Drug Addicts, Dealers Are 'Doctor Sho...

Drug Addicts, Dealers Are 'Doctor Shopping' for Pain Pills

There are 53 comments on the HON story from Jul 17, 2013, titled Drug Addicts, Dealers Are 'Doctor Shopping' for Pain Pills. In it, HON reports that:

One of every 50 prescriptions for addictive prescription painkillers in the United States is filled for so-called "doctor shoppers" who obtain the drugs for recreational use or resale on the street, a new study finds.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at HON.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
the real slim shady

Fontana, CA

#1 Jul 18, 2013
I have an idea lets get rid of prescriptions all together. We should just be able to go to the pharmacy and tell them what we want and be able to buy it without spending 1000S of dollars for a DR to scribble on a pad of paper. The drug epidemic goes away and everyone is happy!
Anonymous

Colorado Springs, CO

#2 Jul 18, 2013
iknow right

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#3 Jul 20, 2013
they just ruin it for the people who have chronic pain and need pain management.i have a work related back injury & DDD degenerative disc disease & i also need a knee replacement and have osteoarthritis.you cant get rid of them,but doctors should know the patients that abuse them and the ones who need them & dont abuse or sell them & have no pain.there is a difference between pain & chronic pain.

“Got Sig? How 'bout HK?”

Since: Apr 11

This isn't even my office!

#5 Jul 20, 2013
shotgun20 wrote:
they just ruin it for the people who have chronic pain and need pain management.i have a work related back injury & DDD degenerative disc disease & i also need a knee replacement and have osteoarthritis.you cant get rid of them,but doctors should know the patients that abuse them and the ones who need them & dont abuse or sell them & have no pain.there is a difference between pain & chronic pain.
I agree with you for the most part, but askin' docs to differentiate from legitimate and addicts wouldn't be an easy task. It's most definitely the abusers who make life hard for the chronic pain patient. I just switched pharmacies because they started to ask for my ID. It really stuck in my craw!

“Vacations Are Life”

Since: May 13

Starts With ... Disney

#6 Jul 20, 2013
Yer Killin Me Smalls wrote:
<quoted text> I agree with you for the most part, but askin' docs to differentiate from legitimate and addicts wouldn't be an easy task. It's most definitely the abusers who make life hard for the chronic pain patient. I just switched pharmacies because they started to ask for my ID. It really stuck in my craw!
Why would a pharmacy asking for your ID be a problem?

“Got Sig? How 'bout HK?”

#7 Jul 20, 2013
Wally _ wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would a pharmacy asking for your ID be a problem?
it wasn't a problem, I just found it unnecessary. I have been fillin' there for over two years and on a first name basis with the head pharmacist. They got in trouble in Florida, changed policy.

“Vacations Are Life”

Starts With ... Disney

#8 Jul 20, 2013
<quoted text>it wasn't a problem, I just found it unnecessary. I have been fillin' there for over two years and on a first name basis with the head pharmacist. They got in trouble in Florida, changed policy.
I wasn't upset the first time I got proofed for liquor in New York when they passed the new law.

Actually, I was flattered. LOL.

If they didn't ask you, they could get in trouble for showing you preferential treatment. Cut them some slack, they're just covering their legal butts.

It's the "New World."
HumanSpirit

Alachua, FL

#9 Jul 20, 2013
The new up and coming drug doctor and the monthly test for those on pain pills will be profitable and a good investment for Republican and ALEC members.

