Virginia Beach doctor has license suspended

According to the Virginia Department of Medicine, Dr. Stephen Plotnick was treating patients at his office on Virginia Beach Boulevard in a way that's not consistent with Virginia Code; allowing patients to ... Full Story
First Prev
of 21
Next Last
Gwen

Chesapeake, VA

#403 Oct 29, 2012
Bess wrote:
I have been fortunate to have Dr. Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, & Myofascial Pain syndrome. He is the most educated doctor around for Fibromyalgia, as well as being an extremely compassionate man. He does let patients decide which meds are the most effective, such as other doctors do. He and his staff have a well established checks and balances system, including random urine testing for amounts of prescribed drugs in their system. They also counsel, and are always on the lookout for abuse. They count on the patient to be honest and forthwith on their needs. Ultimately the responsibility lies in each patient to take the prescribed amount when needed. If each viewer out there were to spend a week in our shoes, to feel the ongoing horrible pain each and every day, you, too, would be open to relief AND the responsibility of taking the correct amount. Accountability by the patient is never mentioned in the news story, and, ultimately, THAT is a main point. I stand by Dr. Plotnick, and wish him a speedy return to full business. In the meantime, I am running against a brick wall by doctors who are too scared to shoulder up to prescribing the narcotics that I require for daily living.
Dr Plotnick was my doctor as well. When I met him on the first visit back in October 2006, I felt that he gave me hope. No other doctor has treated me that way since having fibro. I had some to think it was imaginary pain, some would did not know much about the pain of fibromyalgia, and some I just don't know what they were thinking. I had him for a season and found him to be very nice and cordial, very knowlegable of Fibromyalgia, caring, and he even gave me lunch on my first visit. He did try to help everyone. I was shocked to hear about the death of some of the people who had been his patients. I really agree with the comment that Bess wrote and some of the others that I read. Hopefully he has regained his license to practice again and help chronically ill people. It has been four years since this happened and I hope that he has survived the accusations. Thanks Dr. Plotnick for what you did for me.
Gwen

Chesapeake, VA

#404 Oct 29, 2012
Chester wrote:
If the Medical Board suspended every Doctor's license after they had a patient to die, I don't think we would have very many Doctors to see.
<quoted text>
To Greg. That was not nice to say. Hopefuly you or no one in your family ever need pain management. Furthermore, I hope that no one in your famiy pasess away and hear someone saying that they are not in pain anymore because they're dead. That was to me you being very insensitive to the deceased families.
Gwen

Chesapeake, VA

#405 Oct 29, 2012
Stephen Collier wrote:
Thank you, guys, for understanding the nasty situation that people with FM, CFS, and other mysterious chronic conditions! It's very aggravating when people who don't get it try to give advice based on what's worked for them or someone they know. The situations are not equal.
Many of us have been through many many doctors and treatments with little success. We've tried exercise (I personally go into shock when I've exercised enough to run out of oxygen... it's a major disincentive... there's a reason why very healthy soldiers don't get up after being shot & it's often nothing to do with the hole in them... it's the shock), acupuncture, sleep meds, light therapy... you name it, we've done it. We go through doctor after doctor because they give up on us.
That's the tragedy here. We finally find a doctor who's willing to try things others don't want to, who finds solutions for us that actually work, and now he's taken away from us. Who the hell am I going to go to now? It's not like I can call up any old doctor and get the help Dr. Plotnick gives. It'll be another long period of trial after trial and doctor after doctor giving up on me again.
The issues raised against Dr. Plotnick did not have to lead to this. He's a good guy doing risky work and the medical board could work with him on things instead.(I did write them an email I got from the site listed above)
Thanks Stephen. You are the type of person who is not afraid to tell the truth. You are a real man. You remind me of the man that I married who is caring, loves me even in my pain, defends me when people don't understand the daily struggles that I face every day of my life. I have also been from doctor to doctor since losing Dr. Ploctnick. My primary care and other doctors that I have seen, just don't understand what fibromyalgia does to a person. We don't want to be in this predicament. I hope that you have found a Dr. to help you. I did end up finding another pain doctor after having Dr. Ploctnick for two years. Unfortunately after leaving Dr. Plotnic in 2006, I have just lost this one as well, due to something concerning the Medical Board. That doctor was very caring and very helpful in trying to help me with my pain. Regardless of all who do not understand what all of us face, I know that I do not want to be in this situation and know you don't either. They need to WALK, SLEEP, or LIVE just ONE day in our shoes and they will truly see things in a different light. Thanks for encouraging me with your comment, four years later. I found this article about Dr. Plotnick online four years after the allegations. I am wondering what has happened to him. I meant to mention that I am on my fourth pain doctor who wants me to take another approach to some of my pain. I am hesitant to what he wants me to do, see a surgeon and get a shot into my C-spine. I will not give up and hope you do not either. I have tried to get social security disability for the last fourteen years. I've been denied three times. I will not give up and hope to feel better before I leave this world. To all of you who says exercise: You try exercising when you don't even feel like getting out of bed due to the pain and also the lack of rest that comes from the lack of sleep for those of us who suffers with this painful debilitating pain syndrome. Be blessed.
Veo

Virginia Beach, VA

#406 Jan 30, 2013
Definitely, no one has the full story. I know that he over prescribed meds (and that is spelled OVER). Hundreds of controlled substances, a variety of them, prescribed at the same time! When I complained that I couldn't walk with the amount of meds he was giving me, he said I was medically uncompliant. It wouldn't have been so bad if he actually had tests performed to determine what was fibro, arthritis, or nerve damage from a car accident. 5 people died. I pulled the railing off the stairs to my condo 2x trying to get up the stairs. I returned the pills to his office, as requested, but the pills were not disposed of in front of me. This is one thing that the State objected to. My medical reports, that he typed himself at the end of our sessions, are crazy. I had told my regular Dr that I thought Dr Plotnik was on drugs before it all went down. 5 people died. I could have died, as well, if I had taken all those pills he prescribed. I could have killed someone while trying to drive to his office. When I spoke to my Pharmacist about the handful of prescriptions for hundreds of controlled substances, she said, "I'm glad you came to me because I want to report him. She did. I spoke to someone from some agency. 5 people died that we know of. There could have been more. Yes, there are good Pain Doctors but Dr. Plotnik isn't one of them. 5 people died. He is teaching in some local college. He didn't go to jail. He should have.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 21
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drugs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Detente spawns Cuban worry on US migration rights 3 hr Stage 4 STUPID 1
Can GOP shatter 'Obama coalition' in 2016? 7 hr Zeppelin 1
Massena man sentenced to prison for cocaine sale 8 hr enter username 33
Ware County deputies find more than 50 pounds o... Thu Django Freeman 1
Teacher, Husband Charged With Allowing Teens To... Thu regurgitating 2
WVSP make Drug and DUI arrest; Other criminal c... Wed bump 4
Rome woman accused of heroin possession Wed blond ambition 15
More from around the web