Police chief says turning his son in was difficult

Apr 14, 2011 Full story: The Elizabethton Star 87

Chief Matt Bailey of the Elizabethton Police Department says the arrest of his son last month was the most difficult challenge he has ever faced.

Full Story
Puzzled

Jonesborough, TN

#67 Apr 18, 2011
Beer for my horses wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a newspaper that features the mug shots of folks arrested. You can by a most convenience stores. It is called, " Busted"
Oh yes. Thank you. I've seen that 'rag'. It is bad enough to get arrested/charged. Now who was the jerk that came up with this idea....just to make money. Probably a cop of some description! Its sad too for most likely some of these people pictured are not guilty. Yet, not having looked at the 'rag' I shouldn't say that. Maybe the pictures are those who have been found guilty and sentenced. Nevertheless, I still think it is questionable and still a rag...something along the line with those tabloid papers one is splatted by when they check out at the market and other stores.
Curious George

Louisville, TN

#68 Apr 19, 2011
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
The video has no sound...hmm, how convenient. Yet both news articles have comments praising the chief. Ahem....
The whole thing makes us wonder...just a little bit, ya know?
You are right, I clicked on the link and listened. Near the end of the video there is no sound.
I had seen the site before and I could have sworn that it had video and sound up to the end before.
Was the sound deleted at the end of the video?
actually

United States

#69 Apr 19, 2011
u
cartercounty wrote:
I doubt they record the day-to-day radio traffic around here. 911 calls, sure, but doubt its anything more than that.
actually 911 records everything..911 calls radio transmissions
Iknowpot

Nashville, TN

#70 Apr 19, 2011
The problem as I see it for the District Attorney's Office is that all future cases of similar facts should now be treated the same.
This means that all simple possessions of marijuana with paraphrenalia must have the paraphrenalia charges dropped. So, if you have pot and scales or pot and papers, or pot and a pipe, those items listed of paraphrenalia must be dismissed.
Otherwise, the chiefs son got special treatment and the other poor common people get the extra criminal charge, fine and court costs.
BIG GOOF THERE MR, D.A. I hope all your assistants now know to dismiss paraphrenalia with pot charges.
Faithful

Johnson City, TN

#71 Apr 20, 2011
Let me tell you what upsets me. There are politics in every town, and in every branch of government there are crooked people and dishonest events, including the good ole boy system. Let me tell you another story. I personally know of a young man who has tried on several occasions to be hired into law enforcement in this town. Guess what ? Because of his prior training and positions higher up than law enforcement in this town they will not even talk to him. He keeps getting overlooked. Because he has major government contacts, has a reputation of being very honest, and i personally believe they are afraid if he sees these kinds of acts he will make a stand. I have known him since he was 4 years old. Now, tell me how someone with specialized training and a flawless record is overlooked but we hire the people we do to protect us. Also found out that he received about 50 write ins for Sheriff. He is afraid to run because of his age and because of his lack of law enforcement at a local level, but at the same time he is someone we could trust to lead us. He does not want to make waves, but he cares about people, does not need crooked money and has more specialized investigation experience that probably the Chief of Police, Sheriff, and any two others investigators in this area. He has a stack of accomodations and I think it is a shame that here is someone who wants to fight for us, but afraid too because of the town. Instead lets hire those who we can use as puppets and control everything. I am not bitter and I have several close people who work in both of these agencies and they are the finest people and officers you will meet, but will they take a stand. I have respect for Chief Baily, but the law is the law. If you take the oath to SERVE and PROTECT. Those two things were broken. There are alot of people on this site. I am officially starting a movement for the mystery canidatt to either run for Sheriff or a Commissioner position so we can get honesty in our system. Not that it is not there, but those honest people are afraid to buck the system. So lets do this, if you are tired and fed up with the crooked in this town, lets start posting for those who want to stand up and fight but feel they would get no support. The new post is going to be Mystery Canadate for Sheriff and I will refer back to this post. Lets show good people we will support them. After all you do not need a name, but trust. We have faith in God, so lets have faith in an unknown. GO TO MYSTERY CANIDATE FOR CARTER COUNTY SHERIFF and show support. As the support comes in I will post more about this person. He was born and raised here, still resides here, and I support him.

