Why Are There No Transitional Animals...

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#468 Feb 3, 2013
Defender wrote:
I'm already home, Dude. Didn't you read my post when I compared the debate between science and religion as a game of rock, paper, scissors? And where did I defend the Bible without questioning it? I suggested that the human authors of the Bible used symbolism to explain our place in the physical world. I understand it is the product of the human mind.
Both you and Nuggin are smart. Why can't you acknowledge that I am suggesting that there must be forethought before a wingless creature can evolve into something with wings? Why does it always go into the realms of wizards, fairies and elves? I am not throwing out the claims of science, merely questioning them. Why does it have to result in talking to people who question science as though we are believers in interdimenionsal beings with magic? And then to tell me to go away? I will go away. But only because I have to poop.
Defender, you are obviously arguing from a theological perspective.

The reason that scientists don't think that evolution is guided is because there is no need for it. It is easy to see how flight evolved. In fact flight evolved at least four times on the Earth, and there are species that are following the path to flight today. That does not necessarily mean that there offspring will fly. They may or may not depending upon all sorts of factors. And we do not need the "hand of God" to guide these results. It can all be explained by natural selection and genetic variation.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#469 Feb 3, 2013
The Dude wrote:
Perhaps man is transitioning between animal and Greedo.
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2011110...
Because there's no evidence of extraterrestrial life; it doesn't exist?
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#470 Feb 3, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Because there's no evidence of extraterrestrial life; it doesn't exist?
Who said anything about extra-terrestrial life in this instance? I didn't. You said perhaps we were evolving into angels. So I proposed that perhaps we were evolving into Rodians. Since humans are currently on Earth, ET doesn't even enter into it. Both proposals are as far as can be determined based on examples from fiction. And hence both are equally likely as part of our potential evolutionary future.

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#471 Feb 3, 2013
Defender wrote:
"Reptiles do have a more water tight skin and lay hard shelled eggs rather than soft shelled eggs but is that enough to make them a seperate kind?"
Can they interbreed? Can they mate and have offspring with a combination of the best traits of both "kinds?" Can their DNA be manipulated to create a hybrid amphibian/reptile?
As species evolve their dna changes, so it's not surprising those with a common ancestor will lose their ability to interbreed.

Level 7

Since: Sep 07

Los Angeles, CA

#472 Feb 3, 2013
Defender wrote:
Why can't you acknowledge that I am suggesting that there must be forethought before a wingless creature can evolve into something with wings?
Because if that were the case, we'd see a different scenario playing out in the fossil record.

Look, it's not like we had lizards running around one day and the an eagle flying the next. If that were the case, they you would be right.

Instead, we had two legged dinosaurs running around for millions of years. Those dinos developed feathers. They developed the 3 forward toe foot. They also developed the avian respiratory system which allows them to process oxygen better. They were fast,_one the ground_ running dinosaurs.

Some of the members of that group had their forelimbs shrink (t-rex), others used those limbs for grasping. The ones that used them for grasping developed musculature and bone structures which allowed for fast forward clasping of the claws.

Of that group, some developed longer feathers on those forelimbs, likely used the same way vultures guard their food with their wings.

Of that group, some were smaller than others and were able to climb trees. Some of those found that the feathers on the arms were also useful when falling from trees.

Of that group of feather armed, tree fallers, some utilized their "grasping" muscles to flap. However, they didn't have flight feathers so the best they could do was a sustained jump. Still, good for pouncing, good for getting away, good for controlling a fall.

Of the group that could do the flapping, some developed primitive flight feathers. That gave rise to many proto-birds. Most of which (like Archaeoptryx) are not direct ancestors to modern birds.

ONE lineage of those hundreds of different groups of proto-birds gave rise to the early bird ancestors.

Somewhere in there, they developed wings.

Then, of the group that led to birds, 99% of the species have gone extinct. Those that have remained have evolved not only into hummingbirds and eagles, but also into ostriches and penguins.

