Manipulative Persuasion Techniques

Manipulative Persuasion Techniques

Posted in the Evolution Debate Forum

First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Since: Dec 06

AOL

#1 Feb 23, 2007
From the bedroom to the boardroom learn how to see clearly and easily evaluate information without being swayed by those with selfish interests and unkind intentions. The manipulator's bag of tricks is stocked with seven deadly tactics that can leave you jumping through hoops. The good news is that by knowing what they are, you can watch out for them, and...never be manipulated again.

These powerful manipulators are: guilt, intimidation, appeal to ego, fear, curiosity, our desire to be liked, and love. Anyone who uses any of these tactics is attempting to move you from logic to emotion-to a playing field that's not so level. She or he knows that she or he can't win on the facts so they will try to manipulate your emotions with any one or a combination of the tactics below.

Since: Dec 06

AOL

#2 Feb 23, 2007
Guilt: "How can you even say that? I'm hurt that you wouldn't trust me. I just don't know who you are anymore."

Intimidation: "What's the matter can't you make a decision? Don't you have enough confidence in yourself to do this?

Appeal to Ego: "I can see that you're a smart person. I wouldn't try to put anything past you. How could I? You'd be on me in a second."

Fear: "You know, you might [not get "it" if you go take a pee/act un-coach able] just lose the whole thing. I sure hope you know what you're doing. I'm telling you that you won't get a better deal anywhere else. This is your last shot at making things work out. Why do you want to risk losing out on being happy?

Curiosity: "Look, you only live once. Try it? You can always go back to how things were. It might be fun, exciting-a real adventure. "You never know unless you try and you regret never seeing what happens."

Our Desire to be Liked: "I thought you were a real player. And so did everyone else Come on, nobody likes it when a person backs out...this can be your chance to prove what you're made of.

Love: "If you loved me you wouldn't question me. Of course I have only your best interests at heart. I wouldn't lie to you. You know that deep down inside, don't you? We can have a wonderful relationship if you'd only let yourself go and experience the wonders that the future will deliver to us."

Level 1

Since: Dec 06

Saint Petersburg, FL

#4 Feb 23, 2007
Amber B wrote:
From the bedroom to the boardroom learn how to see clearly and easily evaluate information without being swayed by those with selfish interests and unkind intentions. The manipulator's bag of tricks is stocked with seven deadly tactics that can leave you jumping through hoops. The good news is that by knowing what they are, you can watch out for them, and...never be manipulated again.
These powerful manipulators are: guilt, intimidation, appeal to ego, fear, curiosity, our desire to be liked, and love. Anyone who uses any of these tactics is attempting to move you from logic to emotion-to a playing field that's not so level. She or he knows that she or he can't win on the facts so they will try to manipulate your emotions with any one or a combination of the tactics below.
Very true. Added to that can also be appeal to pity.

Since: Dec 06

AOL

#5 Feb 23, 2007
Free Book on persuasion techiniques used on the public today:

http://www.hiddenmysteries.com/freebook/neuro...

Since: Dec 06

United States

#6 Feb 23, 2007
Rick Ross is not without controversy. The following article summarizes his experience and what others have concluded about him. In short, he is not professionally educated even though he has extensive experience in deprogramming. Interestingly enough, he has been accused of being anti-Christian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Ross_%28con...

Since: Dec 06

AOL

#7 Feb 23, 2007
NotAmused wrote:
Rick Ross is not without controversy. The following article summarizes his experience and what others have concluded about him. In short, he is not professionally educated even though he has extensive experience in deprogramming. Interestingly enough, he has been accused of being anti-Christian.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Ross_%28con...
That's ok, I give the information more merit than the source. Thanks for the information, though.