Since: Mar 11

Steamboat Springs, CO

#72 Apr 20, 2011
Faithful wrote:
Let me tell you what upsets me. There are politics in every town, and in every branch of government there are crooked people and dishonest events, including the good ole boy system. Let me tell you another story. I personally know of a young man who has tried on several occasions to be hired into law enforcement in this town. Guess what ? Because of his prior training and positions higher up than law enforcement in this town they will not even talk to him. He keeps getting overlooked. Because he has major government contacts, has a reputation of being very honest, and i personally believe they are afraid if he sees these kinds of acts he will make a stand. I have known him since he was 4 years old. Now, tell me how someone with specialized training and a flawless record is overlooked but we hire the people we do to protect us. Also found out that he received about 50 write ins for Sheriff. He is afraid to run because of his age and because of his lack of law enforcement at a local level, but at the same time he is someone we could trust to lead us. He does not want to make waves, but he cares about people, does not need crooked money and has more specialized investigation experience that probably the Chief of Police, Sheriff, and any two others investigators in this area. He has a stack of accomodations and I think it is a shame that here is someone who wants to fight for us, but afraid too because of the town. Instead lets hire those who we can use as puppets and control everything. I am not bitter and I have several close people who work in both of these agencies and they are the finest people and officers you will meet, but will they take a stand. I have respect for Chief Baily, but the law is the law. If you take the oath to SERVE and PROTECT. Those two things were broken. There are alot of people on this site. I am officially starting a movement for the mystery canidatt to either run for Sheriff or a Commissioner position so we can get honesty in our system. Not that it is not there, but those honest people are afraid to buck the system. So lets do this, if you are tired and fed up with the crooked in this town, lets start posting for those who want to stand up and fight but feel they would get no support. The new post is going to be Mystery Canadate for Sheriff and I will refer back to this post. Lets show good people we will support them. After all you do not need a name, but trust. We have faith in God, so lets have faith in an unknown. GO TO MYSTERY CANIDATE FOR CARTER COUNTY SHERIFF and show support. As the support comes in I will post more about this person. He was born and raised here, still resides here, and I support him.
WOW!!! He really sounds like a real good officer! Hopefully he will get elected, do his job, then get shot by a welfare suck. That will make alot of people happy.
Faithful

Johnson City, TN

#73 Apr 20, 2011
Im not understanding your response elaborate. Keep in mind he does not work for them now, never has.
RealityCheck

Elizabethton, TN

#74 Apr 21, 2011
Nobody cares about your mystery candidate for sheriff for 2014, thats what they are saying Faithful. And learn how to spell.
Your "canidate". haha
truth hurts

Johnson City, TN

#75 Apr 21, 2011
Iknowpot wrote:
The problem as I see it for the District Attorney's Office is that all future cases of similar facts should now be treated the same.
This means that all simple possessions of marijuana with paraphrenalia must have the paraphrenalia charges dropped. So, if you have pot and scales or pot and papers, or pot and a pipe, those items listed of paraphrenalia must be dismissed.
Otherwise, the chiefs son got special treatment and the other poor common people get the extra criminal charge, fine and court costs.
BIG GOOF THERE MR, D.A. I hope all your assistants now know to dismiss paraphrenalia with pot charges.
Exactly, and if they don't treat you fairly and let you go about your way, then file a lawsuit against them for discrimination!
More truth

Johnson City, TN

#76 May 4, 2011
How convenient that the story has been removed by Elizabethton Star which told a different version of the truth. I guess are town newspaper is feeding into the corruption and covering up for the Chief. Great job Elizabethton Star.
Mark

Johnson City, TN

#77 Jan 24, 2013
<quoted text>
I do not see where myself or anyone else has bashed the child. I understand kids make mistakes and those of us that have them understand that full well. As far as the Chief and all of the media circus surrounding this you must remember he is the one doing the television interviews and newspaper interviews and not telling the same story. The boy admitted to his wrong doing. The Chief of Police is saying is Officers done the right thing and himself. That is not true. They allowed him to leave the traffic stop with drugs when they knew he had them. What the Officers done was became his enabler at that very time. If that were any other citizen with drugs in the amount to be considered for resale that person would have been arrested on the spot and their vehicle impounded.Who can disagree with me? Why the lapse of 26 days between him saying he took him to CID (where he stated that he was charged) So that tells me when taken to CID that day he was charged. So that should mean March the 4th not March 30. He was given 26 days to run free and go on with life. I feel we deserve answers not lies. If you want to share a story tell the truth not 3 different versions. I would like to know the Officers name that made the traffic stop, the names of the detectives that seen him leaving the drug residence with a package in his hand. Everyone involved including Police Chief Bailey should be put on unpaid leave until an investigation is done by the TBI surrounding the events of March 4th. We deserve the truth.
You are so right on! I agree with you whole heartedly. If Bailey can dish it out to the rest of Carter County, he should man up and dish it out to his son and not act as if the rules are for everyone else, not his family. Has there been any update on this?
Mark

Johnson City, TN

#78 Jan 24, 2013
More truth wrote:
How convenient that the story has been removed by Elizabethton Star which told a different version of the truth. I guess are town newspaper is feeding into the corruption and covering up for the Chief. Great job Elizabethton Star.
The Star does actually print lies.
Mark

