Methadone ranks No. 1 in N.C. drug overdose deaths

Methadone - a drug best known for helping wean addicts off heroin -- is now the leading killer in North Carolina among those who accidentally overdose. Full Story
First Prev
of 121
Next Last
critracer

Oklahoma City, OK

#1 Mar 15, 2006
I just hope and pray that people in pain management arent going to be facing another media outcry about methadone . First it was oxycontin, which I was prescibed in Oklahoma for pain , but when I moved to N.C there as not a Dr. around that would continue my therapy. I was then put on methadone for pain managment ,which works very well with spinal injuries due to the fact it transmits through the central nervous system ie spinal pathways. I just hope that the conservative lobbyists who oppose these type drugs, are abused by addicts that will get high and od on whatever is in vouge with what
Dr's are writing
sad mom

United States

#2 Apr 10, 2006
I dont think the relief of some peoples physical pain is worth the horrendous pain mothers all around the country are feeling after loosing their child to an overdose of methadone in pill form. This is killing our children, there must be some other solution to the pain problem for many people than to have this very lethal drug made and distributed in pill form, made available to kids for a few bucks by unscupulous drug dealers. My only son died from a methadone overdose in pill form accidentaly. I would gladly take the worst physical pain in trade for this.
Brooke

Cantonment, FL

#3 Apr 10, 2006
My father was on Oxycontin, his Pain Mgt doctor has switched him to Methadone now. This is very scary for me, I can see a big change in my dad. He's not the same man that I knew. I also know a young man that took this stuff, without a script ans ultimatly it ended his life.
harrisfan

Newark, NJ

#4 Apr 10, 2006
I know someone who got a hold of some methadone pills and mixed it with xanex and didn't wake up the next day. She was in intensive care for over a week, they unplugged her twice. Both times she curled up into a ball. They said she was brain dead for atleast a week. She miraculously woke up after a group of men prayed over her. She is fine now. She was hooked on pain pills real bad at one time and it ruined her life pretty much. She took the methadone because she needed a fix real bad. It's a miracle she is alive, I hope she just realizes that and changes her life. Drugs kill!
mom

Rancho Cordova, CA

#5 Apr 10, 2006
oxy, methadone - they are all killers...our society is heavily burdened with drug abuse these days.. it can happen to anyone without realizing. Thank God for the program that helps addicts get their lives together.. Hope and healing is what we need today.
mom

Rancho Cordova, CA

#6 Apr 10, 2006
sad mom wrote:
I dont think the relief of some peoples physical pain is worth the horrendous pain mothers all around the country are feeling after loosing their child to an overdose of methadone in pill form. This is killing our children, there must be some other solution to the pain problem for many people than to have this very lethal drug made and distributed in pill form, made available to kids for a few bucks by unscupulous drug dealers. My only son died from a methadone overdose in pill form accidentaly. I would gladly take the worst physical pain in trade for this.
I am so sorry you lost your son. I agree - these prescriptions should be monitored much better by the medical profession.
louise

UK

#9 Apr 19, 2006
I lost my first love to this drug,he was 18yrs old and not a heavy drugs user.A lot of addicts sell their scripts to buy street drugs over here.
christian compaq

High Point, NC

#10 Apr 19, 2006
Do all you can do.and keep praying.prayer changes things God bless
G-Nome

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#11 Apr 19, 2006
harrisfan wrote:
I know someone who got a hold of some methadone pills and mixed it with xanex and didn't wake up the next day. She was in intensive care for over a week, they unplugged her twice. Both times she curled up into a ball. They said she was brain dead for atleast a week. She miraculously woke up after a group of men prayed over her. She is fine now. She was hooked on pain pills real bad at one time and it ruined her life pretty much. She took the methadone because she needed a fix real bad. It's a miracle she is alive, I hope she just realizes that and changes her life. Drugs kill!
Why do you like being in N.C. Well at least its snowy over there.
Grace

North Wilkesboro, NC

#12 Apr 22, 2006
I was just changed from vicodin to methadone, for fibromyalgia, and myofiacial (?) pain syndrom, and I'm praying really hard that the Lord will help me deal with this change. I've read so much about methadone that it really scares me, and I'm not one to abuse any of my meds., but I've seen even the strongest of people fall to the power of a drug. I just keep praying, and reminding myself that my God is bigger than that tiny pill. My heart goes out to any out there that has lost a loved one due to this or any other drug. So far it seems to be working better than the vicodin did, and I don't have to take it as often, but the more I read about it the more I respect it, and fear it at the same time. Any of you reading this that pray, please keep me in your prayers, as I deal with this, that I will keep the right perspective, and not allow this med. to take control.(I'm human, and scared)
harrisfan

Newark, NJ

#13 Apr 22, 2006
Grace I will pray for you. Bless your heart. Just remember, I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.
Grace

North Wilkesboro, NC

#14 Apr 22, 2006
Thank you, and Plil. 4:13 is my favorite verse, and not a day goes by that I don't call on it for strength. Prayer is powerful, and God is the great physician, so I'm grateful for you, and your prayers. May His blessings be plentiful!
Frank

Albuquerque, NM

#15 May 1, 2006
Methadone is serious medication for pain. It’s not a toy. There is no cure for stupidity. America is for sale; you can by any drug on any street corner here. You have to be the one to protect yourself by following your doctor’s directions. People die from alcohol and cigarettes daily or unprotected sex (long term death). Stop trying to vilify methadone it’s a live saving drug when used properly. You do not get High on methadone, that’s were the danger lies…. If you try to get high on it you get dead….
Methadone need to be available to the people who need it for pain and drug detox…
Keep it under lock and key at all times even if you are just a pain patient. This prevents children or others from gaining access to it.
Manwithoutvision

