Newport police say abuse of Prescript...

Newport police say abuse of Prescription Drug 'Opana' deadly

There are 119 comments on the WATE-TV Knoxville story from Mar 13, 2009, titled Newport police say abuse of Prescription Drug 'Opana' deadly. In it, WATE-TV Knoxville reports that:

The newest prescription drug on the streets is Opana or Oxymorphone in its extended release tablet according to the Newport Police Department.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WATE-TV Knoxville.

lindsay

Smyrna, TN

#21 Mar 25, 2009
I LOVE DUSTIN SNEED, he was one of the best people i ever knew and i think everybody on here talking about how he made poor choices are pathetic and never knew dustin and you dont know the effect is has had on everybody that he knew. and he will be missed by everyone!!!!!
Thinking

Kodak, TN

#22 Mar 27, 2009
serialsam wrote:
<quoted text>
one just has to wonder why you would bring this up now after so many days. i think it makes you feel important and you like being the center of attention whether its good or bad. you just want to be the one everybody is talking about or argueing with. my suggestion would be for you to get some sort of psychiatric help because you definantly have issues. i almost feel sorry for how sad your life in the real world must be.
It sounds to me like YOU are the one who needs help. Or are having problems dealing with the real world. Maybe this poster "brought it up after so many days" because that was the next time they posted. You seem to be the one who needs to be talked to or wanting attention. Some people actually have a life other than topix. Maybe YOU should try that.
Why

Nashville, TN

#23 Mar 27, 2009
Why are you always taking up for this poster?

-Everyone- on the board (including myself) see the problem with the poster. Why don't you?
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
It sounds to me like YOU are the one who needs help. Or are having problems dealing with the real world. Maybe this poster "brought it up after so many days" because that was the next time they posted. You seem to be the one who needs to be talked to or wanting attention. Some people actually have a life other than topix. Maybe YOU should try that.
Thinking

Knoxville, TN

#24 Mar 28, 2009
Why do you change your name every time you post.

There is nothing wrong with this poster. Why are YOU always trying to pick a fight. You take one or two things YOU don't agree with and say it's negative and try to argue. Just because you don't agree with someone doesn't mean their comments are negative.

I could also ask WHY ARE YOU STILL TRYING TO PICK A FIGHT WITH THE POSTER. I NOTICE YOU ARE STILL TALKING ABOUT A POSTER YOU DON'T LIKE AND THEY HAVE NOT EVEN BEEN BACK IN THE THREAD. If people would just post their opinion, respect the opinions of others and go on with life there would probably be more people posting in this thread. The Newport thread seems to have too much drama and that's why nobody wants to post in here for very long.
Thinking

Knoxville, TN

#25 Mar 28, 2009
AND FYI - EVERYONE ON THIS BOARD DOES NOT AGREE WITH YOU. THERE ARE SEVERAL THREADS WHERE OTHER POSTER HAVE TOTALLY AGREED WITH THIS POSTER I HAVE DEFENDED.
To Thinking

Nashville, TN

#26 Mar 28, 2009
Thinking wrote:
Why do you change your name every time you post.
There is nothing wrong with this poster. Why are YOU always trying to pick a fight. You take one or two things YOU don't agree with and say it's negative and try to argue. Just because you don't agree with someone doesn't mean their comments are negative.
I could also ask WHY ARE YOU STILL TRYING TO PICK A FIGHT WITH THE POSTER. I NOTICE YOU ARE STILL TALKING ABOUT A POSTER YOU DON'T LIKE AND THEY HAVE NOT EVEN BEEN BACK IN THE THREAD. If people would just post their opinion, respect the opinions of others and go on with life there would probably be more people posting in this thread. The Newport thread seems to have too much drama and that's why nobody wants to post in here for very long.
Your posts are laden with contradictory statements.
justsomedude

United States

#27 Mar 28, 2009
i can not tell you guys what a relief it is to no that i am not the only poster who thinks that "newport" finds negativity in everything she posts about. I wasnt trying to pick a fight with her over the whole opana mess but anyone who doesnt think its tragic when someone dies needlessly (especially an 18 year old kid)is in my opinion a heartless person with ice in their veins. i went back and read every post she had left that i could find and wasnt able to find even 1 that wasnt hateful and unkind. the worst part is,according to her,she works at cocke county baptist. that is the last sort of person i would want caring for my family.
Hmmm

