did it with his trillion+ dollar war dummy.
Wackos be sprouting like weeds on these threads Word. You can't fix stupid, but I am like you, you have to try.

Level 5

Jinan, China

#44167 Sep 8, 2012
Doctor Who Two wrote:
Gods word ( The Bible ) is the number one read book of all times, and is still number 1 today in the world.
Hop on the bandwagon!

The argumentum ad populum may be fallacious, but it carries an evolutionary function.
If an individual in primitive society wandered off and did his own thing, he wouldn't last long.
Consequently, evolution has favored conformity.

Isn't it funny how some people teach Creationism but demonstrate Evolutionary theory?

Level 1

Since: May 08

EVERYWHERE

#44168 Sep 8, 2012
Atheist Evolution Paradigm Officially Collapses: ENCODE Project Finds Mass “Junk" DNA Functionality
http://www.cross.tv/87544

Atheists and Materialists panic as evolution theory and implications regarding Junk DNA has officially been disproved scientifically; Intelligent Design Scientific Predictions have been vindicated. The Evolutionist assumptions that large portions of Human DNA has no function was WRONG from the very beginning.

Suddenly, these arrogant educators befuddled by this news scheme for ways to keep the mass public in the dark and the next generation unaware. But now as this news goes public, more and more thinking people are now realizing that it's only the Evolutionist, Atheists, Materialist, and God-haters that are refusing to follow wherever the science leads, those who believe in the intelligent design world-view. Ironically, it's the Atheists, Evolutionists, Materialists, and God-haters who are the very ones stifling scientific advance in society, and are hindering both critical thinking and academic success within the next generation.

Doubt Darwinism and Atheism
http://www.evolutionfacts.blogspot.com

/\

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#44169 Sep 8, 2012
Doctor Who Two wrote:
<quoted text>
I clearly stated who I was talking about.
It's right there in the post "Atheist"
You can't man up on clear proof that you were wrong. You can't read minds stick to reading post. You cannot insert what I did not post.
This is clear evidence that you're one of those that cannot except the truth even when it bitch slaps you in the face!
Sorry, you are still wrong. Keep trying though I am sure you will convince someone. And are you still dodging answering your claim about creationists being able to explain the fossil record?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#44170 Sep 8, 2012
PROFESSOR X wrote:
Atheist Evolution Paradigm Officially Collapses: ENCODE Project Finds Mass “Junk" DNA Functionality
http://www.cross.tv/87544
Atheists and Materialists panic as evolution theory and implications regarding Junk DNA has officially been disproved scientifically; Intelligent Design Scientific Predictions have been vindicated. The Evolutionist assumptions that large portions of Human DNA has no function was WRONG from the very beginning.
Suddenly, these arrogant educators befuddled by this news scheme for ways to keep the mass public in the dark and the next generation unaware. But now as this news goes public, more and more thinking people are now realizing that it's only the Evolutionist, Atheists, Materialist, and God-haters that are refusing to follow wherever the science leads, those who believe in the intelligent design world-view. Ironically, it's the Atheists, Evolutionists, Materialists, and God-haters who are the very ones stifling scientific advance in society, and are hindering both critical thinking and academic success within the next generation.
Doubt Darwinism and Atheism
http://www.evolutionfacts.blogspot.com
/\
You could not be more wrong.

Evolutionists never assumed that large parts of the DNA code had no function. Geneticists were surprised when they first started to study how genes worked and it seemed that most of the code was nonfunctional. There were no assumptions made. Now as we study more the code is fitting better and better into the theory of evolution as it turns out that much of the genetic code are genes that were "turned off". In other words, old genes don't necessarily go away, many of them are no longer used. Of course that does not mean they cannot be turned back on in some future generations.

It seems you are guilty of the sin that most creationists commit, you do not read the scientific articles thoroughly and then misinterpret them to support your fantasy.

Level 5

Jinan, China

#44171 Sep 8, 2012
Doctor Who Two wrote:
You cannot understand why as long as you wear the Red Lens Glasses.
"You can't understand it because you're not as holy as we are."
Someone used that line only yesterday!

