Virginia Beach doctor has license sus...

Virginia Beach doctor has license suspended

There are 404 comments on the WAVY Norfolk Hampton Roads story from Aug 12, 2008, titled Virginia Beach doctor has license suspended. In it, WAVY Norfolk Hampton Roads reports that:

According to the Virginia Department of Medicine, Dr. Stephen Plotnick was treating patients at his office on Virginia Beach Boulevard in a way that's not consistent with Virginia Code; allowing patients to ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WAVY Norfolk Hampton Roads.

First Prev
of 21
Next Last
MWatson

Chesapeake, VA

#1 Aug 12, 2008
Dr Plotnick saved my life and countless others and I am sure he will be cleared of all charges...
GDidier

Hampton, VA

#2 Aug 12, 2008
Personally, I don't think you have everyones story. Ask those of us who were ready to give up before going to Dr. Plotnick. He doesn't rush us through like most doctors and he really listens. I have been seeing him for about 8 years now and I'm not hooked on anything and have a good quality of life.
I think you should hunt down the quacks and leave the good doctors alone.
Eja

Portsmouth, VA

#3 Aug 12, 2008
I have been a patient of Dr. Plotnick's since the very beginning of his private practice. To me and to many others suffering with fibro, he is our angel. Only some of his patients depend on narcotic meds -- it's a stepping stone until the chemicals in the brain are balanced and then other combinations of non-narcotic meds can begin to do their job -- the "filtering", as he calls it. He has always maintained that narcotic meds are not the solution -- Dr. Plotnick is constantly talking of battling the causes, not just the symptoms. He is a patient, understanding, highly intelligent physician who takes time with each patient and the patient's family. He is one of very few physicians in this country who can be labeled as an "expert" in treating fibromyalgia. I will support him during this difficult time, and will look forward to seeing him in the office for my next visit.
vmak

Norfolk, VA

#4 Aug 12, 2008
As a past patient Dr. Plotnick did what dozens of doctors over two years could not: He listened and was finally able to properly diagnose my condition. He restored my faith in the medical profession and today i do not just tolerate life, I live it. Most of the patients Dr. Plotnick treats have conditions that are chronic, unbelievably painful, and have no difinitive cause, treatment, or cure. Since these conditions are life long and have no cure the treatments focus on making the patients lives as comfortable as possible and slow disease progression in hopes that a better treatment or cure will be found.He has not been my physician in some time but I ask that both sides of the story be weighed and judgement reserved until all of the facts are heard.
LarryD

Virginia Beach, VA

#5 Aug 13, 2008
I'm not sure, but I think Narcotic medications are legal with a prescription. If a doctor prescribes medication to a patient that has serious pain for 3 pills a day and the patient takes the whole bottle and dies, that seems to be the patients' fault and not the doctor.
Frank Stone

Norfolk, VA

#6 Aug 13, 2008
As a current patient of Dr. Plotnick I can say without any reservation, this is a caring physician. He's been my doctor since he entered private practice and I have 100% confidence in his treatment. There was not another doctor that would even listen to me and my ailments until he came along. Although controlled medications are part of the early treatment of fibro, we have progressed to the point where I am needing less and less with each visit. There has never been a visit to his office where he has not taken every available opportunity to discuss my treatment options. Periodically he sends me to the hospital for lab work to ensure that my regiment is not causing additional harm to me. Don't tell me that this doctor does not deserve my respect. If it were not for him, I would probably not be alive. Keep the faith Stephen. Your patients are behind you. Just ask us and we will step forward to help defend you and your practice.
Bess

Virginia Beach, VA

#7 Aug 13, 2008
I have been fortunate to have Dr. Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, & Myofascial Pain syndrome. He is the most educated doctor around for Fibromyalgia, as well as being an extremely compassionate man. He does let patients decide which meds are the most effective, such as other doctors do. He and his staff have a well established checks and balances system, including random urine testing for amounts of prescribed drugs in their system. They also counsel, and are always on the lookout for abuse. They count on the patient to be honest and forthwith on their needs. Ultimately the responsibility lies in each patient to take the prescribed amount when needed. If each viewer out there were to spend a week in our shoes, to feel the ongoing horrible pain each and every day, you, too, would be open to relief AND the responsibility of taking the correct amount. Accountability by the patient is never mentioned in the news story, and, ultimately, THAT is a main point. I stand by Dr. Plotnick, and wish him a speedy return to full business. In the meantime, I am running against a brick wall by doctors who are too scared to shoulder up to prescribing the narcotics that I require for daily living.
Bess

