Poll: Should public schools teach Evo...

Poll: Should public schools teach Evolution or Creationism?

Posted in the Evolution Debate Forum

Level 5

Since: Jun 08

Topix Headquarters

#1 May 31, 2012
Hey folks-

We're hosting a poll about Evolution over on Politix - check it out and vote!

http://politix.topix.com/homepage/1010-should...

Oh, and we recently had a story related to the evolution debate with some good comments you might be interested in: http://politix.topix.com/homepage/1007-will-t...

Enjoy!
-Top Mod 5
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#2 Jun 1, 2012
Groovy. Any word yet on when they might move this silly points game to a more appropriate forum? The fancy graphics slow down the browser making it rather frustrating trying to participate in the forum.

“I am the great an powerful Ny!”

Since: Dec 06

Lebanon, PA

#3 Jun 1, 2012
The Dude wrote:
Groovy. Any word yet on when they might move this silly points game to a more appropriate forum? The fancy graphics slow down the browser making it rather frustrating trying to participate in the forum.
Dude, just turn the game off. I did that a few weeks after the game started and really haven't had any issues.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#4 Jun 1, 2012
I tried at the time and it didn't work, both at work and at home. Maybe they were still working out the kinks back then (plus the work PC's we're stuck with older browsers). Besides, as I understand it you can only turn it off if you're registered. I like posting here because you don't have to sign in. I understand sidebar ads are a necessary evil, but this game is just another annoyance to put on top of the icing, plus it was a dumb idea in the first place to put it on a science forum when there were soooo many others to choose from.

My post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, I don't seriously expect anything to be done about it. Even the Top Mods have bosses and the Powers That Be's priority is revenue.
jan

Guelph, Canada

#5 Jun 1, 2012
for students to have a balanced view of the world they should teach both. yes they should learn scietific evolution but let's not forget that spirituality is what separates humans from animals.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#6 Jun 1, 2012
jan wrote:
for students to have a balanced view of the world they should teach both. yes they should learn scietific evolution but let's not forget that spirituality is what separates humans from animals.
In the US, it's illegal to teach any one religion in public schools.

“I am the great an powerful Ny!”

Since: Dec 06

Lebanon, PA

#7 Jun 1, 2012
jan wrote:
Spirits don't exist making spirituality unnecessary.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#8 Jun 1, 2012
jan wrote:
For students to have a balanced view of the world they should teach both spherical Earth and Flat Earth. Yes they should learn scientific spherical Earth but let's not forget... something...

Anyway, if anyone I can vouch for the fact that the kittens certainly do have spirit.
MIDutch

Waterford, MI

#9 Jun 1, 2012
jan wrote:
Both?

There are HUNDREDS of various "world views" that could be taught. Why only "both"?

Further, would you be okay with your kids learning about Hindu "creationism" or Daoist theology or Buddhist meditation practices or Pagan and WIccan spirituality?

What about Satanism and the use of magic? Would you allow those in your school as well?

If you are a "fundamentalist christian" I would imagine that you want YOUR "spirituality" (and religion) taught in school, but you would be at the head of the line at the next local school board meeting screaming your head off in anger if it is some OTHER "world view" being taught to your kids.

If you are a "fundamentalist christian" that sort of revolting hypocrisy is pretty much standard operating procedure.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#10 Jun 2, 2012
jan wrote:
Let's examine this point in it's entirety, assuming for just a moment that spirit exists and assuming that creationism is actually scientific at all.

What would be the entire lesson? 5 minutes would cover the entire creationist answer. Evolution takes years of study. So sure, 5 minutes in the beginning of the class and tell the students that "god may have dun it" and then that's it. I see no problem with this at all, if after this quick little lesson they teach real science for the rest of the year.
LMT

Twinsburg, OH

#11 Jun 2, 2012
jan wrote:
.... what separates humans from animals.
Biology FAIL
LowellGuy

Lowell, MA

#12 Jun 2, 2012
jan wrote:
Should flat Earth and Holocaust denial be taught as legitimate positions on those issues, too? Teach the controversy, right?
Level 5

Since: Jun 08

Topix Headquarters

#13 Jun 5, 2012
Thanks for the feedback on the game folks! I've passed it along to the powers that be...we'll see where we end up!

-tm5

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 5 min Blitzking 168,618
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 37 min thetruth 19,749
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 42 min kenedy njoroge 141,802
News Aliens and evolution (Jun '12) 6 hr NoahLovesU 6,174
How can we prove God exists, or does not? 10 hr GTID62 192
How would creationists explain... (Nov '14) Jun 29 Chimney1 560
News Should evolution be taught in high school? (Feb '08) Jun 28 Chimney1 178,667
More from around the web