Knoxville, TN

#28 Mar 29, 2009
I find it interesting that dude and the every changing name poster from Sevierville not only attack everything that "Newport" says but they can't stop talking about the poster and worrying about the poster even when they are not posting in this thread. Time for you two to get a life.
tootsie

Nashville, TN

#29 Apr 2, 2009
FromMyPerspective wrote:
The public in general needs to be educated on chronic pain management because the "abusers" surely are. Opana ER is an extremely effective medication for controlling moderate to severe chronic pain. It is not intended for recreational usage. The delivery system of Opana was intended to limit, if not prevent, its abuse. However, if one of any age chooses to abuse a drug, they are able to figure out a method. Providers of medicine are damned if they do and damned if they don't assist patients with their needs. Personally, if I suffered from chronic pain, I would be irate to be told I could not be helped just because I live in an area "the Appalachian region" notorious for drug misuse and abuse....which is where we may find ourselves. The underlying issue is just not prescription drug abuse, but rampant drug use in our county overall. It seems our law enforcement's hands are tied when it comes to our known offenders who walk out of the pharmacy to the next corner and sell their Suboxone or Opana. Paid for by Tenn Care no less. As a community, we need to take an open stand against all drug abuse and utilize the hotlines to report suspicious behavior. Regardless of age, the deaths were unnecessary tragedies. Drug abuse changes the brain in structure and function making it dfficult for the addict to make rational decisions. Instead of placing blame, we need to be pro-active in prevention instead of just being relieved it wasn't a family member of ours. I am waiting for a call anyday to tell me meth has killed my baby. Only she's no longer my baby. She is an addict who lies, steals, and prostitutes to get her fix. She has a court date for forgery, but will be released without repercussions because she stays just low enough below the radar to avoid the interest of the law...despite the numerous times she has been reported. Anyway, I regress, forgive me and let's quit arguing amongst ourselves and join together somehow to stop this madness.
1. Let me tell you I lost a child not her meds but her husbands that I had raised pure hell over,The reason Tenncare will pay for this shit is because the doctor will write one for one meds and when the drud store runs it Teencare rejects with a little memo saying we will pay for this or that medication get the patient to go back get their doctor to write it, for one the first medication isnt as strong or dont have what Teencare calls as the drug code to take care of the funds, the second meds is a lot cheaper for Teencare to get from the company, lets all go vote for someone who will help us with Teencare and get what they need instead of short cuts.
tootsie

Nashville, TN

#30 Apr 2, 2009
Newport wrote:
The deaths were published in the local newspaper.
The cause of death is not usually listed in the obituary unless the family puts it there. Most family members are not going to put "my son died because he over dosed on Opana". Everybody knew it anyway. I have heard from people who work in the ER, drive ambulances, and police (all people who would know) that a big majority of these "sudden deaths" in younger people are from drug over doses. What really gets me is why are so many people being given these drugs by doctors.
There are not that many people in the last stages of cancer and needing this high and powerful of a pain killer. If people were not given perscriptions for these drugs then druggies would not be able to steal them. I don't feel sorry for druggies who die from abusing drugs. They make the decision to use drugs. It's their choice.
As for Newport being a bad place --
Newport is no worse than any other place. WATE will report anything negative they can about Newport. Pay attention to what's on the news stations. When Roland Dyke was killed in the car accident channel 8 and 10 both had a story on their station about it. Channel 6 said nothing.
Anything something bad happens here that can give bad publicity to Newport you can bet it will be on channel 6. And lots of times channel 8 and 10 will mention nothing about it.
Knoxville has a drive by at least once a day and usually multiple times a day. People are murdered there everyday. The drugs are much worse than in Newport. You also have the same problems in Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, and every other town in America. No town is immune to drug abuse.
Newport, you said the truth no town, my daughter live in Morristown she over dose on non pain meds,the main reason why a doctor give this kind of meds is the patient go back over and over telling the doc nothing is helping me, he keeps upping their meds, the doc is getting more funds so patient is getting more meds.God knows I grieve every second for my child,my life is pure hell,My heart hurts so bad,cant eat or sleep cause the miss of my child, believe me it hurts, so what made my child do this THE JUSTICE SYSTEM,it is so dirty as my mom[88 years old] used to tell all[18] children money talks and bullshit walks.
tootsie

