Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#4192 Aug 24, 2011
jbird56 wrote:
<quoted text>
Five bucks says he would not understand any of it. Thinking is involved.
Maybe we should pitch in and buy him a set of multiplication flashcards. You gotta start somewhere.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#4193 Aug 24, 2011
laserbreath wrote:
>>>>All it requires is exponential reproduction (observed)with imperfect heredity (observed) leading to competition for limited resources (observed) and and higher survival rates for more effective variants (observed).<<<<
what imperfect mutation produced you?
that may produce the survival of the fittest, but doesnt come close to making a monkey turn into a man, a bird into a dinosaur, or slime into a 75 trillion cell human being (albeit over hundreds of millions of years)
You and every other human on the planet have about 100 point mutations that occurred in the formation of the gametes that fused to make you. And this doesn't just happen with humans. It happens with every creature during reproduction. DNA copying is not 100% accurate.

We have less than a 2% difference in our protein coding genes with chimpanzees. Extrapolating from observed mutation rates in mammals, this would mean our two species split about 7 million years ago. This "genetic clock" also agrees with the fossil evidence. The oldest fossils we have with human-like traits are about 6 million years old.

BTW, you should be a bit more precise in your use of language. I understand that by "monkey" you really mean "primate", since you are not making any distinction between apes, monkeys or any other primate group. However, you have been here long enough to have learned some of the correct nomenclature if you wanted to. That you haven't says to me that you desire to remain ignorant...or at least sound ignorant.

Humans did not evolve from monkeys. No one but creationists say that, or rather claim that we say that. We are, however, descended from apes (not modern apes). Monkeys are a different branch of the primate tree.

#4194 Aug 24, 2011
laserbreath wrote:
>>>>>Help me understand this. So when Chuck Smith said: "...[I am] convinced that the Lord [will come] for His Church before the end of 1981."...he was repeating the words of God?<<<
the bible says no man knows. you would think that would shut up the naysayers and more evolved.(snicker)
Yes, but every few years there is some preacher claiming he knows the date and it is right around the corner. In May, we just had Harold Camping telling us the end was here. He has now revised the date to October.

And there are always a horde of people that believe them.

#4195 Aug 25, 2011
laserbreath wrote:
evolution puts forth monkey-men, dinosaurs that turn into birds, whales that walk, goo turning into humans.
still trying to find just one.
Australopithecus?

Dromaeosaurus?

Ambulocetus?

“Shoot for the stars”

Level 5

Since: Dec 10

Planet Earth

#4196 Aug 25, 2011
F_R_E_D wrote:
Treehumper...
Lay off the Champipple FRED! Dementia has set in for you due to brain fermentation. You've got all the signs.

“Just want to be”

Level 5

Since: May 10

your lovin teddy bear

#4197 Aug 25, 2011
Earth Child 1 wrote:
<quoted text>Lay off the Champipple FRED! Dementia has set in for you due to brain fermentation. You've got all the signs.
Lighten up on Fred, he still can't figure out why men and women have the same amount of ribs.

“Just want to be”

Level 5

Since: May 10

your lovin teddy bear

#4199 Aug 25, 2011
This may clear up any confusion on creation.

&NR =1&feature=fvwp

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#4200 Aug 25, 2011
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but every few years there is some preacher claiming he knows the date and it is right around the corner. In May, we just had Harold Camping telling us the end was here. He has now revised the date to October.
And there are always a horde of people that believe them.
Yeah.

Now October 21st is the new "Rapture Day".

Crap.
It's a Friday.

There goes my weekend.

“To where does the one return”

Since: Nov 10

Bowie, MD

#4201 Aug 25, 2011
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>Help me understand this. So when Chuck Smith said: "...[I am] convinced that the Lord [will come] for His Church before the end of 1981."...he was repeating the words of God?

Was God just teasing Chuck then?

Miss Touri wrote, "<quoted text>You cannot hope to defend abortion or homosexuality. If you are for either one...it is out of selfishness and lies and deceit. god loves sinners, but people who make decisions like that know what they are doing."

I haven't made up my mind on abortion. But for the time being, abortion is legal in the US. It's a brutal, unfortunate practice, but it's legal and between a woman, her doctor and her conscience.

Homosexuals are human beings. Anything that two or more consenting adults do in the privacy of their own home is of no concern to me, nor should it be to you, Chuck Smith, the government, or anyone else.
I don't think anyone is really pro abortion but to me if you are even considering it as an option then maybe, just maybe you shouldn't be having kids.

