Next Last

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#24 Jul 12, 2013
CH2O2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Basically, what you are saying is that if I have a question I should not bother asking it in a forum dedicated to that subject and insted go read a book. Or maybe what you are saying is that you just don't like me and this forum should be off limits for me. Give me a break, will ya?
What they are saying is that they are a clique of pusssseeee's and if you don't agree with them they will attack you in packs and run you down, ridicule you and just basically tell you that you are an idiot. It is all they know how to do.

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#25 Jul 12, 2013
CH2O2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Basically, what you are saying is that if I have a question I should not bother asking it in a forum dedicated to that subject and insted go read a book. Or maybe what you are saying is that you just don't like me and this forum should be off limits for me. Give me a break, will ya?
Well to be correct this forum is about the debate regarding evolution, but I think that shouldn't eliminate questions related to the subject. That is necessary for clarification. But what many of us mean, is that this forum and to different extents, the participants are limited in addressing subjects in depth.

You have been made aware that many people use such questions as a ruse to attack those supporting the science side. If you are truly looking for information to expand your knowledge and understanding, then give us more to go on. What problem are you trying to solve? Why this particular subject? Providing some background might help establish your bonafides.

Finally, you have been given some answers to your question in the posts above. It is rare that you would find any one person that is universally knowledgeable on every aspect of evolution, molecular biology, genetics, geology and so on. We can only offer what we know and I think most of the science folks here are seriously concerned in providing information that is as correct as they know.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#26 Jul 12, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
What they are saying is that they are a clique of pusssseeee's and if you don't agree with them they will attack you in packs and run you down, ridicule you and just basically tell you that you are an idiot. It is all they know how to do.
Irony meter go boom.

Level 2

Since: Jul 13

Funchal, Portugal

#27 Jul 15, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Well to be correct this forum is about the debate regarding evolution, but I think that shouldn't eliminate questions related to the subject. That is necessary for clarification.
I agree.
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Well
But what many of us mean, is that this forum and to different extents, the participants are limited in addressing subjects in depth.
I dont expect that everybody knows the answer to my question. If nobody in this forum can give me an answer that is just fine. But I also expect to be treated with respect. If a forum member does not know the answer to my question that member does not need to attack me.
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Well
You have been made aware that many people use such questions as a ruse to attack those supporting the science side.
But I did not do that and I will not be responsible for other peoples actions. If you read my posts I have never, not even once, made any argument supporting creationism.
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Well
If you are truly looking for information to expand your knowledge and understanding, then give us more to go on.
What problem are you trying to solve?
At fecundation, homologous maternal and paternal chromossomes conjugate to make a 2n egg.
What is the celular mechanism during fecundation wich allows cells with different chromosome numbers to make a viable egg?
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Well
Why this particular subject?
Because I know it happens with different related species but I canīt understaand how it happens.
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Well
Providing some background might help establish your bonafides.
I donīt understand what background I'm supposed to provide.
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Well
Finally, you have been given some answers to your question in the posts above.
I am thankful for the answers. However, those establish what I already know, that fecundation between species with different chromosome numbers is possible. I wish to understand how, at the celular level, does that happen.
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Well
It is rare that you would find any one person that is universally knowledgeable on every aspect of evolution, molecular biology, genetics, geology and so on.
I think that is why most of us joins a forum like this one. Because each one of us can contribute with a piece of the puzzle.
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Well
We can only offer what we know and I think most of the science folks here are seriously concerned in providing information that is as correct as they know.
I believe that is the case for most members. Unfortunately, from my experience, it seems some of the science guys are more concerned in fighting than sharing knowledge.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#28 Jul 15, 2013
CH2O2 wrote:
<quoted text>
At fecundation, homologous maternal and paternal chromossomes conjugate to make a 2n egg.
What is the celular mechanism during fecundation wich allows cells with different chromosome numbers to make a viable egg?
<quoted text>
Because I know it happens with different related species but I canīt understaand how it happens.
Why not email the faculty at your local university (or ANY university)-- someone who specializes in DNA, etc.?

Do you really think someone here has that depth of knowledge? It's POSSIBLE, of course, but not likely.

