Stoddard County business owners sue o...

Stoddard County business owners sue over 2011 drug raid

There are 43 comments on the KAIT-TV story from Aug 8, 2012, titled Stoddard County business owners sue over 2011 drug raid. In it, KAIT-TV reports that:

It all started last August when authorities raided the businesses taking hundreds if not thousands of packages of what authorities called K-2, or synthetic marijuana.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KAIT-TV.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
guest

United States

#1 Aug 8, 2012
Sounds like the county jumped the gun,like they do most of the time. Only this time it came back to bite them in the butt !
guest

United States

#2 Aug 8, 2012
Sounds like the county jumped the gun,like they do most of the time. Only this time it came back to bite them in the rear !
And people wonder why

Jackson, MO

#3 Aug 9, 2012
No wonder we have such a horrible drug problem. Instead of people backing the legal system up for trying to control the, already out of control, drug problem we have you attack them? There is no doubt in my mind why you did that. It's bad enough that we have cocaine and meth on the streets but now you are okay with them selling a "form" of it at your local convience stores? Do some research about K-2 and bath salts and see exactly how bad that crap REALLY is. Killing people left and right after only ONE use. Come on now...that the kind of world you wanna live in?
Fried Bologna

Columbia, MO

#4 Aug 9, 2012
And people wonder why wrote:
No wonder we have such a horrible drug problem. Instead of people backing the legal system up for trying to control the, already out of control, drug problem we have you attack them? There is no doubt in my mind why you did that. It's bad enough that we have cocaine and meth on the streets but now you are okay with them selling a "form" of it at your local convience stores? Do some research about K-2 and bath salts and see exactly how bad that crap REALLY is. Killing people left and right after only ONE use. Come on now...that the kind of world you wanna live in?
This is misguided. First of all, NONE of the Stoddard Co. business owners were selling bath salts or K2. K2 is a different product than what was seized from these store owners. Look at the original news stories.
http://www.kfvs12.com/story/15082584/syntheti...

It is irresponsible of Oliver to akin these legitimate business owners to "street drug dealers". These guys were selling a legal product. The prosecutor without a warrant seized the products from the stores. We have a constitution that among other things is in place to protect the people from the government i.e. unlawful search and seizure. At the time of the raids, there was no statute or case law making these products illegal at the time of the raid.

Ask yourself this. Did he have these products tested prior to seizing them? There is nothing in the stories to show that he did. He more than likely shot from the hip.

And he also discusses imitation drugs. here is the law:
(21) "Imitation controlled substance", a substance that is not a controlled substance, which by dosage unit appearance (including color, shape, size and markings), or by representations made, would lead a reasonable person to believe that the substance is a controlled substance. In determining whether the substance is an imitation controlled substance the court or authority concerned should consider, in addition to all other logically relevant factors, the following:
(a) Whether the substance was approved by the federal Food and Drug Administration for over-the-counter (nonprescription or nonlegend) sales and was sold in the federal Food and Drug Administration approved package, with the federal Food and Drug Administration approved labeling information;
(b) Statements made by an owner or by anyone else in control of the substance concerning the nature of the substance, or its use or effect;
(c) Whether the substance is packaged in a manner normally used for illicit controlled substances;
(d) Prior convictions, if any, of an owner, or anyone in control of the object, under state or federal law related to controlled substances or fraud;
(e) The proximity of the substances to controlled substances;

These products were not packaged as a controlled substance, no one was passing them off as a controlled substance, there is no evidence of prior convictions of the store owners for drugs...

These products were not imitation controlled substances as Oliver alludes to in the story. An example of an imitation is if someone sold lawn clippings and said it was marijuana.

