Helping Officers Cope with Traumatic Events

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

There have been two officer-involved shootings recently in Albemarle County. A tough choice for police means tragedy for friends and family when officers use deadly force.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 19 of19
reality rob

Waynesboro, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

most cops want to shoot someone...that is why they become cops...
jogger

Hillsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

Once a cop starts feeling like he/she is like everyone else is the day they need to get out of police work.....because you are not suited for the job.....
Guardian

Farmville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

jogger wrote:
Once a cop starts feeling like he/she is like everyone else is the day they need to get out of police work.....because you are not suited for the job.....
Do you mean the day that they realize they are but human, and make mistakes, and that they should take responsibility for their actions, and actually tell the truth? Is that what you mean, or is it the "Noble Lie" that they have to accept to be a cop,the idea that they are better than everyone else in their community and are deserving of special protections, privileges, even leniency for any wrong doing. Many honestly believe that just about any wrong they do can be justified,as long as it was done while wearing a badge, and carrying a gun, under the color of law. What government paid assistance is provided for the citizen victims, and their families in cases of unlawful shootings by law enforcement?
Really

Amelia Court House, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

Guardian wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you mean the day that they realize they are but human, and make mistakes, and that they should take responsibility for their actions, and actually tell the truth? Is that what you mean, or is it the "Noble Lie" that they have to accept to be a cop,the idea that they are better than everyone else in their community and are deserving of special protections, privileges, even leniency for any wrong doing. Many honestly believe that just about any wrong they do can be justified,as long as it was done while wearing a badge, and carrying a gun, under the color of law. What government paid assistance is provided for the citizen victims, and their families in cases of unlawful shootings by law enforcement?
I am not sure why you started talking about the officer who makes a mistake. Yes, police do make mistakes, they are human as you state. At the end of your post you imply that someone has been killed wrongfully by the police. Does it happen, sure. It seems you are speaking about local incidents. If you are speaking about local police shootings, tell me about one that the officer(s) were found to be wrong or was charged with something related to the shooting!

And the government assistance you are speaking of is called a lawsuit. Most families file lawsuits against the police and anyone else that might have some money, even if the police were correct in their actions. They do this because they know that the government will settle, because it is cheaper than fighting it.
Roy g Biv

Harrisonburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

Any arm of government can't be trusted and if the police think otherwise, they are not thinking clearly
Really

Amelia Court House, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

reality rob wrote:
Yeah, I know many police officers and all of them are just waiting for the day to shoot someone. This way they can be judged by idiots like you, and they can be put through all the negativity on blogs like this. Oh and they won't sleep soundly for awhile, if ever because they know they took someone's life and loved one away. They also get to fight with people, get shot at and defend strangers from others that want to do them harm. Get to work nights, weekends, be away from their family not knowing if they will come home again. Sounds like a glorious job to me, especially when you get talked about like dogs. The starting pay for a police officer is about $35,000 a year. Not much pay for a dangerous unforgiving job.

Remember your statement and make sure if you ever have an emergency don't call the police because they might want to just shoot you.

Adam

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

This is good. It is unfortunate combat vets don 't get the same close support.
Buford T Justice

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

Guardian wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said the officer made a mistake and didn't tell the truth? Perhaps you should go back to sleeping in court.
Really NBC29

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

I am not defending Gregory or bashing the officer involoved...I was not there and did not have to make that decision. What I am MOST DISGUSTED by is that this story is aired today, the day that the family are putting Gregory in the ground. NBC29 could you not have held this story for a day? Disgusting, insensitive and just makes you all look like a*sholes...
Afraid

Lexington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

When cops can use deadly force on someone running toward them, what is next? I guess we can fire all the judges and let uneducated police officers decide life or death for anyone they want. I will now avoid any cop in Albemarle or town cops of Charlottesville. If one is walking toward me I will walk briskly away from him, but never run!
Old Hare

Orange, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

reality rob wrote:
That is possibly he most idiotic and ill informed post I have ever seen post in these boards... You should just go find a quiet place and spin the cylinder with all chambers loaded, the world would be a better place.
Guardian