Since: Dec 06

United States

#8 Feb 23, 2007
Amber B wrote:
<quoted text>
That's ok, I give the information more merit than the source. Thanks for the information, though.
That's fine but the list is not complete.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Level 2

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#9 Feb 23, 2007
Amber B wrote:
From the bedroom to the boardroom learn how to see clearly and easily evaluate information without being swayed by those with selfish interests and unkind intentions. The manipulator's bag of tricks is stocked with seven deadly tactics that can leave you jumping through hoops. The good news is that by knowing what they are, you can watch out for them, and...never be manipulated again.
These powerful manipulators are: guilt, intimidation, appeal to ego, fear, curiosity, our desire to be liked, and love. Anyone who uses any of these tactics is attempting to move you from logic to emotion-to a playing field that's not so level. She or he knows that she or he can't win on the facts so they will try to manipulate your emotions with any one or a combination of the tactics below.
Amber! You REALLY should be careful what you post-- Homeland Security will likely have made a note, that you might become what they fear most:

A THINKING voter!

Imagine, if ENOUGH people were to pay attention to your points the NEXT TIME a political speech was given--- scary stuff!

xxxxxx

Seriously, that is very interesting, I think.

And ALSO seriously, google a recent political speech, and see just HOW MANY of the "tricks" the speechmaker was using.

I think you'll be appalled at the number-- remove that emotional-speak, and what is left of the speech? In many cases-- nothing at all!

Since: Dec 06

AOL

#10 Feb 24, 2007
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Amber! You REALLY should be careful what you post-- Homeland Security will likely have made a note, that you might become what they fear most:
A THINKING voter!
Imagine, if ENOUGH people were to pay attention to your points the NEXT TIME a political speech was given--- scary stuff!
xxxxxx
Seriously, that is very interesting, I think.
And ALSO seriously, google a recent political speech, and see just HOW MANY of the "tricks" the speechmaker was using.
I think you'll be appalled at the number-- remove that emotional-speak, and what is left of the speech? In many cases-- nothing at all!
They might be happy to know that I don't even want to vote. The candidates are pre-selected and have the same agendas. The voting system is flawed, I know this for a fact. I had classmates who worked with the voting booths- 3 of them. They all said that the machines malfunctioned and that votes were lost.

Since: Dec 06

AOL

#11 Feb 24, 2007
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Amber! You REALLY should be careful what you post-- Homeland Security will likely have made a note, that you might become what they fear most:
A THINKING voter!
Imagine, if ENOUGH people were to pay attention to your points the NEXT TIME a political speech was given--- scary stuff!
xxxxxx
Seriously, that is very interesting, I think.
And ALSO seriously, google a recent political speech, and see just HOW MANY of the "tricks" the speechmaker was using.
I think you'll be appalled at the number-- remove that emotional-speak, and what is left of the speech? In many cases-- nothing at all!
Quantum Bob, why would you say that to me in here, even in jest? That was very rude and hostile. I feel very upset that you would want to put me in danger in that way.

“Transitional Molecular Fossils”

Since: Dec 06

Somewhere in Penn's Woods

#12 Feb 24, 2007
Amber B wrote:
<quoted text>
Quantum Bob, why would you say that to me in here, even in jest? That was very rude and hostile. I feel very upset that you would want to put me in danger in that way.
At times, I work with psychiatric and drug dependent patients who need to be treated for med/surg problems, so I am very well versed with manipulative techniques as they try to drug seek and work the system, and I have seen many manipulative techniques used in this forum as of late.

Just a question here, is not this statement an example of manipulative technique Number One: Guilt? "How can you even say that? vs. "why would you say that to me in here?"

Just asking.

“Beauty on four legs”

Level 1

Since: Sep 06

Location hidden

#13 Feb 24, 2007
katy, you thought the OP was for informational purposes. it wasn't. It's a copy of the manual she uses.

teehee

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Level 2

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#14 Feb 24, 2007
Amber B wrote:
<quoted text>
Quantum Bob, why would you say that to me in here, even in jest? That was very rude and hostile. I feel very upset that you would want to put me in danger in that way.
Rude? It was a compliment! I have respect for ANYONE who is a critical thinker, and more importantly, critical listener.

The reference to HS was in regards to ALL the "arguments" that Bushya gave to ram that Unconstitutional rights-stealing organization through congress. EVERY SINGLE "ARGUMENT" that Bushya's people gave to support Homeland UN-Security will fall into one OR MORE of the categories you listed in your first posts.

There are NO reasonable arguments for the mess Bushya has created.....

