Jessamine County officials alarmed at...

Jessamine County officials alarmed at rise in heroin use

There are 20 comments on the Jessamine Journal story from May 8, 2013, titled Jessamine County officials alarmed at rise in heroin use. In it, Jessamine Journal reports that:

The passage of House Bill 1 in 2012, better known as the pill-mill bill, made it much more difficult for drug addicts to abuse prescription pain pills.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Jessamine Journal.

Ksp

Georgetown, KY

#1 May 9, 2013
This is happening to the whole state. The Gov thought he was winning the war on drugs by closing the pill mills. I think something needed to be done, however, no one thought it would make pills so hard to access that people would seek heroin. I lost too many friends to pills and what are left have become junkies. Seeing people of all ages, from all walks of life becoming addicted to a needle is crazy. And to think we once thought it was horrible that people were snorting pills, that seems harmless compared to this heroin epidemic. I feel that drug rehab and meds to sustain cravings should be free. Think about it, if an addict has money they can purchase illegal drugs or pay for rehab. The meds that are prescribed to get off drugs are as expensive as street drugs. Drug addiction has many parts, physical, mental, and behavioral. There are meds to help with physical withdrawal( which can also be abused), but an addict needs counseling and treatment to treat the mental and behavioral process. Every drug addict wishes they had never started. No one aspires to be an addict. It is truly a disease. It's easier for an addict to continue to use. It takes a sincere desire to quit. In my opinion if treatment and meds were free of charge if combined maybe it would make an addict consider getting clean. When an addict decides to seek treatment and detox they must wait for availability for a spot to open in a facility and pay a large amount of money. Not everyone has loved ones to pay for them. This in turn makes an addict keep spending money on their habit. Heroin is not new, it's been around a long time. This new bill has succeeded in reducing access to pills, but an uglier monster has reared it's head. I have been an addict for years, in recovery, then relapse, recovery again, relapse. I will live with this the rest of my life. If people would spend more time helping than judging people we might feel more inclined to stay clean. Make treatment and meds free so it's easier for serious people to get better and stay that way.
XXXXXXXXXXX

AOL

#2 May 9, 2013
People will always find a way to get high !!! But it is a shame ! I never understood , how someone can be sitting around and think , wow it would be a good idea to ruin my life !
car mat

Lexington, KY

#3 May 9, 2013
give them all they want ,
funny

Louisville, KY

#4 May 9, 2013
Exactly! Let em shoot. Attrition will eventually fix things.
car mat wrote:
give them all they want ,
why

Lexington, KY

#5 May 9, 2013
The last two comments are sad. If you have ever watched a life go down the drain because of drugs,you wouldn't be saying that. Shame on you both!Nobody chooses to be an addict!Recovery is a long hard road. Think before you judge.
INFO

Lexington, KY

#6 May 9, 2013
funny wrote:
Exactly! Let em shoot. Attrition will eventually fix things. <quoted text>
You'd know all bout that wouldn't ya,TB?
what do ya Know

Indianapolis, IN

#7 May 10, 2013
I did not sit and think one day as to how to ruin my life by taking that first pill. I became dependent upon meds cuz of a motorcycle wreck that almost killed me. Now, After five years, I wish I would have died. Because in a sense, I have. For those of you that thinks everyone that has issues with pills DESERVE to die, rest assure we do too. Its a terrible road. When prescribed meds I didn't know that this is where I would end up. I've never shot up. I have snorted pills. I've never seen heroin. Don't want to. The way I am about pills, heroin would probably be Good. Rehab is not accessible to me. I don't expect people without blemishes to understand. I simply want a fair chance that Just maybe one day before I leave this world can get the simple and humble old me back. I haven't seen him in a long time. I don't remember him. I recall him laughing and smiling and loving and living without shame. Where did he go? When did he leave? Where is he at now? I sure do miss him.
XYZ

Louisville, KY

#8 May 10, 2013
what do ya Know wrote:
I did not sit and think one day as to how to ruin my life by taking that first pill. I became dependent upon meds cuz of a motorcycle wreck that almost killed me. Now, After five years, I wish I would have died. Because in a sense, I have. For those of you that thinks everyone that has issues with pills DESERVE to die, rest assure we do too. Its a terrible road. When prescribed meds I didn't know that this is where I would end up. I've never shot up. I have snorted pills. I've never seen heroin. Don't want to. The way I am about pills, heroin would probably be Good. Rehab is not accessible to me. I don't expect people without blemishes to understand. I simply want a fair chance that Just maybe one day before I leave this world can get the simple and humble old me back. I haven't seen him in a long time. I don't remember him. I recall him laughing and smiling and loving and living without shame. Where did he go? When did he leave? Where is he at now? I sure do miss him.
You can find yourself again.You gotta want it bad enough though.I'll say a prayer for you. Never give up.
Good Luck

