Is string-theory a supernatural belief?

Is string-theory a supernatural belief?

Posted in the Evolution Debate Forum

First Prev
of 9
Next Last

“the truth will set you free...”

Level 1

Since: Nov 10

United States

#1 Jun 3, 2012
Is believing in string-theory any different than believing in the supernatural? Can anyone give me a reason why there's any difference?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics/imaginin...

For most of us, or perhaps all of us, it's impossible to imagine a world consisting of more than three spatial dimensions. Are we correct when we intuit that such a world couldn't exist? Or is it that our brains are simply incapable of imagining additional dimensions¬ódimensions that may turn out to be as real as other things we can't detect?

String theorists are betting that extra dimensions do indeed exist; in fact, the equations that describe superstring theory require a universe with no fewer than 10 dimensions. But even physicists who spend all day thinking about extra spatial dimensions have a hard time describing what they might look like or how we apparently feeble-minded humans might approach an understanding of them. That's always been the case, and perhaps always will be.
LowellGuy

United States

#2 Jun 3, 2012
Dream-weaver wrote:
Is believing in string-theory any different than believing in the supernatural? Can anyone give me a reason why there's any difference?
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics/imaginin...
For most of us, or perhaps all of us, it's impossible to imagine a world consisting of more than three spatial dimensions. Are we correct when we intuit that such a world couldn't exist? Or is it that our brains are simply incapable of imagining additional dimensions¬ódimensions that may turn out to be as real as other things we can't detect?
String theorists are betting that extra dimensions do indeed exist; in fact, the equations that describe superstring theory require a universe with no fewer than 10 dimensions. But even physicists who spend all day thinking about extra spatial dimensions have a hard time describing what they might look like or how we apparently feeble-minded humans might approach an understanding of them. That's always been the case, and perhaps always will be.
Theoretical constructs based on known physics and mathematics are not the same as magic. Just because it's difficult to comprehend doesn't make it supernatural.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#3 Jun 3, 2012
Dream-weaver wrote:
Is believing in string-theory
O hai! Ur on teh wrong forum. Plz don't upset teh kittehs. Kthxbai!
Level 6

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#4 Jun 3, 2012
Dream-weaver wrote:
Is believing in string-theory any different than believing in the supernatural? Can anyone give me a reason why there's any difference?
The only requirement for string-theory to be a science is that it must generate a plethora of coherent, precisely stated physical concepts and mathematical ideas. I believe that string-theory satisfies that requirement.
everythingimportant.org/science

Quantum theory is a theory of the supernatural because there is no conceptual basis for why things happen on the quantum level. Thus, theoretically, all physical processes are non-deterministic.
everythingimportant.org/naturalism
MIDutch

Waterford, MI

#5 Jun 3, 2012
Shubee wrote:
<quoted text>The only requirement for string-theory to be a science is that it must generate a plethora of coherent, precisely stated physical concepts and mathematical ideas. I believe that string-theory satisfies that requirement.
everythingimportant.org/science
Quantum theory is a theory of the supernatural because there is no conceptual basis for why things happen on the quantum level. Thus, theoretically, all physical processes are non-deterministic.
everythingimportant.org/naturalism
Still into the self promotion and aggrandizement, I see.
Level 6

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#6 Jun 3, 2012
MIDutch wrote:
<quoted text>
Still into the self promotion and aggrandizement, I see.
Yes, but that's not the only reason I post. I also help others by answering questions on science and theology.

“the truth will set you free...”

Level 1

Since: Nov 10

United States

#7 Jun 3, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Theoretical constructs based on known physics and mathematics are not the same as magic. Just because it's difficult to comprehend doesn't make it supernatural.
There's a difference in something being "difficult to comprehend" and incomprehensible. Is there any candid, clear known physics and mathematics that maps to pre-Big Bang theories based on string theory?
MIDutch

Waterford, MI

#8 Jun 3, 2012
Shubee wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, but that's not the only reason I post. I also help others by answering questions on science and theology.
Bummer that you can't get a paying job doing that, huh?
Level 6

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#9 Jun 3, 2012
MIDutch wrote:
Bummer that you can't get a paying job doing that, huh?
I teach mathematics, physics and theology professionally.
MIDutch

Waterford, MI

#10 Jun 3, 2012
Shubee wrote:
<quoted text>I teach mathematics, physics and theology professionally.
To home school "fundamentalist christian" kids in Richardson, Texas.