That being said, the ONLY thing that Homeland Un-Security has done that is worth a rat's tail, is get the various agencies talking to each other. But, that was PRACTICALLY an afterthought...... go back and review the speeches Bushya gave, and you'll see what I mean.

“Restore the Republic”

Level 1

Since: Jan 07

Burbs

#15 Feb 26, 2007
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Amber! You REALLY should be careful what you post-- Homeland Security will likely have made a note, that you might become what they fear most:
A THINKING voter!
Imagine, if ENOUGH people were to pay attention to your points the NEXT TIME a political speech was given--- scary stuff!
xxxxxx
Seriously, that is very interesting, I think.
And ALSO seriously, google a recent political speech, and see just HOW MANY of the "tricks" the speechmaker was using.
I think you'll be appalled at the number-- remove that emotional-speak, and what is left of the speech? In many cases-- nothing at all!
I heard the word demagogue years ago,looked up and it's basically the short version of what Amber describes....speak to peoples emotions and you can move them. Give them a choice and they might not choose the same path.

I some times throw stuff out just to sewhere the opinions lay. Though I am far from some qualified pshyche, it's interesting to see what gets people going....

Words move people...like real estate agents do....Well Kept....in a good neighborhood....newer

All words that inspire one image or another.

“Restore the Republic”

Level 1

Since: Jan 07

Burbs

#16 Feb 26, 2007
Amber B wrote:
<quoted text>
Quantum Bob, why would you say that to me in here, even in jest? That was very rude and hostile. I feel very upset that you would want to put me in danger in that way.
Sounded like a compliment to me.

“Restore the Republic”

Level 1

Since: Jan 07

Burbs

#17 Feb 26, 2007
Raptors...there have been times when Raptors have been persecuted for their "evil" hunting ways.
In reality Raptors face incredible odds in their hunt for survival...:), especially in young birds that are just learning....*wink*

The Perrigrine Falcon , for example is one of the more sucessful hunters as it will generally get its prey one out of three strikes.

Raptors are not cruel by nature or especailly vicious..use their bills,talons and stealth.

I must add that Raptors play a huge role in keeping down the number of rats, moles, mice and other such"undesirables", which is something I consider not such a bad thing.

If you have any sightings please let me know....:)
Mike

AOL

#18 Feb 27, 2007
Amber B wrote:
<quoted text>
Quantum Bob, why would you say that to me in here, even in jest? That was very rude and hostile. I feel very upset that you would want to put me in danger in that way.
I believe he was offering you a comment that was well deserved as you seem to recognize the threat the current administration poses to independent thinkers.

An independent thinker...especially one who votes is a valuable asset in our society.

“Transitional Molecular Fossils”

Since: Dec 06

Somewhere in Penn's Woods

#19 Feb 28, 2007
pbfa wrote:
katy, you thought the OP was for informational purposes. it wasn't. It's a copy of the manual she uses.
teehee
I have to hand it to you Pbfa, you are a very insightful person, I have just now been reading posts from the beginning of her arrival and you correctly spotted the manipulation from day one.

You correctly spotted manipulative technique number three, "Appeal to Ego" used countless times. I think that you appropriately termed it "fawning".

Since: Dec 06

AOL

#20 Feb 28, 2007
Katydid wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to hand it to you Pbfa, you are a very insightful person, I have just now been reading posts from the beginning of her arrival and you correctly spotted the manipulation from day one.
You correctly spotted manipulative technique number three, "Appeal to Ego" used countless times. I think that you appropriately termed it "fawning".
That's called being friendly, a seemingly foreign concept to you, for which I need no manual for. May I suggest a try the self-help section at Borders.

Since: Dec 06

AOL

#21 Feb 28, 2007
NotAmused wrote:
<quoted text>
That's fine but the list is not complete.
Please add to the list.*smile*

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 10 min Aura Mytha 83,253
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 4 hr Dogen 164,711
Are you from Tennessee? 6 hr Science 1
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 10 hr Dogen 2,578
SEX did not EVOLVE 10 hr Dogen 185
Evolutionists are anti-conspiracy theorists and... 11 hr Al Caplan 10
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 13 hr Hoosier Hillbilly 223,049
More from around the web