What about world population?

Posted in the Evolution Debate Forum

Since: Apr 14

Location hidden

#1 Apr 25, 2014
I have never heard a good answer to this - can anyone tell me why we only have about 7 billion people in the world? If you take a conservative approach (Darwin's estimates) from 3 propagating couples from the Ark, we would have approx. 6.5 billion people in the world today. If you take it from a very conservative evolution standpoint of a few hundred thousand years we would have trillions of people in the world today - as an evolutionist how do you reconcile this?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#2 Apr 25, 2014
drjoel14 wrote:
I have never heard a good answer to this - can anyone tell me why we only have about 7 billion people in the world? If you take a conservative approach (Darwin's estimates) from 3 propagating couples from the Ark, we would have approx. 6.5 billion people in the world today. If you take it from a very conservative evolution standpoint of a few hundred thousand years we would have trillions of people in the world today - as an evolutionist how do you reconcile this?
birth and death rate have not been constant. In particular, we know that infant mortaility has decreased significantly over the last couple of centuries. That has sparked a huge increase in population. Also, the number of children each couple has changes over time: those settlers in the US west had many more children who survived than people a century before.

Throughout most of history, disease and war have controlled the growth of the population. Your 'conservative' calculation based on the Noah myth is flat-out wrong because it assumes a constant rate of population growth the whole time. Similarly, your claim that there would be trillions of people in the evolutionary scenario also assumes a constant rate of growth. The assumption is justified in neither case.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#3 Apr 25, 2014
drjoel14 wrote:
You are making the mistake of assuming that population growth rates are constant.

They aren't. They have varied over time and have even been negative at times.

The liars who came up with the idiocy that you mentioned set a date for the Flud by using Ussher's work and then calculating what rate would be necessary to get today's population from that date. It is not that hard of a math problem. They also conveniently ignore that given their model only a handful of people would have been around to make the first pyramids. The fact is we can measure past populations by genetic diversity. Using the known rates of evolution we can tell there was a great reduction in human population about 70,000 years ago to roughly 10,000 people:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_bottl...

It has grown considerably since then.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#5 Apr 25, 2014
Heck, the plague in Europe in the 14th century wiped out 1 in 3 people in many countries. Whole villages and counties in England were deserted.

Perhaps that was JESUS at work, culling the population to maintain a healthy numbers, etc.?
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#6 Apr 25, 2014
drjoel14 wrote:
From a pure numbers standpoint there isn't really a problem having today's population after Noah's crew left the Ark. But there does become a problem when you consider that just 100 years later they were (allegedly) building the Tower of Babel, in which case all the women must have been popping out 10 kids a year for a century to get a realistically sized workforce.

Then genetically speaking, you'd need a population of at least about 50 people if humanity is going to survive without screwing itself to extinction due to an absurdly excessive amount of inbreeding.

And then there is also the TINY problem that NO LIFE AT ALL could survive the Noah's Flood scenario, due to the amount of mass moving simultaneously worldwide in the mother of all storms that lasts for 40 days, worldwide. Noah's boat would quite literally be cooked.

No problem for Godmagic though! Which is why evidence doesn't matter to creationism.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 min thetruth 14,435
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 25 min dirtclod 141,652
The conditions necessary for homo sapiens to sp... 1 hr Gillette 4
Why Are There No Transitional Animals Today? (Mar '09) 2 hr Dogen 775
Posting for Points in the Evolution Forum (Oct '11) 5 hr -TheExam- 13,957
Ten Reason Why Evolution Is a Lie (Jul '09) 12 hr NoahLovesU 1,954
Last ditch bid to ban creationism in Scottish c... Jan 22 TurkanaBoy 2
More from around the web