Arcata resident sentenced for marijua...

Arcata resident sentenced for marijuana grow

There are 144 comments on the Eureka Times Standard story from Feb 6, 2009, titled Arcata resident sentenced for marijuana grow. In it, Eureka Times Standard reports that:

On Wednesday, a Humboldt County Superior Court judge sentenced 38-year-old Arcata resident Jeremy Bensen to 270 days in jail for the cultivation of marijuana and providing false information to commit a fraud, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eureka Times Standard.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
anonymous

Daly City, CA

#1 Feb 6, 2009
Crime pays I guess. 270 days is all our DA gets for this guy?
Frank Griffen

Alameda, CA

#2 Feb 6, 2009
See, pot should become legal, and the growers will be out of business.
Jan

Berkeley, CA

#3 Feb 6, 2009
This reads as an advertisement for Mark Harris! What a great lawer! I wonder if his property will be forfeited, or if , since this was a bust by the Humboldt County Drug force, the Feds will not be involved at all.
boss

Eureka, CA

#4 Feb 6, 2009
Deputy District Attorney Maggie Fleming will run on 'tuff on crime' or at least more so then Paul. Wonder if anyone will remember this. Guy makes how much money and aviods income tax and all he gets less then a year? And notice NO mention of medical!!!
Trinidad

Eureka, CA

#5 Feb 6, 2009
Humboldt County Drug Task Force agents found two properties under Bensen's name that were drawing abnormally high amounts of electricity, leading them to serve search warrants at both properties.

Wow..is my meter reader a narc...What about dividends to shareholders of "public utilities" companies...

Get data on all propane and other fossil fuel sales..match it with normal use data...if abnormal use is assumed, arrest them all...that will show um...oh yea...track generator sales as well....just ask over the counter for a list of folks who the purchased them, and where they live...go get um..
anonymous

Temecula, CA

#6 Feb 6, 2009
I was camped in the late 80's during the phone co's lineman strike. Workers that weren't usually in the field did the line work. 2 came out to my property. It wasn't the older gent but the young guy. He was so reactionary and paranoid that he thought the smell from my neighbor's pigs was a dead body after he saw my 4 or 5 little plants. The feds came. I got diversion since I wasn't a real criminal and everyone knew it. Sad waste of money and resources.
Jimmys Crack Corn

Moscow, ID

#7 Feb 6, 2009
I would say its a slap the hand. You get caught here in Idaho you will be gone for a few years!
Trinidad

Eureka, CA

#8 Feb 6, 2009
Jimmys Crack Corn wrote:
I would say its a slap the hand. You get caught here in Idaho you will be gone for a few years!
Caught reading meters and reporting to the Feds??
MMAyourface

Jackson St Forest, CA

#9 Feb 6, 2009
Frank is right, 2 years and there done.

People are so worried about there kids turning into potheads NEWSFLASH! Your kids don't care about doing things like that if its legal, they only do it because its illegal. Take away the risk factor and its just some boring make you do nothing drug.
Greystoke

United States

#10 Feb 6, 2009
MMAyourface wrote:
Frank is right, 2 years and there done.
People are so worried about there kids turning into potheads NEWSFLASH! Your kids don't care about doing things like that if its legal, they only do it because its illegal. Take away the risk factor and its just some boring make you do nothing drug.
amen.
Carrie Nation

San Jose, CA

#11 Feb 6, 2009
Carrie Nation now understands why energy hogs like this guy generate "greenhouse gasses."
Humboldt not justice

Eureka, CA

#12 Feb 7, 2009
A pot grower gets 270 days in jail?

Meanwhile over in family court all a woman has to to is file false charges against the father of her children, get caught lying, and the judge will come up with some charge out of the thin air to put a five year restraining order on teh father so he can't see his kids until they turn 18.

