Six accuse Select Specialty Hospital of race bias

Full story: Kentucky.com 260
Six current or former employees of Select Specialty Hospital have filed a federal lawsuit against the Lexington facility, alleging racial discrimination and retaliation. Full Story
mary

Tuba City, AZ

#268 Oct 16, 2011
I agree that not every single one is probably as bad, but I worked for one and was disgusted by the lack of care and empathy that the administrators had for the patients. Cost cutting was what it was all about. This select was in phoenix. The majority of the regular staff ended up leaving and it is almost all registry nurses now. One patient in particular ended up dying at select because the doctor and administration refused to send the patient to the icu when she was showing all the signs of a massive cva. The family were begging for the transfer, but select would not mover her because it would be a loss of revenue.
Staffing is of huge concern. In what world does a nurse care for five patients at a time when the patients are on critical drips, vents, receiving blood, have altered cardiac rhythms, etc? The safety of this organization is APPALLING.
sue

Palmetto, GA

#269 Oct 18, 2011
Karin wrote:
An elderly friend of ours was place at Specialty care select in Orlando Fl. I am going to see him tomorrow. His brother went and saw him today and was really upset. After reading this all I want to do is get this man out. He had a stroke, he is on oxygen and cannot walk, talk. He has a feeding tube. Does anyone know of another place in the area to take him? I will be really grateful for any input.
There are several stroke rehabilitation centers in Orlando. Brooks Rehabilitation Hospital (stroke recovery)nine zero four-- three four five-- seven six zero zero. Or, Orlando Health Rehabilitation at Orlando Regional Medical Center, three two one-- eight four one-- five two two nine..
Good luck,
SUE
Karin

Sanford, FL

#270 Oct 23, 2011
Our friend has been transfered to another hospital this morning. He is not expectd to make it throught the night. I'm beyond words and so sad that I couldn't help him. I would never ever let someone in my family go to this place!
Karin

Orlando, FL

#271 Oct 24, 2011
OUR FRIEND PASSED ON EARLY THIS MORNING. MAY HE REST IN PEACE.
Ange

Akron, OH

#272 Apr 10, 2012
My father was at the Select Specialty hospital in Akron. He was just moved out of there last week. What a nightmare!!!! I wouldn't send my worst enemy there. Thank God we were there most of the time or my father probably wouldn't be here today. At the end of his stay there we were staying there all day and night. PLEASE DON'T SEND YOUR LOVED ONES THERE!!!!!!
x-select RN

Ravenna, OH

#273 Jun 7, 2012
@ Ange from Akron. I am so GLAD you got your Father out of the Akron Select. I worked there several years ago and you are right its a complete NIGHTMARE. I am still haunted by the memories or working there. Please Please if you can file a complaint with the Ohio Department of Health. I actually did some research and also read an article further back in these posts there was an investigation by a couple of people from the Senate as well as a large article in the New York Post (I cant remember the guy who wrote the artice), but its worth reading. Select in Akron is a dangerous place for patients, it physically made me ill working there. Filing a complaint with Select is useless, I tried and got nowhere. I did write to the Senator and also the guy who wrote the article for the New York Post. I feel anyone who has been a victim of any Select needs to file as may complaints and also make as much noise as possible about how horrible that place is.
How is your Father doing now? If you dont mind may I ask what happened to him while he was in the Akron Select? The stories I could tell you about that place would be enough to make a person ill.(it actually is make me physically ill and took months and months to recover)
God Bless, hope your Father is doing better!
an ex select RN
pitiful in savannah

Sylacauga, AL

#274 Jul 8, 2012
They don't give a Damn about anything except reimbursement, and don't even have the staff or supplies to fulfill the services that they claim to offer. It really is absurd that insurance companies prefer to pay these facilities rather than cover what the patient needs.... Nurse turn over is high because more and more is expected (which, by the way, they don't share the wealth...in salaries) and so they leave....many feel that there license is in jeopardy because they cannot feasibly tend to their patients as they deserve. Accuity levels are a joke!!!! That's just how they justify favored nurses getting a lighter work load...meanwhile, patient care suffers. The nurses that do care....and there are some..try their best to make a difference, but either give up and leave or turn in to bitter, uncaring people that play the game so they can feed their families. It is really sad. Corporate must not care either as long as they see the $$$$$, and the CEO in savannah cares more about a scrap of paper that fell on the floor than a patient lacking the care and attention needed for their specific case or the supplies being available for the staff to do what is expected of them.
SUE