In other words, modern birds evolved flight and then evolved away from flight.

There are literally hundreds of different branches, each with hundreds of branches of its own, leading to thousands and thousands of different species which ultimately led to birds as we know them today.

IF a designer was involved, we'd expect a MUCH faster, MUCH smoother transition. We'd expect no birds which have then given up flight.(Why design a bird, give it feathers, give it wings, give it flight respiration, and then make it spend all its time in the water??)

No designer has 99.99% of his designs fail completely and then ends up with a collection of "successes" which make no sense whatsoever.

And we haven't even begun to talk about pterasaurs, bats and arthropods, all of which independently developed flight through completely different means at completely different times.

Oh, and flying fish, flying squid, flying squirrels and flying lizards, all of which have separately developed glide systems completely unrelated to one another AND unrelated to the above groups that developed flight.

It's easy (and dumb) to look at some birds and say "Wow, must have been a designer". But you can't just look at _some_ birds. You have to look at _ALL_ birds, all the ones alive today, all the ones that have gone extinct. You need to look at the ENTIRE picture before you can draw a conclusion.
Damien

Australia

#473 Apr 12, 2013
Where are the transitional creatures that belong between ape and man? All we have is ape and man but nothing in between except a few very dubious fossils. Show me a creature living today that comes even close to being a link between ape and man. There should be hundreds of them, but you won't even be able to come up with one.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#474 Apr 12, 2013
Damien wrote:
Where are the transitional creatures that belong between ape and man? All we have is ape and man but nothing in between except a few very dubious fossils. Show me a creature living today that comes even close to being a link between ape and man. There should be hundreds of them, but you won't even be able to come up with one.
"Living today"?

None (or perhaps you believe in Bigfoot, Yeti, etc). Unless you are of Sub-Saharan ancestry, you have some Neanderthal in your DNA.

But then there's a plethora of hominid ancestors that you can look into:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_human_ev...

Level 7

Los Angeles, CA

#475 Apr 12, 2013
Damien wrote:
Why would they be alive today? This is like asking why we think that modern Rome is the same city as anchient despite the fact that no one from the year 1000 is around to confirm it

On top of that you are misusing the term ape. Humans are apes

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#476 Apr 13, 2013
The Dude wrote:
Who said anything about extra-terrestrial life in this instance? I didn't. You said perhaps we were evolving into angels. So I proposed that perhaps we were evolving into Rodians. Since humans are currently on Earth, ET doesn't even enter into it. Both proposals are as far as can be determined based on examples from fiction. And hence both are equally likely as part of our potential evolutionary future.
The Dude mentioned the E.T. movie star, Greedo. We already know Greedo lived on Mos Espa, Rodians come from the planet Rodia in the Tyrius system.

At least we agree on the our potential evolutionary future.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#477 Apr 27, 2013
ImNoMonkey wrote:
If evolution was a fact, then there would be transitional animals alive today. An animal half way between one kind and another kind. But such creatures don't exist!!! Therefore evolution is a lie.
God bless
No there wouldn't...who told you this lie??

Archaeology, paleoanthropology and DNA have proven we are of the great ape line.
nonevolved

Dublin, Ireland

#478 Apr 28, 2013
Feklahr wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, at least I *admit* I am making up "felinus superdoopus", what is your friggin' excuse for God?
No excuse required idiot evolutionist
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#479 May 22, 2013
ImNoMonkey wrote:
If evolution was a fact, then there would be transitional animals alive today. An animal half way between one kind and another kind. But such creatures don't exist!!! Therefore evolution is a lie.
God bless
That's been one of my questions all along too. There are bones from apes and bones from humans, but none in between, just a crazy idea that we evolved. I hate that so many people on these Evo threads have been deceived by the constant lies from the science community, who can't change their tune in the middle of the game, or they'd lose their funding.

Follow the money trail and you will find the truth.