Nashville, TN

#31 Apr 2, 2009
gofightingcocks wrote:
why do these drug deaths not get reported in our local newspaper? five in the past few months? this is the first ive heard of it. i love how our local newspaper paints newport as the ideal place to live. ive always heard that newport is MUCH worse than is made out to be in the newspaper. they dont want to report all the actual crime here as not to scare off tourists and old retirees from up north.
Do you or anyone knows who the drug overdose was in Newpory? What was their name?
Hello

Kodak, TN

#32 Apr 2, 2009
tootsie wrote:
<quoted text>Newport, you said the truth no town, my daughter live in Morristown she over dose on non pain meds,the main reason why a doctor give this kind of meds is the patient go back over and over telling the doc nothing is helping me, he keeps upping their meds, the doc is getting more funds so patient is getting more meds.God knows I grieve every second for my child,my life is pure hell,My heart hurts so bad,cant eat or sleep cause the miss of my child, believe me it hurts, so what made my child do this THE JUSTICE SYSTEM,it is so dirty as my mom[88 years old] used to tell all[18] children money talks and bullshit walks.
You have 17 brothers and sisters? Wow!

I agree that the doctors don't care. Some do but most will give a person whatever they want. I know of several that all you have to do is go in and say "I want this and they will give it to you". How they keep a license is beyond me. And I also figure a lot of the people who go in and get the drugs probably do not take them but sell them.
Hello

Kodak, TN

#33 Apr 2, 2009
tootsie wrote:
<quoted text> Do you or anyone knows who the drug overdose was in Newpory? What was their name?
A couple of the names were listed in this thread.
There were 5 within about 10 weeks. There was a story in the Newport Plain Talk and also on Wate.
FromMyPerspectiv e

White Pine, TN

#34 Apr 5, 2009
tootsie wrote:
<quoted text> 1. Let me tell you I lost a child not her meds but her husbands that I had raised pure hell over,The reason Tenncare will pay for this shit is because the doctor will write one for one meds and when the drud store runs it Teencare rejects with a little memo saying we will pay for this or that medication get the patient to go back get their doctor to write it, for one the first medication isnt as strong or dont have what Teencare calls as the drug code to take care of the funds, the second meds is a lot cheaper for Teencare to get from the company, lets all go vote for someone who will help us with Teencare and get what they need instead of short cuts.
Opana is not an inexpensive drug. Tenncare pays for what is on their formulary as does any other insurance. The healthcare provider is notified by the pharmacy when a medication is not covered and either has to provide documentation as to why only this medication will work or prescribe the preferred medication. Most providers follow guidelines established by evidenced based medicine. Raising "pure hell" with TennCare because your daughter took her husband's meds was a waste of time...understand this...Not their problem!!!! I admit I got off the topic by injecting a personal point in my initial posting and I am sorry about your daughter but no one forced her to take those meds. I don't understand the relevance of politics and pain management. Insurance companies dictate in today's world. Back to the topic, Opana is a very effective pain medication for appropriate disease processes when used as directed. No where on any bottle or any piece of literature does it say.." Take as much of this as you feel you need, or if taking this med by mouth does not work you may bake it or mix it with ammonia to be injected or snorted, nor please share this med with any of your family nad friends who hurt or who do not hurt...just share." As a healthcare provider, I am personally SICK and TIRED of being blamed for patients' poor choices. I did Not light 50 years of cigarettes for you and I did not cater your meals so that you weigh twice as much as you should and I BELIEVED you when you cried about your back screaming "Only Narcotics work and I'm highly allergic to Ibuprofen." as you continue to show up in my office daily until I find out you are allegedly selling or using your meds inappropriately. Please note by using 'You" in this posting, it is meant collectively and not you personally. Take responsibility for your own actions. Please do not respond with something ignorant or unintelligible because I do not care. You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that, but I prefer intellectual debates and comments instead of personal, narrow-minded responses.
FromMyPerspectiv e

White Pine, TN

#35 Apr 5, 2009
crazymomma2 wrote:
I know of one opana overdose that resulted in death. Does anyone remember Dustin Sneed just a couple of weeks ago? Now his fiance has a baby to raise alone. I also know another guy at Cosby who is abusing opana. I bet you all know Mr. Bice well, he's one of the biggest drug addicts in Cosby.