If the prosecutor of Stoddard County will jumble and misinterpret the law and shoot from the hip as he did in this case, it is scary what he is capable of doing at the expense other citizens.
This is a good reminder when it is time to vote whether his position should be full time. It is inviting twice the screw ups at Stoddard Co. citizens expense!
Ummmmmmmmm

Jackson, MO

#5 Aug 9, 2012
The report says nothing about "imitation controlled substance". It said SYNTHETIC so I am not sure what your point is. What was seized was a synthetic THC which is the same as K2! You can play all the word games you want it doesn't change the fact that those "products" are used for the same effects,plus some,as the REAL DEAL!! I am not saying that ANY of the business owners were trying to sell illegal or legal drugs. My point is that what is being sold OTC is/was being used for illicit reasons and is killing people. That is what is important here; not if Stoddard Co. is "shooting from the hip". Oh and I'm pretty sure seizing those "products" didn't cause any negative expense to citizens (other than the ones using it for ALL THE WRONG REASONS).
Learn to read

Bloomfield, MO

#6 Aug 9, 2012
This was just weeks before the synthetic drug ban, but according to Stoddard County Prosecuting Attorney Russ Oliver the items were illegal because they imitated a controlled substance.
I can read

Jackson, MO

#7 Aug 9, 2012
No where in the above provided link, which is the one I read, does it have the statment you provided. And again you can play all the word games you want but those products are still deadly and many of the synthetic cannabinoid packages display marijuana nomenclatures such as 420, Cush,Hydro and Chronic which are known to and readily identified by drug users. So let's not try to act like EVERYONE on this planet is dumb except you. If you expect people to believe that stuff was being sold for it's initial purpose you are sadly mistaken. Seems like that no matter what the cost (no pun intended) some people are just out to make a buck!!
Fried Bologna

Hutchinson, MN

#8 Aug 9, 2012
I can read wrote:
No where in the above provided link, which is the one I read, does it have the statment you provided. And again you can play all the word games you want but those products are still deadly and many of the synthetic cannabinoid packages display marijuana nomenclatures such as 420, Cush,Hydro and Chronic which are known to and readily identified by drug users. So let's not try to act like EVERYONE on this planet is dumb except you. If you expect people to believe that stuff was being sold for it's initial purpose you are sadly mistaken. Seems like that no matter what the cost (no pun intended) some people are just out to make a buck!!
Isn't that the point. Watch the kfvs 12 video from last night August 8. Then compare it to July 14, 2011. Obviously something has happened to make imitation drugs the primary focus one year later. Bit is totally different from the original propaganda Oliver produced.

Let's not forget even these store owners have constitutional rights. Russ Oliver just chose to ignore their rights. That is the issue that keeps getting buried by red herrings such as k2 and bath salts none of which were being sold by these guys.

Be careful, next time it could be you. I'm sure these guys thought they were safe from this type of wrongful search and seizure on the days preceding the illegal raid by Oliver.
Let me get this right

Jackson, MO

#9 Aug 9, 2012
You are more worried about the cops taking a drug out of a store because of the owners rights than the fact this crap is killing people?? REALLY????
I think it is WAY more important that these SYNTHETIC drugs be taken out of the stores where children, teenagers and even adults go, than the rights for the business owner to make a buck off of them. In this case THAT is the most important detail.
Something has happened, people have been dying after a SINGLE use!!!
And let me just say this one more time...what was being sold is the same thing as K2 and bath salts. Just used a different name (and maybe one different chemical).
Learn to read

Bloomfield, MO

#10 Aug 9, 2012
Maybe they should give the stuff away. Do us a favor and let the druggies kill themselves instead of leeching off the government.
Fried Bologna

United States

#11 Aug 10, 2012
What evidence is there that the products seized are killing people, let alone after a single use. I think people believe this stuff is bath salts. It is not. I am not advocating for te product, trust me. I think there is a process requiring warrants for a reason. When the process is ignored, people have to use a legal system. It is as simple as that. If these products were so bad, why didn't the prosecutor get a warrant and confiscate the stuff on his first day in office.

Instead, he waits until one month prior to the products becoming illegal to make the raid without a warrant. I think the prosecutor is in over his head. He is a young guy that is more interested in media coverage and advancing his political career than worrying about the procedures required to properly carry out his job.