DWT, would you please define "Red Lens Glasses"?
If it is something that I can take off momentarily, I might be willing to give it a try.
If it is something that I CAN'T take off momentarily, then you are making an argument which can't be either verified or falsified.
You are being very clever in trying such a trick, but it's not going to work.

You know how to change rocks into gold?
It's easy. Fill the pan with rocks, fill the pan with water, and boil the water on the stove.
There is just one catch to it: the whole time the water is boiling, you must try hard not to think of the word "hippopotamus." If the word "hippopotamus" ever once enters your mind, the spell is broken.

Level 5

Jinan, China

#44172 Sep 8, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
"The bible is the word of God. The bible said so,"

What is the major premise of your argument,
that any book which says it's true is true?
The Koran also says that the Koran is true.
Does that mean that the Koran is true?

Charles Idemi wrote:
"and God is not human, that should lie..."

He isn't?
I thought God created man in his own image.

“Jon Snow”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

The King in the Nor±h

#44173 Sep 8, 2012
Thomas Robertson wrote:
Aura Mytha wrote:
“This is what separates us from being animals the deductive reasoning skills of higher brain function.”
I agree that we have a larger cerebral cortex than other species, and that we can therefore diagram sentences and calculate square roots better than other species.
But so far, I haven't heard you mention anything which requires this faculty.
Aura Mytha wrote:
"Religions can teach us any trait of morality as being normal , even ones that are contrary to what is decided normal from being human. Such as with slavery, we know as humans it is wrong but religion can promote it to being acceptable,"
Darwin might agree with you on that.
I am currently reading Origin of Species.
Darwin speaks of slavery in the ant family, which he finds abhorrent.
Aura Mytha wrote:
"while promoting that homosexuality is unacceptable."
In my opinion, men carry an instinctive desire to establish stag friendships with virile men, since virile men make better hunting partners.
Because of this instinct, the authors of the Bible probably carried a feeling of repugnance toward homosexuals and pretended that they were disfavored by God.
Aura Mytha wrote:
While the human equation tells us that homosexuality is acceptable and slavery is not.
Never heard that term before.
What is the “human equation”?
What humans have decided out of cultural agreements, the whole what humans have decided by living in each civilization. Specifically the deductive reasoning skills of higher brain function has given us the ability to formulate the cultural accepted behaviors we call morals independently of religious doctrine or ideology.

In short brains and society have taught us it is not acceptable to marry your daughter and murder people , no need of religion to tell you this though it may.
Society teaches is is good to help others etc , society is becoming to accept homosexual relationships are morally acceptable despite religious doctrines that oppose it.
I will add that I'm not gay but society has taught me to accept there are others who are , and it is not evil just different.

The understanding that we are in a world with others and that we all decide what is acceptable and that no doctrine or religion ideology dictates this but in fact out tolerances are ruled by the "human equation" and while we as individuals may not agree with everything we must accept it is by the majority and what "we" decided as acceptable behavior in a free society of peoples with different faiths and non faith etc.

Level 5

Jinan, China

#44174 Sep 8, 2012
Doctor Who Two, could you tell us something about Biblical prophesies which have come true SINCE the Bible was written?

I realize that the Christmas story is supposed to be the fulfillment of the prophesies of Isaiah, but we skeptics don't know that the Christmas story is true either.

I can name one. I realize that Matthew 24:5 and Mark 13:6 say that "Many will come in my name."

But the author of that verse probably realized that there are many people claiming to be the return of any famous prophet, whether real or fictional. Father Divine, Jim Jones, and Sun Myung Moon have claimed to be the return of Jesus, but Guru Maharaj Ji and Krishnamurti likewise claimd to be the return of Krishna.

Don't get me wrong. I used to believe in this sort of claptrap. The Baha'is claimed to have evidence from the Book of Revelation that a calamity of unprecedented proportions would take place by the year 2000. Chaos would reign, people would be fighting for food, and one-third of the world's population would be killed. The United States would be in such an upheaval that no one would offer to run for President.

Imagine my surprise when I woke up on the morning of January 1, 2000, looked outside, and found everything as it had been before.

Level 5

Jinan, China

#44175 Sep 8, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
God almighty can never use people of impure hearts.
If I understand Drew Smith correctly, he is suggesting that the Bible was written by people of impure hearts and that God almighty DIDN'T use them.
Drew Smith, am I understanding you correctly?