Farmville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Really wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not sure why you started talking about the officer who makes a mistake. Yes, police do make mistakes, they are human as you state. At the end of your post you imply that someone has been killed wrongfully by the police. Does it happen, sure. It seems you are speaking about local incidents. If you are speaking about local police shootings, tell me about one that the officer(s) were found to be wrong or was charged with something related to the shooting!
And the government assistance you are speaking of is called a lawsuit. Most families file lawsuits against the police and anyone else that might have some money, even if the police were correct in their actions. They do this because they know that the government will settle, because it is cheaper than fighting it.
How about the unarmed 16 year old boy shot in the face three times at point blank range from a rookie game warden who answered a domestic with the Greene County Sheriffs office. He was charged with manslaughter, but when the state of Virginia provided a crack team of lawyers to defend him,the Greene County Prosecutor tucked his tail between his legs and let him walk. That Game Warden was later awarded a Certificate of Valor for his fiasco by the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. Their hypocrisy has no limits, and nothing they say can be trusted. Hell lying is just part of the job these days. When they screw up they know they will get the best lawyers available.
DirtKicker

Palmyra, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Guardian wrote:
<quoted text>
How about the unarmed 16 year old boy shot in the face three times at point blank range from a rookie game warden who answered a domestic with the Greene County Sheriffs office. He was charged with manslaughter, but when the state of Virginia provided a crack team of lawyers to defend him,the Greene County Prosecutor tucked his tail between his legs and let him walk. That Game Warden was later awarded a Certificate of Valor for his fiasco by the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. Their hypocrisy has no limits, and nothing they say can be trusted. Hell lying is just part of the job these days. When they screw up they know they will get the best lawyers available.
I remember that, kid tried to run over the game warden if I remember right. He pulled him over after he fled the scene with the victim in the car. He then attempted to run over the game warden, who opened fire, killing him. Same thing with the Eppard kid, opened fire on police, got what he deserved. Both justified, just like the last one on 250...

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

Really wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I know many police officers and all of them are just waiting for the day to shoot someone. This way they can be judged by idiots like you, and they can be put through all the negativity on blogs like this. Oh and they won't sleep soundly for awhile, if ever because they know they took someone's life and loved one away. They also get to fight with people, get shot at and defend strangers from others that want to do them harm. Get to work nights, weekends, be away from their family not knowing if they will come home again. Sounds like a glorious job to me, especially when you get talked about like dogs. The starting pay for a police officer is about $35,000 a year. Not much pay for a dangerous unforgiving job.
Remember your statement and make sure if you ever have an emergency don't call the police because they might want to just shoot you.
b 4 real

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

Old Hare wrote:
<quoted text>
That is possibly he most idiotic and ill informed post I have ever seen post in these boards... You should just go find a quiet place and spin the cylinder with all chambers loaded, the world would be a better place.
get hooked on phonics

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

Really wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I know many police officers and all of them are just waiting for the day to shoot someone.
really
Guardian

Farmville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

DirtKicker wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember that, kid tried to run over the game warden if I remember right. He pulled him over after he fled the scene with the victim in the car. He then attempted to run over the game warden, who opened fire, killing him. Same thing with the Eppard kid, opened fire on police, got what he deserved. Both justified, just like the last one on 250...
Spoken like a true boot licker!
Guardian

Farmville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

DirtKicker wrote:
<quoted text>
There was no "victim" in the car, she was his girlfriend. There was no kidnapping. The warden was charged with manslaughter, was he not? This happens after every officer shooting, right? The dead never have the luxury of telling their side of the story. Keep believing in the good old boy fairy tales. In the Eppard case, why did the cops dispose of the shot up vehicle as fast as they did? Maybe it was the bullet holes in the vehicle, and the boy's blood stains in the drivers side seat that told a different version than the one released. One of the officers involved, and who gave statements in that case was later fired for having sex with his supervisor while on duty, while married to another women. Not exactly the kind of individual that I was say was above reproach. Keep believing whatever helps you sleep at night.
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Judged:

Does this include running into people in wheel chairs and trying to cover it up by getting ANOTHER cop to write it up as J walking. Maybe if THEY were the ones getting shot I might take another view but these days cops are shooting everybody.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 19 of19
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Events Discussions

Search the Events Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
This Week in Bayonne Wed edward haas 2
Obama's pathetic response to Putin's invasion o... Apr 22 The Truth 153
Neighborhood news: Spring Creek Village Apr 19 Red 1
Halton Green Screens: A Sense... Apr 16 UNESCO Biosphere eh 1
Fun stuff: Miley, mountains and music Apr 4 M Robert 2
Playbook for major Santa Cruz events spelled out Apr 2 John Colby 3
Faith Briefs March 29 Mar 30 Androgynous DR SOS 1
•••
•••