I mean, assuming you really DO want to know....:)

Level 9

#29 Jul 15, 2013
CH2O2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree.
<quoted text>
I dont expect that everybody knows the answer to my question. If nobody in this forum can give me an answer that is just fine. But I also expect to be treated with respect. If a forum member does not know the answer to my question that member does not need to attack me.
<quoted text>
But I did not do that and I will not be responsible for other peoples actions. If you read my posts I have never, not even once, made any argument supporting creationism.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I donīt understand what background I'm supposed to provide.
<quoted text>
I am thankful for the answers. However, those establish what I already know, that fecundation between species with different chromosome numbers is possible. I wish to understand how, at the celular level, does that happen.
<quoted text>
I think that is why most of us joins a forum like this one. Because each one of us can contribute with a piece of the puzzle.
<quoted text>
I believe that is the case for most members. Unfortunately, from my experience, it seems some of the science guys are more concerned in fighting than sharing knowledge.
I don't mind trying to answer your question, but I am not a molecular biologist and can only provide the general information I know. Since these sorts of things often lead to infertility within offspring between species, but within the same population of the same species, there must have been at least one instance where fertility was not a barrier or much of one. As to the underlying molecular mechanism, I don't now it and have not read a detail account of it anywhere. It is a good and interesting question. Don't give up. If you find anything please post it here with links if possible. I would like to know more.

Level 2

Funchal, Portugal

#30 Jul 15, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not email the faculty at your local university (or ANY university)-- someone who specializes in DNA, etc.?
That sounds like a good idea. I'll do just that. Thank you.
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you really think someone here has that depth of knowledge? It's POSSIBLE, of course, but not likely.
I did not imagine it would be such a difficult topic.
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
I mean, assuming you really DO want to know....:)
I do want to know. I don't believe I gave anybody reason to think otherwise. If you read my comments in this forum without pre-conceived ideias, I am sure you will come to that conclusion.

Level 9

#31 Jul 17, 2013
CH2O2 wrote:
<quoted text>
That sounds like a good idea. I'll do just that. Thank you.
<quoted text>
I did not imagine it would be such a difficult topic.
<quoted text>
I do want to know. I don't believe I gave anybody reason to think otherwise. If you read my comments in this forum without pre-conceived ideias, I am sure you will come to that conclusion.
CH2O2? Formic acid?

Level 2

Lisbon, Portugal

#32 Jul 18, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>CH2O2? Formic acid?
Yes :)

I keep ant colonies. I've used this account name since I once inhaled quite a lot of it, while collecting a Formica colony. Not a pleasant thing to do...

Level 9

#33 Jul 18, 2013
CH2O2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes :)
I keep ant colonies. I've used this account name since I once inhaled quite a lot of it, while collecting a Formica colony. Not a pleasant thing to do...
Interesting. After seeing it for a while, it finally dawned on me.

No, I can't imagine it is. I have on occasion inhaled the odd insect but usually with no ill effects. Nothing like what you mention. Though, I often forget to wash my hands after handling a fiery searcher or similar carabids. It can be an equally unpleasant experience if you rub your eyes.

Research colonies or hobby?

Level 2

Lisbon, Portugal

#35 Jul 19, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Interesting. After seeing it for a while, it finally dawned on me.
No, I can't imagine it is. I have on occasion inhaled the odd insect but usually with no ill effects. Nothing like what you mention. Though, I often forget to wash my hands after handling a fiery searcher or similar carabids. It can be an equally unpleasant experience if you rub your eyes.
Research colonies or hobby?
Hobby.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#36 Jul 19, 2013
I've often wondered, as I run my lawn mower over the tip of an ant's nest in my lawn, whether they think they have been singled out for some sort of violent retribution by an angry God, etc.

As above, so below, and all that....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 11 min replaytime 83,250
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 3 hr Dogen 164,711
Are you from Tennessee? 6 hr Science 1
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 9 hr Dogen 2,578
SEX did not EVOLVE 9 hr Dogen 185
Evolutionists are anti-conspiracy theorists and... 10 hr Al Caplan 10
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 12 hr Hoosier Hillbilly 223,049
More from around the web