Palmetto, GA

#275 Jul 19, 2012
It is Senator Grassley and another senator with the Finance Commitie that is investigating deaths at these hospitals. And, Alex Berenson wrote the three articles for the New York Times about Select Specialty Hospitals.. and it IS very much worth reading...
x-select

New York, NY

#276 Jul 29, 2012
@mary: I agree that not every single one is probably as bad, but I worked for one and was disgusted by the lack of care and empathy that the administrators had for the patients. Cost cutting was what it was all about. This select was in phoenix. The majority of the regular staff ended up leaving and it is almost all registry nurses now. One patient in particular ended up dying at select because the doctor and administration refused to send the patient to the icu when she was showing all the signs of a massive cva. The family were begging for the transfer, but select would not mover her because it would be a loss of revenue.
Staffing is of huge concern. In what world does a nurse care for five patients at a time when the patients are on critical drips, vents, receiving blood, have altered cardiac rhythms, etc? The safety of this organization is APPALLING.
a child of GOd

Kansas City, MO

#277 Aug 7, 2012
Well I work at the one in kcmo and they are prejudice also n they never treat the cnas with respect the rns runs all over them when I was there were very disrespectful n if they see bm they never cleaned or you clean a patient. I am taking it to my GOD in prayer. And if you call Corp they will retaliate on u,
a child of GOd

Kansas City, MO

#278 Aug 7, 2012
mary wrote:
I agree that not every single one is probably as bad, but I worked for one and was disgusted by the lack of care and empathy that the administrators had for the patients. Cost cutting was what it was all about. This select was in phoenix. The majority of the regular staff ended up leaving and it is almost all registry nurses now. One patient in particular ended up dying at select because the doctor and administration refused to send the patient to the icu when she was showing all the signs of a massive cva. The family were begging for the transfer, but select would not mover her because it would be a loss of revenue.
it goes on in kcmo select
a child of GOd

Kansas City, MO

#279 Aug 7, 2012
I agree that not every single one is probably as bad, but I worked for one and was disgusted by the lack of care and empathy that the administrators had for the patients. Cost cutting was what it was all about here n kcmo. They give rns 5-6 patients which is dangerous n then put alit of work on the cna techs n then comes Med errors. we have no choice but to do as ask n just pray that things get better one day. is it against policy for rns not help cns if in the room at the same time. WOW never will you get help n its never enough staff to get help from other coworkers
COTA

United States

#280 Sep 18, 2012
I had a severe migraine at work one day. My coworker, another therapist gave me a medication to relieve my symptoms. A few days later I was selected for a random drug screen, without any worries I completed the test. A few days later I was fired for testing positive for barbiturates. I know I made an awful decision taking that medication (I wasn't the only therapist that took that pill that day!) This has greatly affectted my career. Three years later SSH has a prn opening for my position. I have been completely honest about this stupid mistake and have begged corporate staff to allow me to iinterview for the job. Im declined and upset. Everyone has made a mistakes in their past; I am willing to take a drug test everyday! Sorry to rant, I'm pissed and don't feel I'm being treated equally.
Former RN at Select

Memphis, TN

#281 Oct 16, 2012
Select Memphis is another hell hole. I was offered a severance package to leave for similar complaints I have read others describing. I am a single mother and have children to care for so I took the deal and left. I hope they get everything they deserve. This company is pitiful. These people are thieves.
Another Hurt employee

Pensacola, FL

#283 Jan 27, 2013
I was treated the same in Pensascola,FL. Forced to resign and retaliated against! I hope to finally get justice for the employees done this way!
Pete The Piper

Mooresboro, NC

#285 Feb 9, 2013
In dealing with Select Specialty Hospitals, has anyone taken notice of all the tests and referrals that are made? It seemed pretty exhuberant with my wife. Just wondering what you all thought?
Fed up

United States

#286 Mar 15, 2013
Im a visitor at select in pensacola the manager in dietary is very rude amd nasty she talk to her employees like there kids and shes very racist she also shows favoritism too other it's not right i watch her bad mouth one of her employers and apologize to the other one shes a real bitch i mean the food is great the employees are nice but shes a lil under the weather if you no whay i mean i really feel bad for the employees wheres the ICARE i had many visitors come up too me and say i dont see how they can work with her i reallu wish corporate could look into finding a NEW Manager too work
Unhappy family member