“Church of Latter Day Heathens”

Since: Feb 09

Austin, Tx

#4202 Aug 25, 2011
jbird56 wrote:
<quoted text>
Finish reading the bible, that should push you over the fence.
After completion, reflect on said god and contemplate the genocide, murder, rape, bigotry, racism, misogyny etc. Still a funny god?
Finish reading it? I've read it twice that's why I'm not a christian. I wasn't saying this god has a sence of humor, but my idea of a god would have a sense of humor.

Here's a list of the the killings of the christian god...

1- The entire population of the earth at the time of Noah, except for eight survivors.(Genesis 7:23)
2- Everyone in Sodom and Gomorrah.(Genesis 19:24,25)
3- Amalek and his people.(Exodus 17:8¬16)
4- 3,000 Israelites.(Exodus 32:27,28)
5- 14,700 Jews.(Numbers 16:44¬49)
6- The people of Og. "So they smote him, and his sons, and all his people, until there was none left him alive: and they possessed his land." (Numbers 21:33¬35)
7- 24,000 people.(Numbers 25:4¬9)
8- All Midianite males.(Numbers 31:6¬12)
9- The Ammonites.(Deuteronomy 2:19¬21)
10-The Horims.(Deuteronomy 2:22)
11-The Amorites. "…utterly destroyed the men and the women and the little ones." (Deuteronomy 2:33¬35)
12-The Hittites, Girgashites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites, and Jebusites. "... thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy them;" (Deuteronomy 7:1¬5)
13- Everyone in Jericho but one family.(Joshua 6:20¬25)
14-12,000 people of Ai.(Joshua 8:19¬29)
15-All the people of Makkedah.(Joshua 10:28)
16-All the people of Libnah.(Joshua 10:29,30)
17-All the people of Gezer.(Joshua 10:33)
18-All the people of Eglon.(Joshua 10:34,35)
19-All the people of Hebron.(Joshua 10:36,37)
20-10,000 Perizzites and Canaanites.(Judges 1:4)
21-All the inhabitants of the land of Goshen "... neither left they any to breathe." (Joshua 11:12¬16)
22-The inhabitants of Hormah, Gaza, Askelon, Ekron.(Judges 1:17¬19)
23-10,000 Moabites.(Judges 3:29)
24-600 Philistines.(Judges 3:31)
25-All the hosts of Sisera.(Judges 4:16)
26-120,000 Midianites.(Judges 8:10)
27-1,000 Philistines.(Judges 15:15)
28-25,100 Benjaminites.(Judges 20:35)
29-50,070 people of Bethshemesh.(1 Samuel 6:19)
30-All the Amalekites. "Slay both man and woman, infant and suckling…." (1 Samuel 15:3¬7)
31-200 Philistine men, in order to obtain their foreskins as the price for buying a bride.(1 Samuel 18:27)
32-22,000 Syrians.(2 Samuel 8:5)
33-40,000+ Syrians.(2 Samuel 10:18)
34-The Ammonites of Rabbah, who were tortured to death by the great King David.(2 Samuel 12:29¬31)
35-70,000 people.(2 Samuel 24:15)
36-Every man in Edom.(1 Kings 11:15)
37-All the prophets of Baal.(1 Kings 18:40)
38-127,000 Syrians.(1 Kings 20:28¬30)
39-Moabite captains & "fifties." (2 Kings 1:9¬14)
40-42 children, eaten by bears.(2 Kings 2:23,24)
41-185,000 Assyrians killed in their sleep.(2 Kings 19:35)
42-500,000 men of Israel.(2 Chronicles 13:16¬20)
43-20,000 Edomites.(2 Chronicles 25:11,12)
44-120,000 Judeans in one day.(2 Chronicles 28:5,6)
45-75,500+ people.(Esther 9:12¬14)

And that doesn't even include the people who in the past 2000 years that have killed in the name of this god.

Orlando

#4203 Aug 25, 2011
Toyourleft wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think anyone is really pro abortion but to me if you are even considering it as an option then maybe, just maybe you shouldn't be having kids.
Thankfully, I haven't been put in a position having to make that decision, but *IF* I were forced to do so, all but a miniscule % of the choice will be with the woman whose body is the vessel of the embryo.

I would never place myself in a position where abortion were to be used as "birth control". Other factors would instead be paramount: Health of the mother/embryo, etc.

Beyond the first trimester, there will be no decision to make.

But again, I've been careful, and have had never to make that horrible decision.

Beyond that, go to hell.

“To where does the one return”

Since: Nov 10

Miamisburg, OH

#4204 Aug 25, 2011
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>Thankfully, I haven't been put in a position having to make that decision, but *IF* I were forced to do so, all but a miniscule % of the choice will be with the woman whose body is the vessel of the embryo.

I would never place myself in a position where abortion were to be used as "birth control". Other factors would instead be paramount: Health of the mother/embryo, etc.