Lexington, KY

#9 May 10, 2013
I wish you well. I hope you can find your way back to your old life. I am sure you are aware it's not just you that the drugs are hurting... Your family suffers from your addiction too. Good luck to you.... I do hope you can find your way back....
what do ya Know wrote:
urkiddingme

Berea, KY

#10 May 10, 2013
why wrote:
The last two comments are sad. If you have ever watched a life go down the drain because of drugs,you wouldn't be saying that. Shame on you both!Nobody chooses to be an addict!Recovery is a long hard road. Think before you judge.
No one chooses to be an addict? Seriously? Nobody holds them down and forces them to do it. It's thier decision what they put in their body, nobody else's!
Kevin

Nicholasville, KY

#11 May 11, 2013
They went to far with the pill laws. I know a 70 year old man who had terminal cancer and the doctors actually told him good luck getting any kind of pain meds with the way the state is acting. It was true to, he never got any real pain meds until he went on hospice. They have made it hard for people who really need the pills, and yet the druggies just go out of state and get them. Now they have brought back an even worse drug. I read the article in the paper about their being one heroine overdose per week, and how the heroine arrest have gone up. Just think how high the arrest number would be in this town if the police actually worked.
So Sad

Louisville, KY

#12 May 14, 2013
This subject really made me stop to think. I use to think that all people had a choice in what they did, until it hit my family. Children that I watched grow up, good kids, have fell into this epidemic. Yes they did choose to take that first pill and the second and so on but now they can't stop. They have begged, borrowed and stole from the very people that they love and show no outward shame, but because I know these kids, they do feel shame and would like to stop and get back their lives and quit putting love ones through the hell that they live in. I can only pray for all the addicts. I wish I knew how to help them. It makes me feel useless. I know I can't fix them only they can fix themselves.
Really

United States

#13 May 15, 2013
Methadone clinics
XYZ

Louisville, KY

#14 May 15, 2013
Drug abuse.....don't start. You won't have to stop.
In the name if jesus

United States

#15 May 17, 2013
The title says it all..... Jesus we've taken him out of our lives and still forget whose in charge....prayer DOES work.. You just need to pray and believe... So if everyone on here making their statements lets all pray for these addicts.... Where two or more pray a blessing will happen so I'm going to start with the gentlemen in the motorcycle wreck... The law had been fighting this drug war forever and so its addicts.... Lets make a change the old fashion way PRAY
what do ya know

Whiteland, IN

#16 May 17, 2013
I appreciate the kind words of all of you and the support. To the one that is offering prayer up for me to the Almighty, yes, please do. Please remember me in prayer as often as you think of me. Even tho the Lord knows me by name, you can refer to me by Johnson. If it wasn't for the Lord, I wouldn't have come as far as I have. Its a trickling down disease. I've basically given up on everything and everybody except God. I thank my parents for teaching me and guiding me to the Lord. Like the song...WITHOUT HIM, HOW LOST I WOULD BE ....
Looks like we've all been blessed with a beautiful morning. Enjoy this day for He hath made it.
In the name if jesus

United States

#18 May 17, 2013
Just remember he will never leave you or forsake you...you are the one that has to open the door hes there knocking :) so mr johnson never give up and your parents guided you right cause the holy spirit still guides you.... When you pray tonight pray for all addicts, as l will to!
James

Lexington, KY

#19 May 18, 2013
It's not like Nicholasville Police could find or fix the problem...Jeeze these guys cant find their own ass with both hands !LOL

I agree..Let em shoot...Trouble is they are going to be robbing and burglarizing even more to pay for their habit....And Again if you get robbed Nicholasville Police will show up and ask...."What do you want us to do about it?"
James

Indianapolis, IN

#20 May 18, 2013
I'm sorry I even commented. I really shouldn't have the freedom of speech. I couldn't find common sense with both if NY hands! Lol.
I'm self centered. I hate cops therefore I plaster them every chance I details. Just over look my ignorance.
huh

Nicholasville, KY

#21 May 18, 2013
If you're going to try to mock people, try to use grammar that someone can understand?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drugs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Habitual Offending Husband and Wife Arrested - ... (Aug '10) 5 min redeemed 84
News Pot legality in other states making it tricky I... 1 hr Stephany McDowell 1
News City Man Linked To Quincy Turner Murder Sentenc... 3 hr yeah right. 24
News 5 to be arraigned on drug charges in Jamestown,... (Mar '13) 5 hr Mike 48
News FB pair arrested with 2 pounds, 10 plants of ma... (Dec '10) 13 hr Lmfao 33
News After officer's wake, cops nab drug suspect (Mar '09) 21 hr Go Blue Forever 212
News Criminal complaint details brutal slaying of Ne... Fri Little Angel in H... 2
More from around the web