Yeah ... we know.[snicker]
MIDutch

Waterford, MI

#11 Jun 3, 2012
Shubee wrote:
<quoted text>I teach mathematics, physics and theology professionally.
You've also claimed to be a professional, working scientist. That was a lie.

Just sayin'.
Level 6

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#12 Jun 3, 2012
MIDutch wrote:
<quoted text>
To home school "fundamentalist christian" kids in Richardson, Texas.
Yeah ... we know.[snicker]
You don't know anything. You lie.
MIDutch wrote:
<quoted text>
You've also claimed to be a professional, working scientist. That was a lie.
Just sayin'.
Yet another lie.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#13 Jun 3, 2012
Shubee wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, but that's not the only reason I post.
Oh great! Who woke up the gimp?
Shubee wrote:
I also help others by answering questions on science and theology.
No you don't. Not unless anyone cares about your particular religious opinions. Even on your own forum the three people you posting there have abandoned you.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#14 Jun 3, 2012
Shubee wrote:
<quoted text> You don't know anything. You lie.
<quoted text>Yet another lie.
Shoob, why are you, a known and confirmed liar accusing other people of lying?
Level 6

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#15 Jun 3, 2012
The Dude wrote:
Shoob, why are you, a known and confirmed liar accusing other people of lying?
If there was a point to it, I'd call you a sadistic, hippophilic necrophile, but that would be beating a dead horse.

Does anyone what to debate why quantum theory is a theory of the supernatural?
Level 6

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#16 Jun 3, 2012
The Dude wrote:
Shoob, why are you, a known and confirmed liar accusing other people of lying?
Furthermore, please explain why you feel a need to defend MIDutch. His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#17 Jun 3, 2012
Shubee wrote:
<quoted text>If there was a point to it, I'd call you a sadistic, hippophilic necrophile, but that would be beating a dead horse.
Does anyone what to debate why quantum theory is a theory of the supernatural?
If they did they'd take it to the physics or supernatural forums.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#18 Jun 3, 2012
Shubee wrote:
<quoted text>Furthermore, please explain why you feel a need to defend MIDutch. His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy.
I didn't come here to aid MIDutch, only to point out to the world that you're just another dishonest lying crank for god who was even thrown out by other fundamentalists for being too fundie for them. Your final sentence there is also quite highly ironic.

So no, no-one really wants to debate with you, since you're not interested in debate in the first place. You're only here for validation.(shrug)
MIDutch

Waterford, MI

#19 Jun 3, 2012
Shubee wrote:
<quoted text>Furthermore, please explain why you feel a need to defend MIDutch. His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy.
LOL.

I'm not the one lying to children about science and theology. I'm not the one who had a restraining order placed on me by the church I was attending. I'm not the one lying about the church that kicked me out. I'm not the one who lies about being a scientist. I'm not the one pretending to be something I'm not just so people visit my website. I'm not the one proudly making a fool out of myself on the internet. I'm not the one whose entire life seems to be a lie.

I'll put my morality up against yours any day.
Level 6

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#20 Jun 3, 2012
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't come here to aid MIDutch, only to point out to the world that you're just another dishonest lying crank for god who was even thrown out by other fundamentalists for being too fundie for them.
Then you're confessing to lying unless you mean that Jesus Christ was too much of a fundie for the Jews.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 min IB DaMann 52,460
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 11 min IB DaMann 552
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 16 min Aura Mytha 24,943
can anyone explain to me why humans are the onl... (Mar '08) 46 min scientia potentia... 1,232
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr scientia potentia... 218,842
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 2 hr 15th Dalai Lama 157,829
Can the universe be God's brain? (Jun '07) Jan 19 scientia potentia... 98
More from around the web