Johnson City, TN

#79 Jan 24, 2013
Iknowpot wrote:
DA's office has a clue? NOT
Do You Think

Johnson City, TN

#80 Jan 24, 2013
Faithful wrote:
Could this be why he stepped down to lower position?
To Be Sure

Johnson City, TN

#81 Jan 24, 2013
Also another question Bailey. Why was you son not charged until March the 30th? This happened March the 4th, if you took him straight to CID after you searched him and found drugs? It does not take 26 days to arrest someone if they are standing in front of them. I still do not understand the differences between your story with both interviews you have done they both tell a different story. One of traffic stop blocks away and him admitting to officers he had drugs,the other of you being the one to find the drugs on him. Why does your stories not match?
Your sins will find you out.
done wrong

Kingsport, TN

#82 Jan 24, 2013
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
The Star does actually print lies.
They wont step on the good o boys toes .Very one sided in what they do print.Dont depend on the Star for your news .
Mark

Johnson City, TN

#83 Jan 24, 2013
done wrong wrote:
<quoted text>They wont step on the good o boys toes .Very one sided in what they do print.Dont depend on the Star for your news .
I don't depend on anything in Carter County. Too smart for that.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#84 Jan 24, 2013
Bailey can get on television and interview for newspapers all he desires and make himself out to be the loving father and play the pitiful him card. Not going to work this time Chief. We all know the only reason your son was turned in was because of the Topix post on March 23 telling everyone about your son and his little situation. First of all when your son is seen leaving a drug house with something in his hand why was he not stopped and arrested on the spot? Instead pulled over for a traffic violation? What traffic violation was that? If officers seen him come out of a drug residence why was he not searched on this alleged traffic stop? Why when you claim to have heard this entire situation going on via radio involving your son were you still sitting in a restaurant waiting for him? You claim to have told him you knew where he had been and knew what he was doing. You told him to turn himself in? My question is why was he turning himself in Chief? All you heard was your radio saying he was pulled over for a traffic violation supposedly. In another interview you said your son admitted to having drugs at the time in this traffic stop so why did your officers release him to leave and then he came to meet you for your alleged lunch? Then you state in this interview that you searched your son? I also question another statement you made. You said your son was going to school and had a part time job. March 4, was on a Friday so why was he not at school but rather out buying drugs and having lunch with his dear ole Dad? My theory here from piecing your interviews together is that, your son was seen coming from the drug house and most of us know that kind of surveillance is recorded so it can be used later in a court of law and the vehicle he was driving was registered to you so they let your son leave because the officers knew who he was and called you on the phone. They never had any contact with your son and you knowing that if that recorded evidence came up in court at a later time for a case relating to drug activity at that house you would have to answer many questions. It was kept quite until now; until it was posted on topix and somebody else knew the truth. That is the reason this happened. It was a cover-up that has been uncovered and now you must have a great story to take the spotlight off of your department and how they seen your son leaving the drug house with something in his hand and how he admitted to officers on a traffic stop he had drugs and they did not do their job and arrest him because of who their boss was. My friend your cover-up and lies I do believe have finally caught up with you. Your statement “ at the police dept were doing the right thing all the time” Is a outright lie if you were your officers would have arrested him when he admitted to having drugs on him. Your stories just do not match up Chief in your interview with Johnson City Press and the Elizabethton Star. You keep going back to how you done the right thing making him turn himself in and how you were not part of helping with the plea agreement, you were in a sense look who you are it was your son. Do you really think that does not hold some weight in the court system?
You have zero idea how the justice system works. Leaving a suspected "drug house" is not probable cause for a search nor stop. Get your facts down before posting such rubbish.
tjones

Johnson City, TN

#85 Jan 24, 2013
goes to show its who you know and for girls who you blow !!hahahaah in this town !!
Mark

Johnson City, TN

#86 Jan 24, 2013
frustratedveteran wrote:
<quoted text>
You have zero idea how the justice system works. Leaving a suspected "drug house" is not probable cause for a search nor stop. Get your facts down before posting such rubbish.
And I guess you don't know about possession in this case. Get YOUR facts straight.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drugs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What motivates political newcomers? 3 hr hopeless MPPs lik... 1
Bartow Sheriff Says He'll Ask GBI To Conduct In... (Nov '13) 4 hr Roy 17
'Classic crack house' raided (Feb '09) 6 hr Some Guy From Adams 36
Another candidate joins the race, Costco rumour... 9 hr Medewiwin 1
Voters, leaders made 2014 a watershed year for ... 10 hr Kid_Tomorrow 1
Detente spawns Cuban worry on US migration rights 20 hr John 6
Massena man sentenced to prison for cocaine sale 21 hr fudded up 45
More from around the web