Beyond the first trimester, there will be no decision to make.

But again, I've been careful, and have had never to make that horrible decision.

Beyond that, go to hell.
Hell? I think I was agreeing with you and speaking in generalities not specifically talking about you! There are a lot of people who really should not be having kids. Unwanted children account for the majority of crime, poverty, etc. I am absolutely pro choice. Btw people like us (questioners/thinkers/philosop hers) should be having kids so just maybe the future looks just a little brighter.

p.s. Like you really believe in hell:)

Orlando

#4205 Aug 25, 2011
Toyourleft wrote:
<quoted text>Hell? I think I was agreeing with you and speaking in generalities not specifically talking about you! There are a lot of people who really should not be having kids. Unwanted children account for the majority of crime, poverty, etc. I am absolutely pro choice. Btw people like us (questioners/thinkers/philosop hers) should be having kids so just maybe the future looks just a little brighter.

p.s. Like you really believe in hell:)
Perhaps I misunderstood your last sentance. If so, I apologize.

The "hell" coment was appropriate (yet apparently undeserved) despite my beliefs of an actual "hell".

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#4206 Aug 25, 2011
laserbreath wrote:
evolution puts forth monkey-men, dinosaurs that turn into birds, whales that walk, goo turning into humans.
still trying to find just one.

Here am I.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#4207 Aug 25, 2011
FossilBob wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep... The symbol is used in Asia too; there was an uproar in Europe a couple of years back with the arrival of a shipment of purses (?) from India; they were adorned with swastikas:)

It is a symbol from Hinduism and also used in Buddhism. Many Buddhist temples in Asia have them. Allegedly it is from the Sanskrit symbol for "all is well" or in the vernacular of the peasantry "it's all good".

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#4208 Aug 25, 2011
Miss Touri wrote:
<quoted text>
Chuck Smith repeats the words of God. Jesus promised He would return. It is natural to expect the words of Jesus to be fulfilled, as he never lied.

You know that for a fact? Of course not. That is just something people say and even if it were in the bible then it would be tautology.
Miss Touri wrote:
<quoted text> You cannot hope to defend abortion or homosexuality.

What was Jesus doing in the garden with a naked youth?

Mark 14:51,52

Shaking his groove thing?

“That rug tied the room”

Level 1

Since: Aug 09

together--did it not...?

#4209 Aug 25, 2011
Miss Touri wrote:
<quoted text>
My Point is God stands up to scientific scrutiny...without my help.
YOu can know God. You have faith...it's just not toward God at this time...it could be toward yourself, your own wisdom,evolution...anything.
Does He indeed?
Stand up to scientific scrutiny that is...?

Umm, precisely which branch of scientific inquiry would this be that He "stands up to," and, if you'd be so kind, what were the criteria and tests used to achieve this? Also where might we find the verifiable results of these "experiments" as it were?

I thank you for your affirmation of my having "faith."
I agree that I do.
I'm not sure that I agree that it's "just not towards God" so much as I would say it's just not towards your interpretation of God.

Level 2

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#4210 Aug 25, 2011
davy wrote:
Religion kills brains dead.<quoted text>
and tell us einstein what is your assessment of evolution.
i'm sure you have the answer we are all waiting for.

once you have enlighten us, then tell what it is you believe in.
is it the sugar plum fairy?
MIDutch

Waterford, MI

#4211 Aug 25, 2011
big johnnie wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're looking for answers about evolution, you should be able to find them in the THOUSANDS of research papers or THOUSANDS of books or THOUSANDS of museums, universities, research laboratories, excavation sites, observatories, research hospitals, etc. around the world where they research and teach it.

Looking for "answers" on an internet debate board is rather ... silly.
big johnnie wrote:
<quoted text>once you have enlighten us, then tell what it is you believe in.
As opposed to, what, magic fruit, taking snakes, giants and unicorns, satyrs and cockatrices, witches and wizards, angels having sex with human women, people living to be 900 years old, world wide floods that killed EVERYTHING except the passengers of a wood boat?

Is that what YOU believe in?

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#4212 Aug 25, 2011
big johnnie wrote:
<quoted text>
once you have enlighten us, then tell what it is you believe in.
Biology without evolution isn't much more than stamp collecting..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bobby Jindal: "I'm Not an Evolutionary Biologist" 1 hr Dogen 380
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 1 hr Dogen 138,192
Darwin on the rocks 2 hr TurkanaBoy 363
The Satanic Character of Social Darwinism 6 hr The Dude 718
Monkey VS Man Sun Bluenose 14
Charles Darwin's credentials and Evolution Oct 19 TurkanaBoy 204
There is no scientific evidence whatsoever for ... Oct 17 Discord 431

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE