Another Anti-Science Bill

Another Anti-Science Bill

There are 454 comments on the Okie Funk story from Feb 19, 2014, titled Another Anti-Science Bill. In it, Okie Funk reports that:

The Oklahoma House could consider a bill today that if signed into law would undermine science education in the state's classrooms, especially the teaching of evolution theory.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Okie Funk.

First Prev
of 23
Next Last
HtS

Mandan, ND

#1 Feb 19, 2014
How pathetic. Atheists think it's "anti-science" to question conventional dogma. Education of this type is a farce.

“Dinosaurs survived the flood!”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Jesus probably rode dinosaurs!

#2 Feb 19, 2014
HtS wrote:
How pathetic. Atheists think it's "anti-science" to question conventional dogma. Education of this type is a farce.
You are definitely a fully qualified idiot.

This isn't about atheism. It is about providing a sound and valid education to our children and keeping the teaching of religion out of schools.

Look at yourself as an example of what happens to the poorly educated.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#3 Feb 19, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>You are definitely a fully qualified idiot.
This isn't about atheism. It is about providing a sound and valid education to our children and keeping the teaching of religion out of schools.
Look at yourself as an example of what happens to the poorly educated.
Bu..but HE'S a "Medically Trained DOCTOR"!!!

[/SARCASM]
Level 6

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#4 Feb 19, 2014
HtS wrote:
I agree. However, there is a problem with the proposed law:

Blackwell’s amendments, for example, establishes that “... no student in any public school or institution shall be penalized in any way because the student may subscribe to a particular position on scientific theories.”

Wait a minute. What student has been penalized for not subscribing to the theory that the descendants of some ancient fish became philosophers?

For the record, I don't penalize my students for saying that they don't believe in geometry or algebra.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#5 Feb 20, 2014
Shubee wrote:
It's certainly a farce when you fundies ruin public school education by replacing biology with the Flinstones.

By the way, atheism is irrelevant to evolution.
Shubee wrote:
<quoted text> I agree. However, there is a problem with the proposed law:
Blackwell’s amendments, for example, establishes that “... no student in any public school or institution shall be penalized in any way because the student may subscribe to a particular position on scientific theories.”
Wait a minute. What student has been penalized for not subscribing to the theory that the descendants of some ancient fish became philosophers?
For the record, I don't penalize my students for saying that they don't believe in geometry or algebra.
That's because you're stupid. In normal classes kids get penalized for being wrong. They don't all get to choose wildly different answers and all get 100% pass marks.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#6 Feb 20, 2014
Shubee wrote:
The heart and soul of science is the questioning of popular dogmas.
Evolutionists seem to think that it's unscientific to not naively accept that man evolved from a microbe. This is fascism. We have a totalitarian government telling the "peasants" what to believe in.

Level 9

#7 Feb 20, 2014
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolutionists seem to think that it's unscientific to not naively accept that man evolved from a microbe. This is fascism. We have a totalitarian government telling the "peasants" what to believe in.
Science is a way to describe and understand the natural world. Evolution is not a popular dogma. It is an explanation of the facts that in turn support the theory.

Your view is the popular dogma. Yours is a ignorance. You are an ignorant, fearful and intractable minority trying to force your views on others.

Level 9

#8 Feb 20, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Bu..but HE'S a "Medically Trained DOCTOR"!!!
[/SARCASM]
Yeah, I remember the claim, but I have yet to see the evidence to support it.

Perhaps he meant that he is under the care and supervision of doctors.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#9 Feb 20, 2014
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Does every thing you say have to be so far over the top? It is neither fascism nor totalitarianism. Get a grip.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#10 Feb 20, 2014
Shubee wrote:
Hopefully, you do penalize them for getting the algebra or geometry wrong.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#11 Feb 20, 2014
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
It's fascism pointing out you were a zygote? When did you learn about science? 2045AD?
HTS

Englewood, CO

#12 Feb 20, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
It's fascism pointing out you were a zygote? When did you learn about science? 2045AD?
When the government restricts debate in a supposed scientific forum, that is unabashed fascism.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#13 Feb 20, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Science is a way to describe and understand the natural world. Evolution is not a popular dogma. It is an explanation of the facts that in turn support the theory.
Your view is the popular dogma. Yours is a ignorance. You are an ignorant, fearful and intractable minority trying to force your views on others.
I'm not forcing my views on anyone. I'm trying to prevent arrogant bureaucrats from restricting controversy in science curriculums. You have no concept of science if you think simple spoon feeding unsuspecting students a one sided perspective while ignoring all opposing evidence is a legitimate practice.