Private insurance for protection of the family doctors for pain pills (twice a year) is raking in 1700 bucks a year. Ask BCBS

HumanSpirit

Alachua, FL

#10 Jul 20, 2013
SC Gov can't back drug test claim

Pasted from < http://www.chron.com/news/article/APNewsBreak... ;

COLUMBIA, S.C.(AP)— South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley said Monday she can't back up claims that half of the people wanting work at the Energy Department's Savannah River Site failed drug tests and half of the remainder couldn't pass reading and writing tests.
Haley said in an interview with The Associated Press that she's learned a lesson and is going to be more careful.
"I've never felt like I had to back up what people tell me. You assume that you're given good information," Haley said. "And now I'm learning through you guys that I have to be careful before I say something."
Haley said she'd probably repeated "a million times" the story that about the test failures before being questioned about the assertions after a Lexington Rotary Club on Sept. 8. Her spokesman has been asked almost daily since then whether the claim could be substantiated.
On Monday, Haley was frustrated she couldn't document something that has shaped policy perspectives, including linking drug tests to unemployment benefits and developing skills programs.
Haley met with people at the Savannah River Site as she campaigned for governor.
"We were on the site. There were multiple people in there. And that comment that they made had a huge impact on me," Haley said. "It is the reason you're hearing me look into whether we can do drug testing. It's the reason you hear me focus so much on job training," Haley said. "Somebody can't say that and it not stick you in the gut."
And "now they're all backing off saying it. And they know they said it.," Haley said. "But now they don't have the backup."
The SRS story is now off Haley's talking point list. "I'm not going to say it anymore."
Haley used the dubious statistics to back up her own call for drug tests tied to unemployment claims.
Department of Energy spokesmen Jim Giusti said less than 1 percent of the workers hired by the Savannah River Site's primary contactor, Savannah River Nuclear Solutions, failed pre-employment screening tests. "We only screen people that have accepted a postion at the Savannah River Site," Giusti said. He said no other pre-employment screening is conducted before people accept jobs.
Haley's figure was far afield of figures from Quest Diagnostics, a national drug testing company that produces an annual report of pre-employment and workplace drug testing.
In 2010, less than 2 percent of pre-employment tests were positive for drugs nationally, according to a Quest report released earlier this month. Meanwhile, data from 4.5 million urine test samples shows 3.5 percent of the overall workforce tested positive for drugs after they were offered jobs but before being hired. That rate has been below 4 percent since 2006. In South Carolina, the overall failure rate was 6.5 percent.
Haley still wants drug tests tied to unemployment benefits and a revamped job skills program.

Pasted from < http://www.chron.com/news/article/APNewsBreak... ;
HumanSpirit

Alachua, FL

#11 Jul 20, 2013
According to our sources, then-S.C. Rep. Haley and her husband attended the VIP Club – a prominent adult entertainment destination in Chicago, Illinois – during a 2008 conference sponsored by the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC).
As with an alleged visit to a Myrtle Beach, S.C. strip club the following year, Haley is said to have received multiple lap dances during her visit to the Windy City club.
The Chicago ALEC Conference was held from July 30 – August 3, 2008, and the attendance of Haley and her husband at the event has been confirmed by multiple lawmakers and lobbyists. Also, Haley’s campaign finance filings include a $1,621.68 reimbursement for an “ALEC Conference” dated on July 28, 2008 – as well as an unspecified $536 reimbursement (claimed that same day).

Pasted from < http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/06/27/9892... ;
HumanSpirit

Alachua, FL

#12 Jul 20, 2013
As with an alleged visit to a Myrtle Beach, S.C. strip club the following year, Haley is said to have received multiple lap dances during her visit to the Windy City club.

The Chicago ALEC Conference was held from July 30 – August 3, 2008, and the attendance of Haley and her husband at the event has been confirmed by multiple lawmakers and lobbyists. Also, Haley’s campaign finance filings include a $1,621.68 reimbursement for an “ALEC Conference” dated on July 28, 2008 – as well as an unspecified $536 reimbursement (claimed that same day).

The benefits of vacations and education to politicians and their family should be taxable.