Today seems to be my day for telling jokes:

A Methodist and a Presbyterian were arguing over who had a holier preacher.
The Methodist said, "My preacher converses with the archangels."
The Presbyterian said, "How do you know he does?"|
The Methodist said, "He says he does."
The Presbyterian said, "How do you know he's not lying?"
The Methodist said, "Lying? How could anyone who is holy eough to converse with the archangels possibly lie?"

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#44176 Sep 8, 2012
Thomas Robertson wrote:
If I understand Drew Smith correctly, he is suggesting that the Bible was written by people of impure hearts and that God almighty DIDN'T use them.
Drew Smith, am I understanding you correctly?
Correct.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#44177 Sep 8, 2012
Doctor Who Two wrote:
<quoted text>Gods word ( The Bible ) is the number one read book of all times, and is still number 1 today in the world.
What is the most secretly downloaded book? When no one is watching, what book is the most interesting?

Top 100 EBooks yesterday

Beowulf (1030)
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (876)
The Kama Sutra of Vatsyayana by Vatsyayana (733)
Demonology and Devil-lore by Moncure Daniel Conway (636)
Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (607)
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (571)
How to Analyze People on Sight by Elsie Lincoln Benedict and Ralph Paine Benedict (566)
Grimm's Fairy Tales by Jacob Grimm and Wilhelm Grimm (535)
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (455)
The Republic by Plato (447)
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (445)
The Story of a Stuffed Elephant by Laura Lee Hope (441)
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (421)
A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs (406)
Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka (405)
The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli (401)
Ulysses by James Joyce (390)
Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift (360)
Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman (347)
War and Peace by graf Leo Tolstoy (333)
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens (326)
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë(322)
Dracula by Bram Stoker (312)
The Divine Comedy by Dante, Illustrated by Dante Alighieri (312)
Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (311)
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (301)
Lives of Illustrious Shoemakers by William Edward Winks (299)
Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley (292)
Myths and Legends of Ancient Greece and Rome by E.M. Berens (291)
Novelas Cortas by Pedro Antonio de Alarcón (278)
Moby Dick, or, the whale by Herman Melville (258)
The American Horsewoman by Elizabeth Karr (251)
English Literature by William J. Long (249)
The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde (248)
The Bible, Old and New Testaments, King James Version (246)

Number 35! LOL! Seems that christians are more interested in Oscar Wilde than god! LOL!

Level 5

Jinan, China

#44179 Sep 8, 2012
Tinka wrote:
So birds always had their wings or did they have fins first?
First, fish had fins.
When it became advantageous for some of those fish to dwell on land, those who were lucky enough to have the right mutations had fins which evolved into legs.
These were the first amphibians.
When it was no longer advantageous for some of those amphibians to return to the water, some of them became reptiles.
When it became advantageous for some of those reptile to glide, those wo were lucky enough to have the right mutations had legs which evolved into wings.

Level 5

Jinan, China

#44182 Sep 8, 2012
Doctor Who Two wrote:
Creation does have a explanation for the fossil record.
I know of three explanations which have been suggested by Creationists:

1. The fossils were not laid in ancint geological times, but were laid by the Flood.

This is the position of the Institute for Creation Research.

2. Each geologic layer represents an attempt which God made before finally creating Adam and Eve.

This was the position taken by some Creationists when the geologic column was first discovered--in about the Seventeenth Century, if I recall correctly.

3. Each geologic layer represents a catastrophe and a new creation of life.

Proponents of this explanation include Adam Sedgewick and Georges Cuvier.

Do you subscribe to one of these explanations?
If not, what is your opinion?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Might life have spontaneously have started mill... 9 min rogermunns 632
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 20 min scientia potentia... 48,388
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 2 hr Genesis Enigma 154,611
News Should evolution be taught in high school? (Feb '08) 11 hr Porkncheese 179,706
Richard Dawkins tells the truth 11 hr Porkncheese 6
Science News (Sep '13) Fri _Susan_ 3,980
News Does Mike Pence Believe in Evolution? Thu scientia potentia... 9
More from around the web