Report Mr. Bice to the authorities. Dustin Sneed is a sad statistic, but I bet you anything the autopsy found multiple drugs in his system and not one of them was prescribed for him. Now, if he had a mental health issue, we are greatly undertreating that and we should be held accountable to some degree(at least those of us who knew him...I did not) because we did not direct him toward appropriate help. Grieve for his family, but do not uphold drug abuse.
FromMyPerspectiv e

White Pine, TN

#36 Apr 5, 2009
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
You have 17 brothers and sisters? Wow!
I agree that the doctors don't care. Some do but most will give a person whatever they want. I know of several that all you have to do is go in and say "I want this and they will give it to you". How they keep a license is beyond me. And I also figure a lot of the people who go in and get the drugs probably do not take them but sell them.
Keeping a license is not easy when standards of care keep reminding us "patients are entitled to appropriate pain management and pain is subjective..if a patient says they hurt, they hurt. You must treat them." Ignorance is bliss. I went into healthcare hoping to save the world, now I mostly want to save my ASS. Not everyone is a drug seeker or abuser, but there are enough to make me want to PUKE. On the upside, the Opana deaths say a lot about the potential of Newport druggies. Opana was supposedly "un-abusable", but we found a way in Newport. In Newport, we have the world's greatest under-achievers....why could they not have taken that talent and knowledge and helped to find a cure for cancer?
justsomedude

United States

#37 Apr 5, 2009
FromMyPerspective wrote:
<quoted text> Keeping a license is not easy when standards of care keep reminding us "patients are entitled to appropriate pain management and pain is subjective..if a patient says they hurt, they hurt. You must treat them." Ignorance is bliss. I went into healthcare hoping to save the world, now I mostly want to save my ASS. Not everyone is a drug seeker or abuser, but there are enough to make me want to PUKE. On the upside, the Opana deaths say a lot about the potential of Newport druggies. Opana was supposedly "un-abusable", but we found a way in Newport. In Newport, we have the world's greatest under-achievers....why could they not have taken that talent and knowledge and helped to find a cure for cancer?
finally! I knew if I waited long enough someone would finally say something that maked sense. Thank you!
FromMyPerspectiv e

White Pine, TN

#38 Apr 5, 2009
justsomedude wrote:
<quoted text>
finally! I knew if I waited long enough someone would finally say something that maked sense. Thank you!
Thank you for noticing. You are not too shabby yourself. Now, if we can find some more people with the ability to debate, refute, uphold, support their perspectives without resorting to inane responses, this forum may take off.
The Truth

Yorktown, VA

#39 Jun 17, 2009
Because the Daily Press lives in political lala land. If they are not reporting something, it usually has something to do with covering for someone of importance. The DP isn't a newspaper for the people, it is a corrupt political wheel.
gofightingcocks wrote:
why do these drug deaths not get reported in our local newspaper? five in the past few months? this is the first ive heard of it. i love how our local newspaper paints newport as the ideal place to live. ive always heard that newport is MUCH worse than is made out to be in the newspaper. they dont want to report all the actual crime here as not to scare off tourists and old retirees from up north.
Wow

Kodak, TN

#40 Jun 17, 2009
The Truth wrote:
Because the Daily Press lives in political lala land. If they are not reporting something, it usually has something to do with covering for someone of importance. The DP isn't a newspaper for the people, it is a corrupt political wheel.
<quoted text>
The paper is not allowed to print WHY a person dies unless the family wants to disclose that in the obituary. But as far as a person using drugs at their own home and dying from an overdose WHY IS THAT NEWS? It's not. People are just nosey and want to know everything about everybody else.
Although if it were their kid I can sure bet they would not want it published that their kid was a druggie and died because of it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drugs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colorado weighs strategy for guarding against p... 1 hr USA Today 2
News Dunkirk man sentenced in major cocaine conspiracy 4 hr Buddha 5
News A year in jail for Pittsfield man caught with 1... 4 hr Salons 1
News Bridgeport deputy police chief retires with $45... 5 hr Impeach Trump and... 1
News Oklahoma senator resigns to fight charges of hi... 9 hr God 8
News Toronto police raid same Cannabis Culture marij... 18 hr waste of tax cash 1
News Drugs seized, 3 Mooresville men arrested after ... 19 hr Tn pride 1
More from around the web