This has got to be the most corrupt county in the state. God forbid there is another county remotely like Humboldt anywhere on the surface of the earth.
Humboldt not justice

Eureka, CA

#13 Feb 7, 2009
Notice the Times-Standard won't even report who the judge is? What a crock.
mendo

Jackson St Forest, CA

#14 Feb 7, 2009
Trinidad wrote:
Humboldt County Drug Task Force agents found two properties under Bensen's name that were drawing abnormally high amounts of electricity, leading them to serve search warrants at both properties.
Wow..is my meter reader a narc...What about dividends to shareholders of "public utilities" companies...
Get data on all propane and other fossil fuel sales..match it with normal use data...if abnormal use is assumed, arrest them all...that will show um...oh yea...track generator sales as well....just ask over the counter for a list of folks who the purchased them, and where they live...go get um..
I know things are supposed to be bigger in Texas,but i didn't think it covered retards.Do you even see what you are typing.By your conclusions the police should go after every sale of a gun since they are used in crimes.Then they could go after every sale of a car since they use cars to transport drugs.Then you can bust every building contractor in the country who owns a generator to create power.Lastly don't forget to arrest all the old people who use propane to heat there house's.Stick to being stupid it comes naturally to you I see.
jason

Philadelphia, PA

#15 Feb 7, 2009
You folks are missing the new pot message. Prohibitionist around the country use to say ridiculous things about cannabis like; it turns users into vampires, after one hit you turn into a murderer who will kill his own family. The word is out about those lies. The argument then turned to cannabis kills brain cells, cannabis makes you lazy, cannabis use will make you smoke crack, no successful people smoke cannabis. I don’t recall hearing that 2/3 of our population is on crack. As for brain cells how about President Obama, for Lazy ness how about Michael Phelps. Now the Prohibitionist use our children as leverage; “OH what kind of message are we sending to our kids”. There argument of lies have progressed to the point that they do not make points any more the message is now “stay away from marijuana because the criminal penalties will ruin your life”. 70 years later and I don’t have to tell you were we are today.
icecold

United States

#16 Feb 7, 2009
with the warrant they seized everything @ the address's relating to the pot, but did they get the money that was in the bank also?
Slap

AOL

#18 Feb 7, 2009
He's probably already served 100+ of those days. So, he should be out by summer. Just in time to start a new crop.
on the take

Eureka, CA

#19 Feb 7, 2009
Maggie Flemming seems to be the same deputy district attorney who is always getting the light sentences for pot growers? Maybe the HC Grand Jury ought to investigate the personal finances of Ms. Flemming and the unnamed judge to see if they're not receiving "green" for their generosity?
on the take

Eureka, CA

#20 Feb 7, 2009
jason wrote:
You folks are missing the new pot message. Prohibitionist around the country use to say ridiculous things about cannabis like; it turns users into vampires, after one hit you turn into a murderer who will kill his own family. The word is out about those lies. The argument then turned to cannabis kills brain cells, cannabis makes you lazy, cannabis use will make you smoke crack, no successful people smoke cannabis. I don’t recall hearing that 2/3 of our population is on crack. As for brain cells how about President Obama, for Lazy ness how about Michael Phelps. Now the Prohibitionist use our children as leverage; “OH what kind of message are we sending to our kids”. There argument of lies have progressed to the point that they do not make points any more the message is now “stay away from marijuana because the criminal penalties will ruin your life”. 70 years later and I don’t have to tell you were we are today.
You're at the Cape May New Jersey court house? How funny! So now we have an FBI informant watching over the Humboldt County comments?
Trinidad

Eureka, CA

#21 Feb 7, 2009
mendo wrote:
<quoted text>I know things are supposed to be bigger in Texas,but i didn't think it covered retards.Do you even see what you are typing.By your conclusions the police should go after every sale of a gun since they are used in crimes.Then they could go after every sale of a car since they use cars to transport drugs.Then you can bust every building contractor in the country who owns a generator to create power.Lastly don't forget to arrest all the old people who use propane to heat there house's.Stick to being stupid it comes naturally to you I see.
Dude, exactly my point..Chill,slow down, you are are bright..stay that way...If everyone connected with growing and smoking, disappeared, most Counties in the Country would be bankrupted in a week...
legalize,tax,enjoy..peace bro...easy on retards..especially those with 215's.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drugs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dellen Millard 'gave me the creeps,' co-accused... 10 hr BBQ 1
News Guilty Plea in "Bath Salts" Case (Feb '12) 13 hr april cobb 6
News Annual 4/20 pot festival has SF on guard for un... 14 hr Lucy Jane 1
News Sessions WarNs: New - Sentencing Reform' Billto... 15 hr tomin cali 1
News Pair nabbed on drug charges in LaPorte 20 hr Heavy Fed 7
News Police: Woman did 'topless handstand' 22 hr MeSo 2
News Cannabis oil for kids: Michigan family fighting... Thu pot 1
More from around the web