I would be willing to bet the media was contacted prior to the raids. Kfvs 12 had a lot of documents and information in the day if the raid. Look at their website. This is more important to this prosecutor than contacting a judge to get a warrant.
Ask an ER doctor

United States

#12 Aug 10, 2012
Do a little research about the drugs instead of focusing on the fact if Mr. Oliver did or didn't have a warrent before he took that stuff off the shelves. The important thing is HE TOOK THEM OFF THE SHELVES!!! Both the synthetic cannabinoids (K2,K3,Spice-just to name a few) and the synthetic derivatives of cathinone (bath salts, Ivory Wave,Down2Earth-just to name a few)is a new phenomenon for law enforcement and health care providers but it is rapidly becoming known that both are killing people after a single use. In case you did not know synthetic cannabinoids is not even marijuana;its an hallucinogenic. So if there is anything else you would like to know about these DEADLY drugs being sold over the counter that law enforcement is trying to stop....LET ME KNOW!! I could really care less if the store owners lost money by them being siezed or not.
Truthiness

Poplar Bluff, MO

#13 Aug 10, 2012
Learn to read wrote:
Maybe they should give the stuff away. Do us a favor and let the druggies kill themselves instead of leeching off the government.
So true, and a great plan.
whatever

Bernie, MO

#14 Aug 11, 2012
And if you're against drugs, and I am, then don't do business with any of these places. Stand by your convictions and hit them where it hurts, in the pocketbook!
Fried Bologna

United States

#15 Aug 11, 2012
In the end the only person that broke the law was Oliver. Enough said!
Louie

Dexter, MO

#17 Aug 12, 2012
The police passed out flyers asking them to take the stuff off their shelves--I know I was there in one of the stores--so their not that innocent. They were warned ahead of time. They're selling that stuff to your kids! Is that alright with you?? It sure as hell isn't with me!! Those SOB's didn't deserve a dime of our money for selling drugs.
ShepherdoftheHil ls

Branson, MO

#18 Aug 12, 2012
whatever wrote:
And if you're against drugs, and I am, then don't do business with any of these places. Stand by your convictions and hit them where it hurts, in the pocketbook!
I stand by my convictions and against illegal search and seizure. If the stores did not have a case, then there wouldn't have been a settlement, would there?

Illegal search and seizure isn't "okay" because it netted something that causes harm to people. It is never okay and it is never justifiable. It is against the very principals this country was founded on. It never ceases to amaze me how many people would willingly give up their constitutional rights in exchange for the Illusion of security.
WOW

United States

#19 Aug 12, 2012
ShepherdoftheHills wrote:
<quoted text>
I stand by my convictions and against illegal search and seizure. If the stores did not have a case, then there wouldn't have been a settlement, would there?
Illegal search and seizure isn't "okay" because it netted something that causes harm to people. It is never okay and it is never justifiable. It is against the very principals this country was founded on. It never ceases to amaze me how many people would willingly give up their constitutional rights in exchange for the Illusion of security.
But knowingly selling drugs OTC or even illicit is okay with you? And I am not sure how them taking those drugs gives me an "illusion of security". However, what it does me give me is the hope that things of that nature will continue to happen (plus some) and this messed up world (because of people having crazy ways of thinking/living) will change for the better!!!
whatever

Atlanta, GA

#20 Aug 12, 2012
ShepherdoftheHills wrote:
<quoted text>
I stand by my convictions and against illegal search and seizure. If the stores did not have a case, then there wouldn't have been a settlement, would there?
Illegal search and seizure isn't "okay" because it netted something that causes harm to people. It is never okay and it is never justifiable. It is against the very principals this country was founded on. It never ceases to amaze me how many people would willingly give up their constitutional rights in exchange for the Illusion of security.
And I stand by my convictions that if it is harmful to children it should be taken off the market. Is standing up for your constitutional rights worth risking the lives of our children? My job as a parent means a whole lot more to me than the rights of a business owner selling something that could cost my child his life.
who made who

Portageville, MO

#21 Aug 13, 2012
Good idea. What were the names of the businesses that were selling them ?
whatever wrote:
And if you're against drugs, and I am, then don't do business with any of these places. Stand by your convictions and hit them where it hurts, in the pocketbook!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drugs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Woman found dead after fire in Tampa apartment (Oct '11) 18 min Justice 17
News Pot legalization backers kick off California ca... 22 min Go Blue Forever 1
News Gay sex and crystal meth (Jul '08) 2 hr imaginarylover 223
News Crackdown on illegal drugs in Tamaqua area 3 hr hillbillies do he... 9
News California man charged with bringing methamphet... 10 hr Gina 1
News Reports: Ex-Massachusetts chemist high at work ... 18 hr Jenny 1
News Scientologist Tom Cruise Rants: Psychiatry 'Cri... (Jan '08) 18 hr HumanSpirit 402
More from around the web