Orlando

#14 Feb 20, 2014
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>When the government restricts debate in a supposed scientific forum, that is unabashed fascism.
??????????

Have you been self-medicating again?

Orlando

#15 Feb 20, 2014
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not forcing my views on anyone. I'm trying to prevent arrogant bureaucrats from restricting controversy in science curriculums. You have no concept of science if you think simple spoon feeding unsuspecting students a one sided perspective while ignoring all opposing evidence is a legitimate practice.
WHAT "opposing evidence"?

Present it here.

Or perhaps "they" wont let you?

<snicker>

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#16 Feb 20, 2014
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not forcing my views on anyone. I'm trying to prevent arrogant bureaucrats from restricting controversy in science curriculums.
You have no idea what you're talking about. I've been an educator for more than 30 years - both full and part-time. I've worked in public education full time for the last 16 years. Controversy has never been restricted in the science curriculum. Students are encouraged to investigate the evidence and discuss the conclusions. What you want is your non-scientifically supported ideas taught in a science classroom. And that AIN'T science, bub.
HTS wrote:
You have no concept of science if you think simple spoon feeding unsuspecting students a one sided perspective while ignoring all opposing evidence is a legitimate practice.
What evidence? Your "common sense"? Your "obviously"? Hell, you can't even understand the difference between biogenesis and aabiogenesis. Yet you want to dictate the curriculum.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#17 Feb 20, 2014
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>When the government restricts debate in a supposed scientific forum, that is unabashed fascism.
Classrooms are not scientific forums. The scientific arena is a scientific forum. In classrooms students are supposed to learn. They do not get to "debate" over whether or not the Earth is flat. They do not get to "debate" over whether or not the Earth is young or old. They do not get to "debate" over whether or not the Nazi holocaust happened. They are told what happened, and they are told why this is. And they are told about the scientific method, so that when they grow up (something which ain't possible for you) they can THEN use that method to challenge the current convention, IF they feel they have a good case to be able to do so.

The irony is that because you are so opposed to education, your efforts will only ensure evolution could NEVER validly be falsified through scientific investigation. Because all your kids will be claiming biology is all wrong because of (non-falsifiable non-scientific) magical God-poofing.

After all, it's what YOU do.(shrug)
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#18 Feb 20, 2014
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not forcing my views on anyone.
Yes you are. What you are doing is anti-science, illegal, against freedom of religion, and against the US Constitution.

Luckily for you though you don't give a sh t.(shrug)
HTS wrote:
I'm trying to prevent arrogant bureaucrats from restricting controversy in science curriculums.
There is no scientific controversy over evolution. The only "controversy" over it is political, invented by liars for Jesus like you.
HTS wrote:
You have no concept of science
Hooter, I've known four year olds with a better grasp of science than you. You are quite simply an unabashed functionally scientifically illiterate moron. Period. Oh, and it appears your math, history and legal knowledge is as valid as your "four year medical training" - non-existent.
HTS wrote:
if you think simple spoon feeding unsuspecting students a one sided perspective while ignoring all opposing evidence is a legitimate practice.
We've been begging you for YEARS to present that opposing "evidence". Unfortunately you can only regurgitate recycled creationist apologetics which was refuted before you were even born.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#19 Feb 20, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
WHAT "opposing evidence"?
Present it here.
Or perhaps "they" wont let you?
<snicker>
You have no proof of the common descent of species. You haven't even proposed a viable mechanism whereby DNA can increase in information over time through mutations.
To imply that no controversy exists only underscores your fanatical bias toward your worldview.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#20 Feb 20, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you are. What you are doing is anti-science, illegal, against freedom of religion, and against the US Constitution.
Luckily for you though you don't give a sh t.(shrug)
<quoted text>
There is no scientific controversy over evolution. The only "controversy" over it is political, invented by liars for Jesus like you.
<quoted text>
Hooter, I've known four year olds with a better grasp of science than you. You are quite simply an unabashed functionally scientifically illiterate moron. Period. Oh, and it appears your math, history and legal knowledge is as valid as your "four year medical training" - non-existent.
<quoted text>
We've been begging you for YEARS to present that opposing "evidence". Unfortunately you can only regurgitate recycled creationist apologetics which was refuted before you were even born.
So your idea of "education" is force-feeding students information that they could just as easily obtain at home on the Internet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 23
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 5 min THE LONE WORKER 199,480
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 14 min DanFromSmithville 35,414
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 16 min Patrick 14,959
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 3 hr ChromiuMan 151,358
the dinosaurs of the lega-warega people: racial... 5 hr MIDutch 2
Ribose can be produced in space 5 hr MIDutch 7
And another gap gets closed 5 hr MIDutch 1
More from around the web