God Bless
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#480 May 22, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would they be alive today? This is like asking why we think that modern Rome is the same city as anchient despite the fact that no one from the year 1000 is around to confirm it
On top of that you are misusing the term ape. Humans are apes
Why wouldn't they be alive today?

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#481 May 22, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's been one of my questions all along too. There are bones from apes and bones from humans, but none in between, just a crazy idea that we evolved. I hate that so many people on these Evo threads have been deceived by the constant lies from the science community, who can't change their tune in the middle of the game, or they'd lose their funding.
God Bless
Seems to me that you have been deceived and spout constant lies mixed with Biblical passages, eh Adolf.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#482 May 22, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's been one of my questions all along too. There are bones from apes and bones from humans, but none in between...
Massive ignorance.
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#483 May 22, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Massive ignorance.
You have bones of different sized apes,(trying to claim they're human). These bones are too thick to be human, these ape bones are for large strong muscles, like apes, that are 3-6 times stronger than humans....then all of the sudden a human skeleton. What happened between the last ape and human skeleton...the missing link?

You have been lied to.

If it was a missing link, it's still a missing link...but the lie must continue for the money.
imagine2011

Southaven, MS

#484 May 22, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Seems to me that you have been deceived and spout constant lies mixed with Biblical passages, eh Adolf.
What lies?

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#485 May 22, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
You have bones of different sized apes,(trying to claim they're human). These bones are too thick to be human, these ape bones are for large strong muscles, like apes, that are 3-6 times stronger than humans....then all of the sudden a human skeleton. What happened between the last ape and human skeleton...the missing link?
You have been lied to.
Where in this list is that *BOING* human point?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo#Species
imagine2011 wrote:
If it was a missing link, it's still a missing link...but the lie must continue for the money.
Psst! There never was a missing link. It's a made up term.

Level 7

Los Angeles, CA

#486 May 22, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
You have been lied to.
First of all, you clearly don't have the faintest idea what the fossil collections show.

Second, this is not just a random collection of "ape bones". We have fossils from different time periods. We can arrange those fossils chronologically and see how things changed over time.

We have fossils of primates which existed in the distant past which have no corollary alive today. They are extinct and there's nothing around quite like them.

When we arrange the fossils chronologically, we see a very clear series of changes in morphology.

We see transitions from stooped, knuckle walking to upright walking. This can be seen in the hips, the skull, the feet, the knees, the arms, etc.

We see transitions from big jaws, big molars and big chewing muscles to smaller jaws, smaller teeth and smaller chewing muscles.

We see transitions in the size of the skull and brain capacity.

I'm not talking about a one step transition either. I'm talking about DOZENS of examples spanning MILLIONS of years showing a gradual change.

Your allegations are based on your uninformed opinion about what fossils we actually have, not based on the reality of the fossil record.

And one last thing. We KEEP FINDING NEW FOSSILS. Ever couple of months there's a news story about a new fossil that's been recovered. And _EVERY__SINGLE__TIME_ the new fossil falls somewhere on the timeline and matches the changes we see.

EVERY TIME.

That wouldn't be possible if we were faking it.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#487 May 22, 2013
imagine2011 wrote:
That's been one of my questions all along too. There are bones from apes and bones from humans, but none in between, just a crazy idea that we evolved.
Sure there are. Here's a bunch:

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/T9Q...
imagine2011 wrote:
I hate that so many people on these Evo threads have been deceived by the constant lies from the science community, who can't change their tune in the middle of the game, or they'd lose their funding.
You "hate" the fact we disagree with you?

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!!!!

:-D
imagine2011 wrote:
God Bless
Ah, yes. "Give dough". I think you'll find it looks something more like this:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 17 min Richardfs 48,556
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 3 hr Snap 216,714
Richard Dawkins tells the truth 8 hr Timmee 9
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 9 hr Into The Night 23,503
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 14 hr scientia potentia... 154,689
Science News (Sep '13) 14 hr _Susan_ 3,985
Might life have spontaneously have started mill... Sun The Northener 642
More from around the web