Virginia Beach, VA

#8 Aug 13, 2008
I have been fortunate to have Dr. Plotnick to treat my severe Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, & Myofascial Pain syndrome. He is the most educated doctor around for Fibromyalgia, as well as being an extremely compassionate man. He does let patients decide which meds are the most effective, such as other doctors do. He and his staff have a well established checks and balances system, including random urine testing for amounts of prescribed drugs in their system. They also counsel, and are always on the lookout for abuse. They count on the patient to be honest and forthwith on their needs. Ultimately the responsibility lies in each patient to take the prescribed amount when needed. If each viewer out there were to spend a week in our shoes, to feel the ongoing horrible pain each and every day, you, too, would be open to relief AND the responsibility of taking the correct amount. Accountability by the patient is never mentioned in the news story, and, ultimately, THAT is a main point. I stand by Dr. Plotnick, and wish him a speedy return to full business. In the meantime, I am running against a brick wall by doctors who are too scared to shoulder up to prescribing the narcotics that I require for daily living.
MaryW

Portsmouth, VA

#9 Aug 13, 2008
I have been a patient of Dr. Plotnicks for the past three years. He rescued me. He cares how you feel and has only prescribed the medication to help get past the pain. I can now look forward to getting up in the morning. I am not totally pain free, but it now is manageable. He is the best doctor for fibro. Interviews from patients that are benefiting from his services should be heard
Ungi Va Beach

Virginia Beach, VA

#10 Aug 13, 2008
Dr.P came into my life when my last Dr. retired and no other physician would step in to help me.I went all over Hampton Roads to no avail.I must give credit to him and his staff where credit is due.Although short in duration,my pain for Fibromyalgia is slowing down and just last month,i was able to evaulate myself as "improving".The follow up care in his office requires you to sign papers to understand the importance of compliance between Dr. and patient.The patient MUST take responsibility for their care and actions.This Dr. can not "baby sit" a patient 24/7...we are all ADULTS in his practice.He does a large amount to teaching with his patients(so much that he always falls behind on his appointment times,hence,our office visits often last as long as 3 hours to speak with him).
The man administers random urine drug screens,and this should be done,this way he is aware of his patients actions...not all patients will tell the TRUTH when it comes to things that will "make them feel better"and take away this horrible pain we suffer with on a daily basis.
I believe in Dr. Plotnick.He is an extremely intelligent man...he knows his stuff! I speak for all the patients i see monthly sitting in his waiting room who talk constantly about their pain and how much this man has helped all of us.
This is a very dedicated Dr. and his staff is amazing as to how much stress they endure daily.Your patients are behind you Dr. P. keep your chin up,and let me know when the court date is..i am ready to go to Richmond and help you as you have helped me over this obsticle in my life.
HILLAREY

AOL

#11 Aug 13, 2008
I think this is a total disgrace to the medical profession and gives doctors who are truly trying to get their patients off narcotics a bad name. I have been in the medical profession for 15 years and never have I seen a physician who pretty much gave patients free reign over what rx's to "try out" before deciding which combo they liked the best. In my opinion this was just setting up cases of disaster. I'm truly sorry for the patients who lost their lives and their famlies who trusted this physician to care for their loved one just to have them die from a drug overdose.
HILLAREY

AOL

#12 Aug 13, 2008
In my years of nursing I have never met a doctor or worked for a doctor that willing gave 2, 3, or even 4, different rx's for Schedule II and Schedule III narcotics and told them to " try them out" and let me know what works for you. this is absurd.
Bess wrote:
I have been fortunate to have Dr. Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, & Myofascial Pain syndrome. He is the most educated doctor around for Fibromyalgia, as well as being an extremely compassionate man. He does let patients decide which meds are the most effective, such as other doctors do. He and his staff have a well established checks and balances system, including random urine testing for amounts of prescribed drugs in their system. They also counsel, and are always on the lookout for abuse. They count on the patient to be honest and forthwith on their needs. Ultimately the responsibility lies in each patient to take the prescribed amount when needed. If each viewer out there were to spend a week in our shoes, to feel the ongoing horrible pain each and every day, you, too, would be open to relief AND the responsibility of taking the correct amount. Accountability by the patient is never mentioned in the news story, and, ultimately, THAT is a main point. I stand by Dr. Plotnick, and wish him a speedy return to full business. In the meantime, I am running against a brick wall by doctors who are too scared to shoulder up to prescribing the narcotics that I require for daily living.
Freddy

Virginia Beach, VA

#13 Aug 13, 2008
Hillarey may have been in the medical field for 15 years, but it's obvious she knows nothing about Pain Management or Dr. Plotnick.
Abby