It's an ALEC political bribe to a politician no matter which way it is twisted..
HumanSpirit

Alachua, FL

#13 Jul 20, 2013
Challenging the non profit status of ALEC since 1972 with retroactive tax, finds and penalities including the money donated by the high profile (tax deduction) corporate CEO bonuses and repayment for any membership deductions in the non-profit corporate will pay benefits to the government and the people of this nation at this time.
There are hundred of examples of using non profit tax deductions and the money. It is a clear win for the IRS against the ALEC structure and would cause havoc in the Republican party as members have liens and penalities placed against them..

Example:
ALEC is a 501 (c)(3) exempt non-profit. Which raises a lot of questions about this particular series of transactions.
First, if ALEC is really a non-profit, why is it making campaign contributions?
Second, does it really seem appropriate for legislators to personally benefit from contributions in this way?
According to our sources, then-S.C. Rep. Haley and her husband attended the VIP Club – a prominent adult entertainment destination in Chicago, Illinois – during a 2008 conference sponsored by the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC).

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#14 Jul 20, 2013
Omg. I lost my license so I had to give my passport. So of course it's some kid who is new who seriously says "I'm not sure we can take this". Um, dude, passports are way higher than a license. Smh.

“Vacations Are Life”

Starts With ... Disney

#18 Jul 20, 2013
Elfette1 wrote:
Omg. I lost my license so I had to give my passport. So of course it's some kid who is new who seriously says "I'm not sure we can take this". Um, dude, passports are way higher than a license. Smh.
I'm sure the kid had never seen one before.

:o)

“Got Sig? How 'bout HK?”

#19 Jul 20, 2013
Wally _ wrote:
<quoted text>
I wasn't upset the first time I got proofed for liquor in New York when they passed the new law.
Actually, I was flattered. LOL.
If they didn't ask you, they could get in trouble for showing you preferential treatment. Cut them some slack, they're just covering their legal butts.
It's the "New World."
The beauty of capitalism, I don't have to cut 'em slack. They do somethin' I don't like I take my business somewhere else. This isn't some ma and pop operation, it's a big faceless operation.

“Vacations Are Life”

Starts With ... Disney

#20 Jul 20, 2013
<quoted text> The beauty of capitalism, I don't have to cut 'em slack. They do somethin' I don't like I take my business somewhere else. This isn't some ma and pop operation, it's a big faceless operation.
Can't argue with that...tough guy.

Location hidden

#21 Jul 20, 2013
<quoted text> The beauty of capitalism, I don't have to cut 'em slack. They do somethin' I don't like I take my business somewhere else. This isn't some ma and pop operation, it's a big faceless operation.
Pretty sure it's a dea thing...could've sworn I saw a sign at the pharmacy about it.

Location hidden

#22 Jul 20, 2013
Wally _ wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure the kid had never seen one before.
Lol, right! It's happened a few times recently. Always makes me chuckle!
Hope you're doing well Wally! I always like your posts!

“Vacations Are Life”

Starts With ... Disney

#23 Jul 20, 2013
Elfette1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol, right! It's happened a few times recently. Always makes me chuckle!
Hope you're doing well Wally! I always like your posts!
Very well, thank you.

Wishing the same for you.

“Got Sig? How 'bout HK?”

#24 Jul 20, 2013
Elfette1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Pretty sure it's a dea thing...could've sworn I saw a sign at the pharmacy about it.
It's because they had some legal trouble down in Florida dispensin' too many pain meds. I don't need to show my ID at my new pharmacy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drugs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Carlsbad woman gets 3 years for trafficking drugs 1 hr Carlsbad 6
News Massena police chief: Drug dealers will keeping... 3 hr Methinks 3
News Sanctuary cities must be ended 5 hr Cat74 9
News 17 arrests target 'Outlaws' (Nov '07) 6 hr kilbynation 51
News State Panel Prepares To Move Forward With Medic... 8 hr Kelly Finney 1
News Two charged with unlawful manufacturing of meth... 9 hr Forrest 1
News Owner of York County pipe/tobacco lounge arrest... (Nov '13) 10 hr Martin garey 10
More from around the web