Boston, MA

#16 May 2, 2006
Get rid of all foreign substance in the body.Feeling well is a matter of choice. After all of your searches... call to mind
what the scripture has said:
I guess you know I'm talking about the portion that comments on, going to all the doctors you will find yourself "NON-BETTER" but WORSE! & on top of that, YOU WILL BE OUT OF MONEY AND WORSE OFF THAN BEFORE. CATCH A CLUE. Get right! Get filled with faith.

manwithoutvision@yahoo.com
Manwithoutvision

Boston, MA

#17 May 2, 2006
Besides methadone is state sanctioned drug use.

let all of the like minded people stand up and be counted.
drug users get many options given to them.(American) Society,
with all of its' problems offers help to drug users on all sides.
The work has to take place in the mind of the individual.
Have a change of mind ... And the net result will be different.

Stick with an out dated and counter-productive mindset and
stick with a ridiculous way to spend i.e.,( waste )your life. get right ( proper thoughts ) to arrive at optimum solutions.

simple as pie why make it hard? Christ says:
" unless you can become like a little child...
you can in no way enter in. "

I'm going to go ahead and follow that advise.

leave the worries for the drug users and folks who will resist
every good and profitable suggestion.

This, by the way is not a sermon just an advisement.

Why not follow success? Why not be on top? Why not be a hero?
Why not follow an undefeated Genius? For me and my house...
We are going to stick with the "Boss" the Real Boss.
Waking Up - NC

Rock Hill, SC

#19 May 2, 2006
Recently I became aware of this animal known as Methadone. And it appears there are people that are benefiting from it,,,getting clean. But I know one it has enabled to do nothing. There are patients that exist solely because they sell 95% of there dosage, live low key on the profits, and take the last 5% before the monthly visit. And it is sickening to me because there is no motivation to get back to living. This is too easy,,,,and so it will continue until the system tightens up a bit again.
manwithoutvision

Brewster, MA

#20 May 2, 2006
Here here!!

lets all give a round of applause to:
Fort Mill SC.

Tighten-up
This and other undesireable statistics is the ruinous & tragic turn of events that remains when:

"Good people do NOTHING "

North Carolina is bursting at the seams with new, new, new.
Economy is jumping, jobs are everywhere, buildings are multiplying daily (state-wide), there is no reason why a group of like minded Do-Gooders!! Can not get a group together to combat dregs in the South's new Mecca!
I certainly hope that a few strong, old, connected so and so's, do what they are noted for.

Tough even handed policy making that works!

Could be a huge wake up call to the social managers...
You see, Enforcement is always 20/20 ... Always after the fact!

transporting and relocating problem people is no answer.

Start a policy State wide that:
Proclaims all of North Carolinas' "built-in" Fantastic desirability: Education centers, Business centers, recreation
centers, Shhheeeeeeeesh! the list is almost endless.

and further proclaim how... North Carolina is set to see a jump in population of some 42% over the next 21 years.
Then add a message which reveals how tough Southerners can be on social distortoions.

I say again to Fort Mill SC:::: BRAVO !

No New Liberal ((massachusetts-type)) policies in the south.
Care

AOL

#21 May 5, 2006
Grace wrote:
I was just changed from vicodin to methadone, for fibromyalgia, and myofiacial (?) pain syndrom, and I'm praying really hard that the Lord will help me deal with this change. I've read so much about methadone that it really scares me, and I'm not one to abuse any of my meds., but I've seen even the strongest of people fall to the power of a drug. I just keep praying, and reminding myself that my God is bigger than that tiny pill. My heart goes out to any out there that has lost a loved one due to this or any other drug. So far it seems to be working better than the vicodin did, and I don't have to take it as often, but the more I read about it the more I respect it, and fear it at the same time. Any of you reading this that pray, please keep me in your prayers, as I deal with this, that I will keep the right perspective, and not allow this med. to take control.(I'm human, and scared)
Dear Grace, I too am scared of the possibilities...I'll keep you in my prayers and I hope you'll do the same for me....It relieves my headaches, when nothing else can. I am concerned for the future and it'e effect. Only human too!
MethadoneMama

Avon Lake, OH

#22 May 6, 2006
Manwithoutvision....what about those that are not christian's....will they go to hell? Please....why bring religion into this? Educate yourself, my friend....methadone SAVES lives....not the other way around.

i will pray for YOU...that you not teach your children, if you have any...to be as closed minded as you are.....C
Care

AOL

#23 May 6, 2006
MethadoneMama wrote:
Manwithoutvision....what about those that are not christian's....will they go to hell? Please....why bring religion into this? Educate yourself, my friend....methadone SAVES lives....not the other way around.
i will pray for YOU...that you not teach your children, if you have any...to be as closed minded as you are.....C
I am soory you have misunderstood me 100% and to enlighten you would be futile. I have total respect for all who believe in what works for them and I applaud. I was hoping for some insight that I could incorporate into my program for peace of mind, not a religious reference. I'll sign off: Always looking beyond what can be seen for peace, and wishing that peace on the world.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 121
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drugs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Husband of woman charged in South Daytona fatal... 9 min Crow 5
Drug roundup in Raleigh Co. nets 28 arrests 2 hr Blues Man 2
Detente spawns Cuban worry on US migration rights 5 hr John 4
Man sentenced for sex, drug charges (Apr '08) 9 hr lil d 16
Massena man sentenced to prison for cocaine sale 14 hr ha ha 42
Erie's federal public defender takes Illinois p... 19 hr Taxpayer 1
Can GOP shatter 'Obama coalition' in 2016? Fri Zeppelin 1
More from around the web