Virginia Beach, VA

#14 Aug 13, 2008
Make sure you have your facts straight before judging this doctor, as sometimes I don't believe the media does. I started seeing Dr. Plotnick eight years ago when I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. All the previous comments from his patients are absolutely true. I could never call in to get a prescription refill without being first examined by appointment with Dr. Plotnick. When I was first diagnosed he was very careful about getting the disease under control by using certain meds only for as long as necessary. I don't believe he just handed out various scripts for narcotics and let the patient pick and choose. Look what happened to Heath Ledger...did he not OD? Is his doctor being blamed for his carelessness?(and if he is Im not caught up on that case) We are prescribed these meds and how to take them. Not following the directions can be harmful and the doctor is not to blame.
HILLAREY wrote:
In my years of nursing I have never met a doctor or worked for a doctor that willing gave 2, 3, or even 4, different rx's for Schedule II and Schedule III narcotics and told them to " try them out" and let me know what works for you. this is absurd.<quoted text>
Aleigh

Raleigh, NC

#15 Aug 13, 2008
I know nothing about this doctor, but I am going through what some of these families have went through with there loved ones either committing suicide or trying too. That is what just happend with my family after a differnt doctor from VA Beach did the same things as Doctor Plotnick did to his patients. Hopefully you will be seeing this other doctor in the news soon. Thank goodness my mom did not die, we found her in time and she is still recovering. To those families who were not as fortunate as ours, my prayers are with you. Those meds do things to your body that it can not control, especially when you are on ones that shound not be combined together and your doctor does not even care see how they effect your mental state of mind. It is a combination for disaster. These types of doctors need to not have a license to practice.
Richard Mastromarino

Virginia Beach, VA

#16 Aug 13, 2008
As a patient of Dr. Plotnick I am truly dismayed that the Virginia Department of Medicine would chose at this time to suspend Dr. Plotnick's licence. I can only state that this man has been a godsend for myself and a great many of his fellow patients I'm sure. He has treated me since 2003 and without his keen judgement and total professionalism, my life, both at home and at work, would have continued to suffer as it had prior to '03. How can he be blamed for the misuse of medicines by a very small number of people he has seen ? Would the state of Va. think of closing down every car dealership because of the reckless driving of some of it's customers ? This is an injustice that, I'm confident, will be anseared soon with the truth, and Dr. Plotnick will be able to continue to practice, and be the tremendous asset to his patients and the community at large as he has in the past.
Aleigh

Raleigh, NC

#17 Aug 13, 2008
I am with you on this one Hillarey!
another user

United States

#18 Aug 13, 2008
Is my "OXI" script still valid?
Cindy

Virginia Beach, VA

#19 Aug 13, 2008
Dr Plotnick has been a godsend in my life. I have been a patient for 3 years and have never gotten a script without an appt. I signed the contract at my first visit and he has never told me to "try" certain drugs or ask what I wanted to use. I listened to him and took his advise and am now on my way to recovery with my Fibro. I look forward to him getting beyond this crap and continuing to serve his patients with the devoted caring he has always shown me.
HILLAREY

AOL

#20 Aug 13, 2008
For every who thinks Dr Plotnick is a "godsend" you should read the reports brought forth by the State Board of Medicine. I deal with patients everyday who have chronic pain and classic fibromyalgia and there is a combination of medications that aren't narcotics. My cousin has fibromyalgia so I know all about the pain that is associated with that. So don't judge me just because I work in the medical profession. I also have numerous friends who have Rheumatoid Arthritis and they don't relay on Narcotics.
Abby wrote:
Make sure you have your facts straight before judging this doctor, as sometimes I don't believe the media does. I started seeing Dr. Plotnick eight years ago when I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. All the previous comments from his patients are absolutely true. I could never call in to get a prescription refill without being first examined by appointment with Dr. Plotnick. When I was first diagnosed he was very careful about getting the disease under control by using certain meds only for as long as necessary. I don't believe he just handed out various scripts for narcotics and let the patient pick and choose. Look what happened to Heath Ledger...did he not OD? Is his doctor being blamed for his carelessness?(and if he is Im not caught up on that case) We are prescribed these meds and how to take them. Not following the directions can be harmful and the doctor is not to blame.
<quoted text>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 21
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drugs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News East Prairie couple facing multiple drug charges 2 hr guest 21
News Sale Creek Man Charged With Manufacturing Meth (Aug '11) 5 hr tjone 3
News Students face drug charges after smoking at school 6 hr Why 1
News Port Leyden pair arrested for meth-making, incl... 7 hr XXX 27
News East St. Louis shuts down two motels: Code viol... (Oct '07) 9 hr John J-DOGG Shaw 348
News McCartney says he's given up pot now that he's ... 12 hr Greg 2
News Five arrested on drug charges in Douglas 13 hr FISHING cat 10
More from around the web