Salina, KS

#287 Apr 14, 2013
The facility in Wichita KS has a few good nurses, more bad ones. Management is slick, telling smooth stories. My brother has a trach and cannot talk. When he (or we) presses the call button, they don't respond or they respond in 30-45 minutes. My mother and I had to clean up my brother when he had a stool because I called the nurse but she never showed up. We've had to reposition him ourselves, which is scary with all the tubes he has, but we had no choice since he was pushed up against the rail and no one would come and help us. His feet are in terrible condition but they say they have no podiatrist on staff and no one else will trim his toenails. They are going to grow into his flesh if it continues. Some of the nurses are snotty and rude. His mouth was all gummy and I asked the nurse if she could clean out his mouth and she said she'd have to call resp. therapy to do that. Resp. therapy told us the nurse could have cleaned out his mouth. Apparently she just didn't feel like it. Once we went to lunch and came back to find my brother on the floor. He had tried to call a nurse but no one responded and he needed to use the bathroom. He is too weak to walk, so he fell. Because of his illness (pancreatitis), he has lost so much weight he has very little padding on his body to cushion a fall. They immediately doped him up so we couldn't really get clear answers from him about what happened. Ever since he's been in Select, we feel we must have a family member with him at all times. We can't trust most of the staff and we trust none of the PR people. They've lied to us again and again. We don't know what to do. He's supposed to be getting therapy to get well but we fear for him. The nurse response time is very slow, the place seems to be understaffed, but they sure have enough money to pay some slick lying PR jerk. Priorities are all screwed up at Select.
SUE

Palmetto, GA

#289 Apr 24, 2013
Unhappy family member wrote:
The facility in Wichita KS has a few good nurses, more bad ones. Management is slick, telling smooth stories. My brother has a trach and cannot talk. When he (or we) presses the call button, they don't respond or they respond in 30-45 minutes. My mother and I had to clean up my brother when he had a stool because I called the nurse but she never showed up. We've had to reposition him ourselves, which is scary with all the tubes he has, but we had no choice since he was pushed up against the rail and no one would come and help us. His feet are in terrible condition but they say they have no podiatrist on staff and no one else will trim his toenails. They are going to grow into his flesh if it continues. Some of the nurses are snotty and rude. His mouth was all gummy and I asked the nurse if she could clean out his mouth and she said she'd have to call resp. therapy to do that. Resp. therapy told us the nurse could have cleaned out his mouth. Apparently she just didn't feel like it. Once we went to lunch and came back to find my brother on the floor. He had tried to call a nurse but no one responded and he needed to use the bathroom. He is too weak to walk, so he fell. Because of his illness (pancreatitis), he has lost so much weight he has very little padding on his body to cushion a fall. They immediately doped him up so we couldn't really get clear answers from him about what happened. Ever since he's been in Select, we feel we must have a family member with him at all times. We can't trust most of the staff and we trust none of the PR people. They've lied to us again and again. We don't know what to do. He's supposed to be getting therapy to get well but we fear for him. The nurse response time is very slow, the place seems to be understaffed, but they sure have enough money to pay some slick lying PR jerk. Priorities are all screwed up at Select.
Get him transferred ASAP to a different facility! They will tell you he can not be moved or some b-s but do the best you can to get him out of there. The situation is not going to improve,, and could possibly get a lot worse.. Select Hospitals are only in it for the money. My Father died at a select.. after a month of pure hell. Similiar things happend that you are describing. My Father had a trach and could not talk, he would push the call button and a nurse (after a few min.) would come on and say "can I help you"? and then NO ONE would come check on him. Thats my suggestion, wish you the best.. I know it is not easy.
Unhappy family member

Salina, KS

#291 May 4, 2013
Up and down the halls of Select Specialty in Wichita KS, patients beg for water and food. They lie in feces. They suffer. They call and nurses are slow to show up or don't show up at all. They are helpless and vulnerable. Select seems to pace their treatment to milk a patient for every dollar, and to hell with the patient's comfort and care. They lie. They twist things. I suspect they alter records. They drug patients so much they can't participate in therapy and fail to give them pain meds when they need them. This is a hellhole. And trying to get a loved one out of there seems to be impossible. I fear they will cause the death of my relative before they release him from their tentacles. I believe they keep patients sick until their 30 days run...they are sadists. Never let your loved one in one of these wretched facilities.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drugs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Montebello councilwomana s husband sentenced to... (May '14) 14 min EXBFF 45
Massena man sentenced to prison for cocaine sale 1 hr route six eight 17
Detroit woman caught smuggling marijuana to her... (Dec '11) 2 hr lefty72 7
Gay sex and crystal meth (Jul '08) 7 hr rob 143
Teacher, Husband Charged With Allowing Teens To... 7 hr Curious Local 1
Shooting victim Reginald Davis dies: Second sho... (May '11) 20 hr Life is short 86
Covert team wages war on drugs (Jun '13) Tue another war waste... 2
More from around the web